Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool Senior Cup and Lancashire Senior Cup

Read 2569 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Liverpool Senior Cup and Lancashire Senior Cup
      Jun 18, 2012 09:10:58 am
      I got to thinking to the times when we used to play for the Liverpool Senior Cup and the Lancashire Senior Cup, this was in the 1950s and 60s. Now in those days more often than not we would put the first team out and I will mention Ian St John to show what I mean. We signed the Saint from Motherwell for 35,000 quid in May 1961 for a club record fee and his first game was against Everton at Goodison in the Liverpool Senior Cup Final and the Saint got a hat-trick. What I would like to know is do L.F.C. still play in those 2 competitions and are they still going? In those days we only had the league and F.A.Cup so these other minor competitions were used for a bit of extra revenue and to keep interest in the club if things were not going too well in the league and F.A.Cup.
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2012 11:11:47 am by MsGerrard »
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Liverpool Senior Cup and Lancashier Senior Cup
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2012 09:15:52 am
      The problem is mate, now we're in European competitions, with all the travelling, it would be a huge strain on the players and there'd unfortunately be a drop in performance somewhere down the line with the heavy fixture list.

The revenue would be minimal now anyway, especially in a footballing world controlled by money.

It might be a good idea if the reserves could be entered for this, or one or two of the youth squad could be used for these sorts of competitions.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2012 09:21:57 am
      The problem is mate, now we're in European competitions, with all the travelling, it would be a huge strain on the players and there'd unfortunately be a drop in performance somewhere down the line with the heavy fixture list.

The revenue would be minimal now anyway, especially in a footballing world controlled by money.

It might be a good idea if the reserves could be entered for this, or one or two of the youth squad could be used for these sorts of competitions.
      I was not advocating that we should be in these competitions but just asking are they still going and do we still enter them at any level with the youth team or under 18s for example.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2012 09:24:46 am
      I was not advocating that we should be in these competitions but just asking are they still going and do we still enter them at any level with the youth team or under 18s for example.

Oh, I see Billy. Apologises.

I have no idea if we're still participating in these competitions. I haven't heard anything on the official site about it so I doubt we are competing.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2012 10:32:29 am
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,519 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2012 10:35:07 am
      It's the reserves who play in this now, I know the final has been played in pre-season in the past.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool Senior Cup and Lancashire Senior Cup
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2012 09:06:07 pm
      It's the reserves who play in this now, I know the final has been played in pre-season in the past.
      Thanks for that and I am sure you are right about the final being in the pre season.StJohn signed in the May and as I said his first game for us was against Everton In the final of the Liverpool Senior Club .
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Jun 18, 2012 10:00:42 pm
      LFC squad list from the 2004 final:

Liverpool    Willis, Woods, D.Smith, Peltier (Holmes 113), O’Donnell, Mannix, Guthrie, Kelly, Noon, Platt, Townley (Barnett 71)
      Unused Subs    Lancaster, F.Smith, Threlfall

Beat the bitters 9-8 on pens.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2012 09:23:24 am
       Thanks for that exiled,the sad part about that team is what has happened to them.
         Apologies to Cas,it appears I spelt Lancashire wrong in the original post and she edited,I jumped in feet first and gave her a gentle bollocking.I suppose that is another romance gone down the gurglar.SORRY CAS.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Jul 11, 2012 09:11:30 pm
      Thanks for that exiled,the sad part about that team is what has happened to them.
         Apologies to Cas,it appears I spelt Lancashire wrong in the original post and she edited,I jumped in feet first and gave her a gentle bollocking.I suppose that is another romance gone down the gurglar.SORRY CAS.

Not many people give me a bollocking and get away with it Billy, but I'll let you off  ;)  :lmao:

No worries hun, that's what I'm here for  :hug:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jul 12, 2012 08:12:24 am
       Bloody hell Cas you took a while to reply to my post,I was beginning to think you had divorced me :o ;D

Quick Reply