Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Joe Allen (Swansea City)

Read 75008 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Joe Allen (Swansea City)
      Reply #23: May 31, 2012 09:14:53 am
      Yeah, one of my 1st thoughts was who might he look to bring with him from Swansea and Joe Allen and Scott Sinclair are the two that jump out as perhaps being up to the mark. I like the look of Allen reminds of Joe Cole (when he still had his legs) and Steed Malbranque. Put it this way, i'd swap the lad for Henderson in a second.
      As he got on well with the Swansea chairman I would not expect to see him raid Swansea for players in this transfer window.For all we know it might of been written into his release contract by Swansea that he will not poach any of their players.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #24: May 31, 2012 10:42:46 am
      I'm with Dado here.

Don't really want him here with Hendo and Shelvey still here. Big faith in these two. However if he replaces Adam then why not :)

i'd happily sell henderson and buy allen, he's proven this season he can pass a ball around without needing 3 touches to control and disappearing for the rest of the game. henderson has been a huge waste, allen would be a good signing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: May 31, 2012 01:45:29 pm
      The pressures on both lads is completely different and i don't see any point in signing Hendo for the money we did only to fork him out once he has a full season under his belt to help him settle in and become a better player.

Sure he may never fulfil the potential he has but you sure as hell won't find out by selling him so soon.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: May 31, 2012 01:48:06 pm
      I'd have Joe Allen in a heart beat
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: May 31, 2012 02:18:43 pm
      I like Joe Allen. Intelligent and neat and tidy footballer. Don't see any need for him here though. Remember for all there great play Swansea still finished in the bottom half last season. What Brendan can hopefully do now is implement his style of play on players who are not just neat, tidy and intelligent, but on those who are incredibly gifted too. Players who can beat a man for example, score goals themselves, assist goals in tight spaces etc... The tight budget of £5M, he was operating under at Swansea no longer apply here. He more or less has free reign to buy his ultimate players.

If BR has a big kitty to buy players, and can get them playing tika-taka then we could be on to a winning formula. Players like Joe Allen could help in the short term I guess, and we could go out and spend money on bringing back Xabi Alonso back in a few years time, or another player of his stature and ilk. The point is though we could get superstars to fit in with our philosophy, not just your neat players like Allen and Brittain.

I just don't see Joe Allen as a man who is going to hurt the opposition when the time comes to creating or scoring that goal, so at best he would be back up for the best holding mid in the country in Lucas Leiva.

If we are going to "raid" Swansea, an interesting player IMO is Ferre Bodde. He is the best player on Swanseas books currently, just had an absolute nightmare with injuries since 2008. He is a very capable player in the mould of Allen but one that can score and create goals too.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #28: May 31, 2012 02:35:26 pm
      An Allen, Lucas and Henderson midfield would be amazingly difficult for any team to deal with defensively. If they can keep the ball like Swansea then what more could you ask for from a not so world class midfield 3.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: May 31, 2012 05:34:43 pm
      I honestly hope the sacking of Kenny will sharpen the mind of young Henderson and make him realise he's massively underperformed for the faith that has been put in him. Too often he was far too complacent in interviews, suggesting he's played well he's happy with his form, sorry besides glimpses of what he can do he hides it far too often and for me has to shoulder a fair percentage of the blame. The reason I state that here is I think bringing in somebody like Joe Allen would only make sense if you were shifting out Shelvey and / or Henderson, for me Shelvey is the best of the 3, much more of a rough diamond but his raw ability shines through for me and is the one I would bet most on securing a long term first team place. Henderson I also see a lot of good in so wouldn't at the moment bring in somebody to replace him, partly due the the financial loss we'd have to suffer for it and more importantly there is a player there he just needs to learn to apply the tools he's got and stop bucking challenges even when he is clear favourite to win the ball.

So for me I'd leave Joe Allen and just try to take Sigurdsson who could definitely do a job for us.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #30: May 31, 2012 05:43:13 pm
      I honestly hope the sacking of Kenny will sharpen the mind of young Henderson and make him realise he's massively underperformed for the faith that has been put in him. Too often he was far too complacent in interviews, suggesting he's played well he's happy with his form, sorry besides glimpses of what he can do he hides it far too often and for me has to shoulder a fair percentage of the blame. The reason I state that here is I think bringing in somebody like Joe Allen would only make sense if you were shifting out Shelvey and / or Henderson, for me Shelvey is the best of the 3, much more of a rough diamond but his raw ability shines through for me and is the one I would bet most on securing a long term first team place. Henderson I also see a lot of good in so wouldn't at the moment bring in somebody to replace him, partly due the the financial loss we'd have to suffer for it and more importantly there is a player there he just needs to learn to apply the tools he's got and stop bucking challenges even when he is clear favourite to win the ball.

So for me I'd leave Joe Allen and just try to take Sigurdsson who could definitely do a job for us.

Agree with this. He seems like he's too worried to make a mistake, but the thing is, I'd rather see him pick a killer through ball that leads to a goal, 1/3 times, than him play the safe option every time.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #31: May 31, 2012 06:34:11 pm

Agree with this. He seems like he's too worried to make a mistake, but the thing is, I'd rather see him pick a killer through ball that leads to a goal, 1/3 times, than him play the safe option every time.

Henderson really is the new Lucas Leiva
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #32: May 31, 2012 06:50:57 pm
      Henderson really is the new Lucas Leiva

Minus the tackling ability and defensive positioning and awareness.  So really, he's nothing like the new Lucas.....
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: May 31, 2012 06:52:40 pm
      Allen is different than Hendo or Shelvey. Allen is a deep lying playmaker. Kind of similar to Adam except Allen is much better. His passing is fantastic and I think we need to bring this lad in ASAP.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #34: May 31, 2012 06:53:55 pm
      Minus the tackling ability and defensive positioning and awareness.  So really, he's nothing like the new Lucas.....
      In regards to criticism for passing the ball sideways
      Dalglish terdar 12
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #35: May 31, 2012 08:05:53 pm
      Allen is different than Hendo or Shelvey. Allen is a deep lying playmaker. Kind of similar to Adam except Allen is much better. His passing is fantastic and I think we need to bring this lad in ASAP.

Spot on mate, I see him as a player in the mould of Xabi! Hopefully, we can get him in. 15m should do it hopefully.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: May 31, 2012 08:10:47 pm
      I hope it doesnt.

We allready have invested in the next up and coming British talent.

Time for proven quality players I hope.

Very good point made. Wages may be an issue but I reckon we may sell Adam and buy Allen. But I agree we need to buy big name...somehow.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #37: May 31, 2012 09:08:02 pm
      Care to elaborate?
      On Allen, he looks good from that youtube video, very straightforward in his play, looks agile and fearless too.
      Worth a punt I guess, everything is better than Kuyt (nightmare of a season, horrible technique) or Maxi (good positioning, but that's about it - he doesn't really bring much to our game except the interplay with Suárez, he regularly fades away from games) on the wing
      I find it amusing that you have picked on Kuyt and Maxi when in reality they have been the most productive midfield player this season even if they have spent most of their time warming their asses on the bench. How about you talk about the other players who have even worst seasons than these two players. A little objectivity in criticism would be good, not criticism for the sake of it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #38: May 31, 2012 09:15:30 pm
      I like this lad but think Id rather give Suso a chance
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39: May 31, 2012 10:27:08 pm
      Spot on mate, I see him as a player in the mould of Xabi! Hopefully, we can get him in. 15m should do it hopefully.

Please for the love of god don't say you are saying we should sign him for 15m, christ!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: May 31, 2012 10:51:03 pm
      Like I said above I would decline this one, anyone talking about £15m and I'd run a mile. No idea how long is left on his contract but can't expect he's on massive wages. Would expect £5-7m being a more realistic price bracket.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #41: May 31, 2012 11:05:53 pm
      LFC Transfer Speculations
      Jamie Redknapp: 'I expect Rodgers to hijack the Sigurdsson deal and expect him to try to get Allen, too.'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #42: May 31, 2012 11:14:23 pm
      For less than 10 million quid, why not?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #43: Jun 01, 2012 12:35:03 am
      Swansea fear Allen will follow Rodgers to Anfield... but Liverpool will have to pay at least £10m

Liverpool expect to unveil Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers as their manager and he is believed to be considering a bid for the Welsh club’s young midfielder Joe Allen.

Rodgers has agreed a three-year deal to succeed Kenny Dalglish, although negotiations looked set to be held up by a wrangle over compensation. However, the Carling Cup winners have agreed to pay the £5million that was in Rodgers’ contract.

He has been told he can spend this summer and Sportsmail can reveal that, as well as attempting to hijack Swansea’s £6.8m move for Hoffenheim’s Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, Rodgers wants his old club’s highly-rated Wales playmaker Allen, whom he sees as the type of player he needs to transfer his pass-and-move style of football to Anfield. That will cast doubts on the futures of Liverpool midfielders such as Charlie Adam.

Allen, 22 and a product of the Swansea youth system, is known as a creative midfielder player and played 44 times last season. With three years left on his contract, Rodgers may have to pay in excess of £10m to sign him.

Swansea are sure to fight hard to hang on to Allen, especially as Rodgers is already taking three members of his backroom staff to Anfield.
      The 39-year-old has been given the go-ahead by Liverpool owners FSG to bring assistant manager Colin Pascoe, head of performance analysis Chris Davies and performance consultant Glen Driscoll to Anfield.

Swansea confirmed that compensation had been agreed for all three and their appointments will be finalised. Dalglish’s assistant Steve Clarke has had one resignation offer rejected at Anfield but it is understood that he will now leave.

Rodgers has been told there are no huge expectations for his debut season, while he has indicated to the owners that Liverpool are a club in need of major change and that will take time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2152946/Swansea-fear-Joe-Allen-follow-Brendan-Rodgers-Anfield--Liverpool-pay-10m.html
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #44: Jun 01, 2012 05:18:33 am
      Would rather have Sigurdsson for that amount.

Maybe send Downing the other way.
      Dalglish terdar 12
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #45: Jun 01, 2012 01:52:30 pm
      Please for the love of god don't say you are saying we should sign him for 15m, christ!

Why not? He is a proven Premier League player after last season. Having watched him a lot last season, I believe he can be absolutely world class! He was the catalyst in Swansea's magnificent passing displays last season! Brenny Brenny SIGN HIM UP! 15m would be nothing in a few years, when Real and the likes will be coming knocking with 30m + offers for the lad. Watch this space!

Quick Reply