Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Jermaine Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)

Read 16309 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Jermaine Defoe
      Reply #46: Jan 16, 2012 07:07:01 pm

Not at the begining of the season.

We haven't been able to get a partnership going with any two so far..
      If and big if Kenny is interested in Defoe then I'd imagine he has a plan of using him in a 2.
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #47: Jan 16, 2012 07:18:52 pm
      for 10mil or less he would be worth a punt as he would be able to go straight into the team and he definitely knows how to score, but any more than that and we can do better
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #48: Jan 16, 2012 07:51:38 pm
      Because Redknapp plays one up top with Van Der Vaart behind in the hole

On my phone so can't post it, but we need that McCarthy gif :) one in the hole you say
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #49: Jan 16, 2012 08:06:57 pm
      If he sticks the ball in the back of the net, then, HELL YES.

If not, then HELL NO!

Simple as that.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #50: Jan 16, 2012 08:12:12 pm
      Wouldn't be too sad to sign him he'd get us a few goals no question
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #51: Jan 16, 2012 08:13:10 pm
      This story all over the back pages in Ireland today. Exactly what we have been missing, someone to put the feckin ball in the net, especially at home where we cant buy a goal. Well worth 10 million if it gets us fourth place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #52: Jan 16, 2012 08:25:33 pm
      For the right price snap him up straight away!! He's a proven goal scorer and has more chance of hitting the net than Kuyt and Carroll combined! Didn't he score 5 in a game a season or 2 ago?
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #53: Jan 16, 2012 08:36:23 pm
      Would rather spend a bit more and get someone younger and better tbh. I think it wouldn't be too bad a price if we got him for 10 million (or less) but, I feel as though this would only be a temporary fix. But, who knows, Kenny may only be after a short term solution as he could have someone in his sights in the summer.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #54: Jan 16, 2012 08:56:22 pm
      I'm pretty positive when it comes to most player we're linked with; but i really don't like or want Defoe.

I read a lot of comments saying "he's a good finisher", but he really isn't. Watch a large amount of his goals, all he does is hit the ball with no direction, but as powerful as he can. He has no composure. All he does it hit the ball full belt with very little aim and hopes for the best. He has no direction with his shots.

He is incredibly selfish - i watch a lot of Spurs this season and Defoe would much rather shoot from 25 yards, then a play a simple ball which will create a much more likely goal scoring opportunity.

He is approaching 30 years old, and will require a fairly large fee for a 30 year old, who quite simply, isn't worth it. He would want a long expensive contract with no resale value afterwards.

If he did arrive here - i don't think he'd flop, i think he'd score some goals (well, any decent striker should score goals in our team). I just feel he isn't worth the initial fee, plus the long contract with the fact he's nearly 30 and declining.

I personally believe we can go after much better, and much younger then Defoe. I don't believe for a second we're after Defoe.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #55: Jan 16, 2012 09:08:16 pm
      Buy British.....Seems to be Kennys moto
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #56: Jan 16, 2012 09:20:18 pm
      Would rather spend a bit more and get someone younger and better tbh. I think it wouldn't be too bad a price if we got him for 10 million (or less) but, I feel as though this would only be a temporary fix. But, who knows, Kenny may only be after a short term solution as he could have someone in his sights in the summer.

me too. we've heard enough about no temporary fixes to know this wont happen. especially considering there are a bunch of young attackers we can probably get for the same price.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Jan 16, 2012 09:27:29 pm
      This is exactly the type of striker we need but somebody younger. Defoe would be a good short-term alternative but for the long-term we need to be signing somebody much better whether we can lure that certain individual with European football or not.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 2836 
      Reply #58: Jan 16, 2012 09:35:27 pm
      Wouldn't mind a loan deal until the summer to be honest.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2852 
      Reply #59: Jan 16, 2012 09:56:56 pm
      On a scale of 1 to 10 whatsthe chances of this happening? Are spurs going to sell when they are in the title hunt?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #60: Jan 16, 2012 10:00:06 pm
      On a scale of 1 to 10 whatsthe chances of this happening? Are spurs going to sell when they are in the title hunt?

1 unless Redknapp brings in a replacement or two
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2852 
      Reply #61: Jan 16, 2012 10:05:31 pm
      1 unless Redknapp brings in a replacement or two

That would be my thinking to
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,365 posts | 1538 
      Reply #62: Jan 16, 2012 10:29:22 pm
      Let Spurs keep Defoe and go for Remy.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #63: Jan 16, 2012 10:37:03 pm
      [quote author=lfc_ynwa link=topic=41993.msg1190581#msg1190581 date=
      I read a lot of comments saying "he's a good finisher", but he really isn't. Watch a large amount of his goals, all he does is hit the ball with no direction, but as powerful as he can. He has no composure. All he does it hit the ball full belt with very little aim and hopes for the best. He has no direction with his shots.

[/quote]

It's about time our strikers started shooting a bit more. I think Defoe would be a great signing. He's got pace and will score goals. He's not gonna get you 25 league goals but he will get you 15. Suarez, Bellamy and Defoe would be a good strike force.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #64: Jan 17, 2012 01:33:57 am
      Too old and just not good or consistant enough. There must be better out there, both in value and ability. Good option off the bench, but we need a striker who plays (and scores) most weeks. 
      The_Paddock
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #65: Jan 17, 2012 10:28:04 am
      His pace alone creates space though.

Playing Carroll and Kuyt for example, means a defence can play a higher line because neither of them have pace. Just having Defoe on the pitch causes a different type of problem because if he beats the trap then youre not catching him. A defence would have to play 5-10 yards deeper.

Personally always felt he was clinical. If you give Defoe the ball infront of goal and say go on then have a shot, Im confident he would work the keeper.

Being 29 may mean hes a short term option, but for 10m id take him. Bellamy is our main threat and hes what, 32 or something? Could imagine Defoe linking up very nicely with Suarez, Bellamy, Stevie etc

stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #66: Jan 17, 2012 03:21:38 pm
      Alan Kayll
      Why would we give spurs £10m for defoe? Inquiry on loan deal was made. We are still looking.

Seen this on twitter,dont know the guy but hope he is right.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #67: Jan 17, 2012 03:51:57 pm
      Defoe or not (I wouldn't mind him as it goes) it still shows were still looking to fix the problem..
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #68: Jan 17, 2012 03:53:48 pm
      Defoe's price just jumped to £20 million. Tottenham need the extra cash to buy Fernando Llorent (£24 million) or Loic Remy.

At that price, Defoe will leave on a free transfer when his bench-warming contract expires.

Quick Reply