Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

3 Keys to Our Success for the Rest of This Season - Discussion

Read 4649 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      3 Keys to Our Success for the Rest of This Season - Discussion
      Jan 26, 2012 03:41:10 pm
      With all of the focus as of late seemingly on the transfer window, I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about the resources we currently have at our disposal, and what different people believe are key components to a successful end of the season run.  While there are undoubtedly many that you can come up with, please try to keep it to a list of your top 3.  Here are mine:

1.  The formation of a Gerrard/Suarez partnership  --  We have yet to really get to see our captain fantastic line up behind our new Uruguayan sensation.  I have a feeling that these two will strike up a lethal partnership, and if we can keep both of them fit then I think we will see the goals start to flow in the coming months.  In the early part of the season Suarez had to work hard to create chances, but with Gerrard's ability to pick out a killer pass, I believe we will see Suarez's goal scoring ratio improve drastically. 

2.  The fitness of Agger  --  Martin and Danny have formed quite a formidable CB partnership this season, but unfortunately Agger is seemingly injury prone.  I do not have the same faith in Carra as I once did, and I don't think Coates is quite ready to step into a full time starting role, so the health of Dagger for the next few months is crucial IMO. 

3.  The form of Reina  --  We all know how good Pepe can be, but unfortunately he has had an unusual number of off days this season.  He has made plenty of mistakes and poor decisions this season, and I think that his confidence is damaged as a result.  However, if we can get Pepe back to top confidence and form then I am certain that we will maintain the best defensive record in the league and potentially push on for a top 4 finish. 

Alright lads, let's hear your thoughts!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: 3 Keys to Our Success for the Rest of This Season - Discussion
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2012 03:52:38 pm
      I can't wait for Gerrard and Suarez to get a few games together, it's potentially a lethal combination. Could still do with a poacher up there though, it has to be said.

Agger's fitness doesn't worry me that much now, I think this last, short lay-off was just a blip. He's looking fit and strong now and I agree, him and Skrtel are an excellent defensive pairing.

Reina is certainly not a concern for me. Yes he's made a few clangers but if we had been putting the ball in the net more often at the other end, those slip-ups wouldn't have been highlighted so much. I have absolute faith in Pepe.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2012 03:55:31 pm
      Gerrard and Suarez partnership.
      Along with Bellamy if we can keep him right.

Family Guy - Dear Diary

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Jan 26, 2012 03:56:37 pm
      1. Keeping our key players fit. Sadly I don't think we have the strength in depth to cope with too many injuries or tired players.

2. We need to start putting away our chances.

3. We definitely need to start putting away our chances.
      worzelgummidge
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 26, 2012 04:01:57 pm
      1. Stop giving away silly fouls or penalties, far to many.

2. Try and keep our best players fit.

3. Actually try and practice putting the ball in the net instead of doing woodwork challenges in training. :f_whistle:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Jan 26, 2012 05:26:55 pm
      3. Actually try and practice putting the ball in the net instead of doing woodwork challenges in training

Have we had a go at Soccer AM's Crossbar Challenge yet? We'd be F***ing awesome at that.
      worzelgummidge
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 26, 2012 05:36:03 pm
      I remember one on soccer AM where fans kick the ball over the wall and into a hole and you phone in and guess how many they will get, they got none i think, and Roy Evans strolled up in a suit and brogue shoes and got it first time, hehe..class :lmao:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2012 05:37:52 pm
      3 keys to success ... based on the assumption no one is arriving in the transfer window but anything is possible e.g. January last year.

1 Keep the defence tight.
         Keep doing what they have been doing.

2 Utilise Enrique and Johnson far more as second wingers.

3 Link Stevie up playing behind Suarez.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2012 05:52:47 pm
      3 keys to success:

1) Spearing - I honestly think everything hinges on Jay. Without Lucas our midfield is a mess and Spearing is the only one who I have faith in to fill that hole. Adam is wasted in the defensive/holding role and tbh he's awful at it anyway. An Adam, Spearing, Gerrard midfield would be quite successful IMO, but it comes down to Spearing staying healthy, free of suspension and playing like he did at the close of last season.
      2) Suarez - Physically I think the suspension will serve him well. He needed the rest and time off to get his head together (his frustration at his lack of goals was clear). He should return physically refreshed. The question is in his mental state. Can he fuel his frustration and anger into positive production? Or will those emotions get the best of him and make him erratic and ineffective? If Suarez comes back as a man on a mission then our fortunes will change immensely.
      3) Fitness - Bellamy has proven his importance and needs to stay fresh. Agger is having a wonderful season but the injury bug is always looming. Spearing, as I said above, is an important piece without Lucas and with a hamstring injury it'll be tough to keep him going.

Of course there's always the most important aspects of sports - PASSION. Play with passion at all times and we don't drop points against bottom teams like we've done.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2012 06:06:52 pm
       It's a hard one to answer objectively because there's been such a big variance in the way we've played this season. Usually we have looked much stronger when we have sat back and hit teams on the break, but in games like last night and the Mancs at Home in the league, we showed we CAN make the pace in a game and force the issue effectively.

I've always thought that as a club and as a fan base we are much more effective if we play at a high tempo and with passion and I'd make that my number one "key thing". Many of us hark back to the really good sides we had and talk of the beautiful football we played (and we did), but that doesn't mean we weren't very effective at pressing the ball and making the game. This for me is the key reason why we never looked like a Liverpool team under Hodgson, he favoured the siutting back in zones and waiting for teams to come on. Equally, it's why Carroll has never looked like a Liverpool player amongst other things. We don't do strollers up top, we expect our front men to fit as best they can into an Ian Rush "defend from the front" mantra. So number one is high tempo please.

Number two for me is that when Suarez comes back we support him better in terms of numbers and goalscoring, but also ask him to be a bit more disciplined in the way he leads the line. I'd like to see him go wide a little less often, take responsibility in terms of scoring a little more, and be a little less wasteful in possession, a bit less "greedy" if you like. So that's my number two Get Louis to be a little bit more of a team player .

Number three is simple. Keep Steven Gerrard fit . 'Nuff said.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2012 06:35:42 pm
      I think the key points are as follows:
      1. Suarez and Gerrard
      Already been said but this is the key for us
      2. Craig Bellamy
      He provides exactly what we need as an up front partner with Suarez. He moves well and understands the system Kenny wants to employ. He could be a key to improving our scoring even when Suarez comes back.
      3. The health of Agger and Skrtel
      They are dominant together and we need them on the field.
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2012 06:37:45 pm
      1) Spearing - I honestly think everything hinges on Jay. Without Lucas our midfield is a mess and Spearing is the only one who I have faith in to fill that hole. Adam is wasted in the defensive/holding role and tbh he's awful at it anyway. An Adam, Spearing, Gerrard midfield would be quite successful IMO, but it comes down to Spearing staying healthy, free of suspension and playing like he did at the close of last season.

While I admittedly have never been a huge admirer of Spearo's abilities, he is the only midfield player we have that is capable of doing a similar job as what Lucas did.  We have conceded many more goals in Lucas's absence, and we could really use the commitment and intensity in the heart of midfield that Spearo would bring to the table.  Having a player like this will also allow Stevie to focus more on attacking and creating goal scoring opportunities for Suarez when he returns. 

I've always thought that as a club and as a fan base we are much more effective if we play at a high tempo and with passion and I'd make that my number one "key thing". Many of us hark back to the really good sides we had and talk of the beautiful football we played (and we did), but that doesn't mean we weren't very effective at pressing the ball and making the game. This for me is the key reason why we never looked like a Liverpool team under Hodgson, he favoured the siutting back in zones and waiting for teams to come on. Equally, it's why Carroll has never looked like a Liverpool player amongst other things. We don't do strollers up top, we expect our front men to fit as best they can into an Ian Rush "defend from the front" mantra. So number one is high tempo please.

Fantastic point!  For some reason we seem to get lethargic when we play against teams that we should be beating.  I understand that we need to be patient while in possession, but that does not mean that we cannot attack with purpose when the time is right.  Far too often we fail to show enough aggression to pull defenders out of position and we resort to playing predictable passes and crosses that are comfortably dealt with.  If we up the tempo and play with a bit more purpose then I truly believe that we could put the teams like Wigan, Stoke, Bolton, Fulham, etc to the sword. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2012 07:45:45 pm
      I think we might lack a bit in the personal department but this is hardly an excuse for failure as proven by our record against top sides this season. I believe 100% of our problems are above the neckline and I also think that last nights win might be our catapult for the rest of the season.

1. (SYS "Small Club Syndrome") This is something we have suffered from with all the new players brought in. Let's be honest here the expectations demanded to wear this Kit and play at Anfield are not the same as NUFC, AV, Stoke and Blackpool. Early in the season we saw guy's like Adam and Hendo over compensating and trying to do too much. This period has been followed by letting up on the effort as perhaps they took heed of the advice to ease off a little to much to heart. Playing for this club is not only a culture shock but it comes with responsibilities that none of these fellas have had to deal with before. Yes they get paid a lot of money, Yes they are professionals but remember these are 20's something kids that one day are playing for the hometown club and the next day have 250k followers on twitter. You can't just punch the clock and show up like you did at Aston Villa when you play for the biggest club in the world.

2. (Winning is Everything) Champions in any sport are built not from the highest payroll but from hard work, commitment and a mentality that not only want's to win against big competition but wants to smash an inferior opponent. Winning is contagious and it is an attitude that can spread as quickly as the defeatism that spread thought the club the last year of H&G and Roy's tenure. Having a squad full of superstars means nothing if you have a team with no heart, it has been proved time and time again across the globe in all sports; while on paper we might not have the strongest squad in the world we have more than enough talent to achieve our goals and even exceed them for the rest of the season. I have little doubt that after the match last night Kenny told the squad "See how great this is"? i"If you want this then the effort you put forth tonight must be applied to every match you play whether it be against Citeh or Bolton. Winning breeds confidence, confidence makes those ball go in the back of the net and not hit the woodwork.

3. (Don't overestimate or overlook) Despite what players may have said in front of the camera we are as guilty of this as any team in football. The supporters will always pack Anfield with energy and excitement when we have a Citeh or MU coming to town, not quite the same attitude when its a Bolton or Swansea. I think the players have had the same attitude. Consistent effort in both practice and play are the hallmark of a winning side, those clubs that can replicate this year in and year out are the ones that make history. We have been very inconsistent but it goes hand in hand with bringing in a massive amount of new players and coming out of the darkness that was LFC 2010/2011.

While I have been disappointed in some players, Carroll in particular I have no doubt our side has the quality to with a double this year and finish in the top four. I also have no doubt that Kenny is not only the right man, but in fact the only man to move this club foward. Honestly Kenny, Gerrard and Carra are the only guys that know what it means to win and win big. Even stalwarts like Pepe, Lucas and Agger do not have this type of experience.

I truly hope that last nights win and the chance for all these lads to know what it means and what it takes to be a winner will really give us a boost the rest of this season and carry that mentality forward into the next one.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2012 08:22:05 pm
      Concentrating on Liverpool Football Club and Liverpool Football Club only.
      Getting behind the players, staff and board 100%.
      Making the sort of noise the fans made yesterday on a regular basis.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Jan 26, 2012 08:24:38 pm
      1. Start putting our chances away.
      2. Start putting our chances away.
      3. Start putting our chances away.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2012 09:25:13 pm
      Win the League Cup.

Win the FA cup.

Win the Premier League?
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2012 09:35:21 pm
      Win some silverware this will get the hunger culture back for more. make target practice mandantory in practice.Bench players who dont perform game in game out.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #17: Jan 26, 2012 09:50:50 pm
      1. Suarez/Gerrard partnership
      2. Keeping Dagger fit
      3. Managing to hit a few crosses/corners/free kicks that don't get cut out by the 1st defender
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Jan 26, 2012 10:11:09 pm
      1. Everyone to play like how they did yesterday and like how they have had over the course of the season bar performances like Spurs, Fulham and Bolton.

2. Start scoring/converting chances.

3. Fulfill number 1 and 2 above.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2012 10:09:24 am
      1. Effort

2. Attitude

3. Commitment

I think that might have been a mantra of a very successful manager we had in the 80's & early 90's.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2012 01:43:12 pm
      Have we had a go at Soccer AM's Crossbar Challenge yet? We'd be f**king awesome at that.

:lmao:

This and RLB's post sum it up.

Finish. Those. Chances!!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2012 03:45:42 pm
      1.  Winner Mentality
      2.  Creativity; and
      3. No less than 100% effort
      kevinho