Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Happy 120th birthday LFC!

Read 5275 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Happy 120th birthday LFC!
      Reply #23: Mar 15, 2012 08:02:24 pm
      Happy Birthday to the Greatest Sporting Institute on the Planet.

I'd be lost without you.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #24: Mar 15, 2012 08:29:55 pm
      Interesting from the offal.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/120-years-of-lfc-not-quite-yet

For those of you who were planning to celebrate 120 years of Liverpool Football Club today, we're about to spoil the party.

That's because today - contrary to popular belief - is not our birthday.

Instead you'll have to wait until June 3.

LFC museum curator Stephen Done explains: "People think the club was formed on March 15 but it wasn't. March 15 is incredibly important but it is not when the club was born.

"That day is important because it was the day Everton Football Club, as we now know it, booted out the people who became Liverpool Football Club. That was the critical moment when Everton broke up.

"On that day there was an Everton general meeting during which a man called George Mahon, one of the directors, was voted in to be the new chairman, having decided that John Houlding was not a fit and proper person to run the club.

"Mahon went over and sat in the chairman's chair and was about to then proceed with the meeting when John Houlding burst through the doors. And there was a stand-off. It's real, real drama. It would make great TV."

The disagreement had been years in the making.

Season ticket for Liverpool Football Club's first campaign

In 1885, Houlding, then owner of Everton Football Club, bought the land for an Anfield stadium from a friend, Joseph Orrell, so that his team could play there. An important aspect of their deal concerned a strip of the land on the plot where the modern day Centenary Stand is now in place.

Done continues: "Joseph Orrell said, 'At some point I might want to put a road on this plot of land and if I decide that a road goes there, you've got to pay for the costs of this road. That's part of the deal.'

"So things went amicably until 1891, when Orrell said, 'I want that road built now' and Houlding went to a meeting of the Everton board. The letter he read informed the board that Orrell wanted his road building and they'd have to move the stand they'd built on that land.

Liverpool's first ever shirt: The Reds played in blue

"The board of directors, led by George Mahon, believed they could get a better deal elsewhere and it would cost them too much to move the stand. So they proposed moving to a piece of land on the other side of Stanley Park called Mere Green. They could have that for £50 a year so they thought, 'Why don't we just move down there and build a new stadium?'"

On March 15, after a stand-up row, Mahon decided to split with Houlding and his close advisers Edwin Berry, William Barclay and John McKenna. Mahon was to be the chairman of a new Everton Football Club and he was going to take his team over to Mere Green and build the stadium which would later come to be known as Goodison Park.

"One - but not the only - important date as far as Liverpool fans are concerned is March 30, 1892," says Stephen. "In the Neptune Hotel, in Clayton Square, Berry, Barclay, McKenna and Houlding sat down and drew up the rules of a brand new football club.

The 'rules' of Liverpool Football Club, drawn up by Houlding

"And they knew that they had to change the name from Everton because Mahon and his lot wanted to be Everton. So they had this idea for our club as we know it now. And rule one was: 'That the club be called Liverpool Football Club and shall play under the Rules of the Football Association.'

"So you could say March 30 was the key date. However, it's all very well doing that, but the club had to be registered and the funding had to be gathered and so on. And so on June 3, 1892, the Board of Trade finally sent a certificate saying that the club formally constituted a company. It could now trade.

"And so the birth certificate we have for the new club that would play at Anfield says June 3."

Well the queen celebrates her birthday on a different day.
      Xavier79
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 17 
      Reply #25: Mar 15, 2012 09:27:33 pm
      Happy birthday LFC!

To another 120 years!

(thanks to Bilbao for the present!)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Mar 15, 2012 09:35:06 pm
      Happy birthday to the greatest club in the universe.

Life would be pretty dull without you!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #27: Mar 15, 2012 09:57:58 pm
      Thank you LFC for giving me some of the best times of my life. There are no bad times as a Liverpool fan because even at the low points I know we will be back at the top again before too long.

And when I go through really tough times, that bird is always there for me to lean on. When I'm low our club is there to help me through. I'm crying typing this, for lots of reasons, but LFC, I love you.
      YNWA101
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #28: Mar 15, 2012 11:00:40 pm
      happy birthday YNWA
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #29: Mar 16, 2012 08:53:22 am
      Priveleged to share my birthday with my 2nd favourite bird!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #30: Mar 17, 2012 05:11:31 am
      HBD LFC WNWA :D
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #31: Mar 17, 2012 06:31:59 am

No matter which one you loved the most, one word we shared...LIVERPOOL!

HAPPY 120th BIRTHDAY LIVERPOOL FC.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #32: Mar 17, 2012 10:08:18 am
      The thing is even with inflation being the way it has over 120yrs , Goodison is still only worth £8,000

Lets not forget we have 2 more birthdays this year 3rd of June when we were founded

And September 1st when we played our first ever game .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #33: Mar 17, 2012 11:08:58 am
      Interesting from the offal.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/120-years-of-lfc-not-quite-yet

For those of you who were planning to celebrate 120 years of Liverpool Football Club today, we're about to spoil the party.

That's because today - contrary to popular belief - is not our birthday.

Instead you'll have to wait until June 3.

LFC museum curator Stephen Done explains: "People think the club was formed on March 15 but it wasn't. March 15 is incredibly important but it is not when the club was born.

"That day is important because it was the day Everton Football Club, as we now know it, booted out the people who became Liverpool Football Club. That was the critical moment when Everton broke up.

"On that day there was an Everton general meeting during which a man called George Mahon, one of the directors, was voted in to be the new chairman, having decided that John Houlding was not a fit and proper person to run the club.

"Mahon went over and sat in the chairman's chair and was about to then proceed with the meeting when John Houlding burst through the doors. And there was a stand-off. It's real, real drama. It would make great TV."

The disagreement had been years in the making.

Season ticket for Liverpool Football Club's first campaign

In 1885, Houlding, then owner of Everton Football Club, bought the land for an Anfield stadium from a friend, Joseph Orrell, so that his team could play there. An important aspect of their deal concerned a strip of the land on the plot where the modern day Centenary Stand is now in place.

Done continues: "Joseph Orrell said, 'At some point I might want to put a road on this plot of land and if I decide that a road goes there, you've got to pay for the costs of this road. That's part of the deal.'

"So things went amicably until 1891, when Orrell said, 'I want that road built now' and Houlding went to a meeting of the Everton board. The letter he read informed the board that Orrell wanted his road building and they'd have to move the stand they'd built on that land.

Liverpool's first ever shirt: The Reds played in blue

"The board of directors, led by George Mahon, believed they could get a better deal elsewhere and it would cost them too much to move the stand. So they proposed moving to a piece of land on the other side of Stanley Park called Mere Green. They could have that for £50 a year so they thought, 'Why don't we just move down there and build a new stadium?'"

On March 15, after a stand-up row, Mahon decided to split with Houlding and his close advisers Edwin Berry, William Barclay and John McKenna. Mahon was to be the chairman of a new Everton Football Club and he was going to take his team over to Mere Green and build the stadium which would later come to be known as Goodison Park.

"One - but not the only - important date as far as Liverpool fans are concerned is March 30, 1892," says Stephen. "In the Neptune Hotel, in Clayton Square, Berry, Barclay, McKenna and Houlding sat down and drew up the rules of a brand new football club.

The 'rules' of Liverpool Football Club, drawn up by Houlding

"And they knew that they had to change the name from Everton because Mahon and his lot wanted to be Everton. So they had this idea for our club as we know it now. And rule one was: 'That the club be called Liverpool Football Club and shall play under the Rules of the Football Association.'

"So you could say March 30 was the key date. However, it's all very well doing that, but the club had to be registered and the funding had to be gathered and so on. And so on June 3, 1892, the Board of Trade finally sent a certificate saying that the club formally constituted a company. It could now trade.

"And so the birth certificate we have for the new club that would play at Anfield says June 3."

So in effect we have to thank George Mahon for sitting his fat arse in the chairmans chair, and praise the rest of the board for siding with him, had he not become chairman then the stand-off might never have happened, no wonder their called the 'Bitters',

Mr Orrell deserves some credit too, for demanding he has his road built, and forcing Mahon and his 'bitter' cronies to F**k off to Mere Green,

Thankyou thankyou thankyou Messers, Berry, Barclay and Mckenna, you have given millions of people sheer and utter pleasure for 120 yrs by founding the greatest football club on the planet,

i sit here thinking how priviledged i am to have LFC in my life, for next to seeing my babies being born is the next best thing in my life, beers,money and the missus follow.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012 02:26:13 pm by ayrton77 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Mar 17, 2012 11:11:31 am
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Oops did it again ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would you fix it for me please Ayrton  ;D

Thanks mate
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #35: Mar 17, 2012 11:30:34 am
      Happy Birthday to My beloved LFC.

Again, its an honor to be a Liverpool Fan. The Best thing ever happened to me. My Love for LFC is just increasing day by day, second by second.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #36: Mar 17, 2012 11:50:01 am
      Happy Birthday to the Best Club in the World!!!

League title next year would be nice ;)
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #37: Mar 17, 2012 11:52:15 am
       :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap: :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1: :food-smiley-005:
      happy birthday to you..... and so near paddies day, there is a meaning in that somewhere.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #38: Mar 17, 2012 01:55:46 pm

Happy Birthday Liverpool FC - 120 Years of leading the way!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #39: Mar 17, 2012 02:26:35 pm
      xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Oops did it again ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would you fix it for me please Ayrton  ;D

Thanks mate

Done! ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #40: Mar 17, 2012 10:20:17 pm
      OMG I can't believe I missed LFC's 120th birthday! what a historic journey it has been on since 1892! Many happy retuens Liverpool Football Club!!!! now let's look forward to the next 120 years :P
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #41: Mar 17, 2012 11:37:05 pm
                                 :kop5cf8koxp6:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kop5cf8koxp6:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #42: Mar 18, 2012 12:38:06 am
      Thanks Neverton! Your bitterness has paved the way to the birth of the greatest football club in the history.

Quick Reply