Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Reina's clean sheet record. now x 2

Read 1937 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reina's clean sheet record. now x 2
      Apr 23, 2007 03:04:12 pm
      What record does Pepe Reina now hold that is better than the likes of Ray Clemence and Bruce Grobbelaar? We can reveal that the Spanish stopper has the best post-war record of clean sheets in his first 100 starts. 
      Reina, who played his 100th game for Liverpool against Wigan Athletic on Saturday, has kept 55 clean sheets. Clemence kept 51 clean sheets in his first 100 starts for Liverpool, Grobbelaar has 50 while Istanbul hero Jerzy Dudek had 45 shut outs in his first 100 starts.

With thanks to Liverpool FC's official statistician Ged Rea here is the clean sheets record for goalkeepers in their first 100 starts for the club since the 1960's for Liverpool.

1, Pepe Reina. 55 clean sheets.

2. Ray Clemence. 51 clean sheets.

3. Bruce Grobbelaar. 50 clean sheets.

4. Jerzy Dudek. 45 clean sheets.

5. Sander Westerveld. 42 clean sheets.

6. David James. 36 clean sheets.

7. Tommy Lawrence. 28 clean sheets

Let's hope these clean sheets continue, and our forwards keep on scoring  ;)
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 07:21:07 pm by mrtommo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Re: Reina's clean sheet record.
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2007 06:18:02 pm
      Very impressive record.  Knew he had kept a fair few but this is a good statistic.  Now if only we could get them firing in the other end.

Well done Pepe... oh and the defence of course.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Apr 23, 2007 06:19:32 pm
      That's so good ;D I think me being there helped ;)
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 23, 2007 11:27:44 pm
      He's done well. No question.  I think him being bald helps with his aerodynamic saves.

Also the fact that ENGLAND'S BEST FRIGGIN DEFENDER is in front of him has something to do with it.

Well done Reina (and Carra)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #4: Apr 23, 2007 11:59:46 pm
      Well done Pepe, only 88 to go before you "catch" David James!  ;) Liverpool FC is in safe hands when you're between the sticks!
      The only thing that makes me nervous is when he does his Superman impression - comes out, gets airborne with his arm outstretched, fist clenched! It looks great when he makes contact with the ball but I cringe when he doesn't but that's goalkeeping... hero or villan.
      Clean sheet on Wednesday = clean underwear for Liverpool fans  ;) :champ: :superkewl: :scarf:
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2007 09:00:25 am
      He's done well. No question.  I think him being bald helps with his aerodynamic saves.
      Hahahaha ;D
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2007 11:53:42 am
      Well done Pepe I wasnt to sure about him looked dodgy a times but hes got a great defence in front of him so some credit most go to carra and the rest for this.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2007 01:36:14 pm
      Just out of interest, I know he was pre-war, but does anyone know what the stat was for Elisha Scott?

Also while I think about it, why are stats always 'post war'? What was so different about footie before the war that the stats don't count? Was it only played for 60 minutes or something?
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2007 03:06:35 pm
      Well done Pepe lad!! proud record to achieve, especially with beating clem, bruce & the flying pig.  I also agree having a solid back four which ever permutation used, a big pat on the back to them aswell:- sami, carra, agger, finn, riise, aurelio, arbeloa. 
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2007 06:22:11 pm
      Pure class Pepe,proved all the doubters wrong.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #10: Apr 26, 2007 06:31:56 pm
      Man of the Match last night imo
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: Reina's clean sheet record. now x 2
      Reply #11: Oct 01, 2007 07:25:32 pm
      Link : http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_2772445,00.html

Jose Reina has hailed Liverpool's remarkable defensive solidity following the club's record equalling start to the season.

Reina's clean sheet against Wigan at the weekend equalled a 30-year-old club record for the best defensive start to a season.
      Only two penalty kicks have found their way past the Spanish international in the opening seven games, levelling a feat set in 1977.
      Rather than take all the plaudits, the Reds shot-stopper praised the team effort that has gone into keeping things tight at the back.
      "We are very proud of that record, but we all defend together so it's everyone's record," Reina said.
      "We have only conceded from penalties so far, which is important. It is something we can be proud of but we must keep working in that way."

Rafa Benitez's back-line has had to deal with much rotation due to injury, and Reina praised the manner in which players have filled their respective roles.
      "The defence has changed a lot as well as the other departments of the team," he added.
      "Steve Finnan and (Alvaro) Arbeloa have played on the right, (John Arne) Riise, Arbeloa and (Fabio) Aurelio on the left, with Daniel Agger and Sami Hyypia in the centre.
      "All of the players in our squad are good enough to play at the same level and that's important for us."

Yet another reason to state that we have not only the best keeper in the Prem, but arguably the best keeper in Europe.
      He commands his defence well, stands big in the net and produces brilliant saves / performances.
      He also is a very level headed bloke, stating that his awards are a team effort.
      Well played Pepe mate.
      Top bloke
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 01, 2007 07:50:33 pm
      Also while I think about it, why are stats always 'post war'? What was so different about footie before the war that the stats don't count? Was it only played for 60 minutes or something?

Two reasons essentially, EddieC, the second coming from the first.

A lot of old records pre-WWII (of all kinds) were simply lost due to the war, not just because of bomb or fire damage, but with the whole country being involved, people didn't keep them, or they got stored away and misplaced, and all sorts of silly things. Don't forget, we are talking about paper records.

Consequently, with so much information being lost, and with the passage of time, it became simpler to not refer to the pre-war period, as post-war records were more complete and available. It was a problem not confined to football.

As for Pepe, well done son! And yes, the defence certainly deserves its share of the plaudits. He's also young enough to be around for some time to come.

Now if we can get him to stop flapping at some of those high balls in, we'd have the complete goalkeeper who'd have even fewer scored against him!
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2007 04:12:54 pm

Also the fact that ENGLAND'S BEST FRIGGIN DEFENDER is in front of him has something to do with it.

Well done Reina (and Carra)

Jabba,
      remember, its a team sport champ, and the whole team contributes to the other team not scorring....from the strikers applying pressure on the opposition defence when they work the ball out, our midfielders holding up and closing down their attacks....and offcourse, in our defence, its not just carra....thank danny agger, stevie finnan, sammy hyppia and alvaro arbeloa...and offcourse, the best goalkeeper in the EPL, and in my opinion the best in the world, our very own Pepe Reine!!!

YNWA
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #14: Oct 02, 2007 09:48:42 pm
      Jabba,
      remember, its a team sport champ, and the whole team contributes to the other team not scorring....from the strikers applying pressure on the opposition defence when they work the ball out, our midfielders holding up and closing down their attacks....and offcourse, in our defence, its not just carra....thank danny agger, stevie finnan, sammy hyppia and alvaro arbeloa...and offcourse, the best goalkeeper in the EPL, and in my opinion the best in the world, our very own Pepe Reine!!!

YNWA

Agreed.Well said and here's a positive mark from me
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #15: Oct 03, 2007 09:11:50 am
      Congrates, for breaking yet another record, and long may it continue! ;)

Top Keeper!
      Top Defence!

TOP TEAM!
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 03, 2007 11:28:49 am
      Very impressive record when you think about it, but like it's been said in this forum, it is a team effort, now if we could just score goals we would be well away.

Quick Reply