Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

End of season report

Read 7986 times
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Re: End of season report
      Reply #46: May 06, 2012 01:51:26 pm
      This has been a great season if you watch it backwards. We finish on a run that includes a convincing cup win against Exeter, a draw against Sunderland in a game that doesn't matter and points away against Arsenal, who don't look like they'll qualify for anything next season. Also, Lucas comes back from injury to boss our midfield, and Suarez is a model of international diplomacy. Even more fortuitous, three sh*t teams give us tens of millions in cash in exchange for some fabulously mediocre players we've been trying to offload then we celebrate with a holiday in the Far East.

Watching the upcoming Chelsea game backwards, I expect to see us do incredibly well in the opening 36 minutes, before tiring and getting the early bus home.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #47: May 06, 2012 01:52:10 pm
      Suarez and Carroll are two big pluses. Henderson is easily good enough. This year we need a few more good prospects to integrate into the side. We will get there in a couple of seasons at this rate. I HAVE SPOKEN!!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #48: May 06, 2012 02:09:24 pm
      We need to buy real quality for the CM area and maybe another holding player as cover for Lucas, someone said Lucas was not as good as people make out the same thing was said about Makalaly and look what happened to Madrid when they got rid of him to Chelsea, Lucas is one of those that goes about his work and is not noticed until he is not there, our results went downhill from the moment he got injured, Jay is no back up to Lucas because at his best he is only half the player Lucas is.

Kenny is my big worry I see no pattern emerging where you can see where we are going, often it takes a goal against like yesterday to get a reaction from the team, it was easy for Chelsea until we brought on AC and much to my surprise he delivered, I think AC came of age in an LFC shirt and he must realize how scared defenders are of him when he plays like he did yesterday and the way he used to at N'Castle, he was our MOTM even though he only played for 35mins, well done AC.

Another of my concerns with Kenny is the choice of players he buys and his use of subs as I cannot fathom what he is trying to do, Henderson is a CM and out on the right he gets lost, he has no pace which all wide-men need yesterdays game was a prime example of how not to play as everything was square on and played in strait lines it may have worked if they had played the ball forwards but everything went side on and put Chelsea under no pressure, Gerard's role was just as confusing as I could not see if he was supposed to be behind Suarez or in a CM area, sometimes he was back helping the defense and so when moves of the Chavs broke down their was only one guy up the field and he was isolated so when he had the ball(which was rare)there was no-one to give it to.

The owners have to get it right this summer if not it may set us back years, another season like this and I cannot see us hanging on to Suarez, Riena and Lucas they are all coming into their best years and they will not want to be at a mid-table team with no ambition but like I say thats all down to the owners where we go from here so I hope they get it right and this season will turn out just a learning curve.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,524 posts | 224 
      Reply #49: May 06, 2012 02:09:31 pm
      out

Kuyt
      Maxi
      Spearing
      Adam

In
      Dm
      Two Wingers
      a number 9 striker
      (non british)
      then lets have a F***ing go at the top 4
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #50: May 06, 2012 03:00:02 pm
      Summary
      Pepe - Very poor season by his standards, Kenny needs to make the call and give the others a chance if Pepe isn't delivering. For next season I'd want to see Doni or Jones in the cup competitions as regular starters, keep Pepe on his toes and give him some rest for the league games.
      Johnson - Can't believe people are crying out for him to be sold, very good on the break and I think been pretty solid this season. We need attacking fullbacks if we want to do well, and from his outings this season has guaranteed himself the number 1 RB spot. Id still like to try him on the wing too or even a "sweeper" role.
      Carragher - It hurts me to say it but the many seasons putting his body on the line in the league has really caught up with him. You need defenders with pace nowadays and its abandoned Carra. Definitely would like to see him in a coaching role as his positioning throughout his career has been outstanding. Great servant to the cause.
      Agger - Top defender, shame he gets injured but when hes fit he has to be any mans number 1 choice.
      Skrtel - My player of the season. No longer a liability, along with the Dane have to be the future to Liverpools back line.
      Coates - I was dubious after his first few games as hadn't seen much of him other than highlights of the Copa America's and he was looking a liability. I think has shown real progress throughout the season and my number 1 CB backup.
      Enrique - Looked like a real astute signing by Kenny/Comolli at the start of the season but started to fade towards the end. I think he'll come back with a bang, but needs cover.
      Kelly - Seemed to take a few steps back this year. Still looks like a massive natural talent though and hope Kenny + the coaching staff can get him back on track.
      Flanno - Similar to Kelly, didn't live up the high expectations set in the run in to last season. Hopefully gets a good rest in the summer and targets next year to break into the first team.
      Spearing - Had some good performances, but overall the step up has looked to much. Hes been on the fringes of the squad for quite some time, but i personally think we need better cover for Lucas to challenge him for his starting berth, and Spearing just wont fit that bill.
      Shelvey - looked inspirational during his loan at Blackpool and i really want him to succeed. Had some good games, but overall i think he hasn't shown the same quality when playing for the first team.
      Lucas - been a big miss this season, was really starting to develop into the beast of a defensive midfielder needed. Contrary to popular opinion, compared to his first few seasons in my op, his touch and passing ability have really improved. Will be a big test to see if can kick off where he left off when back from injury.
      Henderson - been poor and i still dont know where his best position is. Has had a lot of chances to prove his worth but nowhere near his fee at the moment. Has got youth on his side which is my personal only reason for keeping him.
      Adam - Disagree with a lot of the posts trying to save him. Cant tackle and has to play the "quarterback role". Plus is he was cheap and can be used as a squad player but been completely let down by his performances this season compared to last. He'd be a bench warmer for me.
      Downing - Started well int he first game of the season, never really looked to put in that sort of performance again after that. He was brought in to service Carroll and his delivery has been poor. Id get rid and cut the loses.
      Gerrard - Poor season from Captain Fantastic, i just hope hes not showing signs of being on the wrong side of thirty and has a little bit more reserves in the tank.
      Bellamy - looked like our best summer signing during our cup run, but faded after the injury. Still has a spark though and i'd definitely have him in the squad/on the bench if fit.
      Kuyt - Has had a poor season along with the rest of the midfield and hasnt chipped in as many goals as should. Looks like starting to pass the peak of his career.
      Carroll - the anomaly. Do you, don't you, will he wont he. Looked absolutely desperate for most of the season, but started showing why Kenny has so much faith in him towards the end. Simple fact is even if you hate him, we would take such a lose getting rid, its not financially an option. Id definitely keep him anyways, a good option to bring on and need his height and power in some of the fixtures of the premier league.
      Suarez - ohh what would have been if Judas hadn't been, well Judas. Top striker, i think has been unlucky with amount of times he has hit the woodwork but needs to be the focus point of our attacks next year as hes a game changer and without a doubt the most skillful footballer in our squad, many - including myself might argue, the league.

For the summer i would focus on the following movers and shakers:
      Needed:
      Striker - instinctive goal scorer please  - up to 25mill, Soldado's shouting at me.
      Left Winger - Young pacey winger who can cut inside, take a gamble Kenny, we need more options on the flanks. - up to 8 mill.
      Right Winger  - proven winger with a bit of class, Adam Johnson/Affelay-esque. - 15 mill
      Creative Midfielder  - This needs to be a big signing, ie young emerging talent not pricey. Elm/Kagawa-esque. - up to 10-14 mill.
      Defensive Midfielder  - Need cover for Lucas, id go with an experienced player ending their career. - up to 10 mill.
      Left Back  - Enrique would still be my number 1, but need him to fight for his starting berth, Robinson might be able to fit this bill, if not id spend another 8 mill on cover, Glen doesnt cut it on the right, if Enrique got injured for the season, we'd be lacking cover. - up to 8 mill.

8+10+14+15+8+25 = 80 mill.

Outs
      Aquilani - The saga's gone on long enough, I want a young talent that can rock the boat and regardless if you think he had a good end of season a few years ago, i don't think he fits the bill for our new look squad "attacking midfielder" - 10 mill
      Cole - Same as above had a good season with Lille but our squad is crying out for pace. We should try to recoup some money from the free, to inject into some youth signings and think for the long term. - 5 mill
      Spearing - I know hes a devout fan but i just don't think he's ever going to be where we want him to be. - 5 mill
      Downing - cut our losses, get some pace and bring in a new look set of wingers. I know its crazy the position we need more heads but I just have no belief he will ever be near good enough. - 8 mill
      Aurelio - Cant see him starting and if Enrique was injured should use the opportunity to phase some youth into the team. - free
      Carra - Sorry to say it but the time is up and don't want him to have "cameo" cup appearances, hes better than that. Member of the coaching staff he should be, as have to keep his humour around the dressing room. - free/retired
      Maxi - I feel bad for Maxi as he's done well when called upon but then seems to loose the rhythm when playing regularly. We should try to get some cash while we still can and give him his much wanted move back home to South America - 3 mill.
      Kuyt - This cheeky chappy with live on in liverpool folklore, i still remember his "superman" costume in the Halloween party (of 09?) with the most druken smile I've ever seen. Great guy and be very sad to see him go but we need to look to the future and Dirks pace has left him. - 4 mill.

10+5+5+8+4+3 = 35 mill.

45 mill difference, which is don't think is exactly a lot for FSG to fork out over the summer before the fairplay rules come into play. Can see Chelski, Manure and City spending double/tripe that. Roll on the transfer market and a much needed break from the agonies of this season.

Well done lads for bring a trophy home this season and great work in the cup competitions, but take a long look at that league table over the next 3 months and ask yourselves what improvements are needed for 12/13.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2012 03:10:36 pm by Benito »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #51: May 06, 2012 03:16:55 pm
      Keep seeing that we need 'wingers'.

Do we really, are wingers the answer? I'd rather have versatile attacking midfielders personally.

Just thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, have many of the successful sides over the last few years played with out and out wingers?

United maybe but can't think of too many others.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #52: May 06, 2012 03:22:07 pm
      Keep seeing that we need 'wingers'.

Do we really, are wingers the answer? I'd rather have versatile attacking midfielders personally.

Just thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, have many of the successful sides over the last few years played with out and out wingers?

United maybe but can't think of too many others.

At least the other teams have the option regardless of their "preferred" formation. Downing is our only natural width at the moment...
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #53: May 06, 2012 09:17:45 pm
      Summary
      Pepe - Very poor season by his standards, Kenny needs to make the call and give the others a chance if Pepe isn't delivering. For next season I'd want to see Doni or Jones in the cup competitions as regular starters, keep Pepe on his toes and give him some rest for the league games.
      Johnson - Can't believe people are crying out for him to be sold, very good on the break and I think been pretty solid this season. We need attacking fullbacks if we want to do well, and from his outings this season has guaranteed himself the number 1 RB spot. Id still like to try him on the wing too or even a "sweeper" role.
      Carragher - It hurts me to say it but the many seasons putting his body on the line in the league has really caught up with him. You need defenders with pace nowadays and its abandoned Carra. Definitely would like to see him in a coaching role as his positioning throughout his career has been outstanding. Great servant to the cause.
      Agger - Top defender, shame he gets injured but when hes fit he has to be any mans number 1 choice.
      Skrtel - My player of the season. No longer a liability, along with the Dane have to be the future to Liverpools back line.
      Coates - I was dubious after his first few games as hadn't seen much of him other than highlights of the Copa America's and he was looking a liability. I think has shown real progress throughout the season and my number 1 CB backup.
      Enrique - Looked like a real astute signing by Kenny/Comolli at the start of the season but started to fade towards the end. I think he'll come back with a bang, but needs cover.
      Kelly - Seemed to take a few steps back this year. Still looks like a massive natural talent though and hope Kenny + the coaching staff can get him back on track.
      Flanno - Similar to Kelly, didn't live up the high expectations set in the run in to last season. Hopefully gets a good rest in the summer and targets next year to break into the first team.
      Spearing - Had some good performances, but overall the step up has looked to much. Hes been on the fringes of the squad for quite some time, but i personally think we need better cover for Lucas to challenge him for his starting berth, and Spearing just wont fit that bill.
      Shelvey - looked inspirational during his loan at Blackpool and i really want him to succeed. Had some good games, but overall i think he hasn't shown the same quality when playing for the first team.
      Lucas - been a big miss this season, was really starting to develop into the beast of a defensive midfielder needed. Contrary to popular opinion, compared to his first few seasons in my op, his touch and passing ability have really improved. Will be a big test to see if can kick off where he left off when back from injury.
      Henderson - been poor and i still dont know where his best position is. Has had a lot of chances to prove his worth but nowhere near his fee at the moment. Has got youth on his side which is my personal only reason for keeping him.
      Adam - Disagree with a lot of the posts trying to save him. Cant tackle and has to play the "quarterback role". Plus is he was cheap and can be used as a squad player but been completely let down by his performances this season compared to last. He'd be a bench warmer for me.
      Downing - Started well int he first game of the season, never really looked to put in that sort of performance again after that. He was brought in to service Carroll and his delivery has been poor. Id get rid and cut the loses.
      Gerrard - Poor season from Captain Fantastic, i just hope hes not showing signs of being on the wrong side of thirty and has a little bit more reserves in the tank.
      Bellamy - looked like our best summer signing during our cup run, but faded after the injury. Still has a spark though and i'd definitely have him in the squad/on the bench if fit.
      Kuyt - Has had a poor season along with the rest of the midfield and hasnt chipped in as many goals as should. Looks like starting to pass the peak of his career.
      Carroll - the anomaly. Do you, don't you, will he wont he. Looked absolutely desperate for most of the season, but started showing why Kenny has so much faith in him towards the end. Simple fact is even if you hate him, we would take such a lose getting rid, its not financially an option. Id definitely keep him anyways, a good option to bring on and need his height and power in some of the fixtures of the premier league.
      Suarez - ohh what would have been if Judas hadn't been, well Judas. Top striker, i think has been unlucky with amount of times he has hit the woodwork but needs to be the focus point of our attacks next year as hes a game changer and without a doubt the most skillful footballer in our squad, many - including myself might argue, the league.

For the summer i would focus on the following movers and shakers:
      Needed:
      Striker - instinctive goal scorer please  - up to 25mill, Soldado's shouting at me.
      Left Winger - Young pacey winger who can cut inside, take a gamble Kenny, we need more options on the flanks. - up to 8 mill.
      Right Winger  - proven winger with a bit of class, Adam Johnson/Affelay-esque. - 15 mill
      Creative Midfielder  - This needs to be a big signing, ie young emerging talent not pricey. Elm/Kagawa-esque. - up to 10-14 mill.
      Defensive Midfielder  - Need cover for Lucas, id go with an experienced player ending their career. - up to 10 mill.
      Left Back  - Enrique would still be my number 1, but need him to fight for his starting berth, Robinson might be able to fit this bill, if not id spend another 8 mill on cover, Glen doesnt cut it on the right, if Enrique got injured for the season, we'd be lacking cover. - up to 8 mill.

8+10+14+15+8+25 = 80 mill.

Outs
      Aquilani - The saga's gone on long enough, I want a young talent that can rock the boat and regardless if you think he had a good end of season a few years ago, i don't think he fits the bill for our new look squad "attacking midfielder" - 10 mill
      Cole - Same as above had a good season with Lille but our squad is crying out for pace. We should try to recoup some money from the free, to inject into some youth signings and think for the long term. - 5 mill
      Spearing - I know hes a devout fan but i just don't think he's ever going to be where we want him to be. - 5 mill
      Downing - cut our losses, get some pace and bring in a new look set of wingers. I know its crazy the position we need more heads but I just have no belief he will ever be near good enough. - 8 mill
      Aurelio - Cant see him starting and if Enrique was injured should use the opportunity to phase some youth into the team. - free
      Carra - Sorry to say it but the time is up and don't want him to have "cameo" cup appearances, hes better than that. Member of the coaching staff he should be, as have to keep his humour around the dressing room. - free/retired
      Maxi - I feel bad for Maxi as he's done well when called upon but then seems to loose the rhythm when playing regularly. We should try to get some cash while we still can and give him his much wanted move back home to South America - 3 mill.
      Kuyt - This cheeky chappy with live on in liverpool folklore, i still remember his "superman" costume in the Halloween party (of 09?) with the most druken smile I've ever seen. Great guy and be very sad to see him go but we need to look to the future and Dirks pace has left him. - 4 mill.

10+5+5+8+4+3 = 35 mill.

45 mill difference, which is don't think is exactly a lot for FSG to fork out over the summer before the fairplay rules come into play. Can see Chelski, Manure and City spending double/tripe that. Roll on the transfer market and a much needed break from the agonies of this season.

Well done lads for bring a trophy home this season and great work in the cup competitions, but take a long look at that league table over the next 3 months and ask yourselves what improvements are needed for 12/13.

I agree with your assessment and players in/out almost perfectly! However I think you are overestimating the money we will recoup from sales. E.g. Aquillani at £10m, Cole at £5m. Just cant see that happening.

With Kuyt, we could definitely get more than £4m for him. Considering his big game record and experience. E.g. Scoring in champions league final, playing in World Cup Final. £4m would actually be insulting.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #54: May 06, 2012 09:45:52 pm
      Kenny and the club have to be ruthless and get rid of players who simply aren't,t good enough :
      Henderson ...championship player
      Downing .....underperformed all season
      Adam .........championship,player

Would try and offload these ! Kuyt,Maxi,,for me Shelvey should be a first team regular ,obviously we need creative players in midfield who can change a game and score goals too! Our best player all season has been Skrtel ,Reina has had a mare of a year but is a class act that will up his game ,hopefully Kenny will get money to strengthen the squad £60 mill would do !
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #55: May 06, 2012 10:18:28 pm
      Kenny and the club have to be ruthless and get rid of players who simply aren't,t good enough :
      Henderson ...championship player
      Downing .....underperformed all season
      Adam .........championship,player

Would try and offload these ! Kuyt,Maxi,,for me Shelvey should be a first team regular ,obviously we need creative players in midfield who can change a game and score goals too! Our best player all season has been Skrtel ,Reina has had a mare of a year but is a class act that will up his game ,hopefully Kenny will get money to strengthen the squad £60 mill would do !
      Im pretty sure any of the bottom teams in the PL would like Henderson or Adam mate.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #56: May 07, 2012 11:53:16 am
      Pepe – Something looks to have bothered our ever green keeper IMO... Not his best season, however this dip in form is noticeable because of the high standards. One or two big errors have cost us, but this does not mean that he is a poor keeper and that he will not be world class next season.

Johnson – Injuries has cost him a firm place in the team. When he has played he has looked a threat – something we have been lacking from wide positions. With a solid winger ahead of him he will shine, looking forward to seeing him next season.

Carragher – As much as I hate to say it I believe this should be his last season. He has been world class for many a year, but the lack of pace is starting to show. Would love to see him at the club as a coach / assistant manager or a fringe player making a few appearances next season.

Agger – Best defender we have – great season aside from the injuries. On the ball he is class – so much so I believe moving him to a DM could be on the cards if we get another CB.

Skrtel – With Agger he looks like a different player, without not so great. Knows the league, team and what is expected so will remain at LFC for a while. However not irreplaceable and needs to perform better without Agger.

Coates – Surprised and pleased with his progress – no doubt this has happened because we have no other quality in this area. Hope to see a lot more of him next season before he becomes a regular.

Enrique – Signing of the season? Has faded a bit towards the end of the season, but the team has to be fair. Skilful,  has pace and gets forward. Hope to see a lot of him next season...

Kelly – Looks great but not sure if he is ready for 1st team each and every game – but in time.

Flanno – Not sure about Flanno to be honest, he looks good but a bit lightweight... Can dive in to a tackle which is not what you can afford in the Premiership, but well worth another season to see.

Spearing – Opportunity wasted by the lad here. Once Lucas was out for the season he had a chance to cement his position in the team – has failed to do this. Good player, but can’t see him staying for long – if he doesn’t start then cant see the value of having him on the bench.

Shelvey – Same as Spearing here... Looks good behind the strikers so will stay and should make this position his (or perhaps just behind Carroll) next season.

Lucas – Can he come back as strong as when he left? Lets hope so... Missed him a lot (think he still has made the most tackles this season!) and next season this could be difference.

Henderson – I hope this is a blip but he has not been good enough for a regular place. Think he was overwhelmed by LFC and has not stepped up to the mark. One for the future but needs to start taking on players and going forward.

Adam – Poor season, perhaps suffered from good player crap club at Blackpool... Poor in the tackle and for a set peace spechalist failed to deliver on this too. Squad player.

Downing – Flattered to deceive this season. Saturday was the final straw for me – reminded me of Kewell too much. Poor distribution, not tracking back, lack of hunger and desire. We will keep him and play him, but for me we should cut our losses and replace. 

Gerrard – Not a great season for super Stevie. Injuries have kept him out and when he played I think others look to him, thus dropping off mentally. Still a world class player – and one of the best we have. 

MAXI – What does he have to do to get a game..? Scores when he is on, but not on enough! If he was 10 years younger we would be laughing, however... Will probably leave and wish him the best.

Bellamy – With his knees being suspect this guy has been cracking. Fire, passion and skills... Sometimes looks like he is going to kill the ref – but if you could take his attitude and put it into others we would be class..! Give him as many games as he can handle next season, or impact player.

Kuyt – All action player that is now starting to age. Would let him leave, but what a player he has been for us over the years – some great goals and memories. This will make way for a youngster...

Carroll – I think most are the same here. Poor season, great last 5 games... If he can play like he did on Saturday for the season then would be amazing. Keep and play with two fast skillfull players behind him and we could be immense – think Drogba for Chelsea...

Suarez – Where do we start with Suarez..? Possibly the hardest season of his career all in all... Get some service to him and I believe that he will be a 20 a season striker with his skill and trickery. Been told by almost every none Liverpool fan that he is ‘an awful, cheating diver’  but if you ask them straight after if they would have him they all say yes. An enigma – and one of the very best  players in the Premiership if not the world...

There will be a big shake up again... We need to once again remove the poor players we have and bring in some quality. For this job I can think of no one better than Kenny to stay in charge. Would be a shame if he left – but can still walk away proud if that is what he wants.  Next season will be better – watch the FA cup final again and look at the players when the final whistle went. The look in their eyes was not of a team that is defeated or ready to quit.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #57: May 07, 2012 03:28:54 pm
      Reina - Probably his worst season in a red shirt. Looks out of sorts. I trust him to come back next season though, better than ever. Not many keepers are better than him on his day, and more often than not in the past, it is his day. However if he has another season like this one, it may be time to say goodbye to Pepe.

Johnson - Would've been player of the season, had he not been injured for me. For me, our best performer this season, bar maybe Skrtel. I really would hate to lose him, as I can't think of many RBs in the league better than this one. 

Enrique - Started the season brilliantly. Hoped he would keep it up. If he has a season like the second half of this one, I truly worry. I think Robinson should get a few games next season, whether it be in the cups or in the league when we have commanding leads.

Skrtel - Player of the season, mainly because Glen was injured. He has surpassed all my expectations for him, and him alongside Agger looks like one of the best CB partnerships in the league.

Agger - Good season for Agger. Very good. Has looked our most likely player to score at times, with those 60 yard runs out from our own penalty area. Love the lad, just wish injuries would leave him alone.   

Downing - Disappointing season for him. I think he'll be better next year though. I also think stats are very misleading, as had Carroll found a bit more form, earlier on this season, I think that assists chart would be up a few more.

Gerrard - A season to forget. One of his worst seasons for the captain. Here's hoping a nice rest, without injuries will do him good for next season. And some shooting practice.

Spearing - Very hard worker. Another one that has done well. He's not good enough to start consistently, but I definitely don't want to sell this lad.

Henderson - Our biggest flop, in my opinion. That may be because he is played out of position too much though. I hope he's given more of a squad player role next season. Judging from some quality he's shown in the center, he has the skill. Just needs to apply it and take a few risks.

Bellamy - Very, very good signing for us. Got him on a free too, which is brilliant. I'd keep him for another season, but then get rid of him. His injury seems to have taken him out of form though, which is sad.

Suarez - Beast of a player. Our best player. Not our player of the season though. He needs someone to take a little pressure off his back. Sadly, Stevie wasn't able to as he was injured and then has been pretty much off form. Carroll is starting to relieve some of the pressure, but hopefully a bit more can be taken off with another addition or two in the striker department.   

Kelly - Was fine and did very well, up until the Fulham game. That was a joke, but I won't judge him on that, as every player was ridiculously bad in that. Hopefully injuries leave him alone, too.

Lucas - Our most important player, now for me. We need him. He is a good passer and tackler and we value him quite a bit. Underrated around other teams, but perhaps a bit overrated on here, like Saint said.

Adam - Decent player, and hope we keep him. He's a good squad player. He's not as bad as Corbally, Anoop, and co. say. I hope to see more of his set piece potential next season.

Carroll - Starting to find his feet, which is good. Hope he doesn't go to the euros or olympics. Don't want to see him lose form again. 

Shelvey - Improved tremendously since his short spell on loan. Before he went he looked immature, overconfident and brash, since his loan he has looked confident and has a good chance of securing a future at the club. Very impressed with the progress he has made since his return.

Coates - He has his good games, he has his bad. Looks to be a pretty good player and definitely glad we got him.

Maxi - Good for the first half, gone in the second. He needs to move on as he is underappreciated by the King. Good player for us. 

Kuyt - A horrible season for Dirk. He has missed sitters and has been dire in front of goal. He's someone I look as a legend though, and he'll always will be one.

Carra - Give him another season and allow him to give it one more go at the league. Love the man and is liverpool through and through.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #58: May 07, 2012 06:50:26 pm
      That's exactly it. We really needed a striker and we really needed a Lucas replacement.

Why didn't we do it? We could have the FA Cup and 4th place if we had.

Yes, we would have paid a little more in January but if we achieved our goals this season which we have not come close to wouldn't it have been worth it!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: May 07, 2012 07:41:37 pm
      Ok, here I go.

Goalkeepers
      25. Pepe Reina - Definitely his worst season for us so far. He has been top class for long enough for me to believe he can get back to his best, and I have faith he will, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him. But he seriously need to look at himself and work harder to get back to his best.

1. Brad Jones - Beautiful story this season, bittersweet game vs Blackburn (penalty save + one of the most horrendous mistakes by a keeper this season), good game vs Everton. Like the guy but as a keeper he's average at best. Decent backup but that's just about it. I hear Gulacsi is better; if so, hopefully he'll be our backup next season.

32. Doni - Don't trust him at all. Had a good game vs Fulham but overall he's an unreliable keeper who I really don't want to see getting too many games. If we need someone to provide serious competition for Pepe, then I hope it's not him. 

Defenders
      2. Glen Johnson - I'm part of a minority here who actually thinks he's a brilliant player. Not even half as bad defensively as some make him out to be, and is totally adept to playing offensive, passing football. If only we had more organization in the middle, such as Lucas who is great at covering the fullbacks advances on the pitch, he wouldn't be so exposed.

34. Martin Kelly - I used to say I've never seen this lad play a bad game. Well, this season I have. But no one is infallible. I still rate him highly. I have no doubt about who I prefer at right back (Johnson), but I don't have any problems with Kelly playing either. This is probably our best position in the squad.

38. Jon Flanagan - Didn't have as many opportunities, and was thrown in a team struggling, as opposed to last season, when we were in a very good run, and that was detrimental to his confidence and progress. He doesn't still me with as much confidence about his future as does Kelly, but he has the makings of a decent player. Gone backwards this season but I personally haven't lost faith on the lad. Maybe a loan could do him some good.

3. José Enrique - Seemed to be the signing of the season until January/February, but now looks like a different player. Unfortunately, a much worse one. It is difficult to assess which one is the 'real' Enrique, especially cause I have never paid too much attention to him at Newcastle. He was a decent signing to say the least and hopefully will get back to his best once the team is more settled and balanced, something we are far from being at the moment.

49. Jack Robinson - He hardly played this season, hard to say if he has improved enough to provide competition for Enrique. If not, we could always use Kelly on the right and Johnson on the left - not ideal, but it can work.

23. Jamie Carragher - Always loved him as a player and I'm extremely grateful for several years of hard work all over the pitch, but he's definitely past his best. His energy was a fundamental part of his game and it's not the same as it used to be. Playing in a team without a proper DM certainly didn't help the CBs, but I'm afraid I'm not confident about Carra in the team anymore. We tend to play deeper with him, distribution is worse and he has lost his man way too often. Even if he doesn't choose to retire, I would try to keep his appearences limited next season.

37. Martin Skrtel - Player of the season.

5. Daniel Agger - Not much needed to say about him and Skrtel. Both were equally good, Skrtel probably better as he played more. I have the utmost confidence in those two, particularly Agger who I've always rated as one of Europe's best.

16. Sebástian Coates - Not the finished article yet, but not too far from it, I would say. A confident defender who may be a bit ruthless in his tackles sometimes, but I wouldn't expect any different from an Uruguayan CB. Will probably be regarded as a steal in years to come.

Midfielders
      21. Lucas Leiva - The fact most of our players never looked the same without him is a testament to his quality and importance in this current team. Not only he was playing as one of the best of his position, his importance is also derived from the fact we don't have good enough cover for him. I think it was a mistake not to bring a DM in January and our form since then has not changed my mind.

20. Jay Spearing - I never thought he was going to be good for the first team, so just by doing so he has proved me wrong before. He was very good last season alongside Lucas and has tried his best to replace him, but he's not of the same standard. For the squad, we are lucky to have a guy like him - but he's not a proper DM, nor anything above average going forward. A decent CM who is decent at nearly every aspect of his game, Jay has a significant role in the squad, but is not a player I would be trusting to be a regular starter, particularly on his own as our only defensive minded midfielder.

33. Jonjo Shelvey - I love this guy. I'm not sure whether he'll make it as a top player, but at the very least he's already a very useful one. In the hope we'll bring at least one more good midfielder in the summer, I would still keep Jonjo as I would trust him a place in the starting lineup more often than I would to the likes of Spearing and Henderson. If he is to be loaned out, hopefully it will be to a EPL club where he can actually play (Blackpool if they go up, for example).

26. Charlie Adam - Not even half as bad as some make him out to be. Adam has serious limitations to his game but has his qualities as well. His set pieces were definitely the biggest disappointment, as he was supposed to improve our play in that aspect, but overall he was a player of ups and downs who still provided more to the team than the majority of the squad. He's kicked when he's down but hardly praised when he's good - he's the only player in the squad people make excuses for when he does something right ("he only made that pass because he was given space") and seems to take the blame for playing in a 2-men midfield, instead of the manager. However his limitations, I think he offers something to the squad and would be happy for him to either stay or go, depending on who we bring for the position.

14. Jordan Henderson - I didn't know what to expect from him before the season as I hardly saw him play for Sunderland, but remember saying I was afraid we were paying the price of a first teamer for a youngster. And I think this season proved that point. I'm one of his biggest critics, but even more of Kenny in that aspect, for playing him too often, and most of the time in a position where his effectiveness is close to zero. I just looked at LFChistory.net and, for my surprise, Hendo is the player with most appearances for Liverpool this season (some of them from the bench, of course, but still an important stat). Is he ready for that? I think he's clearly not. I see potential in him, just not undoubted potential as some. Like Adam, at the moment he is a very limited player, but in his favor it can be said he is a much more regular player. The problem is, he's regularly average or just invisible. Won't make the eye-catching mistakes that Adam will, but doesn't provide the team with the opportunities as Adam does either. I would be more inclined to loan him out before I did the same to Jonjo. The only thing he has more than Jonjo is the transfer fee IMO. Needs to grow a lot as a player before he justifies being a regular starter for a club like LFC.

8. Steven Gerrard - Much like Reina, Stevie is one of our best players but who needs to step up next season. The problem for him are injuries, and consequently the fact he is not playing regularly. It's hard to say if this is gonna continue to happen next season. What is clear is that we can't depend so much on him as we used to anymore.

11. Maxi Rodriguez - A very intelligent player who is unfortunately way past his best. He still justifies his inclusion way more than others of his position in the current squad, but I would be happy not to depend on a player like him in our starting lineup in the future. His contribution to the game is very limited and he disappears way too often. That said, he's intelligent, can play in a pass&move style and gets himself into scoring positions all the time. He can read the game and use his brain which is something the next guy I'll talk about could do with. Wouldn't be sad to let him go, even though I wanted Kenny to have picked him way more than he did this season, but we should be able to do better than Maxi, and sign better players. If we get a player like that, and Maxi stays as a squad option, it's probably even better.

19. Stewart Downing - Probably the worst signing of the season in the EPL. 0 goals and 0 assists in too many appearances speak for itself, no matter how much you try to bring "luck" into the debate. Confidence is a key factor to any football player (dare I say to any professional of any field), but how someone react when things aren't going the way he want is what will ultimately make him a success or not. Downing started well but even then, I wasn't so keen on him. For a player being used with nearly total freedom (he hardly tracked back then), he should be doing better with his chances and final balls. Well, at least at the start of the season he found himself in 1vs1 situations against the keeper and actually looked close to score, which was way better than the majority of the rest of the season, where he was sadly just a shadow of a winger. Different to some, I don't think he has been too different from the rest of his career - sure, he could be doing better, but he always been inconsistent in his delivery and way too predictable (I thought we had learnt the lesson of "most crosses in the league" with Jermain Pennant).

Downing can be a lesson to this forum as well, as his transfer thread was emblematic of the ongoing discussions here through the whole season. Those (like me) who weren't in favor of his signing were deemed negative or just "whining bas**rds". Perhaps we (I can speak for myself only though) were just expressing honest and justified concerns. Most people here didn't want him 6 months before but changed their minds because Kenny wanted him and "Kenny knows better". I'm sure that overall Kenny does, but he is not infallible and the debate was relevant and genuine.

As for Downing going or staying, it depends on a lot of things which I don't feel able to evaluate. I wouldn't think twice before saying "get rid", but it would depend on how much is offered for him and who else we can attract to the club. The problem about keeping him as a squad player (something I wouldn't be against) is that he is probably on high wages. Players who get involved in £20M transfer tend to ask for big wages and it's probably the case here. I just hope he is not on the starting lineup every week next season - for me, he was a mistake and I hold small hope of seeing him prove me wrong. Hope is the last to die though.

39. Craig Bellamy - A very inspired signing. I honestly didn't expect him to have even half the impact he had, so Craig really proved me wrong this season. He still has quality and pace (something we badly needed) and an eye for the big game. The only sad fact about him is that the guy who was probably our best signing this season can't play as much as we need him to, due to his age and knees, which tends to get worse with time, unfortunately.

Forwards
      7. Luis Suarez - A brilliant creator and a better finisher than he is given credit for IMO. Yes, he's not Romário in front of the goal, but he isn't a poor finisher either. I believe that, if the burden of creating chances wasn't so much on his shoulders, we would have a far better finisher in Luis, who is often finishing out of balance or after having gone past a few defenders. The ban didn't help either, killing his form and momentum. I think he rushes a few passes in the willingness of playing a one-two and it can be very wasteful of possession sometimes, although beautiful when it works. I would like to see him choosing better the moments he does that, but more importantly I would like him to have players of similar quality and characteristics around him. Hopefully we will, next season.

18. Dirk Kuyt - I wouldn't be so fast to say his time in Liverpool is over. If he wants to leave it's another history, but unless we're bringing a lot of attacking players in the summer, I would prefer him to stay. Kuyt isn't world class and has never been, but he can play in a world class team and be effective, maybe even make them more effective. That's how I saw his great performance in the World Cup for Holland and his performance for us in our best EPL season to date. He's an intelligent player but, being limited in terms of pace and skill, he needs other players to fill these holes in his game, something he doesn't have in Downing, Carroll and Maxi. Definitely not a key player for next season, but one I wouldn't mind in the squad. Had one of his worst seasons but so did a lot of other players, and he wasn't involved as much as he used to.

9. Andy Carroll - Much improved towards the end of the season, although not enough to warrant a team being built around him - that is something I said last year and now find myself saying again. The fact we have won more games with him than without him is an indication that Suarez is not a number 9 type of player, not that Andy has been great. His work-rate has tremendously improved and with that also his football, which is a positive sign for the future but I'm still hoping he will be an option in the squad rather than an 'automatic' starter next season. Even in his best games, I'm afraid his movement, skill and short passing were deficient and I would be more inclined to bring a player who works better with Suarez. Wouldn't make much sense to sell him unless we receive a good offer, and I can't see it happening. He seems hungry to prove he's worth of a number 9 Liverpool shirt though so I wouldn't be against keeping him and seeing how far he can go, but we definitely need options upfront.

Overall, I don't feel confident in saying who should stay or go. There are a number of players (including nearly all of our signings this season, sadly) who I see as good enough for the squad, but wouldn't like seeing as regular starters. As a result, we have a big number of players who are relatively easy to replace, so it will depend on the offers we receive for players and if they want to stay or go (Maxi and Kuyt supposedly don't want to stay as squad players, for example). That said, I think wingers (I would prefer versatile attacking midfielders though, as someone said in another thread), a striker and central midfielder are priorities this summer.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #60: May 07, 2012 08:00:00 pm
      I would never have believed it if somebody had told me at the begining of the season that Fulham and them other cu*ts would finish above us. FFS
      pool07
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #61: May 07, 2012 08:21:32 pm
      Ok, here I go.

Goalkeepers
      25. Pepe Reina - Definitely his worst season for us so far. He has been top class for long enough for me to believe he can get back to his best, and I have faith he will, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him. But he seriously need to look at himself and work harder to get back to his best.

1. Brad Jones - Beautiful story this season, bittersweet game vs Blackburn (penalty save + one of the most horrendous mistakes by a keeper this season), good game vs Everton. Like the guy but as a keeper he's average at best. Decent backup but that's just about it. I hear Gulacsi is better; if so, hopefully he'll be our backup next season.

32. Doni - Don't trust him at all. Had a good game vs Fulham but overall he's an unreliable keeper who I really don't want to see getting too many games. If we need someone to provide serious competition for Pepe, then I hope it's not him. 

Defenders
      2. Glen Johnson - I'm part of a minority here who actually thinks he's a brilliant player. Not even half as bad defensively as some make him out to be, and is totally adept to playing offensive, passing football. If only we had more organization in the middle, such as Lucas who is great at covering the fullbacks advances on the pitch, he wouldn't be so exposed.

34. Martin Kelly - I used to say I've never seen this lad play a bad game. Well, this season I have. But no one is infallible. I still rate him highly. I have no doubt about who I prefer at right back (Johnson), but I don't have any problems with Kelly playing either. This is probably our best position in the squad.

38. Jon Flanagan - Didn't have as many opportunities, and was thrown in a team struggling, as opposed to last season, when we were in a very good run, and that was detrimental to his confidence and progress. He doesn't still me with as much confidence about his future as does Kelly, but he has the makings of a decent player. Gone backwards this season but I personally haven't lost faith on the lad. Maybe a loan could do him some good.

3. José Enrique - Seemed to be the signing of the season until January/February, but now looks like a different player. Unfortunately, a much worse one. It is difficult to assess which one is the 'real' Enrique, especially cause I have never paid too much attention to him at Newcastle. He was a decent signing to say the least and hopefully will get back to his best once the team is more settled and balanced, something we are far from being at the moment.

49. Jack Robinson - He hardly played this season, hard to say if he has improved enough to provide competition for Enrique. If not, we could always use Kelly on the right and Johnson on the left - not ideal, but it can work.

23. Jamie Carragher - Always loved him as a player and I'm extremely grateful for several years of hard work all over the pitch, but he's definitely past his best. His energy was a fundamental part of his game and it's not the same as it used to be. Playing in a team without a proper DM certainly didn't help the CBs, but I'm afraid I'm not confident about Carra in the team anymore. We tend to play deeper with him, distribution is worse and he has lost his man way too often. Even if he doesn't choose to retire, I would try to keep his appearences limited next season.

37. Martin Skrtel - Player of the season.

5. Daniel Agger - Not much needed to say about him and Skrtel. Both were equally good, Skrtel probably better as he played more. I have the utmost confidence in those two, particularly Agger who I've always rated as one of Europe's best.

16. Sebástian Coates - Not the finished article yet, but not too far from it, I would say. A confident defender who may be a bit ruthless in his tackles sometimes, but I wouldn't expect any different from an Uruguayan CB. Will probably be regarded as a steal in years to come.

Midfielders
      21. Lucas Leiva - The fact most of our players never looked the same without him is a testament to his quality and importance in this current team. Not only he was playing as one of the best of his position, his importance is also derived from the fact we don't have good enough cover for him. I think it was a mistake not to bring a DM in January and our form since then has not changed my mind.

20. Jay Spearing - I never thought he was going to be good for the first team, so just by doing so he has proved me wrong before. He was very good last season alongside Lucas and has tried his best to replace him, but he's not of the same standard. For the squad, we are lucky to have a guy like him - but he's not a proper DM, nor anything above average going forward. A decent CM who is decent at nearly every aspect of his game, Jay has a significant role in the squad, but is not a player I would be trusting to be a regular starter, particularly on his own as our only defensive minded midfielder.

33. Jonjo Shelvey - I love this guy. I'm not sure whether he'll make it as a top player, but at the very least he's already a very useful one. In the hope we'll bring at least one more good midfielder in the summer, I would still keep Jonjo as I would trust him a place in the starting lineup more often than I would to the likes of Spearing and Henderson. If he is to be loaned out, hopefully it will be to a EPL club where he can actually play (Blackpool if they go up, for example).

26. Charlie Adam - Not even half as bad as some make him out to be. Adam has serious limitations to his game but has his qualities as well. His set pieces were definitely the biggest disappointment, as he was supposed to improve our play in that aspect, but overall he was a player of ups and downs who still provided more to the team than the majority of the squad. He's kicked when he's down but hardly praised when he's good - he's the only player in the squad people make excuses for when he does something right ("he only made that pass because he was given space") and seems to take the blame for playing in a 2-men midfield, instead of the manager. However his limitations, I think he offers something to the squad and would be happy for him to either stay or go, depending on who we bring for the position.

14. Jordan Henderson - I didn't know what to expect from him before the season as I hardly saw him play for Sunderland, but remember saying I was afraid we were paying the price of a first teamer for a youngster. And I think this season proved that point. I'm one of his biggest critics, but even more of Kenny in that aspect, for playing him too often, and most of the time in a position where his effectiveness is close to zero. I just looked at LFChistory.net and, for my surprise, Hendo is the player with most appearances for Liverpool this season (some of them from the bench, of course, but still an important stat). Is he ready for that? I think he's clearly not. I see potential in him, just not undoubted potential as some. Like Adam, at the moment he is a very limited player, but in his favor it can be said he is a much more regular player. The problem is, he's regularly average or just invisible. Won't make the eye-catching mistakes that Adam will, but doesn't provide the team with the opportunities as Adam does either. I would be more inclined to loan him out before I did the same to Jonjo. The only thing he has more than Jonjo is the transfer fee IMO. Needs to grow a lot as a player before he justifies being a regular starter for a club like LFC.

8. Steven Gerrard - Much like Reina, Stevie is one of our best players but who needs to step up next season. The problem for him are injuries, and consequently the fact he is not playing regularly. It's hard to say if this is gonna continue to happen next season. What is clear is that we can't depend so much on him as we used to anymore.

11. Maxi Rodriguez - A very intelligent player who is unfortunately way past his best. He still justifies his inclusion way more than others of his position in the current squad, but I would be happy not to depend on a player like him in our starting lineup in the future. His contribution to the game is very limited and he disappears way too often. That said, he's intelligent, can play in a pass&move style and gets himself into scoring positions all the time. He can read the game and use his brain which is something the next guy I'll talk about could do with. Wouldn't be sad to let him go, even though I wanted Kenny to have picked him way more than he did this season, but we should be able to do better than Maxi, and sign better players. If we get a player like that, and Maxi stays as a squad option, it's probably even better.

19. Stewart Downing - Probably the worst signing of the season in the EPL. 0 goals and 0 assists in too many appearances speak for itself, no matter how much you try to bring "luck" into the debate. Confidence is a key factor to any football player (dare I say to any professional of any field), but how someone react when things aren't going the way he want is what will ultimately make him a success or not. Downing started well but even then, I wasn't so keen on him. For a player being used with nearly total freedom (he hardly tracked back then), he should be doing better with his chances and final balls. Well, at least at the start of the season he found himself in 1vs1 situations against the keeper and actually looked close to score, which was way better than the majority of the rest of the season, where he was sadly just a shadow of a winger. Different to some, I don't think he has been too different from the rest of his career - sure, he could be doing better, but he always been inconsistent in his delivery and way too predictable (I thought we had learnt the lesson of "most crosses in the league" with Jermain Pennant).

Downing can be a lesson to this forum as well, as his transfer thread was emblematic of the ongoing discussions here through the whole season. Those (like me) who weren't in favor of his signing were deemed negative or just "whining bas**rds". Perhaps we (I can speak for myself only though) were just expressing honest and justified concerns. Most people here didn't want him 6 months before but changed their minds because Kenny wanted him and "Kenny knows better". I'm sure that overall Kenny does, but he is not infallible and the debate was relevant and genuine.

As for Downing going or staying, it depends on a lot of things which I don't feel able to evaluate. I wouldn't think twice before saying "get rid", but it would depend on how much is offered for him and who else we can attract to the club. The problem about keeping him as a squad player (something I wouldn't be against) is that he is probably on high wages. Players who get involved in £20M transfer tend to ask for big wages and it's probably the case here. I just hope he is not on the starting lineup every week next season - for me, he was a mistake and I hold small hope of seeing him prove me wrong. Hope is the last to die though.

39. Craig Bellamy - A very inspired signing. I honestly didn't expect him to have even half the impact he had, so Craig really proved me wrong this season. He still has quality and pace (something we badly needed) and an eye for the big game. The only sad fact about him is that the guy who was probably our best signing this season can't play as much as we need him to, due to his age and knees, which tends to get worse with time, unfortunately.

Forwards
      7. Luis Suarez - A brilliant creator and a better finisher than he is given credit for IMO. Yes, he's not Romário in front of the goal, but he isn't a poor finisher either. I believe that, if the burden of creating chances wasn't so much on his shoulders, we would have a far better finisher in Luis, who is often finishing out of balance or after having gone past a few defenders. The ban didn't help either, killing his form and momentum. I think he rushes a few passes in the willingness of playing a one-two and it can be very wasteful of possession sometimes, although beautiful when it works. I would like to see him choosing better the moments he does that, but more importantly I would like him to have players of similar quality and characteristics around him. Hopefully we will, next season.

18. Dirk Kuyt - I wouldn't be so fast to say his time in Liverpool is over. If he wants to leave it's another history, but unless we're bringing a lot of attacking players in the summer, I would prefer him to stay. Kuyt isn't world class and has never been, but he can play in a world class team and be effective, maybe even make them more effective. That's how I saw his great performance in the World Cup for Holland and his performance for us in our best EPL season to date. He's an intelligent player but, being limited in terms of pace and skill, he needs other players to fill these holes in his game, something he doesn't have in Downing, Carroll and Maxi. Definitely not a key player for next season, but one I wouldn't mind in the squad. Had one of his worst seasons but so did a lot of other players, and he wasn't involved as much as he used to.

9. Andy Carroll - Much improved towards the end of the season, although not enough to warrant a team being built around him - that is something I said last year and now find myself saying again. The fact we have won more games with him than without him is an indication that Suarez is not a number 9 type of player, not that Andy has been great. His work-rate has tremendously improved and with that also his football, which is a positive sign for the future but I'm still hoping he will be an option in the squad rather than an 'automatic' starter next season. Even in his best games, I'm afraid his movement, skill and short passing were deficient and I would be more inclined to bring a player who works better with Suarez. Wouldn't make much sense to sell him unless we receive a good offer, and I can't see it happening. He seems hungry to prove he's worth of a number 9 Liverpool shirt though so I wouldn't be against keeping him and seeing how far he can go, but we definitely need options upfront.

Overall, I don't feel confident in saying who should stay or go. There are a number of players (including nearly all of our signings this season, sadly) who I see as good enough for the squad, but wouldn't like seeing as regular starters. As a result, we have a big number of players who are relatively easy to replace, so it will depend on the offers we receive for players and if they want to stay or go (Maxi and Kuyt supposedly don't want to stay as squad players, for example). That said, I think wingers (I would prefer versatile attacking midfielders though, as someone said in another thread), a striker and central midfielder are priorities this summer.

Quality post mate - very fair across the board
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #62: May 07, 2012 09:22:51 pm
      Reina,Johnson,Skrtyl,Agger,Kelly,Lucas ,Gerrard,Luis,Andy. All worth keeping in the first team but thats only 9 and we are supposed to have a squad of 24.Enrique might be better of without Downing they just dont work together.
      Henderson,Adam,Downing,Kuyt,Bellamy,Maxi. Not good enough in my opinion if we want to challenge for the Premier league not just this bollocks of top 4.
      Coates looks promising and we have a couple of good kids FLanagan was looking good and will come again.
      As we have done for many years yet again we need a good wide man who can beat a man and cross a ball all in one movement.
      To use a brutal formula if City win the league and they had the choice of any of our players how many would they take.
      We have two major problems.
      1) no CL football means the very best players will seek other clubs first beofre us
      2) We need huge investment in the squad and I cant see it happening.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #63: May 07, 2012 10:26:45 pm
      Quality post mate - very fair across the board

Thanks mate
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #64: May 08, 2012 02:34:40 am
      End of season report? Still thought we had two games left. My mistake.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #65: May 14, 2012 02:31:40 am
      I don't think it's been too bad a season in all honesty, yes our league form has been dire, particularly the second half of this season, but the club has the ability to improve massively next season, and that will come down to the players. Whether they have learnt enough this year to iron out many of the mistakes they have made, I don't know. I still think that several of our players will continue to be inconsistent, as we haven't built up a great deal of confidence and the pressure has been on for them to perform. They can however, take a much needed summer off, have a think about where they went wrong and how they can improve upon it. I cant see Pepe Reina having such a bad season as the one he has had this year, and our defensive frailties have become evident in the second half of the season. Enrique and Reina both seemed to struggle for form, especially after the Arsenal defeat which lost us in the 'race for fourth'.

That, I think was one of the biggest contributors to our downfall this season, the slide had begun somewhat before then, but we had the chance to instill hope and fight amongst the players, instead, apathy grew and when they needed to step up, they didn't. Unless that changes, or we sign players who have more confidence and determination, then we may see a repeat of this season  :-\

On the plus side, we've seen some excellent displays from Shelvey, who seems to be very comfortable in the team, and has a real energy and potentcy about him. Bellamy has been one of our better free signings of the past couple of years, and his experience will be important for some of our younger players to learn from. Skrtl and Agger have established an excellent partnership at the back, and both seem to be happy to venture out with the ball at times, we always knew Agger could, but with Martin, I always thought he was a bit more 'hoof ball' style, however, he seems to be more calm and composed now, and has done well as stand in captain on a few occasions this season.

Andy Carroll has shown promising signs the past month, and I just hope that the summer doesn't cause him to lose his confidence again. He now seems to be linking up better with Suarez, and with a bit more impetus from midfield, he could have a bit more space to work with in the box, and score more goals. Hopefully, we will see more of Raheem Sterling next year, particularly with the Europa League, and he may offer something that we don't have at the moment, but i wouldn't expect him to set the world on fire just yet.

We have played excellently in both cup competitions this year, and have had some very memorable days at Wembley, it's a shame we couldn't beat Chelsea in the FA cup final, but it will highlight to many of our younger players, and those who haven't played in cup finals, that you cannot afford to be passengers in the team if you want to win, something which Big Andy showed with aplomb when he came on.

I don't think that we will be expecting to dominate everything next year, as many of the players in our first team at the moment are still somewhat in-experienced at a big club, and will not yet have fully adjusted to it. But, I think there are many positives to take, and certainly in 2 years' time, with the right signings, I could see us in second/third and pushing for the title.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #66: May 14, 2012 10:56:25 am
      Very disappointing end to an up and down season, only consolation one trophy and back in Europe next season. Hopeful the side will go forward, with the addition of maybe one or two players of real quality.

I see winning a trophy and getting back in to europe a massive success to be honest, not a consolation
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #67: Jun 07, 2012 12:20:26 pm
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/07/liverpool-fc-end-of-season-survey-2011-12-your-views-on-the-reds-100252-31063451/

End of season review in the Echo with fans voting for best player, best moment etc. Opinions on there seem to tally up well with the majority on here, though the Dalglish part could cause some 'debates'.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #68: Jun 07, 2012 06:31:55 pm
      Suarez incident put a bomb under the club and Ferguson was left laughing his cock off.The players got Cup fever and took their eye of the league .New players took time to bed in and yet here we are with 6 of them in th eEngland squad.
      So a mixed season two cup finals and a dissapointing league season meant Ifelt we would improve a lot next season.A good cup team often turns into a good league team the following season hence Kenny should never ever of been sacked.

Quick Reply