Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Martin Skrtel
      133 (49.1%)
      Stewart Downing
      107 (39.5%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      20 (7.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (0.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      0 (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      0 (0%)
      Dan Agger
      3 (1.1%)
      Craig Bellamy
      0 (0%)
      Andy Carroll
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.4%)
      Someone else?
      2 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 264

2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation

Read 64817 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1242: Feb 27, 2012 07:44:04 am
      Just came in to say GET THE F**k IN!!!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1243: Feb 27, 2012 07:57:33 am
      We won! Congrats to Cardiff City for a brave and great game.

WHERE ARE YOU FERNANDO TORRES?

Sorry for the excitement!
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1244: Feb 27, 2012 08:17:15 am
      Skrtel was superb.

Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson need to improve massively if they are to continue in our side.

Delighted for everyone, the owners, the staff, Kenny, The Players and most importantly, us!! Its been a hard few years... :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1245: Feb 27, 2012 08:24:44 am
      say we do win the cups and finish fourth, who gets into Europa League? the next down on the ladder or the runners up in the cup finals?

Quote from Wiki
      Redistribution rules

A Europa League place is vacated when a team qualifies for both the Champions League and the Europa League, or qualifies for the Europa League by more than one method. When a place is vacated, it is redistributed within the national association by the following rules:

* When the domestic cup winners (considered as the "highest-placed" qualifiers within the national association) also qualify for the Champions League, their Europa League place is vacated, and the remaining Europa League qualifiers are moved up one place, with the final place (with the earliest starting round) taken by the domestic cup runners-up, provided they do not already qualify for the Champions League or the Europa League. Otherwise, this place is taken by the highest-placed league finishers that have not yet qualified for the Europa League.

* When the domestic cup winners also qualify for the Europa League through league position, their place through the league position is vacated, and the Europa League qualifiers that finish lower in the league are moved up one place, with the final place taken by the highest-placed league finishers that have not yet qualified for the Europa League.

* A place vacated by the League Cup winners is taken by the highest-placed league finishers that have not yet qualified for the Europa League.

* A Fair Play place is taken by the highest-ranked team in the domestic Fair Play table that has not yet qualified for the Champions League or the Europa League.

I think this means that Cardiff won't get Europa League next season if we qualify for the CL, it will mean there'll be an extra spot allocated for a Premier league side.

However, had this been the FA Cup final (domestic cup in the above quote) AND we qualified for the CL by finishing fourth in the league, Cardiff would have had the Europa League spot.

For European qualification, the FA Cup is the highest ranked qualification spot, higher than finishing fifth in the league, as they go directly into the Group stage, whilst fifth goes into the final qualification round.

It's all rather complicated, by the article is here is you want to take a look (you can jump to 1.3 Redistribution rules):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012-13_UEFA_Europa_League
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1246: Feb 27, 2012 08:24:44 am
      well we did it the hard way but we are Liverpool, nobody lets us do anything "easy", we had to work damn hard for what we have! an 8th league cup!

this was my first final as a true red. i was too young and didn't love football in the finals we played in 06 and 07. this team feels like my team and i've been waiting for the day i can look up a final and see "my" team, the team i've got to know so well the past few years, forever written in history with a trophy. it is special when you follow a team up to a final, you know exactly how they've all been playing leading up to it.. we'll look back at this and remember how henderson played an hour of a final in his first season, OK so he wasn't fantastic but hopefully he soaks it all up and enjoys it and grows with us. we'll remember fondly the end of last season, when the Skrtel Agger partnership and the idea of them being our first choices fully fit for a long period was pure fantasy. now they are written in history together as LFC centre backs, trophy winners! then of course downing, who before the brighton game looked as far away as torres as playing in a cup final on his form.. but two huge games in the cups and this could set him alight. lord knows we need it coming towards qualifying for CL.

oh yeah, and we have Europa League football next season. I am stoked with that. no matter what happens our boys will be getting priceless experience all over the world next year. so let's give that opportunity to someone who finishes lower than us, we have Champions League to qualify for!! and how about another cup? why not give another team a go! :D which reminds me, say we do win the cups and finish fourth, who gets into Europa League? the next down on the ladder or the runners up in the cup finals?

If we win FA cup, runners up get that spot in the Europa, unless they have qualified for Champs League.
      if we get 4th, and neither Arsenal nor Chelsea win the Champions League (no chance at the moment I know, but...) then our Europa spot goes to team in 6th
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #1247: Feb 27, 2012 09:24:42 am
          Gerrard created eight goalscoring chances, most of any player in the game.
          Downing delivered 20 crosses, four of which reached a team-mate (13 from open play) – 20%
          Dirk Kuyt completed all seven of his passes – 100%
          Gerrard completed 92% of his 96 passes
          Four Liverpool players made >100 touches. Gerrard 122, Jose Enrique 111, Johnson 110 & Downing 107
          Martin Skrtel made 14 clearances, more than any other player.
          Andy Carroll won all 11 of his aerial duels – 100%

Phil Thompson watching and celebrating Liverpool - Cardiff penalty shoot-out Carling Cup
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1248: Feb 27, 2012 09:29:22 am
      absolutely buzzing with this, winners once again. i don't care if they're a championship side, they're a championship side pushing for promotion. and don't forget this was a wembley final, everyone could raise their game on the day, like b'ham did against arsenal last year.sod the boo boys and the jealous eye, the team worked their socks off for the victory and a thoroughly deserved one.

start of a new era :) ynwa.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #1249: Feb 27, 2012 09:33:28 am
      We earned it!!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1250: Feb 27, 2012 09:35:21 am
      it does not matter were in the world you are when our REDMEN bring home a trophy to Anfield,it is cause for celebration.The Good Times Are Back.

For sure Billy. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride Redmen...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #1251: Feb 27, 2012 09:38:51 am
      With the trophy in the cabinet normal service has been resumed, just the push the squad needed and now they have tasted the glory sit back and watch the "Rise" of LFC once more.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #1252: Feb 27, 2012 09:43:47 am
      WHERE ARE YOU FERNANDO TORRES?

Lost and walking alone somewhere in London?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #1253: Feb 27, 2012 10:01:33 am
      I can't speak! :D

Fantastic buzz on the coach down and in the services.  Even better around the ground. The pubs were packed, songs going off one after the other. Exactly the way it should be! :)

Even though I was up in the hills, not a bad seat at all...

As for the game, I think we played well but it just weren't going for us.  It definitely felt like one of those days, especially when they grabbed their last minute second.  Should have known we'd have done it the hard way though.  I thought it'd be close but not as close as it was! :D

Over the moon for the lads.  Ignore the naysayers, this will give the squad a huge boost - hopefully enough for us to carry into our league form.  Onto Wembley again for the FA Cup though, they've had the taste now and will be hungry for more.

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012 10:20:44 am by CRK »
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #1254: Feb 27, 2012 10:06:20 am
      Thanks to all the coaching staff. They must have stretched all the players beyond their abilities technically, physically and mentally. Our pass and move act is finally getting together.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,643 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1255: Feb 27, 2012 10:08:16 am
      Need to settle myself with a quick cuppa.  :laugh:

Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #1256: Feb 27, 2012 10:11:15 am
      Just woke up! Knackered! It's never easy is it! Really really happy even though really hungover. Don't remember getting home! Happy days!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,643 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1257: Feb 27, 2012 10:11:34 am
      cocore
      Reply #1258: Feb 27, 2012 10:11:50 am
       ;D ;D ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,197 posts | 2761 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1259: Feb 27, 2012 10:32:53 am
      Well what can i say? It was a great match for the neutrals that's for sure. Did you deserve to win? Well at that matter is you did. Well done team Liverpool and the fans. I can't go by without saying something about Cardiff. You were a credit to your division and were very unlucky to go away with nothing from the game. You really gave Liverpool FC a run for their money.

Enjoy the cup lads, once again well done.  :)
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #1260: Feb 27, 2012 10:35:34 am
      lost my voice, watched it in a little pub on slater street, great atmosphere great night,
      these are the best highlights i found

{HD}liverpool vs cardiff carling cup final highlights 2012 dramatic game
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #1261: Feb 27, 2012 10:36:38 am
      I can't go by without saying something about Cardiff. You were a credit to your division and were very unlucky to go away with nothing from the game. You really gave Liverpool FC a run for their money.

Couldn't agree more.  Fantastic performance from them, a credit to their club.

Nice one Keith.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1262: Feb 27, 2012 10:42:21 am
      My throat still hurts, I think it's been years since I sang and shouted so much in a game. After the game I barely had any voice left. Wanted to wake up early today cause Im gonna visit some museums here in London, but after a game like that, I had to stay at the hostel's bar until it was closing. Just woke up, gonna go for some normal tourism now, for a change.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1263: Feb 27, 2012 10:46:26 am
      My throat still hurts, I think it's been years since I sang and shouted so much in a game. After the game I barely had any voice left. Wanted to wake up early today cause Im gonna visit some museums here in London, but after a game like that, I had to stay at the hostel's bar until it was closing. Just wake up, gonna go for some normal tourism now, for a change.

You our new lucky charm? ;)

You know you'll have to come back over for the FA Cup final, now! ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #1264: Feb 27, 2012 10:48:19 am
      We should have had a stonewall pen. though when the ball came off a defenders knee and struck his arm, the ref was unsighted of course but where are  the linesmen and all the supposed extra officials, Suarez et al were all gesticulating but the ref was oblivious. 

Quick Reply