Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Pepe Reina's Racial Controversy

Read 8751 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Pepe Reina's Racial Controversy
      Mar 01, 2012 02:13:02 pm
      Reina embroiled in race row over ad

A Spanish TV commercial featuring Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has been taken off air following complaints the advertisement was racist and homophobic.

Pepe Reina will not return to Spain to play for Atletico Madrid should David de Gea move on
      GettyImagesJose Reina has 24 international caps for Spain

Reina, whose surname means 'queen' in Spanish, was shown being introduced to a tribal chief who chooses him as his partner in the advert. British campaign group Operation Black Vote complained to Spanish insurance firm Groupama Seguros that one advert from a series featuring Reina "depicts black people in a jungle scenario as stupid, backward, animalistic homosexuals."

Groupama, however, have also said they do not believe it "contains either offensive nor any discriminatory content", according to the campaigners.

"I'm shocked on so many levels," OBV director Simon Woolley said. "Firstly, how would the Spanish feel if the English stereotyped Spanish people as backward, stupid, and animalistic homosexuals?

"Secondly, what does this say about Pepe Reina? The Liverpool goalkeeper has lived and worked in the UK for nearly a decade, does he think it's okay characterise black people this way? Does he think his black team-mates will laugh at his joke?"

Reina, 29, joined Liverpool from Villarreal in 2005 and is one of their most important players.

Liverpool have already been involved in one race storm this season after striker Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches for abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

I haven't seen this video, but F**k me do the Manc loving media just love having a go at us or what?!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1029101/liverpool-goalkeeper-jose-reina-embroiled-in-race-row-over-ad?cc=5901
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Pepe Reina's Racial Controversy
      Reply #1: Mar 01, 2012 02:19:00 pm
      The Video is all over this forum mate - it's F**k all.

Personally I'd prefer if the whole thing was ignored...  just like the sh*t-stirring racists who complained about the Ad.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Mar 01, 2012 02:31:44 pm

Me? :laugh:

The media has nothing else to do and whenever there's an incident or an advertisement concerning a Liverpool player, they are quick to come out and condemn the club but refuse to look at things like Suarez spending time in Africa with the children before the World Cup.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the advert at all. It's funny.

If Reina starring in an advert where there was a gay joke and black people in a jungle makes him racist ..

Wonder how those nations felt when Ferguson stereotyped Uruguayians and Germans with his comments on Uruguay and "typical Germans" remark.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #3: Mar 01, 2012 02:49:09 pm
      So F***ing stupid this, yeah, yeah we know, we are the racist team, now can you just F**k off.

I mean seriously, did Pepe write the damn script or directed that ad? Just F**k off.

Rant over.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2012 02:49:24 pm
      It takes very 'special' people to find offence where none is intended.  Stereotypes are funny, a lot of jokes are based on them, ask Taff the sheep shagger, Jock 'Not my Round' Scotsman and that random drunk Irishman, they'll tell you the same. 

Now excuse me while I remove my bowler hat and go get a cup of tea, after all this is a crisis and I need a cup of tea.
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2012 02:54:24 pm
      Groupama, however, have also said they do not believe it "contains either offensive nor any discriminatory content", according to the campaigners.

This is what irritates the piss out of me!  How can something be racist, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, etc when it contains no offensive or discriminatory content?!  It doesn't surprise me at all that this has happened immediately following our win in the Carling Cup....
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 01, 2012 02:56:20 pm

I mean seriously, did Pepe write the damn script or directed that ad? Just f**k off.

He didnt, but he did star in it. I don't see much wrong with it at all, however it is open to get used to fuel fires, the timing isnt great.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #7: Mar 01, 2012 03:05:32 pm
      If anyone fancies contacting the group who made all this fuss over nothing to tell them to piss off:

Operation Black Vote

Tel : 020 8983 5430/5426
      Fax : 020 8983 5492
      Email: info @obv.org.uk

You wouldn't be allowed to found a group called Operation White Vote would you...  :roll:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Mar 01, 2012 03:12:06 pm
      It takes very 'special' people to find offence where none is intended.  Stereotypes are funny, a lot of jokes are based on them, ask Taff the sheep shagger, Jock 'Not my Round' Scotsman and that random drunk Irishman, they'll tell you the same. 

Now excuse me while I remove my bowler hat and go get a cup of tea, after all this is a crisis and I need a cup of tea.

I see I've been mentioned.
      As an expert I'd like to approve of stereotypical humour.
      Nearly that time of the year again when that age old stereotype becomes everyone's favouite...

and on that note

F**k off you intolerant agenda driven cu*ts.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Mar 01, 2012 03:17:34 pm
      Pepe Reina will not return to Spain to play for Atletico Madrid should David de Gea move on

Written when De Gea was still playing in Spain.

Old 'news'. Ingnore. Move on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #10: Mar 01, 2012 03:22:35 pm
      During the Suarez saga we were told that it was irrelevant that his words would not be viewed as being offensive or racist in his own country - the important thing, we were told, was that it took place in this country and IN THIS COUNTRY they could be deemed as being racist.

So lets use that same arguement here. The ad was probably filmed in Spain, and was certainly meant for consumption in Spain, and IN SPAIN it wouldn't deemed to be a racist advert. Therefore - it isn't.

F**k Off Operation Black Vote!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Mar 01, 2012 03:23:42 pm

Don't forget the thieving, scrounging, scally Scouser mate - thick skin essential.
      Are these people for real?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Mar 01, 2012 03:59:25 pm
      Reina embroiled in race row over ad

A Spanish TV commercial featuring Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has been taken off air following complaints the advertisement was racist and homophobic.

Reina, whose surname means 'queen' in Spanish, was shown being introduced to a tribal chief who chooses him as his partner in the advert. British campaign group Operation Black Vote complained to Spanish insurance firm Groupama Seguros that one advert from a series featuring Reina "depicts black people in a jungle scenario as stupid, backward, animalistic homosexuals."

"I'm shocked on so many levels," OBV director Simon Woolley said. "Firstly, how would the Spanish feel if the English stereotyped Spanish people as backward, stupid, and animalistic homosexuals?

Liverpool have already been involved in one race storm this season after striker Luis Suarez was banned for eight matches for abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

I haven't seen this video, but F**k me do the Manc loving media just love having a go at us or what?!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1029101/liverpool-goalkeeper-jose-reina-embroiled-in-race-row-over-ad?cc=5901
      Once again we have a carbon copy incident of that which resulted in Luis being disciplined and make no mistake it is once again a case of hysterical reaction from people with too much time on their hands.
      Do these soft bas**rds have any idea about the real meaning of the word persecution?
      If it is of such importance to them that they have to distort a culture to fashion the term offence from it why don't they get off their arses and put their energies into helping the thousands of black children suffering the rigours of ethnic cleansing or some other worthy cause?
      The answer is they are shitheads with an agenda that is only accessable to those who have mastered the contortion of getting your head some distance up your own arse.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #13: Mar 01, 2012 04:07:42 pm
      F**k right off sick and tired of this sort of thing now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Mar 01, 2012 04:26:53 pm
      Simon Woolley said. "Firstly, how would the Spanish feel if the English stereotyped Spanish people as backward, stupid, and animalistic homosexuals?

What's wrong with being either stupid, backward or homosexual Simon? Sounds like you are being a bit intolerant towards people like that Mr. Woolley. In fact it sounds, to me, that you are a very intolerant man all round.

Maybe if you spent a bit of time in the Congo helping the kids who suffer at the hands of kindoki you'd be a bit more tolerant of others. There are many things wrong in this world and this society - the Advert ain't one of them.

Time to set your sh*t-stirring, conflict-seeking, agenda aside Mr Woolley and go looking for some real problems to solve. Dick.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 01, 2012 04:31:40 pm
      During the Suarez saga we were told that it was irrelevant that his words would not be viewed as being offensive or racist in his own country - the important thing, we were told, was that it took place in this country and IN THIS COUNTRY they could be deemed as being racist.

So lets use that same arguement here. The ad was probably filmed in Spain, and was certainly meant for consumption in Spain, and IN SPAIN it wouldn't deemed to be a racist advert. Therefore - it isn't.

F**k Off Operation Black Vote!!

Great post  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #16: Mar 01, 2012 04:33:58 pm
      Simon Woolley said. "Firstly, how would the Spanish feel if the English stereotyped Spanish people as backward, stupid, and animalistic homosexuals?

What's wrong with being either stupid, backward or homosexual Simon? Sounds like you are being a bit intolerant towards people like that Mr. Woolley. In fact it sounds, to me, that you are a very intolerant man all round.

Maybe if you spent a bit of time in the Congo helping the kids who suffer at the hands of kindoki you'd be a bit more tolerant of others. There are many things wrong in this world and this society - the Advert ain't one of them.

Time to set your sh*t-stirring, conflict-seeking, agenda aside Mr Woolley and go looking for some real problems to solve. Dick.

And it's not like the English have ever stereotyped the Spanish?

Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #17: Mar 01, 2012 05:38:08 pm
      More bullshit!

Don't these assholes realise that playing the race card at every insignificant thing they can, is actually causing more intolerance and anger, rather than reducing it.  :mad:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #18: Mar 01, 2012 06:07:45 pm
      More bullshit!

Don't these assholes realise that playing the race card at every insignificant thing they can, is actually causing more intolerance and anger, rather than reducing it.  :mad:
      Nail and head spring to mind Dave.
      Idiots of the first order.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #19: Mar 01, 2012 07:02:44 pm
      Clearly not racist. The title should be changed to "Media dream up new slurs to level at LFC".
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #20: Mar 01, 2012 07:12:39 pm

You wouldn't be allowed to found a group called Operation White Vote would you...  :roll:

I was thinking the same thing mate.
       For those who haven't seen the advert here it is

Anuncio Groupama me siento seguro pepe reina

I'm willing to bet that nothing would have been mentioned if it was a player from any other team than LFC.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #21: Mar 01, 2012 07:22:06 pm
      Why don"t they have a go at the black guys who took part in the ad .ffs they don"t mind being part of it do they.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #22: Mar 01, 2012 07:35:42 pm
      Has nothing to do with being black. Reina means queen in Spanish, he's introduced to the king as "queen" hence the "hilarious" misunderstanding. Not funny. Not racist.

BTW the song at the end is "I'm sure of my life", it's the catchphrase of the insurance company it advertises... Again not racist.

They do this video with the Queen of England is it racist? Nope. A "misunderstanding" comedy. Truely flabbergasted as to how they can deem this racist.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #23: Mar 01, 2012 07:38:22 pm
      The issue isnt about 'Racism".  Its the current trend of picking and choosing what is "Racist" and having someone else make the clarification for you.   Their are hundreds of instances where commercials, songs, movies, tv shows, videos etc..poke fun at Whites, Spanish, Italians, Irish, French, Brazilians, Africans, Asian's, Chinese, Japanese.... 

Its these small, civic groups who are trying to use it as free publicity without realizing that its ruining someones career or life.  If its a real issue for them, then they need to do it right and pay the money for a commercial or AD in a newspaper voicing their concerns.  But they dont.  Where was the OBV before this happened?  How much money had they spent in their fight to educate and end racism?  How many times did they publicly attack a Black Player.  Where were they when Evra called Chelsea players ā€œmotherf***ing n***ersā€.  As soon as I read about the steps they took against Evra, who said it on CAMERA, I will then be more willing to listen. Until then, I refuse to hold any credence to hypocrite's.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Mar 01, 2012 07:47:11 pm
      Once again we have a carbon copy incident of that which resulted in Luis being disciplined and make no mistake it is once again a case of hysterical reaction from people with too much time on their hands.
      Do these soft bas**rds have any idea about the real meaning of the word persecution?
      If it is of such importance to them that they have to distort a culture to fashion the term offence from it why don't they get off their arses and put their energies into helping the thousands of black children suffering the rigours of ethnic cleansing or some other worthy cause?
      The answer is they are shitheads with an agenda that is only accessable to those who have mastered the contortion of getting your head some distance up your own arse.

Another Classic  Stu.
      I applaud you Sir.

;D

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #25: Mar 01, 2012 07:57:11 pm
      Has nothing to do with being black. Reina means queen in Spanish, he's introduced to the king as "queen" hence the "hilarious" misunderstanding. Not funny. Not racist.

BTW the song at the end is "I'm sure of my life", it's the catchphrase of the insurance company it advertises... Again not racist.

They do this video with the Queen of England is it racist? Nope. A "misunderstanding" comedy. Truely flabbergasted as to how they can deem this racist.
      So it"s homophobic then.Reina doesn"t want to take it up the Khyber, how dare he not be gay.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Mar 01, 2012 11:07:05 pm

I find that statement a bit rich, the English seeking racial gratification after colonising, raping and sodomising hundreads of thousand blacks for decades.

F**k off and get a life!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Mar 01, 2012 11:13:58 pm
      I find that statement a bit rich, the English seeking racial gratification after colonising, raping and sodomising hundreads of thousand blacks for decades.

I've not sodomised any black people, done one or two white birds though.

Am I racist or should I seek to sodomise a black womam to justify my position ? ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #28: Mar 01, 2012 11:14:15 pm
      My thoughts on this topic in image-based form.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #29: Mar 01, 2012 11:16:46 pm

I've not sodomised any black people, done one or two white birds though.

Am I racist or should I seek to sodomise a black womam to justify my position ? ;D

You are in enough trouble allready mate!

:)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #30: Mar 01, 2012 11:30:46 pm
      Dear oh dear oh dear.

Topic Locked.

Quick Reply