Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 18th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

What would happen if we failed to finish 4th?

Read 11937 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: What would happen if we failed to finish 4th?
      Reply #115: Jan 24, 2012 05:31:34 pm
      What did the owners do with the red sox when they were not winning things ???? I think they will do the same here if we are not successful.

Only time will tell there are a lot of games left so i am not going to jump the gun,I think if we can get a winger or striker in we can push up the table.

The owners canned the previous regimes manager after they arrrived (ie Hodgson) then they gave the manager they chose 10 years at the helm until the wheels finally came off and it was time for him to go. We had great seasons at the Red Sox, and some disappointments but we had consistency with the General Manager and the Manager.

Consistency helps build a winning mentality and FSG knows that it is a top down organization that is there for the long haul. 2 managers in 11 years now so I don't see at all where Kenny is going to get the hook after one.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,303 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #116: Jan 24, 2012 05:48:49 pm
       :-[
      I expect more investment from the owners to help kenny reach the summit,thats what i expect if we fail to achieve 4th.
      The owners are no fools Kenny has spent nearly 100 million on a team that preformed better in the second half of last season, were most of the signings didn't play. I can't see us finishing forth, how many times have other teams above us dropped points only for us not to take advantage. I love KD but if things don't improve soon i fear for him.  :-[ :-[
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #117: Jan 24, 2012 07:26:23 pm
      Human sacrifice! Cats and dogs living together - Mass hysteria!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #118: Jan 24, 2012 09:07:43 pm
      Nothing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,393 posts | 4980 
      Reply #119: Jan 24, 2012 09:32:11 pm

Nice!

Pretty much how I see it.

I know being in the Champions League may attract some players but let's be honest there are more good players around than there are clubs in the Champions League who would be willing to buy those players.

Also if a player wants to sign for us only if we are in the Champions League then not really the type of player we should be looking at. I'm sure when players have an opportunity to sign for a club like ours then they see the bigger picture so to speak and presume at some stage they will get that opportunity.

The club have made huge leaps and bounds in the business side. 

I want the reds to finish as high up the league as possible - but I don't buy in to this complete reliance on CL money for a club the size of Liverpool.  I think it's a media fallacy - that modern fans have bought in to.

Agree with this in regards to the financial side of things as would the difference in revenue earned between finishing 5th and 4th really make much difference in the grand scheme of things?

I have a more old fashioned view and like it or not would rather win the League Cup or FA Cup or both and finish 5th than finish 4th and have no silverware at the end of the season. Obviously would like to compete in the European Cup and be trying to win it but 4th is not the be all and end all in my opinion.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #120: Jan 24, 2012 09:36:36 pm
      Seriously, every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows absolute F**k all about being a true die hard Liverpool supporter, will be calling for Kenny to be sacked. :-[

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #121: Jan 24, 2012 10:05:44 pm
      I dont think if we finish outside the top 4 this season that the owners will do anything negative, they know from being succesful business men that you get nowhere by not having consistancy

It wont be a massive disaster if we fail this season, it will be disapointing but not a disaster, lets face it the top 4 is harder to get into now than it was under Rafa, in those days there were the established 4 who pretty much finished there each season with the odd exception of the odd team pushing in and around it and then they would fall away the next. Now there is an established 6 who are fighting for 4 spots. There would be no guarantee that if we make it this year we will be "established" again, its going to be a fight for the forseeable seasons.

The owners have been working on getting the off the field side sorted out and are doing a great job at that and we must improve on it as well, we in my opinion still need another positive transfer window this summer to get the squad right for challenging again.

The other sides in and around us have been building for longer than a year which is what we have been doing, we cant expect it to happen in a few short months.

But in my opinion this season isnt done yet and we can still get there, yes we need to improve and we could do with bringing a fresh face in, we will have a fresh Suarez back in 3 games time and he and Stevie will be playing together fit for the first time, that could be devestating and we could go on a run that could throw us right in the mix again. We still have Arsenal and Chelsea to play at home in the second half of the season. Its not done yet please stay positive.

But if it doesnt happen then we will stay together as a club and fans and id expect us to start again in August with a couple of new additions to the squad and Kenny still in the dugout.
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #122: Jan 24, 2012 10:12:52 pm
      Everyone wants to be competing for the European Cup, but as SRSLFC has said, "It isn't the end all, be all of football."  It is important for financial reasons, and having the allure of being in the CL is good for recruiting top talent to Anfield, but at the end of the day, LFC will continue to move forward whether we are in the CL or not. 

Honestly, I think it could be a blessing in disguise if we play in the Europa League next season.  We have a whole host of talented youngsters who need game time to improve - Flano, Kelly, Coates, Wilson, Robinson, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso, Adjoran, etc.  They could all use the experience of playing in a competition like this and it could be huge for their development.  NESV seem to be looking at the long term picture, and getting the young lads more playing time is something that will help us be successful in the next 3-10 years. 

*** EDIT:  At the end of the day we do need to be playing some sort of European footie though.... I can't go another season having to wait a whole week between games  :'(
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #123: Jan 24, 2012 10:49:04 pm
      It's wont be the end of the world, I'm sure we'll at least be in the Europa Cup next year.  Most of our signings are still young, might have to take the baby steps, but we are getting there!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #124: Jan 24, 2012 11:21:11 pm
      F#ck all - because we are on right path?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,231 posts | 3396 
      Reply #125: Jan 24, 2012 11:23:47 pm
      If we failed to finish fourth who'd give a F**k because it means we'd of succeeded in coming first!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #126: Jan 25, 2012 12:55:05 am
      Everyone wants to be competing for the European Cup, but as SRSLFC has said, "It isn't the end all, be all of football."  It is important for financial reasons, and having the allure of being in the CL is good for recruiting top talent to Anfield, but at the end of the day, LFC will continue to move forward whether we are in the CL or not. 

Honestly, I think it could be a blessing in disguise if we play in the Europa League next season.  We have a whole host of talented youngsters who need game time to improve - Flano, Kelly, Coates, Wilson, Robinson, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso, Adjoran, etc.  They could all use the experience of playing in a competition like this and it could be huge for their development.  NESV seem to be looking at the long term picture, and getting the young lads more playing time is something that will help us be successful in the next 3-10 years. 

*** EDIT:  At the end of the day we do need to be playing some sort of European footie though.... I can't go another season having to wait a whole week between games  :'(

Yes....but the "blessing in disguise" is how we rationalised no European Football this year .....cos we were going to the moon .....we could concentrate on going for the title without any distractions.

We have none... distractions ....but we are 7th.

Seems like that is our natural gravitational position ..... the marker of all things ...... the Rafa line....etc etc.

So we can rationalise already that it will be good for us ..... but I think the higher the better because we are Liverpool Football Club.

Stick a youngster on in the CL against Real Madrid or AC Milan away.

Now THATS experience.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #127: Jan 25, 2012 01:16:11 am
      With as much time FSG gave Hodgson when we were god awful I feel like Kenny won't be sacked regardless whether we finished 4th this year.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #128: Jan 25, 2012 02:04:18 am
      Underperforming players "should" not "will" be sold; namely Carroll.
      I expect the departure of Kuyt, the arrival of a new forward.
      The offloading of Maxi, Aquilani & Cole. New recruits mainly in the wings department.
      I can't see any change in the back four, but maybe Coates/Wilson will get more match time next season.
      Kenny sacked? Unless we don't win the Carling Cup, no way! I know we most probably won't finish fourth or higher, but winning a cup is always a step forward, let alone if we manage to win both the Carling Cup and the FA Cup!
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #129: Jan 25, 2012 02:41:19 am
      Whether we finished 4th or not, few players like Maxi, Aquilani, Cole and Kuyt should be offloaded, and give way to the youngers.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #130: Jan 25, 2012 05:23:43 am
      Don't understand why everyone wants to dump Maxi, the guy has performed well and given his all every time he has been given a chance.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #131: Jan 26, 2012 02:42:14 pm
      Seeing as the finances are clearly not as imperative as they once were, then the major worry amongst fans must be keeping hold of players who want to play in the CL.  I don't want players who only want to play in the CL.  I want players who want to win the title and can turn up at Bolton away on a windy cold January day.

nail / head

This is what counts above all else, players here for the right reasons and long term. I fear though, the likes of Suarez won't hang around too long if CL isn't coming.
      He could easily do a 'Torres' I think
      worzelgummidge
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #132: Jan 26, 2012 02:47:50 pm
      Don't understand why everyone wants to dump Maxi, the guy has performed well and given his all every time he has been given a chance.

Disagree with that, i think he he is one of them players who can be in the right place at the right time and does score a fair number of important goals, but for the rest of the match...you hardly hear his name.

Quick Reply