Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Malaysian Reds to boycott national papers

Read 6666 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Malaysian Reds to boycott national papers
      Feb 28, 2012 11:57:39 pm
      I don't know if this deserves its own thread but thought I'd share it.

Alot of Malaysian Liverpool fans are unhappy with the disrespectful mocking of Liverpool that was published in the national newspaper, the Star, recently.

"they wish" under the headlines.

They have even gone as far as creating an online petition "Say NO to the Star", sending messages via Twiiter and even sending emails to the editors of the Star to voice out their opinions.

Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/groups/316024358447341/316517485064695/?notif_t=group_activity
      Petition - http://www.thepetitionsite.com/36/say-no-to-the-star/

I've joined the group and signed the petition and it would be nice if LFCreds can do their part for their other Reds friends. Send them to your friends as well!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • JĆ¼rgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Re: Malaysian Reds to boycott national papers
      Reply #1: Feb 29, 2012 12:49:10 am
      Not able to sign up. Probably just me....but good cause anyway.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2: Feb 29, 2012 01:00:43 am
      i'm assuming it's another paper under the murdoch empire? the star sounds like it goes hand in hand with the sun. what people should be realising is that the lot of them are all under the same umbrella, boycott the lot, they are all rags of sh*t that have this vendetta against us!!
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #3: Mar 01, 2012 09:56:32 am
      What's all this about then? I don't really understand what you mean? What is bad about what has been written? Looks like a decent picture showing us off in style to me  ???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2012 03:25:40 pm
      What's all this about then? I don't really understand what you mean? What is bad about what has been written? Looks like a decent picture showing us off in style to me  ???

The "They Wish" part, look again it's looks a bit of a cheap shot.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2012 04:13:57 pm
      Yeah Ad. Most of our local newspaper still quoted the s**trag as one of their main sources for our news.
      Here, if you want to enjoy a quiet night of ol' Liverpool action, believe me it could be quite a hard venue to find. Most watched that s**t team. In fact even it's clearly a place for us Liverpool fans, there's still some of those f**kers were there mocking us but being professional and calm, us the Liverpool fans never counter reacted and stay calm.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 01, 2012 04:36:06 pm
      The "They Wish" part, look again it's looks a bit of a cheap shot.

I just see it as them meaning the crowds are going mad for us & the lads can't get down to the pitch to celebrate as quick as they would like - you can clearly see the lads arnt bothered. Beaming  ;D

I suppose it could be seen as the fans making a nuisence, is that what they mean? If so, then yeah its a sly dig and not on.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #7: Mar 01, 2012 09:07:25 pm

Most Malaysians just didn't think the "they wish" part was a smart move to do because we feel mocked and IMO, disrespectful.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 02, 2012 03:32:17 pm
      Dont know if its just me, but i think that boycotting absolutely any paper/journalist etc that insults us is overkill, boycotts should be used as a weapon for the proper cu*ts of this world, the sun, hicks and gillett, rupert murdoch and by using boycotts against anyone, well its just going to water down the impact a boycott should have in my opinion
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2012 03:53:56 pm
      Since the Suarez saga, all of our local Malaysian newspapers only showed th ugly part of Liverpool eventhough it was clear that the verdict was a biased and unprofessionally conducted. They only took what the mainstream English media had written, S*n and other and never did they quoted anything from any other sources than that. During the case, I never did read the sport section because I knew what they've written was purely direct from the s**t journos.

We just want them to clarify what the hell they wish meant. If it was pure mockery or any kind of insult, than they have truly violated the true ethics of professional journalism.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: Mar 02, 2012 07:40:43 pm
      Sounds like they just take their cues from the multitude of shitrags that exist in England. The problem is here!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Reply #11: Mar 02, 2012 08:59:34 pm
      Signed. Can honestly say that I have'nt bought a paper since reading the bile the sh**rag came out with over Hillsborough.
      IMO all the press skirted around it, but only the s** did it because they could. They thought ( and still do ) that they are above the law.
      As far as the Star and Mirror are concerned, they've always been lapdogs to manc clubs, and that snide comment just proves it. >:(
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #12: Mar 03, 2012 09:19:06 am
      Red pride rising
      OUR days ago, Starsport carried a heading titled ā€œMake Way for the Reds (They wish)ā€ in its back page.
      And guess what? We received phone calls and emails from irate Kop fans condemning us for ā€œbelittlingā€ Liverpoolā€™s achievements and ā€œinsultingā€ an institution revered throughout the world because of those two words in parentheses.
      Now hang on a second, all you Kop.

I am a staunch and devout Liverpool fan myself ā€“ have been since 1972 and always will be. Thatā€™s why I am Red2TheCore.
      So, believe me when I say that those two words were never meant to insult or belittle Liverpool in any way.
      It was put there to temper my fellow Redsā€™ expectations after our League Cup win over Cardiff City. A tongue-in-cheek reality check.
      If only we were so passionate about the injustices in society and life. This is sports. It is meant to be fun. It is meant to encourage friendly rivalry, banter and opposing views. Not shut off dissent or open debate. Thatā€™s not sports. Thatā€™s intolerance so unbecoming of true Kop fans.

Such emotional and irrational reaction is sad indeed. Thankfully, it was only a small faction of the glorious legion of Liverpool fans.
      Yes, we won the League Cup for a record eighth time on Sunday. It was our first trophy in six years. Thatā€™s a long time for any Liverpool fan used to the glory days of the 70s and 80s.
      So cheers to that and enjoy the moment.
      But letā€™s face some home truths as I reel out the facts the Rafa Benitez way.
      Fact No. 1: Itā€™s just the League Cup ā€“ not the EPL or Champions League crown. Heck, itā€™s not even the FA Cup.
      Fact No. 2: We very nearly lost to a Championship (Second Division) side, for heavenā€™s sake!
      Full credit to Cardiff City, who played well, showed plenty of heart and gave it a real go.
      They held Liverpool, of Premier League pedigree, to a 2-2 draw after extra-time, forcing the match to be decided on penalties (which we thankfully won 3-2).
      Fact No. 3: We played poorly. For a club with Premier League and Champions League ambitions, we were pathetic (except for the early stages of the first half). And we had five players worth a total of more than Ā£100mil on show ā€“ Andy Carroll (a club record Ā£35mil), Stuart Downing (Ā£20mil), Jordan Henderson (Ā£20mil), Charlie Adam (Ā£8mil) and Luis Suarez (Ā£25mil).
      And what did we get from them?
      Carroll battled hard and ā€¦ thatā€™s about it. Henderson was a sheer waste of money. Adam was a mere passenger. Suarez was mediocre on the night. Only Downing came anywhere close to justifying his big-money transfer.
      Fact No. 4: We are definitely not ready to fight for a top four finish ā€“ let alone the Premier League title. Not based on the performance against Cardiff.
      Fact No. 5: We are still a long way from being the finished product. We still need to purge some deadwood from the team and bring in some real quality signings.
      Fact No. 6: We need to beat the lower rung teams with the kind of efficiency and ruthlessness that the Liverpool of old did back in the good old days.
      Itā€™s one thing beating the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur but what is the point if we then go out and lose to (no disrespect guys) Norwich, Stoke, Bolton and the like.
      Can Liverpool fans look me in the eye and say that the team are on the verge of greatness? We are, at best, a team in transition.
      There is no need to lose our perspective, composure, dignity or sense of humour.
      http://football.thestar.com.my/2012/03/03/red-pride-rising/

And guess the reactions after his thoughts was printed on paper?

1.Bev TJoeman: The more I read the more disgusted I get!!! He's belittling our responses & heart felt pride in our team!! Tag LFCtv unto this   rag.. Let them know of so-called Red Mano's take on LFC and on the Red Fans!!

2.Azri 'Ace' Abdullah Paljeet :you read it the way you want to ... I read it as an arrogant 'fan' trying to justify what was written by his idiotic colleagues ... with no remorse , disrespecting the club and it's fans ... even to the point of dismissing us for voicing out our displeasure ... if these idiots think they can just write anything just cause they're so-called 'journalists' and there are no consequences ...
      It's time to show that they do not screw with Liverpool FC and it's fans ... !!

3.Surin Jesuthasan:Hey Mano if you are really red to the core, what do the lyrics of You'll Never Walk Alone say? It is about standing by each other through thick or thin. We should encourage our team and support them.

Can you imagine what it would have been if every Liverpool fan at Istanbul on that faithful night was to think like you and just slagged off the team at half time for being 3-0 down. It was the support and loud singing of YNWA that boosted the teams confidence which led them to win their 5th European cup & their 8th European honours.

I as a hardcore Kopite since 1978, when I was a wee lad of 8 years, observe a sublime performance that demolished a hugely talented Spurs team 7-0. Naturally at that age, I decided that this was the team I was going to support.

34 years have past and I have gone through so much joy and pain. I have cried tears of joy and pure sadness. I have witnessed tragedies being associated to Liverpool FC along with glory as well. Yes, there were times, I would curse and yell when the team makes silly mistakes but never have I slagged them off or disrespected them in public. More so when they have achieved something.

Think about this, since our last title in 1990, what is the worst LFC has done? It has been frustrating, but do we dump them and slag them off till they win the League title? I would hate to think if you have children and when they do not perform to your expectations that you would berate them in public. Rather than encourage them to do better.

4.Shaun Ooi : I just feel journalist should not generalise with the rest of the fans their opinion. i was truly and well happy with the Carling Cup "thriller". I was happy with Istanbul and the FA Cup win that were both equally dramatic and comebacks of the century. So, if he expects an easier win then where's the fun in that? I always feel winning and losing in football is part of the game, the thing you can't buy is excitement, suspense, fear, anxiety, elation and the joy of knowing your team fought hard or made to fight hard for the win. it's what cups are made of. So if Mano does not understand that, then he should be a plastic waving fan because then any money team would give u a good time (he wish). and I put the brackets in with no sarcasm.

And the best part is they did actually e-mailed Stan Chart about this matter and did get the response.
      Response from Standard Chartered:
      Thanks for your comments about headline in The Star. We will of course let the paper know that weā€™ve received this feedback and weā€™re sure they will take it on board. Ultimately though we shouldnā€™t let this detract from what was a fantastic result for the Reds with more to come in the FA Cup hopefully!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #13: Mar 03, 2012 10:37:01 am

Translation:

Red Power unites the fans.

The classical You'll Never Walk Alone has always been associated with Liverpool whenever they're in action. For them, the lyrics were too poetic and has solidified the fans across the globe.

Eventhough it has been 22 years since the last league title won, the promise that you'll never walk alone through the rain or pain making the fans growing in volume. Liverpool was too immersed in past glories as opposing fans has always mocked them especially the Man utd fans plus it has been 6 years since their last trophy until they beat Cardiff in a thriller last week. The 3-2 win was not just a plain simple win. League Cup may be just a 'small' winning, but it's a sign of a great Red rising and a new legacy for the legend King Kenny.

Whatever the sarcasm thrown, the YNWA power has always been the uniting factor. For them, they are not the plastic fans. Opposing fans were not just jealous of the great history of liverpool, but envy the loyalty of the fans, the passion of majority eventhough trophies eluded them. So, what made the club so special? First was the great history and second the YNWA spirit.

Most of the Liverpool fans grew up during the 60s', 70's, 80's and 90's. they grew up knowing the likes of Dalglish, Barnes, Hansen, Sammy Lee, McMahon and Ian Rush. For the newer generations Owen, Gerrard, Torres and Suarez to name a few. For one of the fans, Sharimie Othman,31, she's a Liverpool encyclopedia. She has a great knowledge of Liverpool, and even can discuss several  football formations.

"I fall in love with Liverpool because they are a humble club basked in great glory. When I was 15, there were2 great clubs Liverpool and Man Utd. Both of my brothers are a Man Utd fans but I was not really into them because of their sheer arrogance. I came to know the club when seeing Steven Gerrard scored his first goal against Wednesday, it was an absolute beauty,' she said who is also a member of Ultras Liverpool Malaysia.

For another die hard Liverpool fan from Sarawak, Norhayati alli,43, she chose Liverpool because this was the only club to be known during her teen years. "Liverpool was the only team appeared in every magazine."

Norsuziyannie mat Noor,27, said she was too little to know about Ian Rush magic or Dalglish, but she's attracted to the great history of the club. The club has won 18 league titles, 7 FA's, 8 league cup, 3 UEFA cups, 5 CL, 1 super league cup. They got many talented players and great managers as she said. Eventhough as she also said almost every family members supported the Reds but it was not something inherited. Her father is an Arsenal fan, the eldest sister is a Man utd fan, they never encouraged her to support Liverpool. her sister, admitted during the early days, their eldest sister always trying to persuade them to support Man Utd.
      "During that days, we were too small to know every thing so we just followed but when growing up and get to know more about football I was more attracted to Liverpool. Their history and the humble fans won me over."

Rajes Paul said that her mother of 68 is a fanatical Liverpool fan and even could stayed up at wee hours just to watch Liverpool play.

The rest you can just read Utusan Malaysia if you're in Malaysia but this is some of what the whole story's about.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #14: Mar 03, 2012 11:26:00 am
      Red pride rising
      OUR days ago, Starsport carried a heading titled ā€œMake Way for the Reds (They wish)ā€ in its back page.
      And guess what? We received phone calls and emails from irate Kop fans condemning us for ā€œbelittlingā€ Liverpoolā€™s achievements and ā€œinsultingā€ an institution revered throughout the world because of those two words in parentheses.
      Now hang on a second, all you Kop.

I am a staunch and devout Liverpool fan myself ā€“ have been since 1972 and always will be. Thatā€™s why I am Red2TheCore.
      So, believe me when I say that those two words were never meant to insult or belittle Liverpool in any way.
      It was put there to temper my fellow Redsā€™ expectations after our League Cup win over Cardiff City. A tongue-in-cheek reality check.
      If only we were so passionate about the injustices in society and life. This is sports. It is meant to be fun. It is meant to encourage friendly rivalry, banter and opposing views. Not shut off dissent or open debate. Thatā€™s not sports. Thatā€™s intolerance so unbecoming of true Kop fans.

Such emotional and irrational reaction is sad indeed. Thankfully, it was only a small faction of the glorious legion of Liverpool fans.
      Yes, we won the League Cup for a record eighth time on Sunday. It was our first trophy in six years. Thatā€™s a long time for any Liverpool fan used to the glory days of the 70s and 80s.
      So cheers to that and enjoy the moment.
      But letā€™s face some home truths as I reel out the facts the Rafa Benitez way.
      Fact No. 1: Itā€™s just the League Cup ā€“ not the EPL or Champions League crown. Heck, itā€™s not even the FA Cup.
      Fact No. 2: We very nearly lost to a Championship (Second Division) side, for heavenā€™s sake!
      Full credit to Cardiff City, who played well, showed plenty of heart and gave it a real go.
      They held Liverpool, of Premier League pedigree, to a 2-2 draw after extra-time, forcing the match to be decided on penalties (which we thankfully won 3-2).
      Fact No. 3: We played poorly. For a club with Premier League and Champions League ambitions, we were pathetic (except for the early stages of the first half). And we had five players worth a total of more than Ā£100mil on show ā€“ Andy Carroll (a club record Ā£35mil), Stuart Downing (Ā£20mil), Jordan Henderson (Ā£20mil), Charlie Adam (Ā£8mil) and Luis Suarez (Ā£25mil).
      And what did we get from them?
      Carroll battled hard and ā€¦ thatā€™s about it. Henderson was a sheer waste of money. Adam was a mere passenger. Suarez was mediocre on the night. Only Downing came anywhere close to justifying his big-money transfer.
      Fact No. 4: We are definitely not ready to fight for a top four finish ā€“ let alone the Premier League title. Not based on the performance against Cardiff.
      Fact No. 5: We are still a long way from being the finished product. We still need to purge some deadwood from the team and bring in some real quality signings.
      Fact No. 6: We need to beat the lower rung teams with the kind of efficiency and ruthlessness that the Liverpool of old did back in the good old days.
      Itā€™s one thing beating the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur but what is the point if we then go out and lose to (no disrespect guys) Norwich, Stoke, Bolton and the like.
      Can Liverpool fans look me in the eye and say that the team are on the verge of greatness? We are, at best, a team in transition.
      There is no need to lose our perspective, composure, dignity or sense of humour.
      http://football.thestar.com.my/2012/03/03/red-pride-rising/

Don't know about boycotting a newspaper over a headline like that, bit over the top IMO. Best boycotting them all, since it's seems ever over there, the papers are as sh*te as in England! ;)

But for a so-called Liverpool supporter, his "support" in the article by belittling our club and it's achievements sound more like a F***ing Manc!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #15: Mar 03, 2012 02:04:02 pm
      Does Star Malaysia ever wonder why their sales have been declining, they have the sports editor to thank for. Haven't been buying that s**t paper since ages ago due to their bias reporting on us. I'm sure that s**t fellow that put up that picture is going to be a marked man this very moment. He has underestimated the level of support for LFC in Malaysia, time for him to find out the hard way and pack his bags.
      redstuart1971
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 03, 2012 03:38:32 pm
      i realy dislike newspapers and their bullshit
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #17: Mar 03, 2012 03:39:59 pm

Pathetic piece written by a man who claims to be a fan since 1972. Look at fact one.

For a man who was around during the times of Shanks, Bob and Kenny, I'm surprise he doesn't have the same view of football.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #18: Mar 04, 2012 08:12:31 am
      There is no F***ing way 'red2thecore' can be a true liverpool supporter. Hes a disgrace to TRUE supporters.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #19: Mar 04, 2012 01:21:03 pm
      He's a c**t for just calling himself red2thecore.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #20: Mar 04, 2012 03:00:21 pm
      While boycotting may seem over the top, I didn't think adding the last "they wish" sentence was necessary or even a smart thing to do.

The writer says it's all about to get a reaction from fans that we're still in dreamland (or something like that) and to also have friendly banter between others.

I mean, it wasn't necessary. We're Liverpool FC and any trophy, scousers know how to party. And we care first and foremost about our club, not freaking start banters with others.

red2thecore .. sure .. Manc Red!
      Bier
      Reply #21: Mar 04, 2012 03:16:11 pm
      You'd think with our history with the media we'd stop caring about what the media says about us. Mostly though it seems to me that for every small thing these days supporters want to start boycotting and start petitions etc. While when it comes to protesting anything it's all about quality over quantity, concentrate on the things that actually matter. Protests like these only devaluate more serious protests.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #22: Mar 04, 2012 03:40:07 pm
      You'd think with our history with the media we'd stop caring about what the media says about us. Mostly though it seems to me that for every small thing these days supporters want to start boycotting and start petitions etc. While when it comes to protesting anything it's all about quality over quantity, concentrate on the things that actually matter. Protests like these only devaluate more serious protests.
                                       ^                                        ^                              ^                                       ^

My sentiments exactly.  As much as the article takes liberties against my Club, Its not an issue worth boycotting or even petitioning.  Its an article in the sports section. Its not disrespectful or cruel and honestly I actually agree with some of the points raised in the article.

We need to stop acting like over sensitive pussies.... I dont give a sh*t about a paper being critical about the team or the way it performs. Thats what sports reporters do, sometimes I agree sometimes I dont. 

But If we just randomly make an issue over every little thing It takes away from the power of the real Issues.

Quick Reply