Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Top Four! Top Four! Top Four!

Read 10161 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Top Four! Top Four! Top Four!
      Apr 26, 2012 01:41:38 pm
      Is going to mean F**k all if Chelsea win the CL.

Maybe some 'fans' should ponder that point the next time they forget that the ethos of Liverpool FC is that it exists to win the competitions it enters.  Not finish as the third runner up.

anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Re: Top Four! Top Four! Top Four!
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2012 02:05:01 pm
      Is going to mean f**k all if Chelsea win the CL.

Maybe some 'fans' should ponder that point the next time they forget that the ethos of Liverpool FC is that it exists to win the competitions it enters.  Not finish as the third runner up.

But still better than sitting on 8th below blue sh*t :mad:
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2012 02:05:20 pm
      Agreed, it's all about winning trophies, in years to come people will be looking at the history books and they will read 2012 League Cup Winners - Liverpool and Hopefully 2012 FA Cup Winners - Liverpool, i don't think they will be reading 4th Place in the League - Arsenal
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2012 02:11:19 pm
      I agree, but unfortunately with champions league qualification comes prestige to attract players and money to buy and pay them.

It's wrong in my view, but it's now the world we live in unfortunately, so we have little choice but to go along with it or be condemned to being a cup team who never challenge for the league, and are unable to attract the very best players with no more glorious European nights except for the odd foray into the Europa league.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2012 02:23:40 pm
      If you google 'LFC Honours' not one of the results contain league position as an honour, they do contain League Champions 1989-90 but I'm guessing that that'll be because it was an honour.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Apr 26, 2012 03:07:48 pm
      Whilst I agree we exist to win trophies, we need Champions League football not only for the money but the attraction for players to help us to compete for the big trophies, its a double edge sword really.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Apr 26, 2012 03:15:15 pm
      When we were all Manned Up we used to F**k em all off and win the European Cup.

None of this sh*te lets all aim  for fourth FFS.

Just had to say that.

Feel better now.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Apr 26, 2012 03:20:44 pm
      None of this sh*te lets all aim  for fourth FFS.

I agree some what mate.

But then again if getting a top 4 finish is the difference between signing players of the Poulsen, Konchesky, Adam, Henderson, Downing Calibre or signing the the Torres's, Mascherano's and Alonso's then we need top 4 simple.

Whilst clubs like Citeh and Chavski are throwing money around like there's no end to it in wages, having Champions League football on offer is probably the one way you can compete with them.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #8: Apr 26, 2012 03:24:38 pm
      Whilst I agree we exist to win trophies, we need Champions League football not only for the money but the attraction for players to help us to compete for the big trophies, its a double edge sword really.

Its obviously about both.. But, if in a transitional period we manage 1 of the 2, at this stage of the "project" I'm happy..
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #9: Apr 26, 2012 03:27:15 pm
      I'll be gutted for Newcastle should Chavski win it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Apr 26, 2012 03:41:45 pm
      I think most admit that CL money is important and playing in the CL is great both for the players and fans, but it is winning trophies that matter in the short term. Longer term we need both a stadium and CL if we are to progress as a club.

Imagine how Newcastle/Spurs will feel if they finish 4th and don't get CL football, at least we have a trophy (possibly two) to show for what admittedly has been a poor season in the league.   
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #11: Apr 26, 2012 04:55:47 pm
      No way would I be swapping our Carling Cup and FA Cup final for 4th now. (Then again I wouldn't have done either way)

You have to feel sorry for laugh at Newcastle though. They will be shitting it now for a month. Chelsea can beat Bayern too. Quite easily in fact. If that is the case, they might just as well have won the F***ing fair play league ;D

Yeah, I'm happy we are winning and challenging for trophies.
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #12: Apr 26, 2012 05:06:03 pm
      Is going to mean f**k all if Chelsea win the CL.

ha ha too right!
      We will win the two compo's this year, Chelsea can have their CL crown , doesnt bother me , but i have a sneeking suspision that nobody ever from London will win CL, (unless your a utd fan). The double will sit well with me, and after all we havent won the eufa cup for a while, dont we hold a record for most won for a british team....hmmm lets make it harder for others to match that then, id settle for the eufa cup next year,(or super europa, or whatever they decide to call it  :f_steam:)
      So your statement rings true, who wants to finish third or win 2 cups.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #13: Apr 26, 2012 05:27:57 pm
      You have to feel sorry for laugh at Newcastle though. They will be shitting it now for a month. Chelsea can beat Bayern too. Quite easily in fact. If that is the case, they might just as well have won the f**king fair play league ;D

I disagree with that bit. Bayern are going to be playing at home and I think they're a much better team than Chelsea.

Can I be greedy and want CL qualification AND cups? ;D
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #14: Apr 26, 2012 06:09:44 pm
      Apart from the fact that Newcastle are 4th and have a game in hand which 'if' they win they would go joint 3rd so they could still get CL football.

And if they did that would be a more successful season than ours.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #15: Apr 26, 2012 06:17:11 pm
      As a player, wouldn't you be more attracted to a club that won 2 cups (possibly) in the season just gone rather than one that has qualified for a competition to attempt to win one cup? I know Champions League is a different level to domestic cups, but honours are honours, I know which i'd go for.
      Liverpool :D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16: Apr 26, 2012 06:38:15 pm
      Apart from the fact that Newcastle are 4th and have a game in hand which 'if' they win they would go joint 3rd so they could still get CL football.

And if they did that would be a more successful season than ours.

Yeah that trophy for finishing 3rd is even better than the one for finishing 4th!

Oh wait no it's the same size.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Apr 26, 2012 07:01:25 pm
      We're clearly looking at this all wrong.
      Top Three! Top Three! Top Three!
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #18: Apr 26, 2012 07:08:50 pm
      surely you guys are missing the point and keep adding extra words... Top!, Top!, Top! should be the only call ;D
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #19: Apr 26, 2012 07:09:29 pm
      This argument probably won't ever settle but sad matter of fact is domestic trophies do not attract the big players.

When we look through history we all appreciate having another trophy there for defs, but one thing we have to do is STOP THAT. We don't live in the past.

I want success NOW. The route to which is simple, build a stable place in the champions league, haul in the money and work towards a league title challenge. Which is what we had under Houllier and Rafa then we lost it all by having to sell the best players under the previous owners. We need to get back to that and soon, before more ridiculous buyouts and Sheikh money being pumped into the league leave us in the shade.

The Carling and FA Cup a ten times over won't give us what one season in the Champions League in terms of finance or prestige. Devalued, old-fashioned, a snippet of the embodiment of the ruination of the beautiful game by money. Call it what you want.

It's fact.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Apr 26, 2012 07:11:16 pm

Your a cad Racer. ;D

Ive sussed you.

Next year you're going go ....

Second ! Second ! Second !.

Softy Softly ......   Thought we wouldn't notice your stealth project did you?.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Apr 26, 2012 08:00:48 pm
      Ah well that's that rumbled.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #22: Apr 26, 2012 08:04:48 pm

Or alternatively we could start demanding CL qualification drops down to 10th then we will all be happy  ;D

10th 10th 10th.

Quick Reply