Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Pre-Match: Man City v LFC (Carling Cup semi-final 1st leg)

Read 16689 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v LFC (Carling Cup semi-final 1st leg)
      Reply #23: Jan 08, 2012 05:12:13 pm
      Quietly confident about this game. Think we will get a result and put ourselves in prime position to go through to the final. Very surprised that so few have picked Adam for this one...... personally I think he will be one of the first names on the team sheet for this one.

Reina

Johnson          Skrtel      Agger         Enrique

Spearing

Downing/Henderson  Gerrard  Adam  Bellamy       

Carroll

Think we will get the win but I wouldn't be too devastated with a draw.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Jan 08, 2012 08:58:31 pm
      Bellamy and Maxi have got to start this I reckon.

Pace behind the lines will cause them some problems.

Pepe

Johnno  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique

Spearing
                         Hendo        Gerrard
            Bellamy                                    Maxi
                                     Kuyt

Play Kuyt instead of Carroll for the movement and interchanging that Carroll is not offerring at the moment. Need that front three to keep moving and pressing with intelligence.

Their defence looked far too comfortable for me last week.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #25: Jan 08, 2012 09:06:28 pm
      With Kompany (and Toure?) missing this one, AC has a real chance to get on the scoresheet.

I predict it will be a tightly contested draw with Kenny setting out the tactics with the second leg at Anfield in mind.

*back 5 picks itself*
                            Spearo
                    Gerrard  Shelvey
      Bellamy                                 Maxi

Carroll.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2012 10:33:42 pm
                                                     Reina

Johnson   Skrtel     Agger    Enrique

Spearing
                                            Gerrard   Henderson

Maxi         Carroll       Bellamy
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2012 10:40:36 pm
      It's going to be
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #28: Jan 09, 2012 09:08:26 am
      I'd like to keep this one tight

Reina

Skrtel                       Carragher              Agger

Johnson                                                                                         Enrique

Spearing                   Adam

Gerrard

Bellamy                         Carroll
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jan 09, 2012 04:03:19 pm
      Did you know that this is our first match on the BBC for 5 years? Wind back to the 3rd round of the FA Cup against Arsenal at Anfield (which we lost 3-1) in January 2007 to the last time we played live on the BBC. Just think of the things that have happened since.

Being bought and screwed over by two clueless and damaging yanks until the court and a Mr John Henry saved us. Fernando Torres has come and gone. Rafa Benitez leaves the club, the board favouring the legendary Roy Hodgson! The return of Kenny Dalglish. A lot has changed, come and gone but we are still one. Oh and Stevie's still our captain fantastic, Carra is still our red knight and Dirk Kuyt and Pepe Reina are still ever present caring Red men.

Oh and the fact that the Beebs sports broadcasting has totally gone down the shi**er in the last 5 years!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2012 04:04:10 pm
      Let's get this one back up top!  Though I am also very very excited for our game against the mancs, this should be our focus at the moment!

City withouth Yaya, Kolo, Balotelli (injured?), Dzeko (Injured?) and Kompany (Suspended?). A draw would be sufficient, we'll destroy them at home!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2012 04:14:19 pm
      Let's get this one back up top!  Though I am also very very excited for our game against the mancs, this should be our focus at the moment!

City withouth Yaya, Kolo, Balotelli (injured?), Dzeko (Injured?) and Kompany (Suspended?). A draw would be sufficient, we'll destroy them at home!

We need to be taking it to them in this game.  They have had less time to rest after what was a very taxing match against the scum on Sunday.  As mentioned, they are missing some key players, but others like Aguero, Milner, Nasri, and Richards will likely still be a bit fatigued going into this game.  We should have a fully fit squad going into this one, so we should look to take the game to them with high intensity and tempo right from the kickoff!!  Beat them 3-0 in this game and the tie will be over before we even step onto the Anfield turf!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2012 04:23:07 pm
      We won't want to be conceding more goals there again, so I think we'll sit tight to be honest.

Got a feeling it will be a nil-niler.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2012 04:25:05 pm
      We won't want to be conceding more goals there again, so I think we'll sit tight to be honest.

I'd be pretty happy with a nil-nil.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #34: Jan 09, 2012 04:52:30 pm

They should have Kompany, Baloteli, and Dzeko all available for the return leg.  Also, they currently have tired legs after playing with 10 men for the better part of 80 mins on Sunday.  Our best opportunity to beat them will be in the 1st leg, regardless of the fact that they are the home team.  Get the win in the 1st leg and then protect the lead in the 2nd game. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #35: Jan 09, 2012 05:43:29 pm
      They should have Kompany, Baloteli, and Dzeko all available for the return leg.  Also, they currently have tired legs after playing with 10 men for the better part of 80 mins on Sunday.  Our best opportunity to beat them will be in the 1st leg, regardless of the fact that they are the home team.  Get the win in the 1st leg and then protect the lead in the 2nd game. 
      No kompany is suspended for both matches if the red card appeal is lost because he already had a straight red so automatically it will be 4 game ban.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2012 06:09:19 pm
       I've a little hunch that we may see Man City put out lets say not their strongest team available for this, and as such I'd make us big favourites to go through. They desperately (and quite rightly) want to win the league, and I can't see them risking their best & only fit striker (Aguerro), or their best player (Silva) in some war of attrition in the Carling Cup in midweek. Not only that, but Mancini got a wee taste of just what it's like to be up against the full force of Man Utd/the officials/the press/the media on Sunday, and I don't think he'll be shedding any tears if we put the c***s out of the Fa Cup on their behalf either. Given that, a weak side in the first leg and a decisive win for us would mean neither them nor us have to kill ourselves in the second leg at Anfield, the tie being as good as over.

That way, not only would Citeh have less complications as they focus on the league, but we'd be in a better frame of mind the smash the real Mancs on the weekend. Not only that, (yet another reason why I think I might be onto something) but if they put their strongest teams out and we put them out, it could conceiveably derail them a bit. As it is, put out a bunch of kids and get done 3-1 at home in the first leg which would pretty much settle it, and the "real" first team comes out of it unscathed.

Just a little theory, but if you like a bet back us over two legs against City.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2012 08:28:51 pm
      Kompany's case to be heard tomorrow isnt it? Hope he loses. If Jay Spearing and that wolves bloke lost their appeals then Kompany should lose it too
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2012 09:15:30 pm
      Kompany's case to be heard tomorrow isnt it? Hope he loses. If Jay Spearing and that wolves bloke lost their appeals then Kompany should lose it too

Interesting one.
      If he is banned then the FA are dicks, not even a foul, and Shrek & Alcoson* have got their way,
      If he is not then it will mean that S&A* know F**k all and have influence the ref.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2012 09:19:17 pm

Only differance is Kompany plays for Man City so he will get away with it
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2012 09:58:05 pm
      Aldridge just said on tv the hearing for Kompany is in the morning ,and he expects the ban to be upheld for 4 games.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #41: Jan 09, 2012 10:09:56 pm
      If companys red card is rescinded, it would be a travesty of justice for Wolves and Spearing.  If it's upheld, you would say they are playing into whiskey nose' hands. Even though we know they are a bunch of tw*ts at the F.A. they have dug themselves a hole with this one whichever way they go. I think they will have to uphold it and City will field a weakened team which we will beat comprehensivly while they concentrate on the Prem. Think Bigmick's hunch could be right. Saves face for the big boys and phycologically they will not have been defeated.  Over two legs, I think it might be 3 - 1  first leg and 2 - 0 second. Spanking the scum inbetween.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Jan 09, 2012 10:20:51 pm
      Theres a sadistic part of me who would like to see a 2 nil defeat so we can get a rocking Anfield for the 2nd leg and win 3 nil to get to the final!!!

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #43: Jan 09, 2012 11:02:02 pm
      I've a little hunch that we may see Man City put out lets say not their strongest team available for this, and as such I'd make us big favourites to go through. They desperately (and quite rightly) want to win the league, and I can't see them risking their best & only fit striker (Aguerro), or their best player (Silva) in some war of attrition in the Carling Cup in midweek. Not only that, but Mancini got a wee taste of just what it's like to be up against the full force of Man Utd/the officials/the press/the media on Sunday, and I don't think he'll be shedding any tears if we put the c***s out of the Fa Cup on their behalf either. Given that, a weak side in the first leg and a decisive win for us would mean neither them nor us have to kill ourselves in the second leg at Anfield, the tie being as good as over.

That way, not only would Citeh have less complications as they focus on the league, but we'd be in a better frame of mind the smash the real Mancs on the weekend. Not only that, (yet another reason why I think I might be onto something) but if they put their strongest teams out and we put them out, it could conceiveably derail them a bit. As it is, put out a bunch of kids and get done 3-1 at home in the first leg which would pretty much settle it, and the "real" first team comes out of it unscathed.

Just a little theory, but if you like a bet back us over two legs against City.

City want to be seen as one of the best sides in world football, I can't see them being ok with losing two on the trot. Plus the media would have a field day saying they can't handle the pressure. Mancini knows full well the repercussions of losing two on the trot and (possibly) being knocked out of two cup competitions in such a short amount of time. I expect their strongest side on Wednesday.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #44: Jan 09, 2012 11:02:33 pm

If away goals count in this competition, I always prefer a score draw away from home in the first leg. rafa was such a master of these two legged games.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #45: Jan 09, 2012 11:12:11 pm
      ya ya is the heart of Shitty and there heart is in Africa bring it on

Quick Reply