Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Have recent events opened the door for a shake up at the back?

Read 5178 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Have recent events opened the door for a shake up at the back?
      Reply #23: Apr 16, 2012 07:39:05 pm
      Doni a lack of experience? He's 32, and played a bunch of full seasons at Roma, has a few caps for the Brazilian national team aswell. I'd say we signed him because he's supposed to be experienced.

The difference between players like Coates and Shelvey, and Doni and Jones, is that the first 2 were bought as potential 1st team players, and the other 2 merely for backup. They never were supposed to get a chance, which they even knew themselfs when they signed.

Yea I suppose your right, just thought I'd get it off my chest is all, I do feel Reina is a world class keeper and we are very lucky to have him, it's always nice to see the other keepers get a game though (even despite the circumstances)

If Reina comes back for the Final (which I think is probably inevitable) I would still like to see Jones in one of our remaining PL games....
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Apr 16, 2012 08:26:00 pm
      Seeing the other guys comin in and looking a bit rusty, think I'd try to give another keeper some games, maybe a Carling Cup run or something. So they've a bit of game time under their belts before having to come into the proper side if Reina's out (suspension or injury).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #25: Apr 16, 2012 08:29:09 pm
      Doni a lack of experience? He's 32, and played a bunch of full seasons at Roma, has a few caps for the Brazilian national team aswell. I'd say we signed him because he's supposed to be experienced.

But he is F***ing sh*te and I would say it about any keeper that let seven goals in against the mancs.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Apr 16, 2012 08:43:03 pm
      If you started resting Pepe, he'd be off to a team in the European Cup.

I'm looking forward to having him back in the goal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,320 posts | 4956 
      Reply #27: Apr 16, 2012 09:05:33 pm
      Pepe might be having a shaky season by his standards but still the best keeper in the league and would be straight back in the side for me.

Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #28: Apr 16, 2012 10:42:07 pm
      I think Jones is better in the air than Reina (if he is to be judged on one game). I would play him next game while we don't have much at stake.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #29: Apr 16, 2012 10:49:17 pm
      I think Jones is better in the air than Reina (if he is to be judged on one game). I would play him next game while we don't have much at stake.

Yo Mo.  Where have ya been?
      I would play all the reserves against Woy  ,  Norwich and Fulham and send the first team to Barbados for two weeks.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6806 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Apr 16, 2012 11:11:52 pm
      I'd play Pepe for the rest of the season too but if it goes to penalties in the FA Cup final sub him for Jones.  :D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: Apr 17, 2012 08:23:07 am
       I think Brad Jones is aware that Pepe will be an automatic choice for team selection,I think you will find that Brad said to Pepe now go and win that F.A.Cup for us.Give Brad Jones his due,there will be no tantrums from him but I would like to see him get a place on the bench for the remaining matches this season.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #32: Apr 18, 2012 12:52:51 pm
      I think Pepe needed a break, but he had it, by the force of things, and except if he gives totally disastrous performances in the coming games, I sure would play him for the final.

Now considering we have nothing to lose in the league, I'd see no problem giving the two last games one to Brad one to Doni.

Doni especially desserves another chance imo (and one to stay as second keeper if he performs and wants), he clearly made a silly error but also sacrificied himself to compensate, and it shows the kind of mentality we need for me.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #33: Apr 18, 2012 01:32:23 pm
      I think we didn't give Brad enough praise. He made a few important saves where he could have easily fumbled and allowed Everton to score. Ys, he gambled and came out of his box often to punch the ball away and release the pressure on us, and we don't praise him enough for that. Had he failed to do that, the match result could turn out differently. Hence, he deseves to be in the team for the remaining games.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #34: Apr 18, 2012 02:15:25 pm
      Realistically - no keeper wants to be a back up keeper - give both keepers their dues, but after the semi, Brad deserves a place on the bench.

Doni will be off in the summer, has said himself he wants 1st team football.
      Marcisared
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #35: Apr 18, 2012 02:25:10 pm
      Brad Jomes seems like a top lad but I don't recall everton having that many chances thankfully they didn't.  And as far as passing is comcerned hoofing it up to no one just doesn't cut it in the modern game- that's where Pepe is generally at his best, counter attack quick balls out and pin point accuracy a lot of the time.  Pepe hasn't been the best for us this season in defence but I think this ban will get him focussed for the final- Pepe all the way!
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #36: Apr 18, 2012 04:21:36 pm
      Would never mess with Pepe. Still on of the best in the world and we should feel priveledged that he's playing for us.

Will restore him in the team ASAP
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: Apr 18, 2012 05:25:25 pm
      A shake up at the back ? no way , Pepe is our no1, one of the best if not thee best in the prem, ok he had a bit of a brain fart getting sent off against Rovers, and he has not been at his best this season, you can say that about anyone tho, but come on, parking his arse on the bench is ridiculous,

reserve keepers are just that,on reserve, Doni & Jones are second tier keepers for obvious reasons, imo,i think Brad should be second to Pepe,  he is more agile, younger and more adept, and costs less,

In Kenny We Trust                      YNWA
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #38: Apr 18, 2012 05:39:41 pm
      ok he had a bit of a brain fart getting sent off against Rovers,

In Kenny We Trust                      YNWA

Looks like you had a brain fart too :P.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #39: Apr 18, 2012 07:05:22 pm
      Looks like you had a brain fart too :P.

I'm always getting them Tom, it's my excuse for the void between my ears.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #40: Apr 18, 2012 09:10:23 pm
      Pepe is our No 1 keeper and always will be.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #41: Apr 19, 2012 05:00:53 pm
      In fact i think it does the exact opposite. With recently changes to our defence due to injuries and suspensions, we look a lot less assured and we've become weaker as a defensive unit.

Our goalkeeping nervousness with Doni and Jones has only emphasised what a great keeper Pepe Reina is. He hasn't been at his sparkling best this season, but he's still playing well overall, still organising the defence, still disturbing the ball well, still giving a confidence to the players.

That's our problem as fans too, we've been so grateful to have Pepe Reina for many years, the best keeper in the league playing at his best, that as soon as he has a few poor performances, we suddenly worry. We're very lucky to have Reina and it has only shown how fortunately we are to have someone so assured at the back with the mistake from Doni, and the nervousness we felt with Jones.

With Agger's injury, that has just highlighted the fact that he is an incredibly defended, and that Carragher is declining rapidly. When Agger was playing alongside Skrtel with Pepe in goal and Lucas protecting the back four - it was undisputed from any Liverpool fan that we had the best defensive unit in the league, alongside the fact we had conceded the least amount of goals in the PL during their game time together.

Now with a couple of injuries, it really just emphasises to me that Pepe Reina is by far and away our best keeper, and that he should come straight back in, that Agger is our best defender and should straight back in. Johnson's attacking threat has been missed too, but i feel Kelly has done an adequate job as his replacement.

Lucas has been another huge loss. Lucas is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world and while Spearing has been decent backup; even he can't replicate anywhere near the defensive protection Lucas gave us. When we had Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Lucas as the spine of our defence - our defence was unbreakable at times.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #42: Apr 20, 2012 12:32:23 am
      I think Jones was great against Everton and the goal was a complete F**k up by his defenders. However, he is not Pepe Reina. Reina is the first goalie for a reason. He is a world glass keeper and Jones only shot to take that job is injury or transfer. I want Reina in net every match. We have a keeper who is a top 5 keeper in the world and would start in net for almost every single team in the EPL, Serie A and La Liga.

Quick Reply