Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Two Cups or the Champions League?

Read 9264 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Two Cups or the Champions League?
      Jan 28, 2012 08:28:00 pm
      So I was just listening to 606 on Radio 5 Live and I heard a Liverpool fan saying he'd swap the idea of winning one of both domestic cups in favour of getting in the Champions League. Have to say I was appalled by this!

How anyone can swap the tradition and more importantly the winning mentality installed into the squad by winning something as prestigious like the FA Cup at the cost of a few more extra quid by getting into the Champions League is beyond me. I absolutely love the Champions League and the possibility of winning it is always the ultimate dream besides winning the league. But a lot of us underestimate these cup competition. They so often provide the pinnacle of our memories, not qualifying for a top European competition. Who here would dare trade in some of our finest cup memories in favour of competing in competitions that offer some money? I would take winning the FA Cup every time over getting to the quarters of the Champions League and getting knocked out. We are Liverpool! We are in it to win trophies! Getting into the Champions League is not winning anything! Winning trophies is and always should be the first priority, not looking after financial assets! Some people!! I don't celebrate getting into the Champions League. I'd be very happy but I celebrate every time we win a knockout cup competition. The confidence and the positive mentality it can inspire within the players and fans is second to none and far outweighs the "achievement" of 4th place in the Premier League.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Two Cups or the Champions League?
      Reply #1: Jan 28, 2012 08:29:01 pm
      Trophies go down in history.

Finishing 4th does not.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4979 
      Reply #2: Jan 28, 2012 08:32:35 pm
      So I was just listening to 606 on Radio 5 Live and I heard a Liverpool fan saying he'd swap the idea of winning one of both domestic cups in favour of getting in the Champions League. Have to say I was appalled by this!

That guy, and sorry if I offend anyone on here, like most who phone up radio phone ins is an idiot.

You play football to win trophies. End of story.

It saddens me that many 'modern' football fans buy into the top four finish hype. What is the point of continually finishing in the top four if you never win a trophy?

I'd have a domestic cup any day over a top four finish.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #3: Jan 28, 2012 08:39:01 pm
      Trophy's all day long,We need a trophy its being six years 2 would be a great bonus!!.We are 5 points of 4th it is well in our reach.

No reason why we cant win the 2 cups and finish 4th
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2012 08:40:00 pm
      Who here would dare trade in some of our finest cup memories in favour of competing in competitions that offer some money?

Good post, especially touched by this part I quoted.

I can understand people wanting to get into the Champion's League. It's the top European competition, brings in extra money, and most of the best players in the world want to play in it.

It's part of the building process, and there's no denying that it's easier to win the league with the extra financial benefits and status.

However, I certainly wouldn't trade one or two cups for the "privilege" of getting a few games in the CL! The media overhyping the importance of this competition has polluted players and fan's minds alike. I remember reading what Barry said the other day, that he was pleased he chose City because he won an FA Cup (fair enough) and got to play in the Champion's League. FFS, they did sh*te in the CL, yet it's one of the highlights of his career?

Fourth spot in the league is annoying as well, people go on about the money it brings, yet fourth isn't even sure you'll get into the group stage.

Anyway, minor rant over. I obviously want us to play in the CL, to win it again, but I wouldn't trade a trophy and the glory that comes with it for a few matches in Europe.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2012 08:40:28 pm
      Winning, winning and winning - trophies are what it's all about not money
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2012 08:46:05 pm
      Trophies all the way! If we get our players firing on all cylinders i.e. goals from Dirk and Carroll and suarez back, 4th is an acheivable dream too!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Jan 28, 2012 08:56:47 pm
      Good post, especially touched by this part I quoted.

I can understand people wanting to get into the Champion's League. It's the top European competition, brings in extra money, and most of the best players in the world want to play in it.

It's part of the building process, and there's no denying that it's easier to win the league with the extra financial benefits and status.

However, I certainly wouldn't trade one or two cups for the "privilege" of getting a few games in the CL! The media overhyping the importance of this competition has polluted players and fan's minds alike. I remember reading what Barry said the other day, that he was pleased he chose City because he won an FA Cup (fair enough) and got to play in the Champion's League. FFS, they did sh*te in the CL, yet it's one of the highlights of his career?

Fourth spot in the league is annoying as well, people go on about the money it brings, yet fourth isn't even sure you'll get into the group stage.

Anyway, minor rant over. I obviously want us to play in the CL, to win it again, but I wouldn't trade a trophy and the glory that comes with it for a few matches in Europe.

Absolutely. The media talk about how the FA Cup has been "devalued" and the such. Yeah - by yourselves thinking the CL is the be all and end all!

F**k we're not Tottenham. It's competitions like today's which has made us the finest club in the world! How dare some of us disrespect it's history and it's importance to us. I for one will always remember our run in 2006 with unbelievable sentimentality. Cardiff 2006 and the matches that went before will always get me racing to youtube to replay those goals and memories again. Beating say the likes of PSV in the Champions League doesn't. I for one believe we have revived the League Cup by our run to the final! The enthusiasm displayed by fans on this website and all over for our run in that competition has been absolutely wonderful!
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 28, 2012 08:57:28 pm
      I got a good feeling about 2nd half of this season i think we'll win both cups and get the top 4 mark my words  :laugh:
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 28, 2012 09:04:24 pm
      Would be happy with the league cup.Having said that, this is Liverpool and I think we can win both cups still qualify for CL.Im gutted that we're not challenging for the league already.Although I like everyone else, question quality of signings or team selections Dalglish was right when he said that we didnt compete last week.Maybe theres enough quality there already to get fourth.Fuks sake we shud be outta sight.Look how sh*t Chelski,Arsenal, Newcastle are ffs.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #10: Jan 28, 2012 09:11:11 pm
      Both for me please.  And both are well within our capabilities.  We're a quarter of the way there being in one domestic cup final.  5th round of the FA Cup awaits us.  And we're only a few points off 4th place.

I want trophies more than anything, but you can't deny in the modern game, getting into the CL is important financially, and it seems to help to attract top quality players.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Jan 28, 2012 09:22:58 pm
      Good question :)
      I'm a huge fan of the Champions League. Playing against the best teams. Attracting players.
      But it's a pretty good feeling just now to be in a final, and be in the last 16 for another.
      Given the choice now, I'd take the 2 Cups :)

But would you swap top4 for just the 1 ...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Jan 28, 2012 09:25:11 pm
      No contest for me. Any trophy.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #13: Jan 28, 2012 09:41:10 pm
      Quote from ayrton77

Rafa was the biggest promoter of the Top 4 quest. Remember his "we don't need to win trophies" quote. And Rafa was God to half the fanbase.

Give up Wembley for 2 games against Besiktas and Maccabi Haifa? Not me anyway.

Try to win everything you enter, and you have a chance of winning something. Throw competitions away, and you'll probably end up with nothing. In our case for 6 years.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2012 09:42:17 pm
      All I'd say about top4 ... is that it's not JUST about being in the top4! And being in the CL. For me its because it would show we are making progress in the PL.
      Liverpool are about winning cups. Sure.  But for a long time we were about winning the League. The bread and butter. And more than anything else, CL, any Cup, I want to see us back at the TOP of the league table. We're not just going to rocket to the top in one season. We'll need to do it in steps. And if we get back into the top4, for me that is a step in that direction. If I could see Stevie G, or Pepe, one of the boys holding up the PL trophey, I cannot think of a better moment I could have in football.

If you told me we would win nothing at all for the next 4 years, nothing at all, but that we'd win the PL title in the 5th, I'd take that.
      And if we're good enough to be at the top, we might stay there a while :)
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2012 09:53:42 pm by bmck »
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2012 09:44:43 pm
      You don't get medals for finishing 4th.

Call me bonkers but I would take one trophy ahead of 4th place. As Eem said, trophies go down in history, finishing 4th does not. Of course the financial benefits are great, as is the draw of players, but Liverpool Football Club will always be a big draw to any player, regardless of what competition we're in.

In any case, we're making progress.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2012 09:52:03 pm

How anyone can swap the tradition and more importantly the winning mentality installed into the squad by winning something as prestigious like the FA Cup at the cost of a few more extra quid by getting into the Champions League is beyond me. I absolutely love the Champions League and the possibility of winning it is always the ultimate dream besides winning the league. But a lot of us underestimate these cup competition. They so often provide the pinnacle of our memories, not qualifying for a top European competition. Who here would dare trade in some of our finest cup memories in favour of competing in competitions that offer some money? I would take winning the FA Cup every time over getting to the quarters of the Champions League and getting knocked out. We are Liverpool! We are in it to win trophies! Getting into the Champions League is not winning anything! Winning trophies is and always should be the first priority, not looking after financial assets! Some people!! I don't celebrate getting into the Champions League. I'd be very happy but I celebrate every time we win a knockout cup competition. The confidence and the positive mentality it can inspire within the players and fans is second to none and far outweighs the "achievement" of 4th place in the Premier League.

My view mate is 4th is not a success. Its a money making way of getting the big clubs into the champions league.

Theres no pride in finishing 4th. Bloody hell theres 3 ahead of you after 38 matches!! No achievement in that for me.

To see Gerrard lift 2 cups in Wembley is an achievement one the record books will show forever. Most times people forget who finish 2nd so theyll never remember 4th
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #17: Jan 28, 2012 09:53:09 pm
      It's all about winning...

A cup double would be amazing..! Even the League Cup would be great. I hate this 'Arsenal Mentality' around football... I would rather win a cup than win nothing and concistantly get dumped out of every competition in the quarter finals, no matter what the competition is!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2012 09:57:31 pm
      My view mate is 4th is not a success. Its a money making way of getting the big clubs into the champions league.

Theres no pride in finishing 4th. Bloody hell theres 3 ahead of you after 38 matches!! No achievement in that for me.

To see Gerrard lift 2 cups in Wembley is an achievement one the record books will show forever. Most times people forget who finish 2nd so theyll never remember 4th

Totally. As if any of us recall the sweet moment of 2008 when we finished 4th in 2008. Oh I look back on it with many happy memories....not. I do however look back at winning the League Cup in 2003 with a great smile and just to show it wasn't about beating the Mancs like it was then, 2001 as well.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #19: Jan 28, 2012 10:03:19 pm
      Success normally breeds success. Cups all the way, winning becomes a habit. Maybe as a club, we need the champions league money however in the future I will always remember the trophy wins ahead of finishing in 4th.
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 28, 2012 10:13:33 pm
      Win the League Cup and we have a place in europe which might take some of the pressure off and allow us to play !
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #21: Jan 28, 2012 10:14:42 pm

Agreed Brian - LFC is based on competing, giving your best and finishing 1st in the competitions you enter. I want Champs League but I wanna see Stevie and Kenny holding silverware a whole lot more.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2012 10:22:40 pm
      [
      Agreed Brian - LFC is based on competing, giving your best and finishing 1st in the competitions you enter. I want Champs League but I wanna see Stevie and Kenny holding silverware a whole lot more.

Dont get me wrong Scotia I love seeing us in the champions league but Id much rather we won the league to qualify then finish 4th. And gathering cups in May is what were here for as a club not finishing 4th

Quick Reply