Is Merseyside Derby Sectarian?

Read 25701 times
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: Is Merseyside Derby Sectarian?
      Reply #23: Apr 15, 2012 12:41:33 am
      Everton used to be Catholics (Irish) and Liverpool were Protestant (Scottish). No offence if you are Catholic or Irish because there is hardly any of that today with signings out of Britain but then again last summer....;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,281 posts | 1513 
      Reply #24: Apr 15, 2012 01:09:22 am
      Total bollocks. I have family in Ireland who are catholics and my side of the family are all protestant or atheist. All support the reds and religion has never even been mentioned in the same conversation as football as long as I can remember. On the other hand, my aunts uncles and cousins who are all scoucers and bitters, are again a mix of catholics and protestants. Once in the Gents in the 'Albert' in the 70's my mate was aggresively told to take his celtic scarf off or else. He is 5' 8'', I said to the fella, wanna ask me to take mine off mate, I'm 6'1''. needless to say the bully boy bottled it. That's the only incident I can recall in 55 years of watching the reds.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Apr 15, 2012 01:31:45 am
      We all worship God.
      QED
      Or was it we all live in one of his houses?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Apr 15, 2012 05:57:13 am
      I just listened to an Interview w/ John Williams who wrote a book about Liverpool FC.  He stated that their is a Sectarian divide between the clubs. LFC is Catholic and Everton Protestant. I have been a supporter a long time and I have never felt any sectarianism w/ Liverpool. 

Granted I live in the States and not Liverpool, but still I have never heard that. I do know that Liverpool and Celtic have a connection, but not to that extent.

Anyone know if this is true.

If you go back to when football started after in the second world war I think you will find that most of the Everton team was catholic and predominantly Irish origin.I would say John Williams has got his wires crossed and in fact Everton were Catholic and Liverpool was Protestant.In those days there was big parades through the town celebrating St Patricks Day and the Orange Lodge.I would say those days are just a part of history now.The Everton captain in those days was Peter Farrell an Irish International.That is my honest memory of events back then.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Apr 15, 2012 07:44:26 am
      That’s a situation that existed when the respective clubs were formed one hundred plus years ago, most clubs and sporting associations having religious affiliations then.
      If you were to bring up this topic with any Liverpool or Everton fans now, I for one would look on you as some sort of crettin or dinosaur.  Religious affiliations have become almost irrelevant in gereral in Liverpool, particularly so over the past twenty years.
      Our Liverpool based contributors will remember the lodge marching around the city on a regular basis, I know attitudes have changes since then and I for one think that we have all grown up a little since that era.
      In answer to the original question, religion has nothing at all to do with football in my city!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Apr 15, 2012 07:47:43 am
      We all worship God.
      QED
      Or was it we all live in one of his houses?
      Leave Fowler out of this!
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #29: Apr 15, 2012 08:34:51 pm
      That all died out in England years ago.I live in Northern Ireland where it didnt unfortunately.Liverpool have supporters from all sides of the community.Sectarianism has no place in football or in society.I want my son,(whose a Catholic, Im a Protestant), to support Liverpool as opposed to sectarian clubs like Rangers or Celtic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: Apr 15, 2012 08:38:58 pm
      Heard it a couple of times but I think it's rubbish. For me Liverpool and Everton for that matter are all inclusive clubs and that's what makes them unique. Doesn't matter what religion you are, what class you are, what race you are etc. As long as you support Liverpool with passion and heart that's all that matters. Religious divides like political divides have ABSOLUTELY no place in football.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #31: Apr 15, 2012 08:58:19 pm
      Never, ever heard anything in a sectarian context involving LFC and the other crew. The very fact that the majority are unaware which club have a supposed religious leaning says it all - no one gives a sh*t.
      The services yesterday at Watford had as many bizzies as customers in the car park and the restaurant area, all standing around scratching their arses and doing F**k all.
      It's as if the establishment would like nothing more than to see the cities clubs engaging in civil disorder.
      bedsred
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 144 posts |
      • That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal
      Reply #32: Apr 15, 2012 09:00:50 pm
      Seem to recall back in the late seventies early eighties half would shout Celtic and half Rangers very quickly after the other on the Kop and then break out into Liivvvveeerrrrpool !!!. Always had a half Celtic hat myself (Irish Mother)
      but never saw any problems with anybody in a half Rangers hat
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #33: Apr 15, 2012 09:50:06 pm
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #34: Apr 15, 2012 10:36:03 pm
      Seem to recall back in the late seventies early eighties half would shout Celtic and half Rangers very quickly after the other on the Kop and then break out into Liivvvveeerrrrpool !!!. Always had a half Celtic hat myself (Irish Mother)

I never had the hat but my shout was Celtic. My memory is that the numbers shouting for each were roughly the same although the King Kenny connection might have boosted the Celtic numbers.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #35: Apr 18, 2012 01:37:48 pm
      A few years back, someone informed me of this so-called divide but it's bollocks. When the two clubs were very young, there was a hint of it but it never stuck. Well, that is my understanding from what I have read.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #36: Apr 19, 2012 06:31:36 pm
      I always thought that Celtic was a Brother/Sister club to Liverpool, due to the YNWA connection and the charity match played right after Hillsborough. I know other supporters of Liverpool also support Celtic and vice versa.  I like Celtic and watch the Old Firm match whenever its on. I have very deep and strong Irish roots. My grandmother was Irish and my Mother. But it was only based on the Irish connection and not necessarily a sectarian or Catholic connection.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #37: Apr 21, 2012 09:35:53 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #38: Apr 21, 2012 10:14:20 pm
      Being from Glasgow (where the derby is most def sectarian) and of the Celtic persuasion I took some stick for being an LFC fan from a guy at work who was one of these know-it-all football types. Remember him saying something about way back Everton being the catholic club of the city - no idea where it comes from and obviously irrelevant in the present day
      Met a lad on holiday some time ago from Glasgow and he was convinced there was a religious divide in Liverpool, I imagine because the two cities have social and cultural similarities some in Glasgow find it hard to believe that sectarianism is not a part of that culture.
      If an individual were to state quite openly that sectarianism is bollocks in Glasgow the sh*t would hit the fan big time, as stated no one here gives a shiney one.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #39: Apr 21, 2012 10:24:02 pm
      Met a lad on holiday some time ago from Glasgow and he was convinced there was a religious divide in Liverpool, I imagine because the two cities have social and cultural similarities some in Glasgow find it hard to believe that sectarianism is not a part of that culture.
      If an individual were to state quite openly that sectarianism is bollocks in Glasgow the sh*t would hit the fan big time, as stated no one here gives a shiney one.

There is a religious divide in Liverpool by some dickheads mate but it's very small in numbers. Even most of the Lodge round here don't hate Catholics because they haven't got a clue why they're in the Lodge. I knew some lad who said he only joined the Lodge so he could play the drums. F***ing mind bending.

Most of the divide comes from those who wanna pretend they're Irish just because some distant relative was. But for footy it's a no-go. I know Catholics who support Liverpool (me arl fella) and I know Catholics who support Everton (me best mate). I know Proddy's who support Liverpool (meself) and I know Proddy's who support Everton (me ex). Some bang on about Liverpool and Rangers being connected with Everton being connected to Celtic but by and large everybody in the city of Liverpool understands it to be total bollocks.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #40: Apr 21, 2012 10:30:05 pm
      They forgot Steve heighway signed 1970.
      Good spot! The mistake was possibly because he moved from Ireland to England when he was a boy.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #41: Apr 21, 2012 10:32:41 pm
      A neighbour of mine is an orangeman ,he has the sash and bowler and heads up for the 12th every year, he"s also a GAA man loves hurling and gaelic football, religion is bollocks.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #42: Apr 22, 2012 08:16:21 am
      There is a religious divide in Liverpool by some dickheads mate but it's very small in numbers. Even most of the Lodge round here don't hate Catholics because they haven't got a clue why they're in the Lodge. I knew some lad who said he only joined the Lodge so he could play the drums. F***ing mind bending.

Most of the divide comes from those who wanna pretend they're Irish just because some distant relative was. But for footy it's a no-go. I know Catholics who support Liverpool (me arl fella) and I know Catholics who support Everton (me best mate). I know Proddy's who support Liverpool (meself) and I know Proddy's who support Everton (me ex). Some bang on about Liverpool and Rangers being connected with Everton being connected to Celtic but by and large everybody in the city of Liverpool understands it to be total bollocks.
      Hear what you're saying Billy and of course there are a handful of F***ing cranks who want to wind the clock back to the dark ages and bring back religious hatred and all it's evils. Not forgetting of course the establishment would like nothing more than to see that mayhem materialise - dividing people and allowing them to do what the F**k they like.
      No doubt there are people who would like nothing more than the face of sectarianism to raise it's ugly face in Liverpool.
      Mugsey
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 20, 2018 10:52:07 pm
      I just listened to an Interview w/ John Williams who wrote a book about Liverpool FC.  He stated that their is a Sectarian divide between the clubs. LFC is Catholic and Everton Protestant. I have been a supporter a long time and I have never felt any sectarianism w/ Liverpool. 

Granted I live in the States and not Liverpool, but still I have never heard that. I do know that Liverpool and Celtic have a connection, but not to that extent.

Anyone know if this is true.

Not really.  Liverpool the city does have sectarianism in its history, which culminated in the riots of 1909, but there is no real evidence that either team were exclusive to either religion.  I am of Irish catholic descent, my Grandfather was a sailor from Cork who made his home on Scotland Road, although I grew up on The Wirral after my dad moved there in the 1930s.  Funnily enough, my grandfather would have been living in Scotland Road in 1909.  Wonder if he was involved in the riots ;D? Anyway, my whole family were and are staunch Liverpool supporters.  A couple of my nephews have been season ticket holders for decades. I never came across the notion that Liverpool had ever been thought of as a protestant team until I met a guy from Belfast in London in the 80s who told me he was a member of the Celtic and Everton Club in Belfast, but maybe that was because I was brought up on the Wirral.   Certainly in my catholic secondary school there were as many Liverpool supporters as there were Everton supporters. 

There is an Irish Times article about it here which is interesting:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #44: Jun 21, 2018 11:46:44 am

Tranmere ;D :P

I'm Catholic so I need to change to Everton, no f***in chance!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45: Jun 21, 2018 12:03:42 pm
      F**k the pope..and the queen

Quick Reply