Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Comolli: No massive transfer deals this summer

Read 14992 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Comolli: No massive transfer deals this summer
      Reply #115: Mar 12, 2012 11:58:10 am
      The quality of our signings in the summer will determine if we get champions league next season because if we are largely relying on this team again think we will be a long way off again.  It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Fsg and Comoli end of season meeting when Comoli tries to explain the dismal showing in the league and the awful performance off most of the signings. Think this summer will tell us how much Fsg want it.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #116: Mar 12, 2012 12:13:25 pm
      The three stars at Athletic Bilbao who tore Utd to shreds would be worth our entire transfer kitty. Sell a few of our duds as well and we could probably afford them.

Thats like us letting Gerrard Pepe and Suarez go in one window.. ;D..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #117: Mar 12, 2012 12:15:12 pm
      On a personal level this is the first time any doubts about our owners credibility has surfaced. They declared that the brand would compete on a level playing field with top clubs in the Prem and monies would be forthcoming to enable this situation to be realised.
      To say nothing of maintaining the image of a good business model with the associated investment involved.
      Dare I say it but John Henry's optimistic statements are anything but mirrored by Comolli.   
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #118: Mar 12, 2012 12:16:45 pm
      The three of them would cost about 120million euro do people think Fsg are going to provide a budget that big.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #119: Mar 12, 2012 12:27:47 pm
      Just a quick thought over the squad and how many potential deals are actually needed, because I'd rather go for quality over quantity no matter what they cost.. As you don't have to pay a fortune if the right players are brought in.

The squad.

Keepers
      Reina
      Doni

No need to change there for me.

Right backs.
      Johnson
      Kelly
      Flanagan

No need to change there.

Left backs.
      Enrique
      Robinson
      Aurelio

Now Aurelio will likely leave but I don't see the need to "waste" money there as young Jack will be a year older and Glen Johnson can play there if needed.

Centre Backs.
      Jamie Carragher
      Sebastian Coates
      Martin Kelly
      Daniel Agger

Jamie is getting no younger, but has another season in him yet as part of the squad, Danny and Martin are first choice and the other two can act as cover, we don't need to jump on this one yet and it gives a year to see if Andre Wisdom will ever have it. Maybe even a run out or two in the early stages of the Europa to see.

So no money or big changes needed at the back.

Central midfield.

Jordan Henderson
      Stevie Gerrard
      Jonjo Shelvey
      Lucas
      Charlie Adam
      Jay Spearing

With the likes of Coady as well...

There I feel we need to look at bringing in one, a top quality addition.

Wide players.

Stewart Downing
      Maxi
      Dirk Kuyt
      Craig Bellamy

This still jumps out like a sore thumb.. With two of these potentially leaving and possibly the other, even though we have the possibility of Suso and Sterling coming through we still need to look to bring in at least one.

Forwards.

Luis Suarez
      Andy Carroll

Again we need another.

So for me we need to sign 3... With only really 3 current first team squad members leaving isn't what I would call "massive transfer deals" like last seasons turnaround within the squad.

You have to remember that people like Camolli won't be fully honest in interviews, that serves no purpose either way.

If we lose Dirk, Maxi and Fabio, they aren't going to add a great deal to the transfer budget.. Possibly 5 million between them.. And maybe 8-10 between Cole and Aquilani.

What I'd look at doing is bring in a central midfielder, winger and forward. Then promote Sterling and Suso as parts of the first team squad. 5 out, 5 in. Not a massive turnaround when you consider 2 are already out of the club and 2 are already part of it.
      We don't want to be ripping the entire squad apart again. All last summers signings would get another season to take this opportunity before we looked to move any out. Some players need longer to settle than others and with the addition of a couple of top signings may actually help them further.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #120: Mar 12, 2012 12:35:41 pm
      Redknapp didn't want him there at Spurs so why do we have him? 

I'm not surprised Redknapp didn't want him. The bung-taking twitchy c**t wouldn't have been able to keep on feathering his nest otherwise.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #121: Mar 12, 2012 12:36:01 pm
      The three of them would cost about 120million euro do people think Fsg are going to provide a budget that big.

Even if we do have that type of money to spend and could afford their wages, do you think any one of them would come to us without Champions League football?

Let's face it, if the likes of Martinez/Hazard/Naimar are for sale we're not going to be in the running for them, that showed last transfer window when we did have the money. We wanted Phil Jones and Ashley Young and look what happened there.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #122: Mar 12, 2012 12:39:34 pm
      Let's face it, if the likes of Martinez/Hazard/Naimar are for sale we're not going to be in the running for them, that showed last transfer window when we did have the money. We wanted Phil Jones and Ashley Young and look what happened there.

The sheep-shagging c**t Jones was always going to move to the mancs, so I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over that mongy-faced tit.

At least being back in Europe will give us a bit more pull in the market.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #123: Mar 12, 2012 12:40:05 pm

Aurelio

Now Aurelio will likely leave but I don't see the need to "waste" money there as young Jack will be a year older and Glen Johnson can play there if needed.

Centre Backs.
      Jamie Carragher
      Sebastian Coates
      Martin Kelly I presume you mean Skrtel.
      Daniel Agger

Jamie is getting no younger, but has another season in him yet as part of the squad, Danny and Martin are first choice and the other two can act as cover, we don't need to jump on this one yet and it gives a year to see if Andre Wisdom will ever have it. Maybe even a run out or two in the early stages of the Europa to see.

So no money or big changes needed at the back.

Central midfield.

Jordan Henderson
      Stevie Gerrard
      Jonjo Shelvey
      Lucas
      Charlie Adam
      Jay Spearing

With the likes of Coady as well...

There I feel we need to look at bringing in one, a top quality addition.

Wide players.

Stewart Downing
      Maxi
      Dirk Kuyt
      Craig Bellamy

This still jumps out like a sore thumb.. With two of these potentially leaving and possibly the other, even though we have the possibility of Suso and Sterling coming through we still need to look to bring in at least one.

Forwards.

Luis Suarez
      Andy Carroll

Again we need another.

So for me we need to sign 3... With only really 3 current first team squad members leaving isn't what I would call "massive transfer deals" like last seasons turnaround within the squad.

You have to remember that people like Camolli won't be fully honest in interviews, that serves no purpose either way.

If we lose Dirk, Maxi and Fabio, they aren't going to add a great deal to the transfer budget.. Possibly 5 million between them.. And maybe 8-10 between Cole and Aquilani.

What I'd look at doing is bring in a central midfielder, winger and forward. Then promote Sterling and Suso as parts of the first team squad. 5 out, 5 in. Not a massive turnaround when you consider 2 are already out of the club and 2 are already part of it.
      We don't want to be ripping the entire squad apart again. All last summers signings would get another season to take this opportunity before we looked to move any out. Some players need longer to settle than others and with the addition of a couple of top signings may actually help them further.

Apart from me being pedantic, I would definitely agree with the players need.
      4 tops.
      1 Striker.
      1 midfielder.
      1 or 2 wingers.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #124: Mar 12, 2012 12:40:16 pm
      Depends what our targets are next season.  Personally i think we need 4 top players. Do i think Fsg are willing to provide the 70 or 80 million of their own money to make this happen havent seen evidence yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #125: Mar 12, 2012 12:42:23 pm
      Apart from me being pedantic, I would definitely agree with the players need.
      4 tops.
      1 Striker.
      1 midfielder.
      1 or 2 wingers.

Summer is key..

Shake me, wake me ( when it's over)
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #126: Mar 12, 2012 12:44:04 pm
      The sheep-shagging c**t Jones was always going to move to the mancs, so I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over that mongy-faced tit.

Mongy faced tit.... good one!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #127: Mar 12, 2012 12:45:39 pm
      Depends what our targets are next season.  Personally i think we need 4 top players. Do i think Fsg are willing to provide the 70 or 80 million of their own money to make this happen havent seen evidence yet.

You don't necessarily need 80 million to do it though Corb. Good players can be found for less money. We just need the fans expectations to be realistic, if we don't sign a "Hazard" or whoever won't mean they won't work out.

If they provide 30 plus whatever we bring in from sales ( say 15 million) it could be done for 45 million if the right players are found.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #128: Mar 12, 2012 12:53:46 pm
      Junior Hoilett

Yann M'Vila

Lucas Moura

Edinson Cavani
      Ezequiel Lavezzi

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Iker Muniain
      Javi Martinez

Roll a dice and pick three or four.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #129: Mar 12, 2012 12:55:35 pm
      Some good players there. I'd certainly like Hoilett and Muniain as wide options in our squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #130: Mar 12, 2012 12:58:09 pm
      Junior Hoilett

Yann M'Vila

Lucas Moura

Edinson Cavani
      Ezequiel Lavezzi

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Iker Muniain
      Javi Martinez

Roll a dice and pick three or four.

Cavani is the player I would rather have gone for last summer, instead of spunking £35 mill on Carroll in the January.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #131: Mar 12, 2012 01:01:36 pm
      Some good players there. I'd certainly like Hoilett and Muniain as wide options in our squad.

Hoilett, Munian, Huntelaar, M'Vila.

Still rate Huntelaar and he's only got a year on his contract in the summer.
      M'Vila might give us a bit more steel in the middle.

The others.
      Probably no chance really.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #132: Mar 12, 2012 01:02:14 pm
      Cavani is the player I would rather have gone for last summer, instead of spunking £35 mill on Carroll in the January.

I think we'd all agree with that statement right now.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #133: Mar 12, 2012 01:03:40 pm
      Cavani would be class, a real statement of our intentions.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #134: Mar 12, 2012 01:04:24 pm
      Hoilett, Munian, Huntelaar, M'Vila.

Still rate Huntelaar and he's only got a year on his contract in the summer.
      M'Vila might give us a bit more steel in the middle.

The others.
      Probably no chance really.

I'd agree with that.

The first 4 would certainly add to the squad.. And improve it.

There are other options out there as well. Some good out of contract options to look at as well.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #135: Mar 12, 2012 01:09:17 pm
      Holliet is doing very well to be on that list.  He is no where near the other players mentioned. Agree though that is the level we need to be targeting.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #136: Mar 12, 2012 01:10:58 pm
      only hoillet is a realistic target.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,687 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #137: Mar 12, 2012 01:11:47 pm
      Holliet is doing very well to be on that list.  He isn't no where near the other players mentioned. Agree though that is the level we need to be targeting.

Is he not a winger?
      Do we not need a winger?
      Is he not better than some of the players we have at our disposal?

If we were to bring in two wide players in the summer, I'd certainly have no problem with him being one of them.

Quick Reply