Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Is Merseyside Derby Sectarian?

Read 25637 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Is Merseyside Derby Sectarian?
      Reply #46: Jun 21, 2018 12:58:51 pm
      This old chestnut again! I was raised Catholic in Armagh (atheist now), myself and all of my school supported Liverpool, there was no mention of religion back then ( im 40 now).
      Liverpool is my religion, Fowler is my God!
      Kopite78
      Reply #47: Jun 21, 2018 01:20:35 pm
      This old chestnut again! I was raised Catholic in Armagh (atheist now),

Do you mind if I ask you how come you're an atheist now having been brought up religious? I'm an atheist too but always have been and never brought up believing in any religion.
      Nothing incendiary I'm just genuinely interested what made you change belief?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #48: Jun 21, 2018 04:30:31 pm
      Do you mind if I ask you how come you're an atheist now having been brought up religious? I'm an atheist too but always have been and never brought up believing in any religion.
      Nothing incendiary I'm just genuinely interested what made you change belief?

Basically I don't believe in magic. 😉 I believe religion was born out of a fear of death, and the need for death not to be the end. I believe in science. Science aims to provide proof, religion relies on blind faith, promises and threats.
      Kopite78
      Reply #49: Jun 21, 2018 04:38:48 pm
      Basically I don't believe in magic. 😉 I believe religion was born out of a fear of death, and the need for death not to be the end. I believe in science. Science aims to provide proof, religion relies on blind faith, promises and threats.

Well yeah that's my thoughts pretty much to a tee but my point being I have thought that almost from day one.. I just wondered how you changed from believing in on to the other

Cheers though
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #50: Jun 21, 2018 04:48:30 pm
      Not into religion, although my "church" is Anfield, if that makes any sense.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Jun 22, 2018 06:09:51 pm
      So is mocking or ridiculing heartfelt religious beliefs, is that OK on here?
      Kopite78
      Reply #52: Jun 22, 2018 07:04:40 pm
      So is mocking or ridiculing heartfelt religious beliefs, is that OK on here?

Whos mocking or ridiculing?
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Jun 22, 2018 10:23:05 pm
      Nah. In modern times religion was never an issue. Might have been donkey's year ago. The rivalry has nearly always been friendly. Plenty of jokes knocking about. But in the last 5-10 years it has got a little bit bitter..not nasty but a little less friendly than it was.

I used to go to Anfield one week and Goodison the next, in the early 70's. Quite a few did the same. I've been in almost every part of Goodison, Glady's St, Bullens Rd stand, Top tier stand, Park end etc. Saw some good games there as well. Fans around me knew I was a red and I never got any grief. Half decent pies as well. In fact I used to predict Everton would be Pie Champions year in year out.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #54: Jun 22, 2018 11:12:16 pm
      Didnt that all stem from there being a church beside Goodison?

No its not secterian in any way

I was born in the Goodison chippy, and christened in the church next to  the ground, and have been  a red all my life.  Sectarian, has never played any part of what I think about.  I think about Liiverpool, and let Evertonions, hate us as they will.  (1961)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #55: Jun 22, 2018 11:50:15 pm
      Sectarianism?
      Can't even spell it!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #56: Jun 23, 2018 03:35:27 am

Not you.

But if I defend my faith tradition against the specific (and disparaging if not ridicule) things said on here, I would rightly be told this is not the forum for such discussion.

Seems like kind of a one-way street, although that is the norm in western society anymore when it comes to matters of faith.

Kopite78
      Reply #57: Jun 23, 2018 09:41:48 am
      Not you.

But if I defend my faith tradition against the specific (and disparaging if not ridicule) things said on here, I would rightly be told this is not the forum for such discussion.

Seems like kind of a one-way street, although that is the norm in western society anymore when it comes to matters of faith.

I'd personally love a conversation  about religion and faith.. I'm not sure people could handle it like but I'd genuinely be interested in one

I'm an atheist and don't believe but I wouldn't ridicule those who do.. it's a personal belief. I would genuinely be interested in those who do and why though.

I mean you may think we have polar beliefs here but not quite.. you see there are somewhere between 3000 and 140000 perceived gods that people believe in.. my guess is you believe in 1 of those.. I just believe in one less than you 😀
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2018 09:49:42 am by Kopite78 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #58: Jun 23, 2018 10:14:45 am
      A good example of religious divisiveness or sectarianism is the open hostility between the Glasgow clubs which prevails on and off the field of play, nothing remotely similar exists in Liverpool.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Jun 23, 2018 10:51:27 am
      Whilst there were some tensions around certain days in the year when it came to Liverpool fc it was very much a coming together of people and had nothing to do with religion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #60: Jun 23, 2018 12:55:10 pm
      Nah. In modern times religion was never an issue. Might have been donkey's year ago. The rivalry has nearly always been friendly. Plenty of jokes knocking about. But in the last 5-10 years it has got a little bit bitter..not nasty but a little less friendly than it was.

I used to go to Anfield one week and Goodison the next, in the early 70's. Quite a few did the same. I've been in almost every part of Goodison, Glady's St, Bullens Rd stand, Top tier stand, Park end etc. Saw some good games there as well. Fans around me knew I was a red and I never got any grief. Half decent pies as well. In fact I used to predict Everton would be Pie Champions year in year out.

Longer than 5 - 10 years, started turning a bit nasty about 2001. The "What about Heysel" shout during the minutes silence at the Gary Mac derby ensured the atmosphere got a little bit more bitter.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #61: Jun 23, 2018 01:02:27 pm
      Longer than 5 - 10 years, started turning a bit nasty about 2001. The "What about Heysel" shout during the minutes silence at the Gary Mac derby ensured the atmosphere got a little bit more bitter.

When you remember how fantastic the atmosphere was at goodison first time after hillsborough and then at wembley the deterioration is pretty dramatic
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #62: Jun 23, 2018 01:18:47 pm
      When you remember how fantastic the atmosphere was at goodison first time after hillsborough and then at wembley the deterioration is pretty dramatic

Not helped by the clubs happily doing everything they can in stopping away fans getting tickets in the home ends. The only time you see blues in our end or reds in blue ends is usually because friends have sorted them tickets unlike in the old days when it would be more mixed. Can go tit-for-tat say they've done this and they'll throw stuff at us but having complete segregation in the derby for me is why it's deteriorated.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #63: Jun 23, 2018 03:49:38 pm
      Basically I don't believe in magic. 😉

What about a Big Bang?

:P
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #64: Jun 23, 2018 04:08:32 pm
      A good example of religious divisiveness or sectarianism is the open hostility between the Glasgow clubs which prevails on and off the field of play, nothing remotely similar exists in Liverpool.

Yeah we just think blues are scruffs who wear Lonsdale trabs :laugh:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #65: Jun 23, 2018 05:57:52 pm
      Is Merseyside Derby Sectarian? No.

There you go, simple.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #66: Jun 23, 2018 11:27:05 pm
      Yeah we just think blues are scruffs who wear Lonsdale trabs :laugh:

Haha all day.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #67: Jun 24, 2018 10:02:22 pm
      Should not even thought to be close, nothing to do with your beliefs, but haters hate, Thats what they live for., they would rather hate Liverpool than support thier own team.  I know F@@k all about Everton, but apparently, they know everything about us
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Reply #68: Jun 25, 2018 08:20:46 am
      Should not even thought to be close, nothing to do with your beliefs, but haters hate, Thats what they live for., they would rather hate Liverpool than support thier own team.  I know F@@k all about Everton, but apparently, they know everything about us

Hense the old quote - if you want to know anything about Liverpool ask an evertonian.

Quick Reply