Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Summer 2012.... Who Goes and Where Do We Need To Strengthen?

Read 13960 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: Summer 2012.... Who Goes and Where Do We Need To Strengthen?
      Reply #46: May 31, 2012 04:45:00 pm
      If i was Brodders ;)

Out - Cole,Kuyt,Adam,Spearing,Aqua,Maxi and Downing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #47: May 31, 2012 05:51:04 pm
      Not a fan of our midfield then Kenny? I see your point though mate and actually agree with that in the most part if we can get improvements for them. Don't want to be left the way we were this year with inadequate cover in the middle, crippled us in truth.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #48: May 31, 2012 06:50:54 pm
      Not a fan of our midfield then Kenny? I see your point though mate and actually agree with that in the most part if we can get improvements for them. Don't want to be left the way we were this year with inadequate cover in the middle, crippled us in truth.
      If i was to keep one it would be Aqua, the rest IMO are not good enough and should be replaced with better quality.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #49: May 31, 2012 09:22:28 pm
      I would bring a LB a playmaker (somewhere in the middle,but we need one of does guys that makes the whole team play better) and a striker (Cavani would be ideal but not easy).
      Something else,Pepe had me worried during last season,I dont know if he was having some temporary low or what but he conceded some easy ones.I hope he fully recovers.
      Of the players most of you suggest we should let go,I would keep Maxi,Downing and Adam.These last two would like to see how they do with Rodgers.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: May 31, 2012 10:22:58 pm
      We need someone Like Yaya Toure as DMF. Tall, strong. Knows how to run with the ball and makes the right pass. Possibly have a good header ( Lucas covers the space behind). A fast , technical winger. Crosses the ball well and gets along excellently with Suarez. Bring back Aquilani  and promote Sterling.

40 Mil should be enough.
      Is that too much to ask?
      Only my modest opinion :D
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #51: May 31, 2012 10:27:53 pm
      Out: Adam, Maxi, Kuyt, Carra, Spearing, Skrtel (I think wants to go), Aurelio, Cole.

In: Luuk De Jong, Aquilani, Vertonghen, Adam Johnson, Ramirez, Diame.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #52: May 31, 2012 10:38:58 pm
      Out: Adam, Maxi, Kuyt, Carra, Spearing, Skrtel (I think wants to go), Aurelio, Cole.

In: Luuk De Jong, Aquilani, Vertonghen, Adam Johnson, Ramirez, Diame.
      Your reading to much talkaloadofbull.com.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #53: May 31, 2012 10:52:06 pm
      Skrtel has already come out and said all the stories are absolute crap, check his player thread.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #54: May 31, 2012 11:25:05 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #55: May 31, 2012 11:52:10 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #56: Jun 01, 2012 12:58:43 am
      Midfield needs a serious sorting out! Get rid of Downing, Adam and Spearing and bring in some quality, especially on the wings!
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #57: Jun 01, 2012 06:06:53 am
      That is one hell of a f***in classy right foot he has. He can bend it with so much style.

Why can we never buy young, cheap, quality players like these? 6.8mill is a steal.

uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 01, 2012 12:10:59 pm
      I would personally get rid of.......

1. Adam - poor first season and I reckon a few of swanseas players will be following rodgers so he is no longer required.
      2. Spearing - has looked out of his dept.
      3. Downing - awful first season
      4. Glen Johnson - massively over-rated and we could get good money for him. Kelly is a fantastic RB and much better defensively in my opinion. Will never happen though
      5. Kuyt - Fantastic work rate and pops up with some important goals but we need more creativity and I'm guessing he's on huge wages and is no spring chicken
      6. Cole and Aquilani - both likely to be crocked for the season so sell them before preseason before they get a chance to get injured!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #59: Jun 01, 2012 01:05:34 pm
      Is Siguardsson a centre midfield player or a winger?

In terms of players who need to leave, in my opinion? It is the following. (not in any order)

1) Kuyt- as grateful as I am for Kuyt's time at LFC, he didn't have a good season last year and in my opinion he doesn't fit Rodgers style of play. Been great for the club but I think his time is up unfortunately.

2) Cole- delighted when we signed him but it hasn't worked out and one is one of the highest paid players at the club. That money could go to bringing in new quality players. Would let him go on a free, although I know it isn't ideal considering his wages.

3) Adam- I was happy when we signed him but he has had an up and down season. He hasn't always shown the qualities I previously admired in him. Wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers keeps him. However, in my opinion he will feature little.

Other than that, I would not make any massive changes. Think Downing could do well under Brendan's system of play. Aquilani could work well under the system, pulling the strings in the midfield. We obviously know that Aurelio has left, as has Maxi. As a result, we will need players to come in. In my opinion we need another LB, 2 wingers, Central midfield player and a striker. The following are a few I like the sound off, in no order:

1) Affellay: Have only seen him play a handful of times but he has impressed me a lot and he can play in the centre midfield or as a winger. If the press are to be believed, he is going cheap at £6m. Could be a good replacement for Kuyt and Maxi.

2) Joe Allen: Only saw him a handful of times and I'll admit, when he was first mentioned, I had never seen him play. He is a centre midfiel player and he is young. Had a great season with Swansea but wouldn't spend a lot in him. Question is whether we are allowed to sign Swansea players plus whether or not we want to sign players unproven at top level.

3) Siguardsson- not familiar with his preferred position but I saw him play a few times with Hoffenheim before Swansea and I have been very impressed. Would be surprised if we could snatch him from under the noses of Swansea. However, Rodgers knows him and he will know system that Brendan likes so may see something happen their.

4) Huntelaar- He has been brilliant with Schalke this season. I couldn't see him joining us. However, it could be worth a punt and I couldn't think of any other strikers. ;D

I mentioned a LB. Flannaghan can obviously be used as back-up to Enrique. We may decide to buy another youngster or invite a youngster up to the first team. All the obvious wingers I would be interested in buying have been taken. The likes of Marin, Reus etc have all joined new clubs. Could possibly see Sinclair, although I don't feel he is consistent enough.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #60: Jun 01, 2012 01:48:43 pm
      Sigurdsson is a central midfielder. The next Steven Gerrard/Frank Lampard IMO :)

That is one hell of a f***in classy right foot he has. He can bend it with so much style.

Why can we never buy young, cheap, quality players like these? 6.8mill is a steal.

His left foot isn't too bad either. Very two footed player.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #61: Jun 01, 2012 01:58:54 pm
      Sigurdsson is a central midfielder. The next Steven Gerrard/Frank Lampard IMO :)

Pfft .. Lampard/Gerrard.... He will never be able to play with himself...

*Sits back awaits Racers innuendo*
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #62: Jun 02, 2012 10:40:29 pm
      No concrete source but we are being linked to this fella on twitter:

Jordy Clasie. Part One

Don't know anything about him but from what I gather, he's from Feyernoord 20 years old and Dutch and would cost 8M Euros. Perhaps Bier could shed some light on him?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #63: Jun 02, 2012 11:25:04 pm
      Looks a good prospect for sure, definitely the right kind of cover for Lucas and with potential to be coached to play a bit higher too considering he is only 20. Gotta admit before that video never heard of him but for only being 20 that was a very impressive 4min highlight reel, not saying he's a world beater but at 8M Euro would prefer him in the squad than Adam judged on that alone.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #64: Jun 03, 2012 11:12:07 am
      I think some of the personel may go just to free up some transfer money and wages. Depending what Rodgers wants I supose I think we will deffo be playing a different way so some players may find themselves out in the cold. I think Sigurdsson will come in just because Rodgers will want someone he can trust and knows his system of play to help blend things together. We will possibly get another striker. I think Suarez will be playing as a right inside forward and we will reap the rewards from this because he will have to be that much more dissaplained playing there. Hes a fantastic talent but playing as a CF behind the striker, he tends to be a little unpredictable and thats why he a Carroll found it difficult to click IMO.

We will deffo need another midfielder who is more defencive like Lucas just as cover for him. I think our other central midfielders could cope quite well. Gerrard, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey could all partner Lucas but I,m afraid Adam may be sacrificed. The post about that Jordy Clasies above looks like good cover for Lucas and hes still young. I think we should keep Downing but only as cover because he can play both left and right. Expencive cover i know but thats what you get when you buy British. If we are going to go with inside forwards, after watching the England v belgium game, I quite like the look of Dries Mertens. I think he out performed Hazard on the day. Otherwise it would have to be Afellay for me.

Defencively we look quite sound as long as we can keep hold of Skrtel. Maybe look for a new right back and move Martin Kelly back into the CB position. Judging how Rodgers sets his team up its more of a 4 3 3 formation but with 2 CM and a AM infront of them

Riena
      Johnson       Skrtel          Agger       Enrique
                         Lucas        Gerrard
                              Sigurdsson
                Suarez                       Mertens
                                Carroll

This just an example on players i,ve just mentioned, of course but looks quite good to me. I,d keep hold of Joe Cole just to cover Sigurdsson. Otherwise its just tweaking what we,ve already got. I think Kuyt, Maxi and Adam will leave. Unfortunately i think Aqualani will never settle over here and we,ll just have to cut our losses. I know Adam Johnson has been linked and hes a good player but i think we should stay away from the british signings for a while, we are just getting slated for it. A striker is anybodys guess.

Rodgers has said he likes to educate players and not train them. I,m sure theres a few of our players who will need educating into this new system he is going to implement and for me, I cant wait to see it    IBWT   YNWA
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #65: Jun 03, 2012 01:20:43 pm
      Pretty please, lets inject some quality youth in the side;

Jackson Martinez
      Glyfi Sigurdsson
      Mohamed Diamé
      Ibrahim Afellay
      Iker Muniain

I'm excited to see how Rogers blows his cash.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #66: Jun 03, 2012 05:45:02 pm
      So we sold Kuyt for 1mill euro /£800k ..Jeez we do it all the time sell players for a fraction of what they are worth..Thought we could of got at least £5 mill for him
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #67: Jun 03, 2012 06:01:35 pm
      So we sold Kuyt for 1mill euro /£800k ..Jeez we do it all the time sell players for a fraction of what they are worth..Thought we could of got at least £5 mill for him

was in his contract cos we couldnt offer CL football and if another team could he could leave on the cheap
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #68: Jun 03, 2012 07:17:52 pm
      No concrete source but we are being linked to this fella on twitter:

Jordy Clasie. Part One

Don't know anything about him but from what I gather, he's from Feyernoord 20 years old and Dutch and would cost 8M Euros. Perhaps Bier could shed some light on him?

Not sure that young fella would fit with Rodger's style.

Quick Reply