Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Darren Bent (Aston Villa)

Read 43499 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Darren Bent - Aston Villa.
      Reply #46: Dec 29, 2011 06:08:23 pm
       He wouldn't "flop" either. When you've scored as many goals as he has for at best average sides, it stands to reason that you'll score if playing for a decent side. I know it's a shame he's not called Bentino or something, but he's a good player of that there's no doubt in my mind.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #47: Dec 29, 2011 06:08:41 pm
      Fair play you prob thought Carroll was a good signing for thirty five million as well.  Love to be what your on. But back in the real world if your spending that much you have to be looking for better

I was kidding in the earlier post - well not exactly kidding, but taking the piss if you catch my drift.

I do like Bent, I think he's a very good goalscorer who is clinical and prolific. His around game is okay, not brilliant but he contributes with goals - which is what we're lacking.

He's a proven 20 goal a season player, and a player who'd realistic come here - has pace, can finish and can lead the line.

He's scored over 20 goals a season for Sunderland, Charlton and Ipswich.

I'd loved to see with what he can do here with such a brilliant player in Suarez creating chances for him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #48: Dec 29, 2011 06:10:14 pm
      Get Morgan on the bench now. Don't buy anyone.

Fucks sake, Darren Bent. He'll cost half a stand, he's another Downing. A baffling waste of money. It's like your bird going to Cheshire Oaks and buying any old sh*te just so they have bought something.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #49: Dec 29, 2011 06:11:14 pm
      I think he would flop like he did at spurs thought he would flop when they signed him doesn't have enough to his game. No way he is going for less than twenty million unless mcleish and lerner have the fans completely turn against them
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #50: Dec 29, 2011 06:14:04 pm
      I think he would flop like he did at spurs thought he would flop when they signed him doesn't have enough to his game. No way he is going for less than twenty million unless mcleish and lerner have the fans completely turn against them

His record at Spurs was actually pretty good in games that he started as I recall. At Charlton it was excellent, at Sunderland and Villa ditto. His record for England is picking up too. I remember seeing Carragher and Gerrard on soccer AM and they both rated him very highly. I don't agree about the price either, I think we might get him cheaper than 20. But we'll see obviously, there's no point in anyone getting their boxers in a spin at this stage.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Dec 29, 2011 06:14:45 pm
      He has zero link up play he is a decent finisher and that is it. He ain't particularly quick and is as lazy as f**k.  Didn't see the smile till after i posted
      I was kidding in the earlier post - well not exactly kidding, but taking the piss if you catch my drift.

I do like Bent, I think he's a very good goalscorer who is clinical and prolific. His around game is okay, not brilliant but he contributes with goals - which is what we're lacking.

He's a proven 20 goal a season player, and a player who'd realistic come here - has pace, can finish and can lead the line.

He's scored over 20 goals a season for Sunderland, Charlton and Ipswich.

I'd loved to see with what he can do here with such a brilliant player in Suarez creating chances for him.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #52: Dec 29, 2011 06:17:58 pm
      To be fair for once i agree with Corbally on this i think he is a quality player and scores goals for fun ! But when he's not scoring he does F**k all else which is forgivable but for 30 million i don't think so !

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #53: Dec 29, 2011 06:21:06 pm
      I'd rather Defoe.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Dec 29, 2011 06:21:13 pm
      He wouldn't cost more than 24. I'd say closer to 12-15. You think Villa's owners are scared of fan backlash? Look who they hired as their manager.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #55: Dec 29, 2011 06:24:19 pm
      His record at Spurs was actually pretty good in games that he started as I recall. At Charlton it was excellent, at Sunderland and Villa ditto. His record for England is picking up too. I remember seeing Carragher and Gerrard on soccer AM and they both rated him very highly. I don't agree about the price either, I think we might get him cheaper than 20. But we'll see obviously, there's no point in anyone getting their boxers in a spin at this stage.
      Gerrard thought Joe Cole was likely. There no way he isn't going cheaper why exactly would they sell at a loss infuriating there fans not to take into account bent is on similar wages to Gerrard
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #56: Dec 29, 2011 06:25:17 pm
      Get Morgan on the bench now. Don't buy anyone.

Fucks sake, Darren Bent. He'll cost half a stand, he's another Downing. A baffling waste of money. It's like your bird going to Cheshire Oaks and buying any old sh*te just so they have bought something.

Last sentence is bang on, the wife came home from the shops the other day with a mechanical apple peeler, yet nobody in the house eats them!

As for Bent, I hate comparing us to other teams, but if Spurs let him go, maybe he isn't quality enough for a team aiming for the highest places in the table.

And the asking price will surely be very high, is there really no other striker out there who would offer more for a similar amount?

As for the work rate issue, it isn't a problem for me. We have players like Suarez, Kuyt, Bellamy and so on, who will run all day for the team. We just need a finisher.

But is Bent that man? Not convinced.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #57: Dec 29, 2011 06:26:14 pm
      He wouldn't cost more than 24. I'd say closer to 12-15. You think Villa's owners are scared of fan backlash? Look who they hired as their manager.

Tis true. Word has it that Randy Lerners mother is actually the one with the cash, and she's told him that she ain't dipping into her pocket anymore. That being the case, McGleish probably has to sell to buy and also has to free up some wage capacity. I could see Villa cashing in at around 10 plus Carroll (which I think they'll ask for but not get) or alternatively taking 16 mill or so and replacing him with Bobby Zamora for 5. That would then free up some cash for other purchases. Like I said, there's rumbles that Bent wants away in any case, which may force their hand.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #58: Dec 29, 2011 06:27:39 pm
      honestly you can really believe that villa would sell him for that in January bearing in mind they squeezed twenty out of us for downing and the little fact he cost them twenty four million and since then has become something of a regular in the England team
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #59: Dec 29, 2011 06:29:02 pm
      Gerrard thought Joe Cole was likely. There no way he isn't going cheaper why exactly would they sell at a loss infuriating there fans not to take into account bent is on similar wages to Gerrard

In fairness a Joe Cole anywhere near fit and at his best was a top player, so Gerrard (if he did think that) wouldn't have been far wrong. A little bit like when we signed Morientes, he was obviously a top player in his day but we got him when his legs had gone.

As for the price thing, I've covered that in a later post.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #60: Dec 29, 2011 06:31:08 pm
      I think we have a little too much "home grown" talent bias... I mean the England national team isn't really shining tbh. If we sign another player for an inflated price because their English I won't be too happy. Lots of lads like Higuain we could get for 30million. Ffs we could get 95% of strikers in the game for that price.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #61: Dec 29, 2011 06:33:13 pm
      Don't know about this really.

Scores goals pretty much everywhere he's been, but he seems a bit lazy to me. Not sure if he'd compliment Suarez very well either.

Anyway, I have faith in Kenny and Comolli to address the finishing issue so if Bent is their solution then fair enough.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #62: Dec 29, 2011 06:33:24 pm
      Im willing to bet your wrong on price when has a current England player lost ten million in value in a season. Bear in mind bent hasn't underperformed like Carroll. Anyone suggesting he would go for less than twenty is not living in the real world.  I personally think villa would be looking for close to thirty off us for
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #63: Dec 29, 2011 06:35:09 pm
      Im willing to bet your wrong on price when has a current England player lost ten million in value in a season. Bear in mind bent hasn't underperformed like Carroll. Anyone suggesting he would go for less than twenty is not living in the real world.  I personally think villa would be looking for close to thirty off us for

Would make sense on their part really... No point selling someone who has been playing well for less than what they bought him for. This is why it wouldn't be "logical" to sign him for a stupid price.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #64: Dec 29, 2011 06:35:18 pm
      Tony Barrett is on twitter claiming we haven't made an enquiry into Bent.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #65: Dec 29, 2011 06:35:21 pm
       I think that the "English bias" thing is fair enough, and I personally wouldn't mind at all if we signed Higuain (not that I've seen him play much but I'm assuming he's quite good). That said, I wouldn't NOT sign Bent simply because he is English or simply because he's played for unfashionable clubs. If we did sign him (it's a big IF), then regardless of how well anyone else would do in the same situation, regardless of whether or not he represents "value for money" relative to anyone else we could get, I am convinced he would score heavily.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #66: Dec 29, 2011 06:36:58 pm

Do you really think we could get 25 million for Carroll?

Supply and demand determines price, more than anything. If they feel a need to get rid of Bent, they will take a loss.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #67: Dec 29, 2011 06:37:52 pm

Darren Bent ?

Yes, another heavily over-rated and over-priced English player is exactly what we need.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #68: Dec 29, 2011 06:39:40 pm
       Like I say, if only his name was Daria Bentino then everyone would be all over him ;D.

Quick Reply