Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

What League Position Is Unacceptable

Read 9862 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6755 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: What League Position Is Unnacceptable
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2012 11:54:26 am

Here, Here.

A + for you
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2012 11:54:41 am
      Fourth spot was our target at the start of the season and it will be the same next season, anyone thinking at the start of next season we're going to be challenging for the league needs to realize where we now are as a club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #25: Mar 11, 2012 12:06:03 pm
      Winning League Cup is one thing but wanting to be spoken as the best alongside the others is another.

While I'm happy with the cup win, it's just not enough for a club like Liverpool.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #26: Mar 11, 2012 12:14:48 pm
      Quote from Reepicheep
      If you want to win more than just the League Cup you need to be finishing in the top 4. If you don't, you won't be showcasing the team on the biggest stage, you won't be getting the revenue, you won't be catching the eye of big players, you won't be able to build a squad to get close to winning the league, you won't be winning the European Cup. But you might win many more League Cups. If that makes you happy, so be it.

Liverpool do not exist to finish in Top 4 positions. Liverpool exist to win trophies. Kenny has delivered on that score now, and in the past.

This is not a sweet shop, you can't pick and choose what you want when you want, winning trophies glamourous or not, is hard work. Many fail to win one all year. Of course we want more than League Cups, but I'd rather win that than win what Arsenal have won in the past 7 years. Finishing in the Top 4 didn't help them much in the long run.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Mar 11, 2012 12:20:19 pm
      Ive a funny feeling if arsenal finish in top 4 this season you will see a change in their transfer policy.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #28: Mar 11, 2012 12:35:17 pm
      Anything below 4th.  Reasons:
      1) The momentum we showed in the second half of last season should have carried us forward to further improvement this time.
      2) Arsenal and Chelsea have lost ground and we should be taking advantage of that.
      3) The money spent on new players should, after some settling-in time, have produced improved performances.
      4) A crack at CL football is what a club of our stature should always be aiming for.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2012 12:38:00 pm
      Liverpool do not exist to finish in Top 4 positions. Liverpool exist to win trophies. Kenny has delivered on that score now, and in the past.

This is not a sweet shop, you can't pick and choose what you want when you want, winning trophies glamourous or not, is hard work. Many fail to win one all year. Of course we want more than League Cups, but I'd rather win that than win what Arsenal have won in the past 7 years. Finishing in the Top 4 didn't help them much in the long run.

Of course we don't exist to finish in the top 4. I would not be happy finishing in the top 4 every year with nothing to show for it. However, do you not agree that to compete for the biggest trophies consistently you must be in the top European competition and challenging for the league?  You can't do either of these outside the top 4. To get where we want to be we need to start by aiming for top 4. If that means missing out on a league cup until we get ourselves a solid foundation then we need to consider that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #30: Mar 11, 2012 12:50:53 pm
      2 years ago, City failed to make the Top 4. They're on course to hopefully win the league this, and spare us from opposition fans getting into the Road End on gameday, displaying "no. 20" wind-up banners.

They didn't change their coach then, we've no need to change ours now. The coach isn't the problem, the reality is the players are not good enough. And we can't change them until July. We have European football next year, which may attract a better quality of player that no European football could this year.

dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #31: Mar 11, 2012 12:55:07 pm
      As happy as I was with winning the league cup I would swap that success if it meant we were to finish 4th!! The champions league is head and shoulders above the Europa League, we will find it much harder to attract the best players from around the globe if we were to finish lower than 4th which at the moment is lucking extremely likely barring us winning our final 11 league games.

I think Kenny should be given the summer and next season to turn things around but I would want to see incredible improvemnet in the first 10-12 league games next year!!  I dont think we've come that far since Kenny took charge 14 months ago!! Ok we've won the league cup, but that doesn't hide the fact that our league campaign has been a total disaster!! The new signings have been a major dissapointment!! 
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #32: Mar 11, 2012 12:56:45 pm
      2 years ago, City failed to make the Top 4. They're on course to hopefully win the league this, and spare us from opposition fans getting into the Road End on gameday, displaying "no. 20" wind-up banners.

They didn't change their coach then, we've no need to change ours now. The coach isn't the problem, the reality is the players are not good enough. And we can't change them until July. We have European football next year, which may attract a better quality of player that no European football could this year.

City have endless cash to wave under the noses of players like Silva and Aguero. We don't.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2012 01:00:04 pm
      O

Question do you think our owners will spend the same amounts of money as sheik mansour
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 11, 2012 01:02:48 pm
      Question do you think our owners will spend the same amounts of money as sheik mansour

Maybe not mate but they're going to have to buy more wisely than they did last summer because the likes of Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll have been total dissapointments!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: What League Position Is Unacceptable
      Reply #35: Mar 11, 2012 01:04:14 pm
      No maybe mate John Henry has said we wont be spending like man city.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #36: Mar 11, 2012 01:06:37 pm
      The English dictionary defines the word 'unacceptable' as 'not satisfactory'.

As far as I'm concerned anything other than 1st or when we fail to win a competition we enter then that is not satisfactory.

It seems some of you however have let your standards slip and consider qualification for a CL playoff game is now the definition of acceptability.  Shame on you.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #37: Mar 11, 2012 01:09:24 pm
      I dont think we need to spend massive amounts, the defence this season has been pretty solid, Enrique has been a decent buy, and Agger and Skrtel have been great this season.  I can also see the likes of Robinson, Flanagan, Kelly and Coates having great futures.

Me personally, I'd love to see Maxi brought back into the team, its one of the mysteries of the season how after such a fantastic end to last season he's barely featured this campaign, I'd have him out on the left every day over Downing!! We'll be in much better shape when Lucas returns from his injury.

I'd like us to strengthen on the right-hand side of the midfield and I think we need 1 maybe even 2 new strikers in the summer as well!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #38: Mar 11, 2012 01:12:35 pm
      I think this should have been entitled 'What League Position Should be the Minimum Requirement for Kenny's First Season in Charge'.

I think that is the question he would like answered.

If anybody in life consider's anything other than 1st place acceptable then they are content with being losers.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #39: Mar 11, 2012 01:21:18 pm
      August last year, i would have said 6th and anything below is unacceptable given the amount of money we've spent.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #40: Mar 11, 2012 01:37:47 pm
      August last year, i would have said 6th and anything below is unacceptable given the amount of money we've spent.

Given the ammount of money we spent , I think most of us thought 4th was a distinct possibility.
      Losing Lucas has been a bigger blow than many of us thought . I think 6th is now looking the best we can do , even then we are going to have to go some to get that.
      Maybe we expected too much , spending big money doesn't automatically bring success.
      City have found that out , look how many players they have signed then moved on. The difference is we don't have City money we need to spend more wisely .
      We should have signed a striker in January , our failure to do so has maybe cost us 4th.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 3353 
      Reply #41: Mar 11, 2012 02:06:44 pm
      Well, Glen Johnson did say how coming 4th was the main objective for Liverpool than winning the Carling Cup. So that kind of disproves your theory.

“I think it would be a failure to miss out on the Champions League,” said Johnson. “Purely because that was the main objective, but of course you’d rather not finish in the top four with a trophy, then end up with nothing from the season.
      “The ideal is to finish in the top four certainly, but I think everyone is pleased we’ve got a trophy, and hopefully we can pick up another one.
      “Definitely the main aim for this season, and every season, is the top four."

So F***ing what if that's what he believes. That disproves nothing lad. Alls that proves is Johnson would rather play in the Champions League than win trophies, which is not The Liverpool Way. We exist to win trophies, first is first, we've had our bad seasons to - we came second once. That's what this club stands for. Trophies are more important than fourth.

But hey you believe otherwise, I'm not surprised since you were one of the first to say you'd take fourth before a ball was kicked. Nothing surprises me on here anymore. I've come to realise that the current Liverpool fan base is not the same as the one I was brought up by. And like most things in football, I prefer the past much more to the modern.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #42: Mar 11, 2012 02:25:54 pm

But hey you believe otherwise, I'm not surprised since you were one of the first to say you'd take fourth before a ball was kicked.

Well the players, owners and Dalglish have been the ones talking about trying to break into the Top Four as the main goal in the league. Maybe that is a little more realistic than winning the title, for now.

It isn't just me that thinks breaking into the Top Four would be an achivement for this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,055 posts | 3353 
      Reply #43: Mar 11, 2012 02:31:57 pm
      Well the players, owners and Dalglish have been the ones talking about trying to break into the Top Four as the main goal in the league. Maybe that is a little more realistic than winning the title, for now.

It isn't just me that thinks breaking into the Top Four would be an achivement for this season.

I don't recall at the start of the season before a ball being kicked, our manager saying "how great it'd be for the most successful club in England to come fourth - the streets will be lined with Liverpool fans to watch us parade our fourth place finish" (or words to that affect).

Fourth is no achievement for Liverpool Football Club - end of.
      Scottbot

• 9,618 posts | 2159 
      Reply #44: Mar 11, 2012 02:35:42 pm

Again anything below winning is missing our ultimate goal so not achieving that someone will be held accountable. The real question you're looking to ask is:

What league position finish is low enough to consider it correct to sack Kenny Dalglish?

Frankly I don't like the tone of the questions as it's pretty much been raised in other threads and covered well and truly.

Have to agree with this. If posters think Kenny should go why not grow some balls and say so? So many posts and threads kicking about in here saying the same thing without actually saying it.

What I will say is, what happens in the cups does affect what I find acceptable in the league.

True for me as well and many fans I think. A few times under Rafa we were hoping and expecting a title challenge only to be effectively out of the running by Christmas but it was largley off-set but some excellent performances in the Champions League. Add the Fa Cup to the one we've already got in the cabinet and everyone's opinion of where we finish in the league will be softened considerably.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #45: Mar 11, 2012 02:38:51 pm
      Fourth is no achievement for Liverpool Football Club - end of.
      Right now, of course, it would be.........

Quick Reply