Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton

Read 4950 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton
      Mar 16, 2012 01:02:32 pm
      Liverpool veteran Jamie Carragher believes Steven Gerrard can now lay claim to being the club's all-time greatest player - and the second-best midfielder ever produced by England.

Gerrard underlined his enduring brilliance with a hat-trick in Tuesday's 3-0 win over arch-rivals Everton.

The 31-year-old, who memorably led the Reds to Champions League glory in 2005, has been the heartbeat of the club, and its chief inspiration, for well over a decade.

Carragher feels his performances, when set in their context, now eclipse those of some of the club's most revered players.

Carragher told the Daily Telegraph: "Because of what he has done for the club, I believe he is the best.

"[Kenny] Dalglish, [Graeme] Souness and Ian Rush all played together in a great team, but because football is a team game it's been harder for Stevie because he's not always played in great teams.

"For me, his performance in 2006 FA Cup final stands out even more than Ian Rush in the 1986 FA Cup final and he's also regularly produced it in the major events such as the 2005 Champions League final."

Gerrard was controversially overlooked for the role of England captain last month and Carragher believes that was a mistake.

He said: "I was shocked and surprised by that decision.

"Scott Parker is a great player and everyone respects him, but Steven Gerrard should be England captain.

"He was captain in the World Cup, has been one of the best players for his country for 10 years and there was no debate to be had for me."

Carragher believes only Sir Bobby Charlton, England's record goalscorer, stands above Gerrard in terms of the country's greatest midfielders.

The former England defender said: "We all know he's in the upper echelons when it comes to Liverpool players, with most having him either first or second behind Kenny Dalglish, but when you look at a list of the greats to play in English football I'd say he is second only to Bobby Charlton in terms of the best midfielders there have ever been."

Source = The Daily Telegraph.

So, do you guys agree with him being the second greatest since Sir Bobby Charlton, or would you say someone else has been better? Also would you agree that Gerrard has been better than Dalglish over the years?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton
      Reply #1: Mar 16, 2012 01:58:41 pm
      It's always fun to compare players from different generations but personally, I think it is pretty impossible to compare a modern day player to one from so long ago. It's a completely different game now. Where Gerrard would have been kicked all over the park back then, Charlton would be left dizzy by the pace of the modern game. Few could argue with the opinion that both are / were great great players but they can't be compared really.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Gerrard Liverpools greatest and Second best English midfielder since Charlton
      Reply #2: Mar 16, 2012 02:59:09 pm
      Ignoring the obvious differences between then and now (Ball, pitches, tackles, pace of the game etc)I would think that's about right. The only ones who I can think of who might also get a mention are Gascoigne, Beckham, Robson and Hoddle, none of whom were quite in the same class as Charlton or Gerrard imo.(certainly Beckham wasn't )

When you think that Charlton always drank whisky before a game to calm his nerves and smoked 20 a day it brings it home how things have changed. 

For club I think only Souness runs him close.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #3: Mar 16, 2012 04:10:14 pm
      Imagine Gerrard in the 87 side.....
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 16, 2012 04:17:52 pm
      Him and Scholes, as much as I loathe the Ginger manc, are the two best English midfielders that I've ever watched. Different players, but both are absolute world class. The only difference is Gerrard has had to carry some sh*te teams at times, while Scholes was always surrounded by good to great players, although he helped get some of them there, to be fair.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: Mar 16, 2012 04:26:02 pm
      I don't disagree with Carra at all here. While I've never seen the older players, I have obviously watched Gerrard a lot. The way Gerrard commands a team - even poor ones - is incredible, and I've never seen one individual player make the other 10 guys around him on the pitch better. I made a joke during the Oldham FA Cup game on here that "When Gerrard is on the ball, it's almost like there's hope in the world." When Stevie G is playing for Liverpool, there isn't a team that we can't beat. I believe that even though it might be a bit of exaggeration. He's truly a special, special player. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Mar 16, 2012 04:32:04 pm
      Him and Scholes, as much as I loathe the Ginger manc, are the two best English midfielders that I've ever watched. Different players, but both are absolute world class. The only difference is Gerrard has had to carry some sh*te teams at times, while Scholes was always surrounded by good to great players, although he helped get some of them there, to be fair.

Yeah, I forgot about the ginger tw*t. Excellent player, but another that doesn't quite match Stevie imo.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Mar 16, 2012 07:27:24 pm
      Gascoigne, Beckham, Robson and Hoddle

Certainly agree Robson and Hoddle were phenomenal midfielders.

But I just can't get my head around this obsession people have with deciding which was the best.

They were all fabulous players, each in their own way, as is Gerrard, as was Kenny.

But, to get to the point that I think Jamie was trying to put across, right now Gerrard is on another planet to Parker, and should be captain of England.

But as, Jamie doesn't say, he should just retire anyway and boss it for Liverpool!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Mar 16, 2012 07:38:35 pm

Different game.

Different speed, different fitness levels , different everything.

Leadership qualities ?

Make a list and even a Scum supporter cant get past Gerrard.

Stevie.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #9: Mar 16, 2012 09:06:33 pm
      Had a manc on one of my other message boards pitch a fit because Carra didn't get on his knees and bow before Scholes. I had to laugh. To think that Carragher would ever consider putting a United player ahead of Stevie, on the principle alone, is laughable.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: Mar 16, 2012 11:14:47 pm
      Can't really compare players now to the players before. I can't be saying that Gerrard is better than Gazza, Charlton or Robson but then say Messi cannot be compared to Maradona or Pele.

But I tell you what, though, in my opinion, Gerrard is probably the best English footballer in the last 10-15 years.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #11: Mar 17, 2012 08:12:21 am
      As said plenty of times its impossible to compare players of two different era's.. I didnt watch Charlton play on a regular basis week in week out so i find it impossible to judge him as a player.(Even though he was obviously brilliant i never watched him myself on a regular basis) You cant make judgements by records on paper or from odd bits of video footage.

The one thing ill say though, is that if Charlton was better than Stevie week in week out then he must have been some player..

I said the other day we are lucky to be witnessing a player like Stevie in his career, someone that the next generations of Liverpool fans will be reading about and watching DVD's (or whatever they watch footage on long after we are gone).. The man is a superb player and now definatly up there with Kenny as the best to pull on this shirt in my opinion.

For me Gazza and the Ginger manc are the two other best England midfielders of the last 20 years but Stevie is better than both.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Mar 17, 2012 09:03:19 am
      It's always fun to compare players from different generations but personally, I think it is pretty impossible to compare a modern day player to one from so long ago. It's a completely different game now. Where Gerrard would have been kicked all over the park back then, Charlton would be left dizzy by the pace of the modern game. Few could argue with the opinion that both are / were great great players but they can't be compared really.

I'm with you on this Rep but I think, as Ayrton points out, this is more a case of Jamie pointing out that picking any midfielder as Captain of England, ahead of Stevie, is F***ing ridiculous.

For what it's worth I'd never have the best of any Manc ahead of the best of any Red, in any position... the exception maybe being Best.   ;D
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Mar 17, 2012 09:50:06 am
      I'm with you on this Rep but I think, as Ayrton points out, this is more a case of Jamie pointing out that picking any midfielder as Captain of England, ahead of Stevie, is f**king ridiculous.

For what it's worth I'd never have the best of any Manc ahead of the best of any Red, in any position... the exception maybe being Best.   ;D

Charlton 106 caps 49 Goals
      Stevie     90   caps 19 Goals

Figures for the manc are better but Stevie still better!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #14: Mar 17, 2012 10:12:13 am
      Never rated Charlton, for me he did an acceptable job no more no less. Technically the game has been transformed since the days of the heavywieght ball and heavywieght players in Charltons midfield role.
      Got to agree with mouse here about George Best, unfortunately he was a joy to watch - the magic in those touches and his inspired runs would not be out of place in any modern footballing side across the globe.
      The same statement would not apply to Charlton as readilly.

Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: Mar 17, 2012 10:24:08 am

Stevie`s in a class of his own, for me his header and running back to the centre spot in Istanbul epitomises Steven Gerrard and the ethos passed on from Shanks , Bob , Joe ,Kenny  its what  Liverpool Football Club is all about 

The only guy I think who came close was Gazza I thought he was a genius on a football pitch ,but  a complete pr**k off it 

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Mar 17, 2012 10:53:53 am
      Charlton 106 caps 49 Goals
      Stevie     90   caps 19 Goals

I don't know why you've quoted me mate but comparing stats and players from different eras mean nothing. If you'd read my post you'd have seen I've referenced just that.  8)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #17: Mar 17, 2012 01:10:20 pm

He may of been a good player, but I will never put that F***ing pisshead ahead of the likes of Dalglish, Gerrard or Barnes. At least when they were fit they turned up for EVERY game. They weren't off pissing their career up a wall or shagging some Miss World. Just my opinion like!

If Gerrard could win a league for us, he will easily sit alongside Dalglish and Barnes and imo is the GREATEST English midfielder of all time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #18: Mar 17, 2012 01:39:50 pm
      He may of been a good player, but I will never put that F***ing pisshead ahead of the likes of Dalglish, Gerrard or Barnes. At least when they were fit they turned up for EVERY game. They weren't off pissing their career up a wall or shagging some Miss World. Just my opinion like!

If Gerrard could win a league for us, he will easily sit alongside Dalglish and Barnes and imo is the GREATEST English midfielder of all time.
      He was a shadow of his glory days for sure and turned into a pitiful alcho which ended his playing days prematurely, but in his prime he was the best.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #19: Mar 17, 2012 01:49:57 pm
      He was a shadow of his glory days for sure and turned into a pitiful alcho which ended his playing days prematurely, but in his prime he was the best.

No Pele though!!

And what was Best's comment about him? No one ever drags up his racist comment do they? F***ing mancs!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: Mar 17, 2012 01:56:26 pm
      What I like about Stevie, though, he's a great person off the pitch and IMO is a perfect role model for kids.

I mean, there are times where you've heard about this player being one of the best but is a complete pr**k off the pitch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #21: Mar 17, 2012 01:57:34 pm
      What I like about Stevie, though, he's a great person off the pitch and IMO is a perfect role model for kids.

He even chins mancs, what is not to love!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #22: Mar 17, 2012 02:06:47 pm
      No Pele though!!

And what was Best's comment about him? No one ever drags up his racist comment do they? F***ing mancs!!
      The name Pele went through my mind as I typed and the thought that if Best had concentrated on his game instead of drinking himself into oblivion, he had the ability to become a very skilled player not a million miles short of the great mans' magical play.
      Can't comment on any racial issues about him because I don't have any knowledge - not saying he did or didn't I don't know.
      F***ing mancs is correct. 

Quick Reply