Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

What League Position Is Unacceptable

Read 9931 times
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      What League Position Is Unacceptable
      Mar 11, 2012 12:16:32 am
      At the moment we are a mere 4 points above 13th placed norwich and only 2 points above Everton. I would like to know how low we would have to finishe before it became a real problem.
      For me if we finish below Everton it is completely unnacceptable, a mickey mouse club with a mickey mouse budget. Progress is not finishing below one of your most bitter rivals for the first time in 7 years after investing more than their whole squad is worth. And then I believe somebody should be held accountable.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 01:02:29 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: What League Position Is Unnacceptable
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2012 12:18:18 am
      2nd and anywhere below!

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2012 12:18:41 am
      Answer was obvious, 2nd and anything below is of course the right answer.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2012 12:25:51 am
      If 2nd is unacceptable at what position should bsomebody be held accountable?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2012 12:27:59 am
      Again anything below winning is missing our ultimate goal so not achieving that someone will be held accountable. The real question you're looking to ask is:

What league position finish is low enough to consider it correct to sack Kenny Dalglish?

Frankly I don't like the tone of the questions as it's pretty much been raised in other threads and covered well and truly.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2012 12:29:11 am
      Eight points closer to the bottom of the table than the top.

Nine years ago ...2003... since losing three on the bounce.

This is Liverpool Football Club.

That is accountable ...... right now.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2012 12:30:17 am
      Anything other than 1st.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2012 12:30:51 am
      I would imagine the answer you will get from most will be anything other that first and you can see why most would have that viewpoint because of our history and the fact we have now went 20 odd years without a title and have for the first time in history been overtaken from them on the titles front.

What I will say is, what happens in the cups does affect what I find acceptable in the league.

2004/05 was my favourite season being a Liverpool fan in 20 years for obvious reasons and we finished 5th in the league that season!

This season, I am as disappointed as as anyone with where we are in the league, but if we finish with a Carling Cup and FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, the fact is, it will have been our most successful season in 6 years.

Realisticaly, getting back in the top 4 where we were established for years until 2 seasons ago has to be the aim.

People are going to have to accept that we aren't going to just win the league without a few seasons in the top 4 behind us. It's took Man City 3 or 4 seasons to get in this position.

Patience and keep the faith is needed from everyone at the club.

5th or 6th this season and write it off as a poor league season where we had good cup runs. Top 4 next season. Challenging for the league within a season or 2 of that.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2012 12:32:32 am
      If 2nd is unacceptable at what position should bsomebody be held accountable?

Everyone. Owners, managers, coaches, scouts and players. No 1 person is ever soley accountable
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2012 12:41:59 am
      I would imagine the answer you will get from most will be anything other that first and you can see why most would have that viewpoint because of our history and the fact we have now went 20 odd years without a title and have for the first time in history been overtaken from them on the titles front.

What I will say is, what happens in the cups does affect what I find acceptable in the league.

2004/05 was my favourite season being a Liverpool fan in 20 years for obvious reasons and we finished 5th in the league that season!

This season, I am as disappointed as as anyone with where we are in the league, but if we finish with a Carling Cup and FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, the fact is, it will have been our most successful season in 6 years.

Realisticaly, getting back in the top 4 where we were established for years until 2 seasons ago has to be the aim.

People are going to have to accept that we aren't going to just win the league without a few seasons in the top 4 behind us. It's took Man City 3 or 4 seasons to get in this position.

Patience and keep the faith is needed from everyone at the club.

5th or 6th this season and write it off as a poor league season where we had good cup runs. Top 4 next season. Challenging for the league within a season or 2 of that.
      the question I am really asking is not if Kenny should be manager but at what position should a Liverpools managers job be questioned if you were to take his past reputation out of the question. The problem is on form we could finish as low as 10th. People are saying if we win the Carling Cup and FA Cup it will be fine but the FA Cup is still a long long way away judging by our recent form
      Judging by what we have achieved this season so far(FA Cup is far from in the bag) I am very unhappy, I am just as happy as the next fan to win the Carling Cup but lets not get ahead of ourselves, its a second rate competition and does not hide a disastorous season.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2012 12:56:50 am
      its a second rate competition and does not hide a disastorous season.

Get that idea out of your head, NO, it isn't a second rate competition at all, that idea's been put in your head by all the media/ fans of other clubs who think it's not worthy just because they haven't won it.

It's a passport into Europe, it was certainly good enough for our esteemed Managers of yesteryear and it's certainly good enough today as well.

I'd agree with you that our League campaign has been pretty dire, but the season isn't over yet, let's not jump the gun too early eh.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2012 01:13:12 am
      For me if we finish below Everton it is completely unnacceptable

Well we did in 2004/05. We also won the European Cup that year - was that season unacceptable?

I am just as happy as the next fan to win the Carling Cup but lets not get ahead of ourselves, its a second rate competition and does not hide a disastorous season.

Well the sentence that precedes the one I've quoted suggests you're not as happy as some. In fact in the very sentence before you claim you're unhappy with what we've achieved.

Judging by what we have achieved this season so far(FA Cup is far from in the bag) I am very unhappy,

Furthermore, the League Cup isn't a second rate competition and anybody who thinks it is needs to sort themselves out. The League Cup is the only competition in England to be won four years on the trot by the same club. Do you know who did that? We did between 81 and 84. The League Cup is the only competition to of been involved in both of our trebles - 84 and 2001. The League Cup is the only piece of silverware to of been won this season - we won it. Our first trophy in six years, that's more important than any poxy F***ing fourth place finish or are you one these jolly come latelys who is only interested in Champions League football and everything else can go hang? One of those who isn't arsed if we come first, second, third or fourth just as long as we get in the Champions League. The type of fan that doesn't understand this club.

What's unacceptable for Liverpool Football Club is coming second. That's why we're the most successful club in English football because we don't accept second best. We didn't accept second best from the outset in the League Cup and won it for a record eighth time. Kenny won't be accepting second best.

All this bollocks of "we could finish as low as..." well so F***ing what. We could finish first. The likelihood is we're not going to but we could. You wanna talk about where we could end up, how about you put your F***ing arse in gear and realise we could finish higher than where we are rather than coming out with yet another doom and gloom thread about how fu**ed up we are.

Fucks sake I was brought up with the belief that when Liverpool find themselves hard up on the pitch, those off are more united as one than ever. They sing louder and prouder. They believe and inspire more than ever. But nah not anymore. That's not the message being put into the next generation of fan. Nah, the next generation fan is being fed the belief that when times are hard you just sit and sulk. You just sit there and think you've got a god given right to be handed things. And when things go wrong, blame some other f**ker.

Christ, I love this club as much as anybody. But there's too many Liverpool "fans" who I F***ing dispise. Somebody was talking the other day about me believing I'm a better fan than others. And I said well there are some who aren't "true" fans. This just goes to F***ing prove it. Winning trophies isn't enough anymore, not even for the possibly the greatest player, possibly the greatest manager and possibly the greatest human being ever to grace the turf of Anfield.

What's unacceptable? What's unacceptable is we've just won our first trophy in six years and we're still trying to find ways to get rid of Kenny Dalglish as our manager. That's unacceptable.

F**k it, I'm outta here. Can't bare soft cu*ts without a clue anymore. Need to go to kip before I launch this laptop in the direction of a wall.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2012 01:15:26 am
      Get that idea out of your head, NO, it isn't a second rate competition at all, that idea's been put in your head by all the media/ fans of other clubs who think it's not worthy just because they haven't won it.

It's a passport into Europe, it was certainly good enough for our esteemed Managers of yesteryear and it's certainly good enough today as well.

I'd agree with you that our League campaign has been pretty dire, but the season isn't over yet, let's not jump the gun too early eh.

not jumping the gun, if I offered this league position along with a Carling Cup to 90% of the Liverpool fans I would be laughed at. I was simply asking the question when does our form become unnacceptable because to me it is right now.
      A ticket to Europe? Werent we singing Thursday night football at the Utd fans at the last game, thats us next season. Thats also a second rate competition, nice to win but nothing to boast about. I wanna boast about Champions League wins, Premier League wins and FA cup wins, nothing else, I was brought up to expect the best from Liverpool, that is far from what I am getting right now, I am glad that at least some of you feel a Carling Cup is good enough for Liverpool F.C, having such low expectations must be great but to me a major competition is what we should be winning.
       I actually laugh when I think you are happy with a Carling Cup win, do you honestly think Shankly would of thought of that as a successful campaign?
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2012 01:21:17 am
      Well we did in 2004/05. We also won the European Cup that year - was that season unacceptable?

Well the sentence that precedes the one I've quoted suggests you're not as happy as some. In fact in the very sentence before you claim you're unhappy with what we've achieved.

Furthermore, the League Cup isn't a second rate competition and anybody who thinks it is needs to sort themselves out. The League Cup is the only competition in England to be won four years on the trot by the same club. Do you know who did that? We did between 81 and 84. The League Cup is the only competition to of been involved in both of our trebles - 84 and 2001. The League Cup is the only piece of silverware to of been won this season - we won it. Our first trophy in six years, that's more important than any poxy f**king fourth place finish or are you one these jolly come latelys who is only interested in Champions League football and everything else can go hang? One of those who isn't arsed if we come first, second, third or fourth just as long as we get in the Champions League. The type of fan that doesn't understand this club.

What's unacceptable for Liverpool Football Club is coming second. That's why we're the most successful club in English football because we don't accept second best. We didn't accept second best from the outset in the League Cup and won it for a record eighth time. Kenny won't be accepting second best.

All this bollocks of "we could finish as low as..." well so f**king what. We could finish first. The likelihood is we're not going to but we could. You wanna talk about where we could end up, how about you put your f**king arse in gear and realise we could finish higher than where we are rather than coming out with yet another doom and gloom thread about how fu**ed up we are.

Fucks sake I was brought up with the belief that when Liverpool find themselves hard up on the pitch, those off are more united as one than ever. They sing louder and prouder. They believe and inspire more than ever. But nah not anymore. That's not the message being put into the next generation of fan. Nah, the next generation fan is being fed the belief that when times are hard you just sit and sulk. You just sit there and think you've got a god given right to be handed things. And when things go wrong, blame some other f**ker.

Christ, I love this club as much as anybody. But there's too many Liverpool "fans" who I f**king dispise. Somebody was talking the other day about me believing I'm a better fan than others. And I said well there are some who aren't "true" fans. This just goes to f**king prove it. Winning trophies isn't enough anymore, not even for the possibly the greatest player, possibly the greatest manager and possibly the greatest human being ever to grace the turf of Anfield.

What's unacceptable? What's unacceptable is we've just won our first trophy in six years and we're still trying to find ways to get rid of Kenny Dalglish as our manager. That's unacceptable.

F**k it, I'm outta here. Can't bare soft cu*ts without a clue anymore. Need to go to kip before I launch this laptop in the direction of a wall.
      Getting in the Champions league means attracting the best footballers to this club which in turn means challenging for better trophies. Simple logic but its obviously a little difficult for you since to you us fans only want Champions league football, to me us fans want what is best for the club in the long run. Maybe you fans who think finishing 10th with a Carling Cup is what is damaging the club.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2012 01:27:10 am
      Getting in the Champions league means attracting the best footballers to this club which in turn means challenging for better trophies. Simple logic but its obviously a little difficult for you since to you us fans only want Champions league football, to me us fans want what is best for the club in the long run. Maybe you fans who think finishing 10th with a Carling Cup is what is damaging the club.

Tell me then who is the best player at the club? Because if your answer is Luis Suarez, he signed when we weren't a Champions League club. So attracting the best players is a load of F***ing bollocks, players want to win trophies not count how many times they came fourth.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John
      • Started Topic

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2012 01:33:03 am
      Tell me then who is the best player at the club? Because if your answer is Luis Suarez, he signed when we weren't a Champions League club. So attracting the best players is a load of f**king bollocks, players want to win trophies not count how many times they came fourth.
      Reina, I think is our best player, Scouse adopted and irreplaceable, I would also go as far to say as we struggle more when Agger is injured than Suarez was out. And answer me this do you honestly believe a world class player is gonna say Ill join Liverpool, they won the Carling Cup last year, dont make me laugh?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2012 01:41:38 am
      Reina, I think is our best player, Scouse adopted and irreplaceable, I would also go as far to say as we struggle more when Agger is injured than Suarez was out. And answer me this do you honestly believe a world class player is gonna say Ill join Liverpool, they won the Carling Cup last year, dont make me laugh?

Suarez did without us winning the Carling Cup. So why not?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2012 01:48:24 am
      Anything below 1st. Yeah give me a break!

We have not won the title for 20 odd years. Acceptable for us sadly is 4th. With our current squad it would be a magnificent achievement.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2012 02:23:12 am
      Anything below 1st. Yeah give me a break!

We have not won the title for 20 odd years. Acceptable for us sadly is 4th. With our current squad it would be a magnificent achievement.

Oh just F**k off lad.

4th is never an achievement for this club let alone a magnificent one. Then again you're the one who was only interested in the League Cup providing you could brag about it to your mates so it's no surprise you don't understand the club.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2012 02:32:39 am
      Quote from notorious1985
      not jumping the gun, if I offered this league position along with a Carling Cup to 90% of the Liverpool fans I would be laughed at. I was simply asking the question when does our form become unnacceptable because to me it is right now.

Our form has been "unacceptable" for the past 22 years. If Liverpool fans laugh at trophies won by our players, then they don't know what a Liverpool fan is.

A ticket to Europe? Werent we singing Thursday night football at the Utd fans at the last game, thats us next season. Thats also a second rate competition, nice to win but nothing to boast about.

At least they have European football, albeit hopefully for not much longer. Bollocks is it a second rate competition, it's the next biggest club prize in Europe after the CL, and if we're in it, I want to win it too. My local club made the group phase of the competition this season, and it was like Christmas coming early. Better that than sitting on our backsides all week waiting to get beaten at f***in' Sunderland.   

I wanna boast about Champions League wins, Premier League wins and FA cup wins, nothing else,

There's plenty of other clubs out there to suit those wishes. 

I was brought up to expect the best from Liverpool, that is far from what I am getting right now, I am glad that at least some of you feel a Carling Cup is good enough for Liverpool F.C, having such low expectations must be great but to me a major competition is what we should be winning.

We don't have low expectations, most of us have realistic ones, and again the League Cup is a major domestic competition.

I actually laugh when I think you are happy with a Carling Cup win, do you honestly think Shankly would of thought of that as a successful campaign?

Shanks would say what I would say. A cup is a cup.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2012 02:59:14 am
      players want to win trophies not count how many times they came fourth.

4th is never an achievement for this club

Well, Glen Johnson did say how coming 4th was the main objective for Liverpool than winning the Carling Cup. So that kind of disproves your theory.

“I think it would be a failure to miss out on the Champions League,” said Johnson. “Purely because that was the main objective, but of course you’d rather not finish in the top four with a trophy, then end up with nothing from the season.
      “The ideal is to finish in the top four certainly, but I think everyone is pleased we’ve got a trophy, and hopefully we can pick up another one.
      “Definitely the main aim for this season, and every season, is the top four."
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2012 11:26:56 am
      So did Bellamy. Top 4 was obviously the main objective of this season.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #22: Mar 11, 2012 11:43:27 am
      If you want to win more than just the League Cup you need to be finishing in the top 4. If you don't, you won't be showcasing the team on the biggest stage, you won't be getting the revenue, you won't be catching the eye of big players, you won't be able to build a squad to get close to winning the league, you won't be winning the European Cup. But you might win many more League Cups. If that makes you happy, so be it.

Quick Reply