Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Should Gerrard remain Liverpool captain ?

Read 7892 times
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Should Gerrard remain Liverpool captain ?
      Reply #92: Apr 08, 2012 10:00:25 pm
      Downing! He is English, experienced, runs his socks off EVERY game, committed to the cause, never gives up and most of all he is a true example to every single young player out there in the world!
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #93: Apr 08, 2012 10:05:50 pm
      The op post is trying to downplay a manager influence and increase the captains. Simple Gerrard is who kenny wants as captain. If people think this is wrong then it is a mistake by Kenny. Simple as that. At this stage ive seen fsg blamed, comoli blamed, clarke blamed, the players blamed and now its gerrard turn as the captain.

Well the buck stops with the manager.

Seriously, will you ever just stop? Not the thread for your Kenny bashing. Yes, i don't post a lot, and mainly just want to see other peoples opionins but to be quite honest, do you never stop? You're on every thread I read saying the exact same thing!!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #94: Apr 08, 2012 10:13:27 pm
      Downing! He is English, experienced, runs his socks off EVERY game, committed to the cause, never gives up and most of all he is a true example to every single young player out there in the world!

:D

Has to be Adam, most of our successful captains have either been scottish and have dark hair, or come from Blackpool ..... Yeats, Souness, Hanson, Hughes. :)
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #95: Apr 09, 2012 01:20:23 am
      If only Poulsen was still here, he knew how to lead a side... :dunce2:
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #96: Apr 09, 2012 11:32:18 am
      No, he's a poor captain.  Great player but a poor captain.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #97: Apr 09, 2012 12:35:02 pm
      Yeah he's a really poor captain. In Istanbul in 2005 his body language was shocking. He wasn't vocal at all, in fact he did nothing to spur the team on and his head dropped as soon as AC Milan took the lead.....laptops don't significantly emphasize sarcasm do they?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,958 posts | 5013 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #98: Apr 09, 2012 01:14:08 pm
      To answer the op question, YES, unless he is injured and out for some time, as much as i admire Pepe, i don't think he should be skip or vice,he can't really influence from between the sticks,with Carra only a bit part player i'd be inclined to hand the armband to Lucas, firstly as vice and eventually as full captain, in the meantime Agger if fit should be considered.

IN KENNY WE STILL TRUST                     YNWA
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #99: Apr 09, 2012 01:17:01 pm
      Yeah he's a really poor captain. In Istanbul in 2005 his body language was shocking. He wasn't vocal at all, in fact he did nothing to spur the team on and his head dropped as soon as AC Milan took the lead.....laptops don't significantly emphasize sarcasm do they?

The exception and not the rule.  Where is he now whilst the times are tough?  You know when you really look to your captain for inspiration, where is he defending Kenny from negative press or telling the team to buckle down and get results (while leading by example of course)?  Nowhere to be seen is the answer.

Fact is, Steven Gerrard is such a special player that he doesn't need a captain's armband to lift a team.  It is wasted on him, give it to a player who actually rises to the challenge of being Liverpool captain and not someone who rises to the challenge of turning a particular game on it's head if he feels like it or if the stage is big enough.  I want someone to give 100% against all opposition.

If we're doing hypotheticals, I'd bet my bottom dollar that had Djimi Traore worn the captain's armband that match, Gerrard would've still put in a top class performance like he did.  We all know he's a superb player (so does he) and we all know there's a massive ego attached to him, we're playing into his hands by stroking it.

Perhaps you could cast your mind back to the interview he gave after the game where he admitted that he "didn't believe" the team could go on and win the match (not captain behaviour in my book, might be in other people's but I can only speak for myself), his own admission that he's not vocal enough or countless other references/observations.

Too many people are far too quick to draw erroneous conclusions (ie. Gerrard is a great player, therefore he's a great captain).
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #100: Apr 09, 2012 01:19:00 pm
      Think Dagger would be a good replacement, in no way am I asking for him to not be captain, as I think he has shown over the years that he CAN lead by example, just as others have said - needs to be more vocal, Hendo is far more vocal than him! Maybe it's because he's used to us underperforming he doesn't really feel he can motivate players? Dagger for captain when Stevie steps down from it/retires though. The Dane always is very composed and shows great determination and spirit (staying here when it was thought Hodgson wanted him gone - he could've just gone looking for first team football). Not only this, he is very talented not only in defending but also with the ball, very underrated player
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #101: Apr 09, 2012 03:14:50 pm
      Stupid silly thread.

Should Gerrard be captain? Obviously!

Why the F**k shouldn't he??

Quick Reply