Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the next Liverpool manager?

Rafael Benitez
      (53.5%)
      Andre Villas-Boas
      (19.4%)
      Jürgen Klopp
      (11.1%)
      Roberto Martinez
      (4.5%)
      Joachim Low
      (1.8%)
      Didier Deschamps
      (1.8%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (2.4%)
      Brendan Rodgers
      (2.9%)
      Fabio Capello
      (2.7%)

The next Liverpool FC manager?

Read 336509 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: The next Liverpool FC manager?
      Reply #46: May 16, 2012 09:41:28 pm
      One immortal stand head and shoulders above the rest
      the second coming
      RAFIEL BENITEZ
      a no f***in brainer

Do you mean Rafael Benítez
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #47: May 16, 2012 09:42:01 pm
       Whoever comes in, in my view unless the fans completely 100% get behind him from the off then he is doomed. Then, the owners need to give him three seasons AT LEAST in order for his plans to work. They need to back him properly in the transfer market, and they need to back him through any upcoming controversy (unlike how they acted with Kenny). All this talk of "outsiders" is nonsense, as is the "but he gets us" cobblers which is often peddled out. Whoever we are going to give it to lets give it to whoever seems like the best candidate from a football standpoint, lets forget all this colloquial nonsense which has bogged the club down for too many years. In my opinion we actually have a squad which will do pretty well next season as long as we don't get a complete fool in, this is a golden opportunity for whoever gets it and for the club to pick the right man.

My take on the candidates most talked about:

Rafa- Obviously would be the first choice of many and I can see why even though he wouldn't be mine. In terms of unity he definately appeals because nearly all of the Liverpool based fans would be over the moon, the rest of us would support him in any case and certainly for a while everyone would swing in behind him. Has he perhaps looked back on his last couple of jobs and come to the conclusion that yes, maybe he did make the odd mistake? If he has and particularly if he gets his esteemed assistant back in tow, we could do worse that much is certain. If he does get it, his control freakery would have to be kept in check (and I don't think these particular owners would have too much difficulty with that) but it may work. I don't however think he will get it.

Martinez- A kind of Rafa clone in many respects, and for that reason for me I think you may as well give it to the real thing if you're going to go down that route. That said, did a good job at Swansea and has done decent at Wigan too, so deserves a crack at a bigger job. Could he do the Liverpool job? Well I suppose nobody knows until he gets a try, and I do think he is in serious contention to get it. Wouldn't be my choice, but I'd back him 100% if he is to be the man.

Rodgers- Has done an absolutely astounding job at Swansea all things considered, and does play the modernist way of tip tap Barcelona football. Could better/more egotistical players be convinced to just about forget their previous teachings and adopt his style? My guess is they probably could, and I'd quite like to see him given a shot at a big club. My guess is it won't be us, but if it was I'd be quite excited about seeing how we would evolve.

Villas-Boas. Like the previous two, fits in with the "young and hungry" mantra which the owners go for by all accounts. Did a brilliant job at Porto I think it was, and is schooled (like Brendan Rodgers) in the Mourinho philosophy. Given he is the most successful manager in the modern era that's no bad thing, but equally I think as far as Mourinho himself is concerned, there would be too much history between him and a section of our fans to be accepted. Both Rodgers and Villa-Boas though are probably far enough removed to be not treated with prejudice by our supporters though, and like Martinez I think Villas-Boas is in very serious contention. He bombed out a bit at Chelsea, but the dressing room there rules the club and handling the bigger personalities is a thankless task. He speaks well, seems like a good guy to me with some interesting philosophies on how the game ought to be played. Before we gave the job to Kenny I kind of liked the idea of AVB, and I wasn't put off by Abrhamovic's ridiculous decision to sack him after 6 months. He'd be hungry to right the wrongs and would take the job in a flash. He'd be my first choice.

I think talk of Guardiola, Mourinho and the like is fantasy land, for me it'll be between these kind of blokes above plus perhaps Deschamps, Rjyiikjard and blokes of that ilk. I'm going to 100% support whoever gets it, no silly pictures or videos, no "he doesn't get us" nonsense. Whoever gets it it won't be his fault that Kenny got the bullet. Nor will it be his fault that he isn't Rafa Benitez (if Rafa doesn't get it). As a club though, it is absolutely imperative that from here on in we have some stability. Support the manager, whoever it ends up being.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #48: May 16, 2012 09:42:26 pm
      The very man!!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #49: May 16, 2012 09:43:40 pm
      JoeScouse_LFC ‏ @JoeScouse_LFC
      Vilas Boas is now 2/1 favourite for the job with Stan James. He was 12/1 at 8.20pm.

Tweeted 13 minutes ago...
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #50: May 16, 2012 09:44:21 pm
      Not Villas-Boas, please.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #51: May 16, 2012 09:44:36 pm
      Rafa has unfinished business
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #52: May 16, 2012 09:45:03 pm

Got sh*t on Kenny.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #53: May 16, 2012 09:45:56 pm
      I couldn't care less right now, still devestated with today's news :(
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #54: May 16, 2012 09:46:01 pm
      Rafa, Mourinho, Pep or Van Gaal.

PLEASE NOT MARTINEZ.
      Fear that by getting him I just see another Woy, done good with a poor team.
      He has no experience of managing a top club. Interesting thing I heard from the Wigan owner the other day (Dave Whelan?), he said that Martinez is potentially a top manager, but needs at least 3 years more experience before he is capable of handling a big job. Think any suggestions of Brendan Rodgers are laughable. Would definitely sign Rafa to just a one-year contract, see how it works out, give him a little bit of cash see what he can do (hopefully none of the sort of Kromkamp, Riera, Kyrgiakos signings that he made, weve got enough of that).
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #55: May 16, 2012 09:46:20 pm
      Where you at the Empire to?
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #56: May 16, 2012 09:46:45 pm
      And whoever he is needs to be in place before the Euros. We can't wander blindly into the transfer window and miss out on any potential targets.

I agree, Slaven Bilic is leaving Croatia after the Euros. He's done a terrific job there, however he did of course play for Everton.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,730 posts | 7165 
      Reply #57: May 16, 2012 09:47:06 pm
      Rafa wants to come back and it seems most of us do too.Do remember he won the CL with Jimmy Traeore ffs.Rafa will protect the clubs History and culture the same cannot be said about any other candidate
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #58: May 16, 2012 09:47:46 pm
      I've not pre read the thread so Apologies if already mentioned , But considering they've sacked virtually everybody who is anybody at the club it leads me to believe they've already found their guy, who wants his own team in and that tells me its either Rafa or Maureen !
      Bier
      Reply #59: May 16, 2012 09:47:53 pm
      Some Dutch sites mention that Bert Van Marwijk is seen as a possible option too.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #60: May 16, 2012 09:48:09 pm
      Rafa, Mourinho, Pep or Van Gaal.

PLEASE NOT MARTINEZ.
      Fear that by getting him I just see another Woy, done good with a poor team.
      He has no experience of managing a top club. Interesting thing I heard from the Wigan owner the other day (Dave Whelan?), he said that Martinez is potentially a top manager, but needs at least 3 years more experience before he is capable of handling a big job. Think any suggestions of Brendan Rodgers are laughable. Would definitely sign Rafa to just a one-year contract, see how it works out, give him a little bit of cash see what he can do (hopefully none of the sort of Kromkamp, Riera, Kyrgiakos signings that he made, weve got enough of that).

You deffo dont know  Rafa
      he'd laugh his bollocks off at a one year contract!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #61: May 16, 2012 09:48:13 pm
      I suppose seeing that Daz has hit the nail on the head recently that his prediction of Lowe being the preferred choice could be a possibility.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #62: May 16, 2012 09:48:25 pm
      We need a smart tactical manager with his distinct system that could work with the players we have. Rafa, AVB, Klopp, Bielsa, Guardiola. Someone capable of giving the team a tactical identity while managing the team and providing results. Personally, I think we've taken a step backward getting rid of Kenny, now let's try to take a leap forward and bring in someone who could really change the club rather than taking another step backward.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #63: May 16, 2012 09:48:31 pm
      I agree, Slaven Bilic is leaving Croatia after the Euros. He's done a terrific job there, however he did of course play for Everton.

Agreed to take over at Lokomotive Moscow.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #64: May 16, 2012 09:49:27 pm
      I think talk of Guardiola, Mourinho and the like is fantasy land, for me it'll be between these kind of blokes above plus perhaps Deschamps, Rjyiikjard and blokes of that ilk. I'm going to 100% support whoever gets it, no silly pictures or videos, no "he doesn't get us" nonsense. Whoever gets it it won't be his fault that Kenny got the bullet. Nor will it be his fault that he isn't Rafa Benitez (if Rafa doesn't get it). As a club though, it is absolutely imperative that from here on in we have some stability. Support the manager, whoever it ends up being.

Have to agree with you there, if we don't support the next manager, he'll be gone by the end of the year.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #65: May 16, 2012 09:49:48 pm
      To be fair AVB was a lot of peoples choice before Kenny got the job full time. He was shafted by the players at Chelsea, there can be no doubting that. Case of if he learnt from it though, because he was very inflexible regarding his tactics with them and refused to change the tactics when it was clear they needed it.

As for Rafa....a part of my would like to see him back, if anything just to see how he actually does with backing, so all the arguments can be put to a rest once and for all. However, I think we should move on. This is a chance to completely start afresh, with no manager, assistant, CEO or DOF. We can appoint a whole new team at the club and if we get the appointments right, then we could see many success filled years. Going back to Rafa most definitely wouldn't be 'starting afresh' and as soon as things went belly up, the knives would be out and we're back to square one.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #66: May 16, 2012 09:50:35 pm
      It doesn't matter who we get unless these F***ing whopper fans piss off calling for the manager's head every two minutes. Do we really want to taint the reputation of another of the legends of our club, Benitez, if he fails to deliver within the first 12 months?
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #67: May 16, 2012 09:50:47 pm
      You deffo dont know  Rafa
      he'd laugh his bollocks off at a one year contract!

Have to say I dont then ;D, but I think its maybe too much of a risk giving him a long-term one, maybe 2 years could work out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #68: May 16, 2012 09:50:47 pm
      I suppose seeing that Daz has hit the nail on the head recently that his prediction of Lowe being the preferred choice could be a possibility.

Signed a new contract that see's him national coach till 2014

Quick Reply