Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Cheat, Divers, Simulationists?

Read 1337 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Cheat, Divers, Simulationists?
      Apr 17, 2012 09:43:38 am
      Anyone catch Gary Neville discussing the issue of divers, cheats, simulationists on Sky Sports Monday Night Football? Players take a touch and go down like they've been pole-axed.

Anyone see it?

Fair play to the guy, he spoke a lot of sense.

Very interesing insight
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Cheat, Divers, Simulationists?
      Reply #1: Apr 17, 2012 10:59:44 am
      Had to laugh at BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club once again, the funniest show on radio, Steve Claridge and John Motson both insisting that it was a definite penalty for united against Villa even though they admitted that Young had made contact with the Villa player. Also it was interesting to see the Real Madrid game where Pepe is rolling around and Arbeloa comes over and tries to pick him up but Pepe doesn't want to know but Arbeloa keeps going at him telling him to get up. You can tell by team mates sometimes what they think of a player. Look at when the likes of Alves and Busquets go down, the majority of the time no-one else can be assed to go and see if their allright.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #2: Apr 17, 2012 11:33:32 am
      You really couldn't make this up, after the diver Young was seen on national tv going arse over tip after no contact with a defenders withdrawn leg, not the first time we have seen the cheat play acting incidentally - the PFA chairman Clark Carlisle states he believes Ashley Young is not a diver but says some players NEED TO BE MORE HONEST??
      Young has been criticised for going down to easily against QPR and Aston Villa earning penalties on both occasions but Carlisle who was Young's team mate at Watford said "I wouldn't say he is or ever has been prone to falling over, he is quick and slight so it doesn't take much contact to make him fall over."

What universe is the PFA chairman in?
      He releases the above statement when the players own manager admits (surprisingly enough) that it looked like a dive, of course we don't need convincing after seeing the cheat in action replay over and over.
      "Doesn't take much contact to fall over" Carlisle states when even his issues with reality cannot whitewash the fact there was NO contact whatsoever in the incident against ManUre.
      With the unwavering support of the PFA and the FA ManUre cheat on.   
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #3: Apr 17, 2012 11:34:39 am
      As much as it pains me to say, Rat boy is one of the best pundits on tele at the moment.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #4: Apr 17, 2012 11:35:50 am
      Neville might have talked sense but did you notice who he used for illustration purposes?
      Gerrard, Lampard, Messi but when he came to the Mancs the best they could come up with was Golden Balls? Not Shrek, not Nani, Not Young, not even Ronaldo!!
      Even when talking sense the bias from Sky was obvious.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5: Apr 17, 2012 11:54:20 am
      As much as it pains me to say, Rat boy is one of the best pundits on tele at the moment.

Agreed, I have a lot of respect for Gary Neville the 'pundit', not much for the 'player' though.

He's better than Randy Gray all day.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #6: Apr 17, 2012 11:55:22 am
      Neville might have talked sense but did you notice who he used for illustration purposes?
      Gerrard, Lampard, Messi but when he came to the Mancs the best they could come up with was Golden Balls? Not Shrek, not Nani, Not Young, not even Ronaldo!!
      Even when talking sense the bias from Sky was obvious.

To be fair he did mention Ronaldo (against Charlton), but yes, I agree, he could have done a film on Nani alone.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2012 11:57:39 am
      Anyway, bias aside, the content was quite an eye-opener. It's something we've all known about and guessed at for years, but to hear it from the horse's mouth, an ex professional, it made more impact.

And to be honest, that's the first time I've heard a 'player' admit in no uncertain terms that, 'yes', players do dive, and have even been told to dive.

What irritates me though, is the reluctance people have to call them what they are; cheaters.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2012 12:11:37 pm
      Yep saw him talking about it and agree with the comments on here so far.

I find it really uncomfortable as I hated him as a player and as a person for the whole Scouse/Liverpool hatred thing and really didn't think in a million years I'd be able to take to him as a pundit.

Thought he was terrible to start with as he was really nervous, but now as said on here, he talks a great deal of sense, is really honest and gives a great insight into a players perspective on things.

Don't think he's very good as a co-commentator but is good in the studio.

Not any real shock that players look for fouls and try to win penalties by drawing fouls etc.

Was a bit disappointed to see Messi dragged in to it as he must get kicked about 30 times a game 60 plus games a season and I would say he gets on with it and stays on his feet 90 odd percent of the time.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2012 01:34:36 pm
      He was very almost spot on, IMO. Can agree with everything he's said.

What is annoying is ... when it's a genuine foul (Suarez, Larrson and Tevez), they get booked for diving but when it's a simulation (Suarez against Arsenal, Young against Villa and QPR), it's a penalty. There is no "right" consistency in the decisions and that, to say the least, is very sad.

Some players are honest, though, I remember seeing Dirk Kuyt waving 'no' when he went down about a couple of season ago and we all remember Robbie Fowler's spot kick to the keeper. The worse is when a player dives/simulates and he asks for a penalty.

Sadly, it's become part and parcel of the game. Sometimes, it is difficult to tell because the pitches are wet and you can easily slip but exaggeration of contact, going down easily, diving and all will always be part of the game.

I was disappointed to see Messi get mentioned but the lad gets kicked 100 times every game and 99.9% of the time, he just gets up and gets on with in. You don't see him holding his face or laying on the ground.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2012 02:45:32 pm
      This thread made me think of Ashley Young. :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #11: Apr 17, 2012 03:54:31 pm
      This thread made me think of Ashley Young. :D
      The thread title screams Ashley Young.
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #12: Apr 17, 2012 04:00:50 pm
      The thread title screams Ashley Young.

You read my mind :) and what does my head in the most with him is the way he looks straight at the ref when he goes down.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Apr 17, 2012 07:32:42 pm
      ...the way he looks straight at the ref when he goes down.

Is that why they like him?  :laugh:

Quick Reply