Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Liverpool vs Ajax NextGen Semi Final

Read 22168 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Liverpool vs Ajax NextGen Semi Final
      Reply #184: Mar 14, 2012 09:41:48 pm
      They still got through to the semis after two huge defeats to Sporting. Borrell will handle it!

I hope you're right. They were up against an excellent team tonight.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #185: Mar 14, 2012 09:44:25 pm
      At times experiences like that are the best way to learn..

I had to dip in and out ( young un's badly) how did the two we are pushing to step into first team action look overall? Suso and Sterling?

To anyone who watched the whole thing.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #186: Mar 14, 2012 09:52:40 pm
      Ajax is some university of football. If they played in a European super league and could keep their best players they'd be on more than 4 European cups.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #187: Mar 14, 2012 09:57:37 pm
      Ajax is some university of football. If they played in a European super league and could keep their best players they'd be on more than 4 European cups.

That's the problem, I think I heard them say on the radio that they haven't win back to back titles for a long time as well. When they get a good side together they get picked off by the rest of Europe and they have to start again.

Future looks bright for them though.

And us I must say.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #188: Mar 14, 2012 10:03:58 pm
      That's the problem, I think I heard them say on the radio that they haven't win back to back titles for a long time as well. When they get a good side together they get picked off by the rest of Europe and they have to start again.

And us I must say.

I'd like to have seen us buy more from them over the years, Paisley. Even Vermaelen at Arsenal was educated at Ajax and you can see the class in him.  Sneijder and Huntelaar came through there in the last decade too. They educate players very well about all aspects of the game and they're a still a very big club so their players learn about playing under pressure.

Even Ryan Babel who we bought off them was, for all his faults, a much better talent than Stuart Downing IMO.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #189: Mar 14, 2012 10:31:47 pm
      I thought our two best players were Suso and Adorjan.
      Won't be too hard on the ones that cost us, but definitely those two had the quality above others in our team.
      Lacking quality in the centre though. We gave away the ball far too cheaply and often got caught with players out of position as a result.
      That's where Joao Teixeira should make a massive difference.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #190: Mar 14, 2012 10:31:47 pm
      Even Ryan Babel who we bought off them was, for all his faults, a much better talent than Stuart Downing IMO.
      Whoa! Steady on there fella  :laugh:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #191: Mar 14, 2012 11:35:53 pm
      Well done to everyone who got to go.  I couldn't make it but what a fantastic turnout there was!

Ajax were easily the best team in the tournament, and although it looks like the scoreline flattered them a bit, they sound as if they were worthy winners.

The advent of the 18 man squads in football did a lot of damage to reserve football in England.  Whereas it used to be an opportunity for those who didn't make the 11, or senior players recovering from injuries - it is now essentially another level of youth football.

It doesn't matter how much talent or potential our kids have if they are playing against other kids every week.  Ajax looked far more experienced - and the whole experience will do these players the world of good.  It may remind one or two of them that they still have much to learn.  It may also serve as a reminder to those amongst our fans who, in true kneejerking style, suggest 'play the kids' after we have a disappointing result.

It's a shame that reserve teams can't compete in a different format - maybe alongside conference teams but without the prospect of promotion.  They would learn far more than that than a 14 game season against Blackpool's youth team.

That Ajax team revolves around Viktor Fischer. He was responsible for those 3 goals against Barcelona too. So we just need to keep him out of the game.

Wise prophetic words!
      Bier
      Reply #192: Mar 14, 2012 11:46:24 pm

And us I must say.
      Ajax and their supporters actually consider the state of their youth academy to be and have been poor for at least the last decade or so. That's why it's being revamped starting last summer by Cruijff, Bergkamp and some other former players. Scouting good foreign youth players has saved them to an extend the last few years, Eriksen, Vermaelen, Vertonghen and now Fischer. But Ajax used to dominate Dutch football and the Dutch national teams, and now there isn't even a single Ajax player in the Dutch national under 21 team, which is unheard of. Even in the actual national team, Van der Wiel is the last Ajax talent. The new Dutch generation are players like Ola John, Luuk de Jong, Strootman, Wijnaldum, Bruma etc. None from Ajax. But this current youth team is actually doing well in their national competition too at least, first in the league. Although I'd have to add that the biggest Dutch talents of that age actually are in other teams.

The reason they've declined in Europe has alot to do with the Bosman ruling. The reason they haven't done well in the Dutch League is purely due to bad policy on various levels.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012 12:06:39 am by Bier »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #193: Mar 15, 2012 01:31:19 am
      Viktor Fischer .. sign him up!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #194: Mar 15, 2012 07:58:37 am

Yes! And then sell him to Chelsea for 50m so we can buy lavezzi  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #195: Mar 15, 2012 08:32:32 am
      Felt really sorry for them young lads last night, although Ajax thouroughly deserved their win, our young lads didn't deserve the battering they took, but, i am extremely proud of those lads, and they should be very proud of themselves, they could not have tried any harder than they did all through the tournament, i'm sure Rodolfo would have praised them and be very proud him self for the work he has done,

those kids have a very bright future, and they will take that defeat and remember how it felt, i'm very excited about the future knowing that we have very talented young lads coming through the ranks and  pushing for a first team place,

well done lads,everyone of you,you did yourselves, your family and the club very proud, and earned yourselve's massive respect, this season just wasn't to be,

also well done to the Ajax lads, very talented lads, good luck in the final.

IRWT   YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #196: Mar 15, 2012 09:24:00 am
      The advent of the 18 man squads in football did a lot of damage to reserve football in England.  Whereas it used to be an opportunity for those who didn't make the 11, or senior players recovering from injuries - it is now essentially another level of youth football.

It doesn't matter how much talent or potential our kids have if they are playing against other kids every week.  Ajax looked far more experienced - and the whole experience will do these players the world of good.  It may remind one or two of them that they still have much to learn.  It may also serve as a reminder to those amongst our fans who, in true kneejerking style, suggest 'play the kids' after we have a disappointing result.

It's a shame that reserve teams can't compete in a different format - maybe alongside conference teams but without the prospect of promotion.  They would learn far more than that than a 14 game season against Blackpool's youth team.

Is a bang on assessment mate. Unfortunately reserve team football has now unofficially become an under-19s league which means our youth lads are essentially playing against the same opposition for their 3 years as a scholar. It's quite rare that they get a chance to play against an experienced side like the one Everton put out last week so this tournament was excellent experience for the lads to be able to sample playing against a different type of football, plus the travel and playing in front of bigger crowds. I can't help but think the advent of academy football 10 years or so ago has been a failure. Stevie was one of the last to come through the old system (ie. having duties to perform, training at the same facility as the first team much of the time, the opportunity to play in a genuine reserve team set-up etc) and I think it was the better way to go.

I thought the reuslt was tough on them and they looked the better side for a 20 minute spell after Ajax scored but missing the penalty and then conceding right before half-time took the wind out of them and then (as is common in youth football) once the game was lost they fell apart somewhat to an incredibly clinical Ajax team.

As for the lads on the night, I thought Adorjan looked the part for spells, young McCloughlin at FB had some good moments and Suso at times but the rest struggled. Young Sterling was bright in the first half but lost his cool a bit as the game got away and faded badly. Ngoo deffo has a bit about him and he reminds me of Peter Crouch in his build and the way he plays. He's got surprisingly nimble feet and can dance around players in tight areas but like Crouch he lacks the strength (and attitude) to boss defenders around. I know a lot of people like Wisdom but based on what i've seen the past couple of seasons I don't think he will make it. He's strong as an oxe but he looks stiff in the hips and on the turn and I think he would always struggle with premiership forwards. I'm not sure why Bellfield didn't play in goal last night? I think he might have a chance but the young lad (Ward) who played yeterday had a bit of stinker.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #197: Mar 15, 2012 09:29:57 am

Attendance: 6,000

Referee: J Simpson

Ajax progressed to the final of the NextGen tournament overcoming Liverpool in front of over 5,000 fans at St Helens impressive Langtree Park stadium.
      The clubs, who share an incredible nine European Cups between them, both have a proud heritage of developing world class footballers and it was fitting that Steven Gerrard, arguably Liverpool's finest ever, was in attendance to see Rodolfo Borrell's class of 2012 pit their wits against the club whose academy roll of honour includes the names Cruyff, Bergkamp, Overmars and Kluivert.

Ajax travelled to England for the semi final after comprehensively dispatching tournament favourites Barcelona 3-0 in their quarter final tie played at Barca's Mini Estadi.
      Liverpool, the tournament’s only remaining English team, progressed to the semi’s at the expense of Tottenham who stepped down from the tournament having fielded an ineligible player in their quarter final victory over the Reds at White Hart Lane.

Despite the defeat to Tottenham, Liverpool come into the fixture in exceptional form and were exceptionally unlucky to have lost to Spurs in a fixture they dominated from start to finish and will have been hoping to take full advantage of their reprieve and progress to the final.

Borrell handed a NextGen debut to goalkeeper Danny Ward, having recently signed the 18-year-old from Wrexham, unfortunately the young Welshman’s first involvement was to pick the ball out of the net.

Liverpool, who had started well, fell behind in the 7th minute, Mats Rits and Davy Klaassen combining to tee up Viktor Fischer to side-foot low past Ward from the edge of the area against the run of play.

The hosts had the opportunity to respond immediately having been awarded a 10th minute penalty after Raheem Sterling had been brought down by Ruben Ligeon, but much like their senior counterparts Liverpool’s potency from the penalty spot was found wanting.
      Ajax goalkeeper Mickey Van Der Hart guessed right to thwart Suso, not normally Liverpool’s penalty taker, before reacting superbly to claw away the rebound from young Spaniard.
      Liverpool continued to dominate and had another opportunity to equalise on the quarter hour mark, Krisztian Adorjan finding space in the box but could only scoop his shot over the bar from 10 yards.

Ajax could have doubled their lead in the 22nd minute following a slip by Liverpool centre-half Stephen Sama with the ball falling invitingly for Rowendey Schoop, but the Ajax striker scuffed his effort with the goal gaping.

Having given away a penalty earlier in the half, Ligeon, who has already played for the Ajax senior side was involved at the other end of the pitch, having burst from the back the defender saw his shot saved superbly by Ward in the Liverpool goal.

Ajax slowly wrestled control of the fixture and further punished Liverpool for their profligacy minutes before half-time with the hosts again being the architects of their own downfall with Sama in particular culpable, sloppily gifting possession to Viktor Fischer who centred for Lesley De Sa to double Ajax's advantage.
      The first half ended on a controversial note with referee waving away appeals for a second Liverpool penalty after Raheem Sterling appeared to be nudged in the back when clean through on goal, with the young winger getting booked for his trouble after clashing with Ajax keeper Van Der Hart.

Liverpool's hopes of reaching the final took a further blow three minutes into the second half, Danny Ward parrying a Davy Klaassen drive straight into the path of Viktor Fischer who bundled the ball over the line for his second of the game to double his tally for the tournament.

Ajax added a fourth from the spot to end the tie as a contest, Klaaassen firing emphatically past Ward from 12 yards after referee Jeremy Simpson deemed the slightest contact from Andre Wisdom on Viktor Fischer worthy of a penalty.

Liverpool allowed their frustration with  Simpson to get the better of them as they lost all shape and concentration, conceding a further two goals within the space of two minutes, Klaassen adding to his tally on 70 minutes before Fischer found the bottom corner of Wards net on 71 minutes to complete his hat-trick.
      The result was undeniably harsh on Liverpool who controlled the game for long periods, but a lack of cutting edge combined with uncharacteristic individual mistakes proved to be the Reds undoing.

Ajax will now face either Internazionale or Olympique de Marseille in the hugely anticipated NextGen series final which will be played at Leyton Orient's Matchroom Stadium on Sunday 25th March.

http://www.nextgenseries.com/en/FixturesResultsTables/Results/Wed-14-03-12/Liverpool---Ajax/Liverpool---Ajax

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #198: Mar 15, 2012 09:41:47 am

Ajax frustration for Coady and co
      Liverpool crashed out of the NextGen Series after losing 6-0 to a strong and experienced Ajax outfit at St Helens Langtree Park on Wednesday night.

Rodolfo Borrell's side gave a very good account of themselves in the first-half, but Fred Grim's powerful Dutch side were clinical when it mattered.

Danish youth international Viktor Fischer was the star of the show with a hat-trick while skipper Davy Klasen, who has played Champions League football for the first team, netted twice, including a dubious penalty, and Lesley Da Sa was also on target.

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

LFC 0-6 Ajax: 12 mins
      Liverpool had a big chance in the game just after Ajax had taken the lead. Raheem Sterling was brought down inside the box and a penalty gave Borrell's side a great opportunity.

However, Suso took the responsibility and was denied by a brilliant double stop from Ajax keeper Mickey van der Hart.

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

Rodolfo's Ajax verdict
      Krisztian Adorjan also missed a good chance after working his way through the Ajax defence and there was controversy just before the break when Liverpool appeared to be denied a blatant penalty.

Sterling was brought down by Stefano Denswil who was also the last man, but after consultation with his assistant, the referee turned down the appeal.

Suso hit the bar in the second half but Ajax were so clinical with their finishing and now go on to meet either Marseille or Inter Milan in the NextGen Series final.

Liverpool team: Ward, McLaughlin, McGiveron, Sama, Wisdom, Coady, Sterling, Roddan (Morgan 60), Ngoo, Adorjan, Sterling. Unused subs: Belford, Dunn, Ibe, Regan.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ajax-frustration-for-coady-and-co

Don't know why Belford didn't start this.
      Ward had a bit of a shocker on his debut in the competition.

Would of also liked to have seen Ibe come on in the second half.

Big learning experience for the reds.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #199: Mar 15, 2012 11:18:42 am
      Thinking about this today:

If we take it that we will do very well to see a couple make it from each age group, we have seen:
      Spearing and Kelly.
      Flanagan and Robinson.

For this group are talking about Sterling, Suso, Adorjan, Coady and Wisdom. I think during the course of the tournament we can
      say that our attacking second line, Sterling - Adorjan - Suso, are probably the ones from this group that will feature at some point
      in the Europa League next year. An excellent return.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #200: Mar 15, 2012 11:25:09 am
      I was at the game last night. The first thing to note was the fantastic turnout. We had delays getting there so didn't artrive until around 18:40 with kick off scheduled for 19:00. It was apparent straight aways that they needed to do something because there were thousands of fans queueing all around the stadium. Sure enough and announcement came over the tannoy saying that it had been delayed for 15 minutes. Then 10 minutes later, more turnstiles opened up. We were all originally supposed to be sat on the South stand but they ended up opening the standing areas in the West and East stands as well. Very impressive.

As for the match, we started well and had a couple f of good chances, as well as the missed penalty and Ajax did well to go in 2-0 up. Unfortunately when they scored the 3rd, huge sections of our fantastic support stood up and walked out! This must have devastated the lads as their heads dropped and it was game over from then in. I know they need to toughen up but I'm afraid the 12th man let them down last night, deserting them when they needed out support.

Liverpool:
      I thought Mclaughlin played excellently and was unlucky to be in a defence that leaked 6 goals, he rarely put a foot wrong.
      Suso showed his class but is wasted out wide.
      Adorjan played some good stuff but wasn't helped by...
      Ngoo who had plenty of the ball but insisted on trying to dribble his way past their entire defence.
      Sterling was electric when on the ball but I'm beginning to wonder if the concern with him (ie, why he hasn't stepped up) is that his movement off the ball isn't good enough. He was barely in the game second half as the only way he made himself available for a pass was to drop back and go wide, meaning that when he did get it, he immediately had a man or two to get past.

Ajax:
      We were advised to look out for Fischer and sure enough, he was excellent.
      I'd also like to applaud Klaassen though, he was immense last night and made everything look very simple. A good example was towards the end of the match when I was talking about him, a ball was driven towards his thigh at high speed. He simply raised his leg and with the outside of his foot, played a simple pass, taking the sting out of the ball. He's already in the first team squad and I think he has a bright future.
      Their no3 was also good but I'm not sure of his name.

Unlucky to lose 6-0 but Ajaz were a class above, on the night at least and what a shame that the crowd didn't play their part after making the effort to go.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #201: Mar 15, 2012 11:27:17 am
      Bit of a baptism of fire for Ward to be honest, had he played for the reserves before yesterday?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #202: Mar 15, 2012 11:36:29 am
      a shame that the crowd didn't play their part after making the effort to go.

I noticed that on the TV last night.
      Massive crowd at the start. Then during the second half the stadium was noticeably emptying.
      Around that time the team seemed to fall apart. Disappointing to see the fans not stay on.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #203: Mar 15, 2012 05:28:51 pm
      Ajax academy has been reaping the benefits for many years. Our academy after being overhauled is only in its infancy and we'll hopefully learn from Ajax, dust ourselves off and pick ourselves up and become better because of the experience tonight. Hopefully teaching us to be more clinical. But Ajax were class and I hope they win the final. I'll be happy if 1 or 2 make it to the first team as it'll save us money and hopefully give us some good players.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #204: Mar 15, 2012 06:23:34 pm

Would definitely sign this kid!  He looks like the real deal!  I have big doubts over whether either Ngoo or Morgan will be able to make a real impact at senior level for varying reasons, but Fischer looks like he will be able to make the step up.  His quality shown through last night, and I think we would do well to sign him. 

I thought Suso and Adjoran looked very good for us.  His distribution is impeccable and he looks like he could become a great playmaker!  Adjoran has such class and composure on the ball, and I think that he could make the grade at the senior level.  I believe that Sterling will become a star in the next 2-4 years, and from what I saw of the group games that lad Teixeira from Sporting looks like a very crafty CM.  I think that we should focus on getting those 4 (Suso, Sterling, Adjoran, and Teixiera) as much experience as possible to groom them into 1st team players.  If we can get 2 of them to be top players at the senior level then we will have done very well!  Also, between Hendo, Shelvey, Coates, Kelly, Flano, and Robo, we have a very solid group of youngsters, so things are looking good in that dept in my opinion! 
      mooki3
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #205: Mar 16, 2012 02:26:59 pm
      Match Report: U19s 0 - 6 Ajax (NextGen Series Semi Final)

http://elitedevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/match-report-u19s-0-6-ajax-nextgen.html

Without a doubt the best atmosphere I’ve ever witnessed for a reserve game was building before the delayed kick-off to the first ever semi-final of this brilliant new youth champions league competition.

The fans didn’t seem fazed when the magnificent Dane, Viktor Fischer, received the ball after a wonderful one-and-two-touch passing move from Ajax and slipped it past Danny Ward, making his NextGen debut, into the bottom corner with a finish showing maturity well beyond his seventeen years.

The boys in red on the pitch didn’t seem fazed by this either, it quite conversely spurned them on to their best spell of the game. On 10 minutes Liverpool were rightly awarded a penalty kick; there was a bit of a mêlée between a few of the Liverpool players as to who would take the penalty, and in the end regular taker Conor Coady was overruled by Suso who had never taken a spot kick for Liverpool at any level before. It was a weak effort which Van der Hart in the Ajax goal palmed back into the path of the Spanish playmaker, however Suso didn’t make a great connection with the follow up and allowed the ‘keep to recover and tip the ball round the post.

In hindsight the penalty at that moment could’ve changed the game. However, hopes in the stadium still ran high as Liverpool were controlling the middle of the pitch, keeping possession and dictating the tempo of the game.

A mixture of wasteful play in the final 3rd of the pitch and [some would say] the referee’s unwilling to award Liverpool a second penalty from one of several good shouts meant the reds were unable to pull level however and on 44 minutes; Sama carelessly gifted possession to Viktor Fischer who fed in the lightning quick right-winger Lesley De Sa for a simple tap in to double Ajax’s advantage. Seconds later speed merchant Raheem Sterling raced through on goal and was [clearly] nudged off the ball in the penalty area, nothing given, except a yellow for Sterling; a consequence of his clash with the Ajax ‘keeper. The whistle blew for half-time and not one of the 6,000 in attendance could believe Liverpool was trailing by 2 goals.

The tie was unfortunately concluded almost as soon as it kicked-off for the second half, when Davy Klaassen’s drive was too hot to handle for Danny Ward; the unfortunate ‘keeper buffeting the ball straight into the path of Viktor Fischer who it gobbled up for his brace. Rolo Borell saw fit to remove CM Craig Roddan at this juncture replacing him with U18s CF Adam Morgan, with Suso moving back to CM and subsequently becoming bypassed in the game.

The classy No10 for Ajax (they must have a mould at the Toekomst Academy), Daavy Klassen added a 4th from the spot after Andre Wisdom’s knee brushed with Fischer’s and the young Dane took a tumble.

The young reds allowed the award of the penalty from inexperienced ref Jeremy Simpson to get the better of them and along with the earlier substitution caused them to lose their discipline and shape which led to Klaassen getting the 5th with 20 minutes still to play and Fischer completing his hat-trick just a minute later.

You would have to have a heart of stone to not feel sorry for Liverpool here, who were clearly not six goals worth of inferior on all but the finishing.

Many people I’ve heard put blame onto referee Jeremy Simpson, but I’d urge people not to do that. Yes, when he looks back on the game there were one or two decisions [I think] he would have called differently but this is a tournament for developing officials as well as players, so we must allow for one or two errors on their part too.

A big thank-you to everyone who went over to St. Helens yesterday, you made it a special night in spite of the result and I’m sure the lads appreciate your support. Also, want to say I’m proud of all the players for the fine displays they’ve treated us to throughout this year’s inaugural competition.

Please pop back to the Elite Development Blog later as I’m going to put player ratings up. Your reading the blog is greatly appreciated.

Matte Lever (15/03/12)
      @EliteDevLFC
      mooki3
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #206: Mar 16, 2012 02:29:17 pm
      Hi, btw!! First (actually 2nd now I guess...) post, I'm Mooki3, obsessed by Liverpool and totally obsessed with our Reserve side and Academy (I run the blog that's taken from). Anyway, looks like you all have stuff to say about the subjects I love; look forward to chatting with you all!!

Quick Reply