Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Why can't we Score?

Read 17561 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,530 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Why can't we Score?
      Reply #161: Jan 18, 2012 03:09:54 pm
      It's more a case of strategy than players.

We run at teams full tilt and it's predictable because they know another wave will come soon. We only give them one option to worry about. Set up two banks of 5 and hold the fort so to speak.

We need to be able to retain possession around the centre of the pitch, and coax them out of their holes.

The days of attacking gung-ho and going 'mental' for 90 minutes are dying out. Defences are just too organized, too disciplined.

That's why we suffer more at home, teams just sit back knowing we'll keep hammering them with little guile/savvy/nous.

I'm available this Saturday if KK needs advice.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #162: Jan 19, 2012 03:33:35 pm
      Of the 98 sides in the top 5 leagues, Liverpool have had the 5th most shots per game (18) but the 57th most goals per game (1.14)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #163: Jan 19, 2012 03:37:36 pm
      What we need to do is get an early goal. If we can do that sh*t sides like Stoke would have to come out of their holes and take us on in a game of football.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #164: Jan 19, 2012 06:01:29 pm
      What we need to do is get an early goal. If we can do that sh*t sides like Stoke would have to come out of their holes and take us on in a game of football.
      But there lies the problem we don't score an early gold in fact lately we don't even score a goal.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #165: Jan 19, 2012 09:15:28 pm
      What actually happened?

We have the same forwards from last season but we were scoring for fun towards the end last season.

24 goals in 21 games is utterly pathetic and do the players not know that you have to score goals to win games?
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #166: Jan 19, 2012 09:26:25 pm
      What we need to do is get an early goal.

If only. You do realise what this thread is called? ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #167: Jan 19, 2012 09:35:51 pm
      24 goals in 21 games is utterly pathetic and do the players not know that you have to score goals to win games?

I am not taking the piss here but my 8 year old nephew could of contributed to the thread with a more mature comment that.

Seriously?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #168: Jan 20, 2012 12:13:17 am
      Wrong paint on the Goal-Posts.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #169: Jan 20, 2012 01:17:41 am
      We need red nets!
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #170: Jan 20, 2012 03:32:31 am
      Carroll has played bad, Suarez does everything else except score, our off the ball positioning/movement is horrible, our crosses go straight to the opponents defenders if they managed to get by them nobody is in the box (see ball off the ball positioning/movement)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #171: Jan 20, 2012 03:49:42 am
      Of the 98 sides in the top 5 leagues, Liverpool have had the 5th most shots per game (18) but the 57th most goals per game (1.14)

crazy stat. i'm not big on the number game but i'd love to see how we stack up in these rankings, compared to everyone in the top five leagues
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #172: Jan 20, 2012 07:13:52 am
      One of the primary reasons why we are shy in front of goals is not just the £35 million misfit but our midfielders are just not up to in terms of chipping in with the goals and that has exposed our weakness upfront,let not forget we had one recognised striker under rafa which was torres and the midfield of gerrard,alonso chipped in with kuyt getting in on the act too.

Spot on,if you look at some great Liverpool teams of the past,the midfielders always chipped in with their fair share of goals,Souness,Mcmahon,Whelan,Hougton,and a player who gets some stick on here Jamie redknapp i remember some absolute screamers he has scored for the club,looking at the current squad,excluding Gerrard,where are the goals coming from?

Its not unreasonable to expect 5 goals a season from each midfielder if they are starting most games,an extra 20 goals a season would make a huge difference as to where we finish in the league
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,530 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #173: Jan 20, 2012 07:57:48 am
      KK's signings of Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll haven't been good enough, especially when it comes to chipping in with their share of the goals.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #174: Jan 20, 2012 11:05:20 am
      KK's signings of Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll haven't been good enough, especially when it comes to chipping in with their share of the goals.

The midfield haven't been chipping in with enough goals but our forwards haven't exactly been prolific either but if redblood's stat is correct then we are getting enough attempts on goal, just not converting enough.

I still think it's a combination of not being clinical enough and a bit of bad luck which is easier rectified than if we weren't creating the chances in the first place.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #175: Jan 20, 2012 11:10:42 am
      As previously posted.. we are creating the same amount of chances as the Chavs and City but our conversion rate is 8%.

Joke.
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #176: Jan 20, 2012 04:27:38 pm
      We are just lulling the oposition into a false sense of security then pow we cruise into a Europa Cup spot !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #177: Jan 20, 2012 06:47:44 pm
      It looks like we need a player with some venom in his shooting,the likes of Jimmy Case, and J.A.R. come to mind.I think Daz is spot on with those stats,with a little bit of luck we would of been asking who will come second to us in the league.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #178: Jan 21, 2012 10:26:10 pm
      Why can't we score? Kenny signed a bunch of rubbish players. Simple as that.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #179: Jan 22, 2012 01:03:25 am
      Why can't we score? Kenny signed a bunch of rubbish players. Simple as that.

Adam and Carroll aside, most have been good signings. Every manager makes good and bad signings.

I love when people say "simple as that" as it's never actually as simple as/remotely relevant to what they say.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #180: Jan 22, 2012 06:48:24 am
      I know it would be wrong to blame luck but how else do you explain hitting wood work game after game especially when we need a goal the most.
      StevieG4life
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #181: Jan 22, 2012 10:49:37 am
      I think it's because of Liverpool's inability to complete their plan in the final third of the pitch. Why? It's one of these two things, or both:

1. The players are not clinical enough to complete those REALLY intelligent moves they thought of.

2. Kenny Dalglish is demanding too much of his players to try those EXTREMELY difficult moves. So difficult, not even the likes of Real Madrid or Barca actually attempts such silky football, due to the high technical requirement.

If King Kenny took over Real and told them to play like how Liverpool players do unsuccessfully, I guess they will be extremely dangerous...
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #182: Jan 22, 2012 12:09:15 pm
      To be fair to our play we do not create really tap in chances, we have shot on target does not mean we had to score and we need a goalscorer who can put those in. I think we do not get in good enough positions to score and yes we did miss one or 2 sitters due to good saves/misses but who doesnt.

In reality our play does not create that cutting edge chance that we should in order to score.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #183: Feb 06, 2012 10:26:47 pm
      This says it all really.

Quick Reply