Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Joe Cole: ‘I don’t know who signed me for Liverpool’

Read 10288 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,379 posts | 8631 
      Re: Joe Cole: ‘I don’t know who signed me for Liverpool’
      Reply #23: Dec 29, 2011 11:15:42 pm
      Not disputing that he is a nice fella, has been generous in his support etc etc. That's not really what I meant though, and I think you knew that. Anyway before we descend into silliness and nonsense, I re-iterate that I don't think rafa signed Cole or had much to do with it.

We know, it's the bloke who thought he was playing his own personal game of Football Manager and also had he had his way he would of sold Lucas to someone like Stoke.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #24: Dec 29, 2011 11:41:49 pm
      Says it all about the state the club was in.

It's all pretty irrelevant now, thankfully.

The hierarchy who were here during that awful, nightmare have gone and Roy has left - so no one who was there during the time are not connecting to the present, and much more bright, and better looking Liverpool.

Joe Cole's gone too - i know it's only on loan but i cannot see him back in a red shirt.

So everyone connected to that deal have left - and I'm very thankfully we have new, better owners, with a legendary manager in Dalglish.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #25: Dec 30, 2011 12:16:41 am
      He had. That said, I do clearly remember lots of people who like to portray all things Rafa as fantastic laying claim to the Cole signing when he first joined. "Rafa obviously scouted him" "Hodgson had f*ck all to do with it, this was all sorted out long ago" etc etc. Naturally once Cole turned out to be sh!te it became a Hodgson/Purslow signing, in much the same way that Robbie Keane became a Rick Parry one.

Anyway it's not important, and although it makes no difference now if Cole had been anywhere near the player he had been, it would have been a good move whoever was behind it. 

Don't know why you honestly listened to them.  Joe Cole is about as far away from a Rafa Benitez signing as you can get.  Doesn't work hard, poor game intelligence, not interested in becoming part of a collective unit - those people were clearly talking sh*t in the failed hope that Joe Cole would actually come good (oh how I ;D'ed at people who thought we'd fleeced Chelsea) and that Rafa could be congratulated for it.  Was never going to happen, even if Rafa did sign him the press would have decided that any good signing was clearly a masterstroke by Hodgson and any flops were clearly Rafa's legacy which he left behind - shame a whole bunch of morons and idiots swallowed that hook, line and sinker.

edit: Purslime signed him in his desperate effort to play football manager.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #26: Dec 30, 2011 05:22:23 am
      joe, it's not important that you know who signed you
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Dec 30, 2011 07:19:51 am
      Don't know why you honestly listened to them.  Joe Cole is about as far away from a Rafa Benitez signing as you can get.

I disagree mate to be honest mate.

I was one of the people who said Cole was a Rafa signing and I'll give you my reasons for it.

At the time we were looking at free signings as we were skint, Jovanovich being a prime example.

Joe Cole will have been watched and scouted under Rafa's tenure, the same as Meireles and Suarez.

Roy Hodgson admitted he did not even know Meireles best position, which shows he had F**k all to do with that signing.

No disrespect to West Brom, but before Roy left they wouldn't have been scouting Joe Cole.

Kenny admitted Suarez had been scouted by the club for a long time before we bought him.

That summer window, I'd say the only signings Roy had any input in were Konchesky and possibly Poulsen.

So whilst he may have been a Purslow signing, in my opinion he was selected and scouted as a target by Rafa.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Dec 30, 2011 07:33:27 am
       If Joe does not know who signed him for L.F.C. I suggest he has a word with his agent,his agent is the one who would of negotiated the signing on fee and wages so he would know who he was discussing terms with.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #29: Dec 30, 2011 09:01:19 am
      Tell's you a lot about Joe Cole though doesn't it, he didn't need convincing to come to Anfield - Harry at Spurs wanted him, so he must have wanted to come to Liverpool and it wasn't about the money....?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Dec 30, 2011 09:08:54 am
      Another thing I thought I'd add, Martin Broughton said he'd asked Rafa to compile a dossier of the players he wanted to let go and players that he'd had selected as targets to take us forward.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31: Dec 30, 2011 10:30:44 am
       This is a minefield and a can of worms it's probably best not getting involved in. Rafa had a large part to play in signing Joe Cole? Time for the hard hats to go on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32: Dec 30, 2011 10:33:37 am
      This is a minefield and a can of worms it's probably best not getting involved in. Rafa signed Joe Cole? Time for the hard hats to go on.

I'm not saying he signed him mate, quite the contrary.

I'm saying Rafa selected him as a target and we scouted him accordingly before signing him.

Quite a difference.

Do I think Roy signed him ?

No I don't.

Do I think Rafa signed him ?

No I don't.

Do I think Purslow signed him based on the scouing reports instigated by Rafa and the dossier supplied to Broughton by Rafa ?

Yes I do.

Which is why we pushed on with the Jovanovic signing after Rafa left too.

The facts in my opinion appear to back this up too.

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011 10:45:45 am by RedLFCBlood »
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #33: Dec 30, 2011 10:33:48 am
      Stevie wasnt it he was singing his praises he is has been. The best thing what can happen to him,he does well at lille and we sell him to them for 5 mill.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #34: Dec 30, 2011 10:40:19 am
      Stevie wasnt it he was singing his praises he is has been. The best thing what can happen to him,he does well at lille and we sell him to them for 5 mill.
      Or use him as a bargaining chip to get Hazard.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #35: Dec 30, 2011 10:42:07 am
      Don't know why you honestly listened to them.  Joe Cole is about as far away from a Rafa Benitez signing as you can get.  Doesn't work hard, poor game intelligence, not interested in becoming part of a collective unit - those people were clearly talking sh*t in the failed hope that Joe Cole would actually come good (oh how I ;D'ed at people who thought we'd fleeced Chelsea) and that Rafa could be congratulated for it.  Was never going to happen, even if Rafa did sign him the press would have decided that any good signing was clearly a masterstroke by Hodgson and any flops were clearly Rafa's legacy which he left behind - shame a whole bunch of morons and idiots swallowed that hook, line and sinker.

edit: Purslime signed him in his desperate effort to play football manager.

Jesus you do talk some garbage fella, you really do. Cole under Mourinho at Chelsea worked his nuts off every game, he remade himself into a lad who played on either flank and never stopped. This "luxury" player you are describing is miles off. Also, this insinuation that Rafa only liked grafters is a massive over-simplification of his whole philosophy. Luis Garcia was hardly Dennis Wise, but it didn't stop him being one of the best players we've had for the last decade and a brilliant signing.

"Morons"? Pull your head in, daft bugger.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Dec 30, 2011 01:26:05 pm
      If Joe does not know who signed him for L.F.C. I suggest he has a word with his agent,his agent is the one who would of negotiated the signing on fee and wages so he would know who he was discussing terms with.
      Tell's you a lot about Joe Cole though doesn't it, he didn't need convincing to come to Anfield - Harry at Spurs wanted him, so he must have wanted to come to Liverpool and it wasn't about the money....?

Did wonders for Cole and his agent's Pension Funds.

Remember:
      Its your money on the gate and in the shop that is still paying for that disaster. 
      £60,000 pounds a week worth from L.F.C. ..... so for one .....I would like to know who DID sign him.
      10 grand a working day 6 days a week in Lille. Can't be bad.

Eeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeeee  Life eh Joe? For running sideways.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #37: Dec 30, 2011 01:29:11 pm
      Thought he always worked his arse off for us, just never produced. Can't ever knock his effort, he just looked a bit lost.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,379 posts | 8631 
      Reply #38: Dec 30, 2011 01:47:59 pm
      Did wonders for Cole and his agent's Pension Funds.

Remember:
      Its your money on the gate and in the shop that is still paying for that disaster. 
      £60,000 pounds a week worth from L.F.C. ..... so for one .....I would like to know who DID sign him.
      10 grand a working day 6 days a week in Lille. Can't be bad.

Eeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeeee  Life eh Joe? For running sideways.

£90,000 weren't it?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Dec 30, 2011 01:58:29 pm

We're still paying £60,000 a week though, is what he's getting at.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,379 posts | 8631 
      Reply #40: Dec 30, 2011 02:30:57 pm
      We're still paying £60,000 a week though, is what he's getting at.

Ah I see, thought he was talking about his original wage, I tried forgetting a lot about the first half of last season, so I've tried to forget all about Joe Cole in a red shirt.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41: Dec 30, 2011 03:29:11 pm
      Yes H.

Lille are only picking up 30k a week.
      We are still paying 60k for a missing person.

A quarter of a million pounds every single month.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6973 
      Reply #42: Dec 30, 2011 04:52:45 pm
      Heard he used to run up his driveway a lot in his Chelsea days. I would too if I saw John Terry's car parked at my house.

Ha ha.  Had me in stitches that one.
      Jevon_YNWA
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #43: Dec 30, 2011 05:21:58 pm
      hehehehehe Classic.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #44: Dec 30, 2011 05:37:07 pm
      i just so happen to think that he could be our saving grace while Suarez is banned
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #45: Dec 31, 2011 01:53:07 pm
      To be honest I don't see the point in his comment - regardless of who signed him he had 6 months with Kenny to make an impression (don't doubt he was clear who was in charge at that point!) and couldn't make it.

I liked the boy as a player and thought he was unlucky not to get a bit more game-time at Chelsea once Maureen left but it just didn't work out here.

Quick Reply