Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Comolli: No massive transfer deals this summer

Read 14994 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Comolli: No massive transfer deals this summer
      Reply #161: Mar 13, 2012 12:19:06 pm
      Big money needs to be spend in the summer to be bridge the gap.

we don't need to spend another 100m. we need a quality striker and a right winger, that is all. we can argue about how much that might cost, a quality striker being say 35m? will that necessarily buy us a regular scorer or another caroll? we need the right players and for that we don't need to break the bank again.

as far as i'm concerned, the team has improved, massively since last year, and our lack of finishing is the only thing that has gone stale.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #162: Mar 13, 2012 12:48:32 pm
      Bellers was a case completely against the entire concept which also shows the need for flexibility.

It might go against the guidelines listed on Soccernomics, but I think Bellamy was actually one of our only signings that did make sense from a 'Moneyball' perspective. The key is to get players who are good but, for some reason or another, are undervalued in the market. And that's exactly the case with Bellers. Because of his age (off field problems and confrontation with former manager can also be cited), he came on the cheap. Otherwise, if he was younger and had a better record in terms of discipline, he could well have been out of our reach. I'd say he's kinda like our equivalent to Oakland A's David Justice.

Downing was massively overpriced as was Henderson, these are unfortunately facts based upon what we've seen this season and what many of us said upon signing these players. If Comolli is using "chances created" as his golden ticket then I'm afraid we're only likely to buy more of these type of players. Adam also appears to be a poor signing and I hope that this summer we abandon the terrible strategy of last season and go for more proven, established players who we can push on with because another summer of failed signings would be hard to take.

Thinking of Downing, another mistake I think we made and goes against the logic implied in the article was overpaying because of recent performance. He had just been nominated Aston Villa player of the year and all of a sudden, people started to change opinions about him (some just a few months old, going from overrated garbage to underrated wonder). Ashley Young has always been a superior player but for one season where he was clearly not really motivated and then he was labeled a 'MOTD player'. Hate to say 'I told you so', but I did.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #163: Mar 13, 2012 01:01:03 pm
      Thinking of Downing, another mistake I think we made and goes against the logic implied in the article was overpaying because of recent performance. He had just been nominated Aston Villa player of the year and all of a sudden, people started to change opinions about him (some just a few months old, going from overrated garbage to underrated wonder). Ashley Young has always been a superior player but for one season where he was clearly not really motivated and then he was labeled a 'MOTD player'. Hate to say 'I told you so', but I did.

To be fair we did go for Young as well mate, he just decided he wanted to go to the mancs.

No doubt Kenny only really wanted Downing if we signed Young first..... Fecking Parry :(

I think Downing is a slow burner, one that will come good once the midfield is better balanced than it is at the moment. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #164: Mar 13, 2012 01:06:44 pm
      I think Downing is a slow burner, one that will come good once the midfield is better balanced than it is at the moment. 

I hope you're right mate, I just can't see it myself. I do see him being a decent player in a 'better balanced' team, but that's just about it. Riera and Pennant also had decent spells, Pennant even was probably our best player in a UCL final. It doesn't mean they were what we needed to be a top class team, and I don't think Downing is at the level I'd be expecting.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #165: Mar 13, 2012 01:10:54 pm
      Henderson and Downing does have the HG premium in their fees, though.

I've actually always liked Downing and wanted us so sign him when Boro were relegated but it made more sense then as he was younger and a decent player. Don't know if Liverpool is a step slightly too far for him but he has been playing well in the last few weeks bar one game or two.

I would have preferred Ashley Young but he decided to go to Man United. I've also liked James Milner when he was at Leeds, Villa and Newcastle and wanted us to sign him as I feel we're kinda missing that "strong" type of player in the side.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #166: Mar 13, 2012 01:23:20 pm
      I hope you're right mate, I just can't see it myself. I do see him being a decent player in a 'better balanced' team, but that's just about it. Riera and Pennant also had decent spells, Pennant even was probably our best player in a UCL final. It doesn't mean they were what we needed to be a top class team, and I don't think Downing is at the level I'd be expecting.

I do agree with you to an extent mate. I think he is a step up from Riera or Pennant, but he was never worth what we paid for him. So my expectations are for a player that gives us width, plenty of crosses and balance, rather than a player who takes games by the scruff of the neck and imposes himself week in week out.

As you say, a decent not outstanding player, but imo much better than he has shown in most games up to now.

Quick Reply