Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Would you want our rivals to go bust?

Read 5737 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Would you want our rivals to go bust?
      Feb 15, 2012 09:48:04 pm
      I was talking at work today with a guy who is a Newcastle/Celtic fan, something i never get, supporting two sides.

But he is cock-a-hoop that Rangers are going to the wall, even though i explained it is very unlikely that they will go out of existence.

But it got me thinking on the drive home tonight, would you want our rivals to go bust and just go? I personally wouldnt, Everton or Utd, id miss the banter, the rivalry, the oneupmanship, the derby, having someone to dislike, hell even the fear of losing to them.

Dont get me wrong id take some pleasure in seeing their fans sweat  ;D But i genuinely wouldnt want them to go..

But other Celtic fans ive heard on the radio etc seem to share his view..

Whats your guys and gals thoughts? Would you want to see Utd and/or Everton go out of existence?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Re: Would you want our rivals to go bust?
      Reply #1: Feb 15, 2012 09:53:17 pm
      I wouldn't want them to go bust as you say rivalry is one of the best things about supporting a football club.

It would be more than amusing if the blues**te or mancs got relegated for a season or two but to never have a derby game again or a game against Man United would be something I would miss.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:51 pm by srslfc »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2012 10:00:59 pm
      No never in a million years. We would have nothing to moan/shout.complain/happy when we smash you off the park.  :lmao: Plus this forum wouldn't exist.

never never never.
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:07 pm
      Wouldn't mind seeing Everton/Mancs relegated for a season or two, but rivalry is what football is all about so wouldn't want them to go bust completely. Important 12 points for us too, seeing as we perform better in the heated atmosphere but struggle in 'smaller matches'
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3866 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:24 pm
      Relegated - Yes.
      Go bust - er. Depends on the club.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:42 pm
      I wouldn't want any club to go under, for the sake of their fans but there are plenty of clubs that I would love to go under because of their owners.

ManUre : After hearing David Gill on BBC Parlaiment saying he doesn't give a F**k about debt because they keep winning, I would love them to go under.

Everton : Kenwright keeps banging on about trying hard to sell the club, I don't believe him. I think he's clinging on to the club knowing full well that he could end up dragging them down. He should show some dignity and let go.

Chelsea : No history, bought success thanks to the smug Russian. Let's not forget that they didn't simply buy the first team, they were able to tempt Mourine over when he wouldn't have been interested before and they have been able to build up their academy both in terms of facilities and poaching young players from more 'historical clubs'. They aren't going to slip away quietly.

Man Citeh : Similar reasons to the above with the added fact that they so blatantly flaunted the FFP rules with the back-hander sponsorship deal. Their immense wealth is akin to having a cheat code for Football Manager.

Newcastle : I have a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle but Ashley is a prize tw*t, looking out for number one.

As I said though, I wouldn't actually want them to go under for the same reasons you said yourself, PD.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2012 10:04:12 pm
      Relegated - Yes.
      Go bust - er. Depends on the club.

Relegated and no derby then mate.  :-\
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2012 10:05:46 pm
      A good point on the attitude of certain owners Rep as they do deserve to be taught a lesson or two but like you the fans of those clubs shouldn't have to lose out because of poor ownership.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3866 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2012 10:06:14 pm
      United and Everton I'd only wish relegation on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2012 10:07:53 pm
      United and Everton I'd only wish relegation on.

You sad man. Can't wait for Hammy to stuff you now.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3866 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2012 10:10:03 pm
      I've had to listen to arrogant Manc fans for 20 years.
      The silence would be golden.

Hammy? Don't kid yourself.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2012 10:12:33 pm
      I've had to listen to arrogant Manc fans for 20 years.
      The silence would be golden.

Hammy? Don't kid yourself.

Were not all arrogant. However, in the 70s United fans had to listen to pool fans doing the same.   ;)
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2012 10:12:59 pm
      After some of the sh*te I had thrown at me during the end of H&G era.. I would be tempted

But no, would take the excitement out of the game
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2012 10:15:04 pm
      I think I would not mind Man Utd getting relegated, especially under Ferguson, who shows no respect to anyone. But would not like to see any club go out of business as every club has their role to play in the game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Feb 15, 2012 10:15:42 pm
      After some of the sh*te I had thrown at me during the end of H&G era.. I would be tempted

But no, would take the excitement out of the game

Maybe just wish H&G on the Mancs or bitter.  :P
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 15, 2012 10:18:13 pm
      Would love to see Ferguson relegated...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2012 10:19:04 pm
      Never, without the clubs, their is no rivalry.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2012 10:43:32 pm
      I'd piss myself laughing if United and/or Everton were relegated but going under is too far for me. Genuine fans don't deserve that and I would miss the rivalry.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2012 11:00:50 pm
      I don't necessarily want them to go bust (but wouldn't mind relegation, ;D) but I would like teams like United to go without winning any silverware for 20 years.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2012 11:11:39 pm
      Man United-yes
      I can't think anything other at the moment after the way they have systematically tried to drive away and discredit our (arguably) best player. What they have done is not sport in any way and how many in their club have stood up for what is right-fans or personnel.

Of course I know my answer is wrong on many levels but I'm angry, bitter and tired out at the whole affair.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Feb 15, 2012 11:12:47 pm
      i'd love to see the mancs go down, even if they were promoted the season following just so that all of their "fans" over here in Oz shut the F**k up about them when they have no idea what they're talking about, instead simply jumping on the bandwagon of the successful team of the time. I hate listening to people try to talk about how good 'their' club is when they wouldn't even know how they went last week against us...

But apart from that not really... maybe see everton go down too for a year so they can't claim to be 'the only club never to be relegated from 1st division'
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Feb 15, 2012 11:20:01 pm
      Were not all arrogant. However, in the 70s United fans had to listen to pool fans doing the same.   ;)

Well luckily for United fans back then there was no internet. Really brings the arrogance to a whole new level :D
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 15, 2012 11:27:50 pm
      i would seriously like to  see man ure go bust.i loathe everything about them. i would love an LFC supporting multi  multi  billionaire buy them out and then destroy them,first by selling their players and then selling/dismantling old toilet and watch them  get  relegated each  season until they  are in the northwest  counties league 10th division................ ..HA HA HA

as an old git im lucky in that  ive seen them relegated in the 1970s into the 2nd division. im hoping at  least  you youngsters get  to  experience that  too in your lifetimes.its fantastic to  witness.

fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2012 11:35:42 pm
      i would seriously like to  see man ure go bust.i loathe everything about them. i would love an LFC supporting multi  multi  billionaire buy them out and then destroy them,first by selling their players and then selling/dismantling old toilet and watch them  get  relegated each  season until they  are in the northwest  counties league 10th division................ ..HA HA HA

as an old git im lucky in that  ive seen them relegated in the 1970s into the 2nd division. im hoping at  least  you youngsters get  to  experience that  too in your lifetimes.its fantastic to  witness.

When i win the lottery then bet it all on a multi paying ridiculous odds this is my plan :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2012 11:37:53 pm

How about the 80's as well!!

And yes I would laugh my arse off if United went under.

Everton no longer bother me!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2012 11:41:25 pm
      Yes if it was the Scum I would want to wipe them off the face off the earth.
      Bier
      Reply #26: Feb 16, 2012 12:30:24 am
      Celtic fans would be stupid to take too much enjoyment out of Rangers' issues. Scottish football is in a dire state, and this will only make it worse, and that will affect Celtic too. Scottish football was already seriously dropping on the UEFA rankings before this and it won't be long before Champions League football will be out of reach forever for them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #27: Feb 16, 2012 01:47:55 am
      Can't say I want any of them to go bust.

But a few torrid years under horrific owners, seeing major players sold on a regular basis with either no one or an older, worse player to replace them?

Go on then, we've had it. It's only fair. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #28: Feb 16, 2012 03:07:21 am
      Can't say I want any of them to go bust.

But a few torrid years under horrific owners, seeing major players sold on a regular basis with either no one or an older, worse player to replace them?

Go on then, we've had it. It's only fair. ;)

This :D

I'd hate to lose them altogether. But some of their dumb F**k fans need to go through some tough times to realize what its like.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #29: Feb 16, 2012 06:20:46 am
      I would not mind Manure going under with one proviso,Ferguson is still their manager when it happens.There would be singing in the streets and football would be all the better for it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Feb 16, 2012 09:25:23 am
      And yes I would laugh my arse off if United went under.

I'll go with that.

Why would I 'miss' a club I loathe? I didn't miss playing them when they were in the second division and I wouldn't miss playing them again. We'd just have a new paradigm - 'football without the vile club that Man U has become' - Yeah I could live with that.  8)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #31: Feb 16, 2012 09:20:22 pm
      As much as i hate United, loathe Chelsea and dismiss Everton, I personally love the rivalries that we have.
      Would be a poorer season without those games....though i would love them all to suffer the same depressing times we have had recently...oh, the bitters have and always will!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #32: Feb 16, 2012 10:56:21 pm
      Good always needs evil to survive ,so no i wouldn"t like to see the red devils go down , maybe relegated, as for our neighbours across the park they were creaming themselves when we nearly got fu**ed over by the first set of yanks ,so definitely relegated for 5 yrs.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #33: Feb 17, 2012 01:19:11 pm
      Portsmouth have just gone into admin for the 2nd time!  :-\
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #34: Feb 17, 2012 01:54:39 pm

As a 28 year old you would have 1st hand experience of this 70's experience wouldn't you?.

Trust me, Utd were just as irritating when they were winning F**k all, and that was with out the internet/Facebook/Twitter/Live Football/Sky.

Other teams bar a few did F**k all when we were about to go down the pan, so let them go under.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #35: Feb 17, 2012 02:17:27 pm
      As a 28 year old you would have 1st hand experience of this 70's experience wouldn't you?.

Trust me, Utd were just as irritating when they were winning F**k all, and that was with out the internet/Facebook/Twitter/Live Football/Sky.

Other teams bar a few did F**k all when we were about to go down the pan, so let them go under.

F**k me even when they got relegated and they were in the old 1st division they got more coverage than anyone else.
      The only reason they're winning a few trophies is Liverpool aren't.
      LFC were the only club that were capable of twatting  them on a consistant basis and when we took the knock the shackles were off.
      Their luck stayed true and no team has found the wherewithall to mount a serious challenge.
      Only now when they are taking the piss fielding pensioners are they being found wanting, there might be a bit of disquiet at the old toilet tho' when Slur Alco put's his name on the teamsheet for a hobble out next week.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #36: Feb 17, 2012 02:21:39 pm
      Every year with the media in the 70s and 80s, we had to listen to how United were on the verge of greatness and how the period of LFC period dominance was about to end. I remember it well because as a youngster I did fret about what if what the media were saying was true.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #37: Feb 17, 2012 02:27:09 pm
      Every year with the media in the 70s and 80s, we had to listen to how United were on the verge of greatness and how the period of LFC period dominance was about to end. I remember it well because as a youngster I did fret about what if what the media were saying was true.
      And they're still verging having only won three (3)  European cups, it's driving arl purple nose F***ing crazy hahahaha. 
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #38: Feb 17, 2012 02:58:41 pm
      Football is made great by rivalries. Without United and Everton, it wouldn't be quite the same feeling of elation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Feb 17, 2012 03:16:36 pm
      Thinking about it, i would like to see Man United wiped out simply because I can't stand 95% of their fans.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #40: Feb 17, 2012 04:22:08 pm

Trust me, Utd were just as irritating when they were winning f**k all, and that was with out the internet/Facebook/Twitter/Live Football/Sky.

Other teams bar a few did f**k all when we were about to go down the pan, so let them go under.

28 year old? what you on about?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #41: Feb 17, 2012 04:38:03 pm

:lmao:

Thought your + was your age on your profile!

But I stand by the second part of my post.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,181 posts | 2752 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42: Feb 17, 2012 04:45:44 pm
      :lmao:

Thought your + was your age on your profile!

But I stand by the second part of my post.

:lmao: I forgive you  :lmao:

However, your still wrong with the second part as well  :D

In the 70s i got a fair bit of stick from you lot  ;D (( I was in my teens ))... Its worse now though  :'(
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #43: Feb 17, 2012 04:56:13 pm
      In the 70s i got a fair bit of stick from you lot   (( I was in my teens ))... Its worse now though

Yes because now you come looking for it!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #44: Feb 17, 2012 05:20:34 pm
      I remember my delight seeing a crane with a wrecking ball knocking down the stands at Goodison I was convinced they were being demolished.Unfortunately they built a new stand much to my dismay.
      So I would be more than happy to see an end to Everton being brought up next to Goodison in the 60's and 70's would make anyone  bitter .
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #45: Feb 17, 2012 05:23:26 pm
      Yes.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #46: Feb 17, 2012 05:43:06 pm
      Don't give a sh*te about everton, insignificant is the word that springs to mind. Having said that I still enjoy the build up to and watching of the derby.

Given the last debacle caused by the manager and captain of the other lot I could gladly watch them two go under (about 6 foot should suffice) and then the remainder to get relegated and enjoy playing to crowds of 15,000 every week.

If Carlsberg did the future.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: Feb 17, 2012 05:53:51 pm
      Just Chelsea city and especially Utd. Saw some rumours around twitter Chelsea are next in line to be invested for off shore payments. Would be interesting if it was true
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: Feb 17, 2012 06:07:52 pm
      Would love to see United go bust because of their sheer arrogance and the way they think they are better than everybody. Along with having the FA in the their pockets, having a alcoholic arrogant pr**k as manager and for their actions towards Suarez. Would also shut their fair weather "supporters" up.

Other than them not really because its quite amusing seeing Chelsea go through so many managers and when the like of Roman and the City owners get bored them clubs will be up the shi**er financially anyway.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #49: Feb 18, 2012 10:43:02 am
      Quote from srslfc
      I wouldn't want them to go bust as you say rivalry is one of the best things about supporting a football club.

It would be more than amusing if the blues**te or mancs got relegated for a season or two but to never have a derby game again or a game against Man United would be something I would miss.

The first Liverpool game I saw was against the mancs in the cup in 85. We lost the replay, and I've hated them ever since. The home game against them every year is the most important game of the year imo. As for the away game, it's just another fixture that has to be fulfilled.

Of course I would prefer if they went downhill fast. The faster the better. I can only imagine how delighted fellow Reds were in '74, when they got relegated.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #50: Feb 18, 2012 10:59:31 am
      I'd rather they went boom when hit by a meteorite
      cocore
      Reply #51: Feb 22, 2012 03:07:41 am
      Would love to see Ferguson relegated... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quick Reply