Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Oblivion

Read 1721 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Oblivion
      Feb 26, 2012 11:58:20 am

Thought this all-time classic game deserved it's own thread, despite it's age.

I've only had my XBox 360 about a year, so I've been making my way through some of the best games, and I'm currently loving this one!

Still near the beginning of the game. Followed the main quest for only a short time, before deciding to do some of the side quests and guild missions.

I've so far completed the Thieves guild and the Arena battles, next up I think will be the Mages guild.

Despite the graphics looking slightly outdated, the sheer size of the game and amount of stuff you can do is at first a little overwhelming, but now I'm into it, I can't get enough!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Oblivion
      Reply #1: Feb 26, 2012 01:47:25 pm
      I got this with my first xbox 360 along with Prey and MotoGP. I completed Prey (excellent game for the time) but just couldn't get my head around Oblivion so sold it on to buy more games. Now I've played Skyrim, I wish I'd given Oblivion more of a chance but there's no way I could go back to it now, it would surely feel like an inferior version in terms of graphics and AI.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Feb 26, 2012 02:06:00 pm
      Oblivion is a cracking game Rep and not that inferior graphically to Skyrim. It's just a pity you play on an x-box mate, because with the MOD's available on PC you can enhance the graphics considerably.

The only real problem with the game imo is that closing the Oblivion gates becomes a little repetitive after a while. I thought the house quests(especially tha Mages quests) were outstanding. Loved Lucian Lachance in the Dark Brotherhood quest too.(makes a small cameo appearance in Skyrim)

You can pick it up for next to nothing now mate, I would give it a try.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2012 02:24:35 pm
      Well I couldn't handle another game now, too much of my free time is taken up by Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and occasionally GTA IV expansions. I might give it a blast again at some point though.
      redstuart1971
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2012 05:44:24 pm
      I didnt think a game could get any better than oblivion untill of course Skyrim came out...oh happy days
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Mar 08, 2012 07:29:52 am
      One thing I have trouble with: levelling up.

Despite not advancing in the main quest yet, it feels like I've done an awful lot of side missions yet I'm only level 10 at the moment.

I've fully completed the Thieves Guild, Mages Guild and Arena quest lines, as well as the Shivering Isles DLC, so thought I'd be a higher level.

I've read people saying it's better to level up slower as the enemies are easy, but I'd honestly prefer more of a challenge, and not just by changing the difficulty level, as I have the bar at about two-thirds which isn't bad.

I'd also like to meet stronger enemies, not just the same ones. Hit level ten and started having some cool crazy trolls and minotaurs, which have whetted my appetite! :D

Could I be "playing" wrong? I don't fancy sitting around repeating some boring moves for hours just to level up a bit, but is that the only way?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Mar 09, 2012 12:32:06 am
      One thing I have trouble with: levelling up.

Despite not advancing in the main quest yet, it feels like I've done an awful lot of side missions yet I'm only level 10 at the moment.

I've fully completed the Thieves Guild, Mages Guild and Arena quest lines, as well as the Shivering Isles DLC, so thought I'd be a higher level.

I've read people saying it's better to level up slower as the enemies are easy, but I'd honestly prefer more of a challenge, and not just by changing the difficulty level, as I have the bar at about two-thirds which isn't bad.

I'd also like to meet stronger enemies, not just the same ones. Hit level ten and started having some cool crazy trolls and minotaurs, which have whetted my appetite! :D

Could I be "playing" wrong? I don't fancy sitting around repeating some boring moves for hours just to level up a bit, but is that the only way?

Not sure how you have managed to achieve so much and not got to a much higher level mate. Best advice is don't get too good gear early on. e.g. use a crappy sword.....more hits means you will level up quicker.

If all else fails just pay someone to train you, and keep your eye open for skill books.   

I usually join the arena, soon raises your levels. Stand and watch the two fist fighting outside the arena as well for a couple of minutes this will raise your skills. When you get to the Blades stronghold watch the two Blades fighting for a couple of minutes.... again raises your skills.   
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Mar 09, 2012 08:05:34 am
      Was thinking about why you have leveled so slowly Ayrton. The only reason I can think of is that your playing style doesn't match your character build e.g. you created a mage character but are using your sword instead of magic. Your main build choices level much faster than other skills, so if you only use your other skills (the ones you didn't choose), you will level much slower. If that makes sense?   
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #8: Mar 09, 2012 12:23:05 pm
      Not sure how you have managed to achieve so much and not got to a much higher level mate. Best advice is don't get too good gear early on. e.g. use a crappy sword.....more hits means you will level up quicker.

If all else fails just pay someone to train you, and keep your eye open for skill books.   

I do think I got some cracking gear far too early in the game.

Also, I found (stole) myself an absolute beast of a sword during the Shivering Isles quest, doing around 16-17 damage when I was about level 8, which meant I was just slaughtering everything in one hit. Easy, but not good for levelling, I don't think.

Should have left that questline to the end, as the accessories you find are great, but perhaps too good when you're a low level!

Was thinking about why you have leveled so slowly Ayrton. The only reason I can think of is that your playing style doesn't match your character build e.g. you created a mage character but are using your sword instead of magic. Your main build choices level much faster than other skills, so if you only use your other skills (the ones you didn't choose), you will level much slower. If that makes sense?   

That makes a lot of sense.

I wasn't sure what style character to create at the beginning as I knew nothing about the game, so made one that was essentially a swordsman and a bit brainless.

However, as I discovered the game I saw the benefits, for example, of using magic to heal myself rather than buying /finding potions, amongst other things. So, I've really been using a large range of skills rather than just my major ones.

I suppose I could start the game over with a new, more balanced character, but I don't think I will. I'll probably go to the end of the game now, then start over.

But the options at the beginning are so overwhelming when you're new to the game, I'm not surprised I messed up a bit!

Quick Reply