Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Kenny, Downing, Maxi.

Read 4924 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Re: Kenny, Downing, Maxi.
      Reply #23: Jun 06, 2012 02:00:16 pm
      After the first 10 or so matches, Downing was already underwhelming everyone, but we were told it was a "work in progress," and that eventually Downing would start to click.  Well, he never did.  Of course, he had 0 goals and 0 assists for the season.  But even more damning than that, IMO, was the way he did that.  It's not like he battered the goal and put inch perfect crosses in all the time and was just horribly unlucky.  He hid all the time, he refused to take people on, and it was like we were playing with 10 men most of the time.

I think Downing actually started the season quite well and if you look in his player thread you will see him getting quite positive posts for the opening 7-8 games. I'm not a particularly big fan of the player but does seem to have become a bit of an easy target for LFC fans. For me, the guy simply came in and played the way he has for most of his career ie. one really good game followed by a few average ones and then a stinker and so on. He's always been a decent Premiership player capable of producing the odd piece of magic and he has pretty much carried on in that vain since arriving at LFC. The only difference is that he now plays for a massive club where every performance is closely scrutinised and the truth is he isn't and never quite will be up to it. Can he improve on last season? I think so, we saw some good games from him last year but he didn't deliver them on a consistent basis. Was he a bit unlucky at times last year? I think so, he hit the woodwork a few times, saw many a decent cross squandered and at least he chipped in with a couple of goals in our FA Cup run along the way.

I am not suggesting that Maxi was/is a world beater or that with him things would have been better guaranteed.  But what we do know is that at the tail end of last season Maxi was scoring hat tricks like it was going out of style, and then miraculously this season could not get a game.  Downing would have poor games and had no repercussions.  It seemed like the worse he did, the more he played!  Maxi had a few poor games this season, and yet... he gets dropped.  So Maxi can't have the odd bad game, or else he gets dropped, but if Downing has poor games, it doesn't matter?

As for Maxi, I think Kenny simply saw him as a squad player. With the pedestrian Henderson or Kuyt often playing on the opposite wing I think he probably felt that he needed a player opposite who could run at (and beat) his full-back and offer a threat in behind and that is why Downing generally got the nod. I quite like Maxi but I can't help but think he's a classic example of a player who gets better and better in the eyes of everybody the longer he DOESN'T play because we don't like the player who currently (Downing) has the shirt. He's a decent player, intelligent movement, great job of being in the right place at the right time (hence the number of tap-ins he scores) and a good passer of the ball. Ironcially he actually looks ideal for the brand of football that Rodgers is looking to implement.

For me, i'd actually take Bellamy on the left ahead of either of Maxi or Downing but his age and dodgy knees meant it wasn't always possible.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #24: Jun 06, 2012 09:51:46 pm
      If Downing could do it at Villa against the same Prem oposition, how come he was so poor for us? Confidence, Different system, Different players, ????  Whatever was the cause of his demise, one things for certain,...............always play your in form players!.......... Kenny's unswaying support of Downing has cost him his job. He played under probably the best Manager ever, in Bob Paisley, surely he learnt from that, sentiment counts for nothing, winning is all that counts.   The inconsistency of Downing, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, and their continued inclusion when fit, as first choice was a joke really. I don't think Downing is to blame alone, it was the collective sum of too many negatives.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Jun 06, 2012 10:16:26 pm
      I think there is still a place for both these guys in the squad. Maxi should be given more game time this season, but mostly as an impact sub, I don't think he could preform to his high standard for 90 minutes every game. As for downing, A little time on the sub's bench or reserves might be just the kick up the behind he needs to step up his game.

In reality though it is likely we will buy a winger, so both these guys chances might struggle to get the game time they will demand.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2012 09:47:10 am
      We tend to look at individuals whilst managers look at team balance etc.
      Its hard to justify Downing but then there he is in the England squad so he must provide something .
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2012 09:57:41 am
      If Downing could do it at Villa against the same Prem oposition, how come he was so poor for us? Confidence, Different system, Different players, ????  Whatever was the cause of his demise, one things for certain,...............always play your in form players!.......... Kenny's unswaying support of Downing has cost him his job. He played under probably the best Manager ever, in Bob Paisley, surely he learnt from that, sentiment counts for nothing, winning is all that counts.   The inconsistency of Downing, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, and their continued inclusion when fit, as first choice was a joke really. I don't think Downing is to blame alone, it was the collective sum of too many negatives.

Downing's game at Villa revolved around Agbonglahor and Young/Albrighton and with midfielders breaking forward.  Got family members who are Villa season ticket holders and they say his game was never about crosses, it was more about interchanging passes around the box, cutting inside and movement, you'd think with that kind of play, he'd have worked well with Suarez & Maxi.  Maybe he can't handle the pressure of being at a big club, maybe, like at Villa, he'll start producing in his second season.

Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2012 01:57:39 pm
      I want to hope with Downing it was a number of things that stopped him reaching his potential from the step up to a big club, shenanigans with his wife/girlfriend, actually not knowing how he was expected to play, fans on his back etc etc

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate, he gets some serious bashing when to be honest the whole team performed badly.. I hope Rodgers does the same with Alberto and cole.. Different systems can bring out the best is some players and the worst in others. Let's just see what preseason brings.

On Maxi well what can I say top player an excellent addition of experience and quality to any team.. Great squad option.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2012 02:10:35 pm
      Maybe if he performs for England someone might come in and we will get most of our money back.
      The lad just doesnt seem to have confidence in himself.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2012 02:53:56 pm
      Downing's game at Villa revolved around Agbonglahor and Young/Albrighton and with midfielders breaking forward.  Got family members who are Villa season ticket holders and they say his game was never about crosses, it was more about interchanging passes around the box, cutting inside and movement, you'd think with that kind of play, he'd have worked well with Suarez & Maxi.  Maybe he can't handle the pressure of being at a big club, maybe, like at Villa, he'll start producing in his second season.

It's because Stewie is at his best when operating in a front 3 in a team that is set up to play on the counter as Villa were.  The combined pace of Downing, Young, Albrighton, and Agbonlahor kept defenders backpedaling because no center back in England would catch anyone of those players if they were put through with a good ball in behind.  This allowed Downing and Young to cut inside and attack the space in front of the CB's which is how both players had the most success. 

Unfortunately for Downing, we did not play on the break at all under Kenny.  In fact, sometimes when the opportunity to break was on we would slow the ball down which allowed the opposition to get back into proper defensive position.  It was quite frustrating to watch at times....
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2012 05:31:34 pm
      I think there is still a place for both these guys in the squad. Maxi should be given more game time this season, but mostly as an impact sub, I don't think he could preform to his high standard for 90 minutes every game. As for downing, A little time on the sub's bench or reserves might be just the kick up the behind he needs to step up his game.

In reality though it is likely we will buy a winger, so both these guys chances might struggle to get the game time they will demand.

For me I think Maxi works better as a starter, and then bring him off at about the 50-60 minute mark.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2012 08:34:18 pm
      Why, why, why, why did Kenny not playing Maxi more, and why, why why did Downing play so much?
      It's pretty simple I think: "Why, why, why did (Manager A) not play (Player B who was not Manager A's buy), and why, why, why did (Player C who Manager A spent a fortune on) play so much?

The formula applies to every manager,I'd think. It's human nature. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #33: Jun 09, 2012 06:32:04 am

It's a crying shame that we're looking like losing Maxi when he's easily been one of the best players at the club since he arrived (statistically)
      Stewart Downing should be our spare left back, he's a clown; how he made that England squad I will never know, the manager must be a...oh... :D

;D

He became the first player in seven years to miss three consecutive penalty kicks in the Premier League.

Downing managed no league goals and no assists over the entire league season, even after taking one penalty and 72 shots.

Despite this, Roy Hodgson called Downing up to the England team for Euro 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Downing

72 ........
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34: Jun 09, 2012 08:32:09 am
      Didn't realise it was so high, I can't remember who it was that was commentating on him early in the season claiming that Downing had such superb technique that he was one of those players who would never really hit the ball over or wide of the goal. I reckon whoever it was might of changed his opinion of him now, honestly has to rank up there with one of the worst seasons by any player to play for this club.

Quick Reply