Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

More Direct Style of Play

Read 4538 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: More Direct Style of Play
      Reply #23: May 09, 2012 02:01:54 pm
      Why we need to approach most of the games in a pinball like manner I just don;t understand. If we had been more direct, don't let the opposition settles down, we would have won more games. No team like to come up against robust and speedy players.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #24: May 09, 2012 02:09:13 pm
      I don't how we play if we win.

Being direct most of the time can be a title winning approach if you play it with the right players and the right way. Chelsea have played through the middle and direct for years.

However you've got to have more strings to your bow than simply pumping it long or playing it in behind all the time. We've got to learn to play both ways and learn how to switch depending on what the game requires. When we have players who can do that we'll be a lot closer to the top of the table.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #25: May 09, 2012 05:05:03 pm
      Think we saw a mixed style of play yesterday. With Carroll and Suarez in our team we don't have to limit ourselves to one type of playing style. The way I see it is that we have two strikers that have different styles that are figuring out each others game and it looks like it is beginning to pay off. If Carroll continues to play as he has of late then Suarez will adore him with all the runs he's allowing him to make.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,192 posts | 165 
      Reply #26: May 09, 2012 05:21:22 pm
      I think that Kenny wants Suarez to play as striker but with Carroll we have to use the 4-4-2 which does not work with the players we have. Also, I've read that Kenny likes the players to go and express themselves without restricting their movements and this might not be great for players like Spearing, henderson and Adam who need instructions I think. Gerrard, Carroll, Maxi, Kuyt and Suarez can but not our CMs.
      I hate the 4-4-2 but Carroll needs to play because he's a threat to any defender and is unplayable often.
      we need to return to the 4-3-3 used last season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: May 09, 2012 05:36:18 pm
       To win leagues you've got to score lots of cheap goals. Yes it's lovely when you pass it around for fun and finish it with a sublime lob over the stranded goalie but it only counts as one goal, the same as it counts one goal when you whip in a free kick and Carroll heads it in.

Just because everyone else plays 4-5-1 with three central mids (which they don't anyway, Man Utd play 4-4-2 with Rooney & Wellbeck up top) it doesn't mean we have to. Drop Luis into the hole and let him play off of Carroll (he's 100% good enough to do that) and IMHO he'll be even more slippery and harder to mark than he currently is. Then you've got a 4-4-2/4-5-1 in any case, and I'd put Gerrard on the right, Downing on the left and suddenly you are a top class attacking midfielder away from having a team which will cause anyone plenty of bother. 
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #28: May 09, 2012 06:36:52 pm
      4231 All day long Carroll as the striker with Luis and co bombing past him especially if we get a good couple of wingers in.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #29: May 09, 2012 06:46:19 pm
      I'd put Gerrard on the right, Downingsomeone on the left and suddenly you are a top class attacking midfielder away from having a team which will cause anyone plenty of bother. 
      Fixed it for you. Sorry, Stuey is nowhere near what Liverpool needs. The lad does not have the confidence to beat a man (or at least hasnt for the better part of this year). When in a tight spot, he  passes the ball most of the time (backwards most of the time), instead of trying to beat his marker.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #30: May 09, 2012 07:34:27 pm
      Just because everyone else plays 4-5-1 with three central mids (which they don't anyway, Man Utd play 4-4-2 with Rooney & Wellbeck up top) it doesn't mean we have to. Drop Luis into the hole and let him play off of Carroll (he's 100% good enough to do that) and IMHO he'll be even more slippery and harder to mark than he currently is. Then you've got a 4-4-2/4-5-1 in any case, and I'd put Gerrard on the right, Downing on the left and suddenly you are a top class attacking midfielder away from having a team which will cause anyone plenty of bother.

Yep, United are one of the few who still play it (although not all the time) and Spurs as well since Harry came in BUT they do have the genuine quality in wide areas that you often need to make a pitch big and to negate the extra man they're up against in the middle of the park.

Quick Reply