Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Luis Suarez claims Liverpool FC want to extend contract

Read 9286 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Re: Luis Suarez claims Liverpool FC want to extend contract
      Reply #46: Mar 20, 2012 02:13:28 pm
      Lot of people being hard on Cardy for his question but I think it's a valid point. I agree with the majority that Luis gets kicked about a lot by players who simply can't handle him but there are also enough moments when I cringe at the way he drops down and rolls around on the deck and I don't believe saying that makes me any less of a fan. That's always been part of his game / character and I'm not about to deny it just because he playes for us now. As for waving the imaginary card, that pisses me off when any player does it.
      Suarez's positives far outweight his negatives but they do exist and Cardy has a perfectly valid point, in my opinion.

Been going on for years and Suarez isn't the first Liverpool player to go down and win free-kicks and roll around pretending to be injured when there is F**k-all wrong with him, so I'm not going to slag Suarez for it. But if we are, make sure you slag off the likes of Gerrard, Hamman, Garcia and all the rest of the Liverpool players of the last ten or more years who are guilty of it too.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #47: Mar 20, 2012 03:17:12 pm
      Suarez gets ridiculously bad press throughout this country. All sly digs and the rest of it. Not a game goes by these days where the commentator doesn't say something like "he's a brilliant footballer, you have to say that much" against Stoke we had "I'm sure it didn't hurt that much" then seconds later he comes off injured.

The fact is very rarely will Suarez dive. Gareth Bale dives, he jumps over players with no contact and goes down. Gerrard and Rooney do it, too.

Suarez goes down under minimal contact. He feels the touch and goes down, often theatrically. He is also fouled throughout the game and stays on his feet for the majority. When he is skinning players the always stick their legs out to try and bring him down, then always try and pull him back. Suarez though will only go down if he feels he has nothing to gain from staying up and only if he has been impeded or tackled fairly. Never seen him chuck himself over a trailing leg and go down, never.

To be honest I don't see how this form of gaining an advantage is any different to sh*t defenders like Ryan Shawcross and Robert Huth and their cynical methods of defending. What they do is against the rules of football and they know that. They just know they can get away with it 99% of the time.

Faced with them pulling my shirt all game and it going unnoticed, I'd throw myself to the floor as well, just to make sure you at least have the referees attention.

THIS x1000

The difference between Luis and the Bales/Rooneys/Gerrards of the world is that he's not English. They are and so they get a pass when they dive.

One thing I'll say about waving the yellow card, I don't like it at all. But Luis' philosophy has always been to do ANYTHING to win. Look at his handball in the World Cup. He will put himself and his reputation on the line to win a game. In some cases that can be frustrating to see (his writhing around on the ground and antics like that) but I'd rather have a player who has such will to win, than someone who can't be bothered to even run about.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #48: Mar 20, 2012 03:21:07 pm
      Been going on for years and Suarez isn't the first Liverpool player to go down and win free-kicks and roll around pretending to be injured when there is F**k-all wrong with him, so I'm not going to slag Suarez for it. But if we are, make sure you slag off the likes of Gerrard, Hamman, Garcia and all the rest of the Liverpool players of the last ten or more years who are guilty of it too.

I'm not slagging Suarez off, I said his pros far outweigh his cons.

Pretty much all top level footballers take dives but Luis is a bit of a drama queen with it and that makes me cringe at time, as I said. Torres used to back into players, waiting for them to touch him then drop like a sack of sh*t but I still loved him when he was here.

Sorry for not being a super fan. I'll don my rose tinted specs and climb up on that high horse with you, eh?

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Mar 20, 2012 10:27:06 pm
      Sorry for not being a super fan. I'll don my rose tinted specs and climb up on that high horse with you, eh?

My specs are red tinted!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #50: Mar 21, 2012 12:12:40 pm
      THIS x1000

The difference between Luis and the Bales/Rooneys/Gerrards of the world is that he's not English.
      Bale is Welsh and Stevie is Scouse...not sure where SHrek is from...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Mar 21, 2012 12:17:14 pm

The swamp.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #52: Mar 21, 2012 01:33:57 pm
      Far far away land
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #53: Mar 21, 2012 01:47:58 pm
      Extend his contract then go find him a strike partner, Tevez would do me, him and Luis would scare the sh*t out of defenders and not only for their looks.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #54: Mar 21, 2012 03:13:44 pm

Fair point. I'll change my approach because nationalities are complicated. Those players are white. Luis is Hispanic and therefore branded a diver.

If Gareth Bale had darker skin he would be judged differently.

(I'm not trying to bring racism onto this, because it's not about that. Rather, it's assumptions/perceptions about culture)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #55: Mar 21, 2012 03:27:07 pm
      Luis' declaration that he his happy at the club has a positive which I don't think has been touched on yet - it will help the club in the Summer to buy the kind of players that will be able to step into the first team and help us challenge in the next few seasons. I like to think that there will be players who want to play alongside him in the same team because they know how good he is and what he can do to opposition defences.

Having said that, I don't know if any contract discussions have already began or if and when they will take place.

I had no doubts that he was happy at the club and wants to stay.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #56: Mar 21, 2012 03:43:21 pm
      What claim? If Kenny's happy with his services and surely almost all of us are f**king happy, there's an extension for sure and why this 8 game ban even mentioned. That lad served his ban just put it to rest. F**king media are making me angry.

He felt the love from us and he wants to stay, end of.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #57: Mar 21, 2012 04:17:14 pm
      BBC can say what they like, he's staying.

Quite funny actually, all the racist stuff that the BBC made the most of, has actually brought Suarez and the club closer together and made him realise what a fantastic club Liverpool FC is.

So for that BBC, thanks :P
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #58: Mar 21, 2012 04:30:54 pm
      You have to remember he is probably the most fouled player in the EPL. But he does win us free kicks and penalties. He is usually the catylist behind most of our goals.Hope he can stay around for a long time, but we do need another striker as Carrol is not working out.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #59: Mar 21, 2012 06:35:40 pm
      ive not been the biggest suarez fan all season, not that he goes down alot as they all do, not becouse he doesnt score as many as i thought he would. its becouse he gets his head down sometimes and doesnt look up until its to late. yet since stevie has come back ive noticed that he is doing all these things has now he has somebody who has a footballing brain at the side of him to match. really glad he wants to stay just now hope they get a couple of intellagent players to play with him and stevie and then the EPL will have a team of quick attacking scoring genius !!!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #60: Mar 21, 2012 06:49:27 pm
      Good to watch Luis play,you can never predict what he,s gonna do next and that makes him special,the fact that he wants to stay and take everything the press say about him speaks volumes to me about his character .........sign here Luis !

Quick Reply