Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Mid-table signings = Mid-table team

Read 2986 times
      seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Mid-table signings = Mid-table team
      Apr 09, 2012 10:23:44 pm
      This is not a doom and gloom, lets blame the flawed four post

A lot has been made of Liverpools failed signings under Kenny Dalglish but no-one has really looked at why they have under-performed. For me, it is the fact that we have signed good players from average teams. This means that, firstly, these players are not used to the pressure that comes with playing for a club of liverpools stature and, secondly, dont know how to perform consistently against teams that come to Anfield "up for it" as its a big game for them.

I think Carroll (Newcastle), Downing (Aston Villa) and Adam (Blackpool) have all been shocked at how much different and how much more difficult it is to play for liverpool than there former clubs. Its like a rabbit in the headlights at times when there trying to break down teams at Anfield. I think eventually we will see Downing make the step up and maybe Carroll (definatly Henderson and Coates IMO) but i think Charlie Adam will only be a squad player because i think he lacks key attributes (pace, stamina)

What are your views on why Dalglishes signings havn't worked as we would have liked and will they come good?
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Re: Mid-table signings = Mid-table team
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2012 04:45:37 pm
      Downing is scared of his own shadow and is not a big club player. This doesnt show up in his moneyball stats.

Adam had the team built around him at Blackpool - take that away or play him in an unfamiliar position and his game suffers terribly - again stats dont take acount of the players surrounding him.

Henderson - constantly played out of position and is young - had a dip in form at Sunderland which he struggled to cope with but will come good.

Carroll - also young, has been partly mismanaged in personal terms and in terms of tactics which havent played to his strengths at all. Confidence broken at an early stage and has now slipped into an unprofessional lifestyle. Again didnt show up in his stats.

The reason they havent worked out is because Comolli coouldnt use stats as well as Rafa and because Kenny is better at managing high quality players like himself.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2012 04:49:31 pm
      Erm. We got a match coming.

So we should put aside the negativity for once and support the team as one xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Bier
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2012 04:50:52 pm
      For every mid table team player that didn't succeed, you could pick one that did. We just picked the wrong ones.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2012 05:17:41 pm
      Carroll looked good at the start of the season and I believe has we stayed  with him he might be doing better but I still hold faith for him and I want to see him and Suarez up front next season. He will get good.

Downing is massively improving all the time, he is using his pace to fly past defenders and his crossing is improving. Might not live up to the price tag. But for me, another player that I would like to see in the first team next season.

I hear alot about Henderson's potential but I just don't see it. Maybe he needs to go out on loan  or sit on our bench next season.

Adam was a top class signing before Christmas but he is one that I can see leaving in the summer because I can see us getting our money back. Would like to see him as a squad player but if he is moved on I won't be too sad.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2012 05:37:52 pm
      Carroll looked good at the start of the season and I believe has we stayed  with him he might be doing better but I still hold faith for him and I want to see him and Suarez up front next season. He will get good.

Downing is massively improving all the time, he is using his pace to fly past defenders and his crossing is improving. Might not live up to the price tag. But for me, another player that I would like to see in the first team next season.

I hear alot about Henderson's potential but I just don't see it. Maybe he needs to go out on loan  or sit on our bench next season.

Adam was a top class signing before Christmas but he is one that I can see leaving in the summer because I can see us getting our money back. Would like to see him as a squad player but if he is moved on I won't be too sad.

Adam, top class when and when did Carroll look good, Downing has looked bad all season and was sh*te again at the weekend. Only signing ive hope for is Henderson
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2012 06:27:24 pm
      Charlie Adam a top class signing??? Are you watching a different Charlie Adam? He's been poor for most of the season!!

Stewart Downing is useless and lazy and the less said about Andy Carroll the better!!

I do however have faith that Jordan Henderson will prove a success, providing he isnt constantly played out of position!!  He has lots of potential but will need another season at least!!!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2012 06:36:26 pm
      Charlie Adam a top class signing??? Are you watching a different Charlie Adam? He's been poor for most of the season!!

Stewart Downing is useless and lazy and the less said about Andy Carroll the better!!

I do however have faith that Jordan Henderson will prove a success, providing he isnt constantly played out of position!!  He has lots of potential but will need another season at least!!!

Hendo being a success?? atleast adam had a great season for blackpool, carroll had a great spell for newcastle. Downing was good at boro's and Villa. so i get it why we signed them. What i dont get is why the hell did we pay 18m for hendo. He never stood out for sunderland, he doesnt have one special ability that makes him stand out from rest of our midfielders. The only thing going for him is that he is young and everybody says he will come good in his time. He won't. A raw talent will show you glimpses if what he is capable of.

i honestly cant remember Hendo having a real good game for us. He will deliver a one good pass in whole game and people is gonna grab that moment and justify his purchase.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2012 08:36:21 am
      For every mid table team player that didn't succeed, you could pick one that did.

You've hit the nail on the head Bier.

Let's look at the "top" team in the league...

Their last four signings, from other Premier League clubs - Phil Jones (Blackburn); Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Chris Smalling (Fulham) and Antonio Valencia (Wigan)...

The thread "title" could just as easily read - "Mid-table signings = Top of the table team". There are many reasons why a player will or won't be a hit; I just don't believe what club they came from is one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2012 10:15:50 am
      You've hit the nail on the head Bier.

Let's look at the "top" team in the league...

Their last four signings, from other Premier League clubs - Phil Jones (Blackburn); Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Chris Smalling (Fulham) and Antonio Valencia (Wigan)...

Also these 'mid table' players were integrated into an already winning side whereas our 'mid table' players have had to come in and hit the ground running after a major squad overhaul in a side that finished the previous season in 7th.

I still maintain that some of these players will play a part in our success over the next few seasons when we add players this summer.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2012 10:36:45 am
      Hendo being a success?? atleast adam had a great season for blackpool, carroll had a great spell for newcastle. Downing was good at boro's and Villa. so i get it why we signed them. What i dont get is why the hell did we pay 18m for hendo. He never stood out for sunderland, he doesnt have one special ability that makes him stand out from rest of our midfielders. The only thing going for him is that he is young and everybody says he will come good in his time. He won't. A raw talent will show you glimpses if what he is capable of.

i honestly cant remember Hendo having a real good game for us. He will deliver a one good pass in whole game and people is gonna grab that moment and justify his purchase.

It really gets to me when people are slagging off a 21 year old because hes not the complete player yet. How does he become something towards the complete player, yes thats it by playing games for us. Lay off the boy, Gerrard was no where near the complete player at 21 and probably most other players his age. I think hes gonna be a really good player for us in time.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2012 11:25:20 am
      It really gets to me when people are slagging off a 21 year old because hes not the complete player yet. How does he become something towards the complete player, yes thats it by playing games for us. Lay off the boy, Gerrard was no where near the complete player at 21 and probably most other players his age. I think hes gonna be a really good player for us in time.

I agree with Henderson being a good prospect but where does he fit in? I mean Jongo is and attacking midfielder, turn create. Even Spearing is a defensive midfielder. What is Hendersons role or do we need about two Hendersons in tandem just passing and moving in midfield to work the ball to the forwards.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2012 12:28:33 pm
      How about we slat them we lose again ;) not now.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2012 12:30:43 pm
      How about we slat them we lose again ;) not now.

What if god forbid we never lose again.. we won't get another opportunity to slate them
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #14: Apr 11, 2012 02:29:41 pm

Gerrard may not of been the complete player at 21, but he was far and away better than what Henderson is right now. He was a vital part of us winning the treble when he was 21, he was Young Player of the Year in 21, he was the Fans Player of the Year at 21, he was in the Team of the Year at 21.

So to say Stevie wasn't the complete player at 21 is right, but Stevie at 21 showed he was going to be a world class player. Henderson, for all his hard work and graft, doesn't look anywhere near that level.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #15: Apr 11, 2012 02:30:54 pm
      Henderson is the natural successor for Stevie.................. .................... If we play him in his natural position and NOT RB, RW or anywhere else!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #16: Apr 11, 2012 02:38:24 pm
      Henderson is the natural successor for Stevie.................. .................... If we play him in his natural position and NOT RB, RW or anywhere else!!

No he isn't.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #17: Apr 11, 2012 02:41:34 pm
      The day after a last second backs against the wall win and an FA Cup Semi on the weekend I think i'll take a break from the various "why is everything so fooked up" bandwagons and steer my way clear of this thread.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Apr 11, 2012 02:49:21 pm
      Gerrard may not of been the complete player at 21, but he was far and away better than what Henderson is right now. He was a vital part of us winning the treble when he was 21, he was Young Player of the Year in 21, he was the Fans Player of the Year at 21, he was in the Team of the Year at 21.

So to say Stevie wasn't the complete player at 21 is right, but Stevie at 21 showed he was going to be a world class player. Henderson, for all his hard work and graft, doesn't look anywhere near that level.

That make sense but not everyone is like Gerrard or at the moment Jack Wilshere for that matter. I've always said good players, no matter what age, will show they are good like Stevie or Wilshere. That was why I always felt N'gog wouldn't exactly be a hit.

Henderson has alot of potential but he's far from sh*te or a flop for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #19: Apr 11, 2012 03:39:08 pm
      That make sense but not everyone is like Gerrard or at the moment Jack Wilshere for that matter. I've always said good players, no matter what age, will show they are good like Stevie or Wilshere. That was why I always felt N'gog wouldn't exactly be a hit.

Henderson has alot of potential but he's far from sh*te or a flop for me.

I know not everyone is like Stevie, which is why it is wrong for people to expect Henderson to be Gerrard's replacement. What I showed was Gerrard was always likely to be world class, Henderson isn't. That's not to say he can't be a handy player for us over the years but he's no Gerrard - nor is that overrated cockney c**t Wilshire. He didn't get a touch of the ball when he played against us, Spearing and Lucas kept him quiet all game - so much so Wenger brought him off.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #20: Apr 11, 2012 08:06:37 pm
      Downing hasn't been great but I still hold out some hope that he'll turn it around, something I can't say about Charlie Adam

Do I wish we'd signed N'Zogbia instead, yes, I said it at the time but we've gotta work with what we've got, he's shown moments of quality and whatever it is he needs, I'm hoping he finds it soon and provide the same assistance for the forwards and the odd goal as he did at Villa

As far as Henderson being the natural successor to Stevie.....

Um..... Spearing?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #21: Apr 11, 2012 08:18:42 pm
      nor is that overrated cockney c**t Wilshire. He didn't get a touch of the ball when he played against us, Spearing and Lucas kept him quiet all game - so much so Wenger brought him off.

What game was that out of interest?

The 1-1 draw last season that Arsenal dominated the match (at the Emirates)?

Myself, I feel Jack Wilshere is the best up and coming midfielder in the league. Great talent.

I don't feel Henderson is anywhere near as good or as talented as Gerrard is, nor do I feel he'll ever become as good. I do feel that with time he'll develop into a very good player and will be a vital player for us over the years. As long as we don't compare him to Gerrard, he'll be a success.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Apr 11, 2012 08:18:53 pm
      Valencia and Young would show that you can sign good players from lower teams.
      So I wouldn't agree that we made a mistake in signing from lower teams.
      I'd still have us sign Junior Hoilett.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #23: Apr 11, 2012 08:23:00 pm
      Valencia and Young would show that you can sign good players from lower teams.
      So I wouldn't agree that we made a mistake in signing from lower teams.
      I'd still have us sign Junior Hoilett.
      Fergie, is that you?

;)

Quick Reply