Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

The Run In

Read 13740 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,223 posts | 1222 
      Re: The Run In
      Reply #391: Apr 28, 2024 11:11:41 pm
      I think we were punching above our weight for most of the season, in the league anyway. It would have been a truly exceptional effort to win it with the squad we have. The idea that we were going to win 8 on the bounce or whatever,  when we hadn't done that all season,  was always unlikely.

We got away with too many results and didn't turn up in the key games. Nevertheless, having found ourselves in such a strong position, it was incumbent on the players to fight until the end and not go out with a whimper, not just in the league but FA Cup and EL, where we had even better chances to win. Truly shameful the way it all fell apart.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #392: Apr 28, 2024 11:12:35 pm
      We don't take enough of our chances infront of goal, its as simple as that for me thats what cost us the title.

20-25 shots a game.

5 or more on target, yet we struggle to get more then 1 in.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,041 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #393: Apr 28, 2024 11:44:30 pm
      Loads of the deadwood at United will be gone, along with Ten Haag. New ownership, new players...I'm not saying they'll defo make top 4 but they'll be a lot better than this season....There's a reason the top six are called the top six. My general point was 3 or 4 of the big clubs have been turgid this season and with 7 ( relatively easy fixtures) games left we should have at least gone the distance.

Plenty of dead wood and it’s going to take some shifting with contracts. Remember we’re on the borderline of FFP my hopes aren’t high for a great summer windows of transfers. I’d snatched your hand off right now for top 4.

Ten is on borrowed time now, if/when we lose FA Cup he’ll probably be on his way.

Agreed your remains fixtures were winnable and I’ve already stated why your poor finish in other threads.

jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 879 posts | 102 
      Reply #394: Apr 29, 2024 10:21:44 am
      Can we expect the traditional apology from big Virg for the F**k-up at the end of the season???
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #395: Apr 29, 2024 10:41:52 am
      Can we expect the traditional apology from big Virg for the F**k-up at the end of the season???

Can’t see any need for any apologies
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,175 posts | 524 
      Reply #396: Apr 29, 2024 10:53:17 am

Why?
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 171 
      Reply #397: Apr 29, 2024 10:56:58 am

Dunno what's more embarrassing, our F**k ups or calling for an apology.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,521 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #398: Apr 29, 2024 11:14:35 am
      Dunno what's more embarrassing, our F**k ups or calling for an apology.
      I read what jimbo1962 typed to mean, we don't want apologies, we want performance, 100% effort, and no excuses.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #399: Apr 29, 2024 11:22:40 am
      Believe the players have let Jürgen, themselves and the fans down in the last few games.

Their performances have been poor to  say the least, being dumped out of the Europa league, with a 3  0 home defeat, losing to Crystal Palace and our neighbours in the Premiership.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 879 posts | 102 
      Reply #400: Apr 29, 2024 01:11:17 pm
      I'm not calling for an apology but one point out of nine at this critical stage?
      I'm just wondering if the players feel that they owe the fans any kind of apology.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #401: Apr 29, 2024 01:13:19 pm
      I'm not calling for an apology but one point out of nine at this critical stage?
      I'm just wondering if the players feel that they owe the fans any kind of apology.

Don’t think it works like that in sport - sometimes players just lose form

I don’t think any fan wokld expect an apology for playing badly
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 171 
      Reply #402: Apr 29, 2024 01:36:06 pm

Would it make you feel better if they did?

"Sorry for our F**k up, we'll aim to do better in the next game", could they not just show they're upset and beat up over recent results by delivering on the pitch and getting the result we all want to see? Bar the Atalanta games, Palace 1st half and Everton 2nd half there hasn't been a lack of effort.

Thoughts often transfer to feelings.....so no they probably don't feel that owe anything, because it'd be silly to even think of the idea.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #403: Apr 29, 2024 03:25:50 pm
      I think we were punching above our weight for most of the season, in the league anyway. It would have been a truly exceptional effort to win it with the squad we have. The idea that we were going to win 8 on the bounce or whatever,  when we hadn't done that all season,  was always unlikely.

We got away with too many results and didn't turn up in the key games. Nevertheless, having found ourselves in such a strong position, it was incumbent on the players to fight until the end and not go out with a whimper, not just in the league but FA Cup and EL, where we had even better chances to win. Truly shameful the way it all fell apart.

Think this "didn't turn up in the key games" is a big exaggeration. It's true of our end of season games v Atalanta, Palace and Everton. But it's not true of our big games over the season as a whole.

We were very good v City at home - the ref gives the pen for the kung fu kick in Mac's chest and we win that. We were decent v them away and earned a draw. We got robbed at Spurs by VAR. We had Mac sent off at Chelsea and still played well. We were miles better than the Munts in both league games. Yes our finishing was poor and so you can say we've only ourselves to blame but poor finishing is not the same as not turning up. Away to Arsenal I grant you - they were way better. But at home we were better than them and again would've won if the ref n VAR hadn't decided it was ok to play basketball in your own pen area if you're playing us.

So, yeah, it fell apart at the end and in 3 of those last games you are right. But it's not true before that. And I'd also dispute that we got lucky or got away with things earlier in the season, not with all those decisions going against us.

We played better for most of this season than we are giving ourselves credit for. Yeah we need to improve but there was a lot of good stuff played.

This is a young team with newish forwards and a completely new midfield. Takes time to build a winning unit usually. Took time with Klopp's 1.0 team. We were ahead of schedule n then maybe got a nosebleed at the end, especially after Atalanta put doubt in our minds. Not unusual. Arsenal did the same last season and are now coping better this year cos they've got used to being in the running, and become tighter as a unit.

We've all maybe lost a bit of perspective over the last few weeks, me included, cos of the disappointment of being close and not being able to see it out. Hopefully we will look back on this as a rebuilding season, which is what it really was.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #404: Apr 29, 2024 10:39:21 pm
      Think this "didn't turn up in the key games" is a big exaggeration. It's true of our end of season games v Atalanta, Palace and Everton. But it's not true of our big games over the season as a whole.

We were very good v City at home - the ref gives the pen for the kung fu kick in Mac's chest and we win that. We were decent v them away and earned a draw. We got robbed at Spurs by VAR. We had Mac sent off at Chelsea and still played well. We were miles better than the Munts in both league games. Yes our finishing was poor and so you can say we've only ourselves to blame but poor finishing is not the same as not turning up. Away to Arsenal I grant you - they were way better. But at home we were better than them and again would've won if the ref n VAR hadn't decided it was ok to play basketball in your own pen area if you're playing us.

So, yeah, it fell apart at the end and in 3 of those last games you are right. But it's not true before that. And I'd also dispute that we got lucky or got away with things earlier in the season, not with all those decisions going against us.

We played better for most of this season than we are giving ourselves credit for. Yeah we need to improve but there was a lot of good stuff played.

This is a young team with newish forwards and a completely new midfield. Takes time to build a winning unit usually. Took time with Klopp's 1.0 team. We were ahead of schedule n then maybe got a nosebleed at the end, especially after Atalanta put doubt in our minds. Not unusual. Arsenal did the same last season and are now coping better this year cos they've got used to being in the running, and become tighter as a unit.

We've all maybe lost a bit of perspective over the last few weeks, me included, cos of the disappointment of being close and not being able to see it out. Hopefully we will look back on this as a rebuilding season, which is what it really was.

Good post mate. Bit of perspective is always good to read.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #405: Apr 29, 2024 10:41:19 pm

Indeed
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #406: Apr 29, 2024 11:20:42 pm

Excellent analysis: The shock of how quickly we went from "going for the quad" ( not that most of us thought we'd win all four) to nothing to play for, has hit all of us...no one saw that coming, not against that opposition. So many have articulated their frustrations, and frankly, sadness by hitting out at the players....and I'm as guilty as anyone on here. As we cool down and take stock a clearer picture emerges....and you have summed that up perfectly in your post.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,223 posts | 1222 
      Reply #407: Apr 29, 2024 11:29:11 pm

Bad luck can explain some of it but over the course of a season no team is going to win the league if they are at or near the bottom of the head-to-head standings between the top six sides because those games are indicative of whether that side has the ruthlessness needed to get it over the line. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #408: Apr 30, 2024 08:49:12 am

Nothing more cringey than a bunch of professional footballers posting some generic 'sorry we could not do better, we'll try to step it up next time' bollocks on social media.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,175 posts | 524 
      Reply #409: Apr 30, 2024 10:50:40 am

Understand what you are trying to say but, surely it is the same players that gave it everything for 90% of the season are not going to turn round and say fcuk it can't be arsed now on the run in?
      sh*t happens fella and we were just not quite good enough to finish our season off in the way we thought it was going to be.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #410: Apr 30, 2024 11:01:53 am

Id be stunned if its even crossed their minds. Either way wouldnt want one. Would likely be an apology for the wrong reason, as in told to do it rather then wanting to do it

And its all a bit I dont know 2024ish whete everybody feels they have to apologise for everything, load of cock

They play football they fooked up a few matches, sh*te happens and ye get on with it

I wish i could go back to the 80s and 90s

Quick Reply