Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Liverpool's flawed four

Read 3698 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Liverpool's flawed four
      Mar 29, 2012 12:50:26 pm
      It is the best part of half a century since Merseyside's major exports were dubbed 'The Fab Four'. Now, in a city whose global fame owes as much to goals as guitars, another quartet are attracting attention, albeit in unwanted fashion. The gruesome foursome of Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam are more beaten than Beatles. Directly or indirectly, many of Liverpool's failings can be traced back to them.

Liverpool's summer recruits - plus Andy Carroll - have been a huge disappointment

Expenditure increases expectations, a rule that only football managers appear unable to grasp and, after the cash-starved mediocrity of the previous two seasons, Liverpool committed an initial £78.5 million, potentially rising to £84.5 million, for the four failures.

As they find themselves with fewer points than at the equivalent stage of the last two campaigns, it seems expensive regression. That, in turn, reflects poorly on Kenny Dalglish and the whole policy of buying British. If the unanswered question is how that windfall should have been spent, an unarguable conclusion is simply "better".

It is a misguided spending spree that affects not just Liverpool's present but their future. If Dalglish is not trusted with more money by owners Fenway Sports Group, it is understandable. If Liverpool have to sell before they buy in the summer, they must take a hefty hit on supposed investments.

Analyse their failings on the field and most can be attributed to the less-than-fab four. To the fact that none seems to possess the temperament Liverpool require, the ability to prosper under scrutiny which is needed at Anfield. And Liverpool have been poor at home, winning only five league games.

That, in turn, is a consequence of a lack of goals. Luis Suarez is often identified as a culprit but the electric Uruguayan's tally of 12 would be less of an issue if Carroll had 15 or 20. Instead, the target man has a mere six. Now he has been demoted to the bench, Dalglish presumably concluding that, rather than complementing Suarez, he gets in the South American's way. When a side struggles to score, the sight of a £35 million forward among the replacements is an obvious symptom of poor recruitment.

A focus on the strikers, however, obscures the fact the midfielders contribute too few goals. Between them, Downing, Henderson and Adam have five in 110 games this season, and one of those was a penalty. In contrast, the under-used Maxi Rodriguez has four in his limited opportunities and Raul Meireles, shunted out of the back door, managed five in half a season under Dalglish last year. That Downing, a £20 million winger, has neither scored nor created a league goal is an extraordinary embarrassment.

The faith shown in all three calls Dalglish's judgment into doubt. Henderson is Liverpool's most used outfield player with Downing and Adam not far behind. Maxi, Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt have been granted too few starts. That the Dutchman, arguably Liverpool's finest performer last season, was a substitute on the opening day while Carroll, Downing, Adam and Henderson all started seemed unfair. That Bellamy, monumental in the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City, was omitted for the showpiece smacked of favouritism.

Perhaps, for Dalglish, it was a quest for vindication, so his employers could see his signings deliver silverware. To others, it sent out the wrong sort of message: that Liverpool is no longer a meritocracy. The manager's preference is to discuss the side, rather than individuals, but collective responsibility protects the weakest links. And usually, they tend to be his expensive additions.

Moreover, attributing triumphs to the whole team is often incorrect. While, until recent setbacks, the defence was functioning well as a unit, Liverpool have been reliant upon individuals, whether Bellamy, Suarez or Steven Gerrard, for an injection of inspiration, drive or dynamism when attacking. With those notable exceptions, they lack pace going forward: signing four players of at best average speed - even though Dalglish strangely suggested Downing is both quicker and better than he thought when buying him - hardly helped.

Andy Carroll can no longer command a first-team place at Liverpool

It is important to consider the players jettisoned to make way for them. Few tears were shed when Joe Cole was loaned to Lille, but he is enjoying a better season than any of the quartet. More pertinently, the gifted Alberto Aquilani and Meireles, a qualified success at Anfield if not Stamford Bridge, were exiled for lesser talents in Adam and Henderson. The departed duo might have offered more penetrative passing.

The impression is that Dalglish did not believe the Portuguese was capable of shielding the back four. Yet Adam is no defensive midfielder - slow, a poor tackler and with questionable positional sense - while Liverpool appear unsure what Henderson, at fault for goals in the last two games, is. In a department where Gerrard and Lucas are vastly superior to the other alternatives, their injuries have disrupted Liverpool's season. But pricey understudies should have compensated better; instead, it seems the captain reins himself in, given added responsibility because of his colleagues' deficiencies.

It comes at a cost. Gerrard is one of the few matchwinners. Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam lack his capacity to control or determine a game. Despite a combined outlay of almost £80 million, it is doubtful if any have deserved to be Liverpool's man of the match once this season (Downing received the official award in the Carling Cup final, but Martin Skrtel would have been a worthier choice). Were they not at Anfield, it is hard to imagine any of them getting in the top five teams apart from in an injury crisis; in many situations, they would not even merit a place on the bench.

They are reasons, although Liverpool have won one trophy and could yet make it two, that this has been a wasted year in the league and a missed opportunity. The fall-out from the faulty foursome's purchase and poor performance could be considerable. Some fans blame Damien Comolli - although with his greater knowledge of European football, it is probable he also suggested candidates from the continent - but Dalglish is definitely diminished; partly by overseeing their arrival, partly by his rhetoric in defending them and partly by the way others have been elbowed aside to promote players who, simply, are not good enough for Liverpool.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1041734/hubbard:-liverpool's-flawed-four?cc=5739
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Re: Liverpool's flawed four
      Reply #1: Mar 29, 2012 04:34:38 pm
      Buying british is a big mistake unfortunately thats how its turning out. Maxi has performed great, but some of our players we got rid of are performing admirably.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Mar 29, 2012 05:38:12 pm
      My opinion is well known on Adam and Carroll. If it was up to me both players would be gone this Summer. In relation to Downing we massively over paid for the lad.

In general the lad has being a disaster, i kept hearing last season Meireles was cowardly in the tackle well where does that leave Downing. If the right offer came in in the summer id sell.

In relation to Henderson, im really not sure I think there is something there but he has being absolutely woeful in games this season. I might hold onto Henderson depending on what else is available.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #3: Mar 29, 2012 05:56:06 pm
      A focus on the strikers, however, obscures the fact the midfielders contribute too few goals. Between them, Downing, Henderson and Adam have five in 110 games this season, and one of those was a penalty. In contrast, the under-used Maxi Rodriguez has four in his limited opportunities and Raul Meireles, shunted out of the back door, managed five in half a season under Dalglish last year. That Downing, a £20 million winger, has neither scored nor created a league goal is an extraordinary embarrassment.

The faith shown in all three calls Dalglish's judgment into doubt. Henderson is Liverpool's most used outfield player with Downing and Adam not far behind. Maxi, Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt have been granted too few starts. That the Dutchman, arguably Liverpool's finest performer last season, was a substitute on the opening day while Carroll, Downing, Adam and Henderson all started seemed unfair. That Bellamy, monumental in the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City, was omitted for the showpiece smacked of favouritism.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1041734/hubbard:-liverpool's-flawed-four?cc=5739

This is a point that keeps getting overlooked by people who insist we are just a top class striker short of being a great side. If that theory is correct, then why have Downing, Henderson and Adam contributed so little by way of goals and assists? In the very top sides, the wingers and midfielders contribute a whole lot more so it's not simply that we lack a striker who can stick the ball in the net on a regular basis, though one of them would make a big difference, but also that the wide men and midfielders haven't created enough quality chances or scored enough goals.

A return of no assists and no league goals from a winger who cost £20m is a joke. Even Riera got his fair share and cost about £14m less. The same criticism can be made of Henderson, and while Adam has had his fair share of assists, he's also been consistently wasteful, particularly with his set-piece deliveries. Not only that, but as the author says, he's also seriously lacking in defensive awareness and ability (quite slow and he can't tackle for sh!t) which is another weakness with our squad that we would be prone to overlooking if we accepted so readily the "one top quality striker" theory.

The author is right to say these signings have had a major adverse impact on our progress this season. Some of them may improve over time, or given the right players around them, but it shouldn't stop us from looking to strengthen in these same areas of the team. If we don't do that, we won't be winning a title any time soon.
      seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Reply #4: Mar 29, 2012 06:32:00 pm
      Liverpool committed an initial £78.5 million, potentially rising to £84.5 million, for the four failures.

There is no doubt that we payed over the odds for these players but they aren't all bad! Stuart Downing has played really well since the Carling Cup final, Andy Carroll gives 110% every time he plays and actually attracts defenders meaning Suarez ect get more space, Jordan Henderson is young and at times does lack the bottle but he has shown that he has a lot of potential and Charlie Adam played for Blackpool for a reason, he hasnt got the physical attributes to be a premier league player... actually can't defend him anymore as under any sort of pressure he will give the ball away.

IMO these players have quality but they dont have the 'winning mentality' that we expect them to have because they have all come from mid-table teams. I can see Downing, Henderson and even Carroll coming good... eventually

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #5: Mar 29, 2012 07:06:46 pm
      A return of no assists and no league goals from a winger who cost £20m is a joke. Even Riera got his fair share and cost about £14m less.

For me, the problem has less to due with Downing, and more to do with Andy Carrol.  I have seen Downing whip in countless dangerous crosses that flash across the six yard box, but never get turned in because Carrol is sitting on his heels instead of anticipating the cross and getting in front of his marker to turn them home.  Suarez cannot really be blamed for many of these, as he is usually the one dropping deeper to help set up the attack, and cannot be expected to be in 2 places at once. 

For me, Carrol and Adam have been flops and I can no longer defend either one of them.  I have never been a big fan of Adam, but I defended Carrol for a long time and was adamant that he would come good eventually.  However, I just don't think that he has the mentality to become a great goal scorer.  To me, Carrol lacks a few things that most great finishers have:

1.  His touch is appalling and constantly lets him down!!
      2.  His positional sense is poor at best.... great finishers find themselves in the right place at the right time.
      3.  He doesn't have the quickness or pace to get in front of his man regularly enough to finish off the dangerous crosses that Downing in particular has been supplying from the left hand side of the field. 

*** Sadly, even when Carrol does seem to find himself in the right place at the right time, he still manages to miss the target more often than he finds the back of the net!!

For me, Downing and Hendo are keepers...... Carrol and Adam should both be offered up in the summer.  If we can get a combined 15-20M for them 2 this summer then I think we will have done very well. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Mar 29, 2012 07:36:52 pm
      If you go back through successsfull yearsin the 60/70/80s you will find that every player except the goalie could put the ball in the net.For some reason we are not able to do that these days,we just break down when we get near the goal area,while the likes of Roger Hunt and Ian Rush found scoring goals easy, as a team we did not have to rely on just those players to score goals.It is almost as though most of our players have no confidence and would rather lay the ball off and give someone else the responsibility of scoring or missing.We have the same problem when taking a pen,no confidence and I think opposing keepers can sense this.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Mar 29, 2012 07:37:55 pm
      Aint a confidence issue it is a quality issue
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #8: Mar 29, 2012 07:38:27 pm
      For me, the problem has less to due with Downing, and more to do with Andy Carrol.  I have seen Downing whip in countless dangerous crosses that flash across the six yard box, but never get turned in because Carrol is sitting on his heels instead of anticipating the cross and getting in front of his marker to turn them home.   

A valid point.  His numbers would, in all likelihood, look a lot better if say Fernando Lllorente was the player he was serving instead of Andy Carroll. But, given that he hasn't a single league goal or assist to his name so far this season, I don't accept that he's done as well as could reasonably be expected. The number of times he's cut in to shoot but barely troubled the goalie, for instance, doesn't reflect either what he's capable of or what should be accepted. The best players make goals for themselves and put them on a plate for other players.  There are plenty of other players in the team he could be setting up with his ability, not just Big Andy. Downing, like the other three, should be doing a whole lot better, whether it's Andy Carroll we've got up front or Lionel Messi. It doesn't mean I think we should sell him, although he is certainly a potential candidate for that, but he does need to massively up his game.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #9: Mar 29, 2012 07:43:51 pm
      There's no doubt it's the large cost and clear failure of those four  players which has many fans questioning Kenny's ability to get the team back to the top. 

He needs to get his signings right this summer and these four players can be dumped to the bench and told to improve rapidly to get into the team, or else be sold on.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Mar 29, 2012 07:45:41 pm
      Stuart Downing has played really well since the Carling Cup final
      Really?

Andy Carroll gives 110% every time he plays
      Are you serious?

:D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Mar 29, 2012 07:46:55 pm
      Aint a confidence issue it is a quality issue
      corbally have you ever thought of applying for a job as coach at Anfield,I am sure Kenny and our owners would value your superior knowledge,cheers.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Mar 29, 2012 07:51:41 pm
      I hate to say it but they are just not doing enough.

I accept that Andy Carroll has been playing pretty decent in the last few months when he has started but a forward we've spent 35 million on, regardless what anyone says, has to be scoring goals. You don't score goals, you don't win games. Suarez is also technically our forward but he has scored his fair share of goals though he's missed some really good ones as well.

Stewart Downing was brought in to whip in the crosses. He has done that but either one of two things happens, he puts in some very deadly ball, only for no Liverpool players to be there. Or, on the other hand, puts in a sh*t cross when everyone is in there. No assist in the league and no goals in the league is not good enough for a player to be playing for us.

They may both be good covers or squad players at the moment but certainly no where near good enough to be in the starting eleven for a side who wants to be at the top.

And to be honest, I'd actually offload them as well to get better players if the right offer comes in.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Mar 29, 2012 07:52:05 pm
      corbally have you ever thought of applying for a job as coach at Anfield,I am sure Kenny and our owners would value your superior knowledge,cheers.

Aint rocket science what im saying. A better quality striker say as mention above Llorente would have taken some of the chances Carroll missed.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Mar 29, 2012 07:53:16 pm
      I hate to say it but they are just not doing enough.

I accept that Andy Carroll has been playing pretty decent in the last few months when he has started but a forward we've spent 35 million on, regardless what anyone says, has to be scoring goals. You don't score goals, you don't win games. Suarez is also technically our forward but he has scored his fair share of goals though he's missed some really good ones as well.

Stewart Downing was brought in to whip in the crosses. He has done that but either one of two things happens, he puts in some very deadly ball, only for no Liverpool players to be there. Or, on the other hand, puts in a sh*t cross when everyone is in there. No assist in the league and no goals in the league is not good enough for a player to be playing for us.

They may both be good covers or squad players at the moment but certainly no where near good enough to be in the starting eleven for a side who wants to be at the top.

And to be honest, I'd actually offload them as well to get better players if the right offer comes in.

In the games Carroll has supposedly done well in he doesnt even look like scoring
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #15: Mar 29, 2012 08:34:21 pm
      And yet with all these sh*t players we still have a trophy in the bag and a place in the semi final of the other domestic cup. God help the rest of the League when we get some decent players in then?
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #16: Mar 29, 2012 08:36:27 pm
      I suppose we'll keep the fab four and see if they improve above division one standards , i really don't get why we don't use Shelvey more and our youth players ,lets face it they aren't kids are they? if you are good enough you're old enough !, Adam is out for the rest of the season, Hendo runs like hell but doesn't cause problems , Carroll won't get any better without a midfielder /winger to supply him decent balls ...lets face it nobody will buy these players for what we paid for them !
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Mar 29, 2012 08:37:59 pm
      In the games Carroll has supposedly done well in he doesnt even look like scoring

Yes and I know that is not good enough but at the moment, we've won all the games he has started or something like that so I'd rather put him in than not.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Mar 29, 2012 09:05:03 pm
      Again though this focusses on all the negatives. I agree these 4 have been close to disasterous. My opinion on Carroll and Adam is well known and as for Downing, that lad simply isn't LFC material. Henderson has bags of potential, but so does Shelvey and it's annoying they're not sharing game time as only one of them needs to make it, even if it is at the expense of the other. Henderson has far more obvious flaws to his game than Shelvey in my opinion.

The point being that Enrique has been close to, if not the best left back in the country and man of the match for many of our games. Suarez is potentially one of the best players I've had the pleasure to see in a red shirt. Coates has looked exceptionally talented for his age and is without doubt going to progress into a superb centre back and for the money will, in my opinion, prove to be one of the bargains of the past transfer window. Add to that the free capture of Bellamy who has made many regret us ever letting him go has been a great signing! So yes the foursome of £78m have proven to be extremely poor value for money but the foursome of £38m have proven to be extremely good value for money so things do balance themselves out slightly. You could easily argue that the overall value of the signings haven't changed massively it's just our more creative talent has disappointed badly and our midfield has looked ordinary too often and I'm sure we'll address that this summer.

Basically the point of this post is to offer balance rather than weighting arguments with full negativity. You could try to argue we've been incredibly unsuccessful in the European Cup by highlighting only the years we haven't won it and the naive would buy into that theory. Rather than the most successful British club in history, so I do buy into the fact that this summer was a poor group of signings, I don't think it was the unmitigated disaster that is also being painted accross these forums.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #19: Mar 29, 2012 11:18:53 pm
      When I look at the players Kenny has brought in, only Suarez, Enrique, Bellamy and possibly in the future Coates will make the LFC grade.

Adam at £7million, not a disaster. Has his fair share of assists (backup) in my opinion. Downing I believe has ability but has not showed it. Henderson I stick up for but sometimes I wonder why and then £35million man..... Well if he was £7million man then maybe I'd have more faith!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #20: Mar 30, 2012 01:42:19 am
      wow that article is way too long. i can't even begin reading long shithole media articles anymore. more beaten than the beatles? nobody will care about all this beat up in a years time.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #21: Mar 30, 2012 07:45:42 am
      When I look at the players Kenny has brought in, only Suarez, Enrique, Bellamy and possibly in the future Coates will make the LFC grade.

Adam at £7million, not a disaster. Has his fair share of assists (backup) in my opinion. Downing I believe has ability but has not showed it. Henderson I stick up for but sometimes I wonder why and then £35million man..... Well if he was £7million man then maybe I'd have more faith!
      Keep the faith because there is no point on whining over 35m, because there are no refunds. Unless clubs are F***ing stupid. Chelsea cough cough.
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #22: Mar 30, 2012 09:31:34 am
      Where were the big queues from other clubs to try and sign the players we brought in?

Quick Reply