Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)

Read 18489 times
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Re: Would you accept a fourth place finish for next season right now? (again)
      Reply #46: May 22, 2012 07:10:03 pm
      You dont seem to grasp what i am saying

Chelski, man u and man c in top 3, we finish 4th to claim the last place in the CL, but wait a minute Arsenal have managed to get to the CL final and have won and they now claim the 4th CL spot and we are relagated the Europa League.

Do you get it now.  Go ask the Tottenham fans if they still want 4th place?

How many times has that ever happened to a team that came 4th????  Spurs were just INCREDIBLY unlucky this season.

4th will get you into the CL qualifier next season.

NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #47: May 22, 2012 07:12:39 pm
      You hope, it would of happened to Everton when we won in 2005, but Eufa buckled to the pressure and then changed the rules. 

I would feel better with us aiming for 1st and then seeing were we came.  Its a bit defeatist if we are not even looking at first.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #48: May 22, 2012 07:15:48 pm
      You hope, it would of happened to Everton when we won in 2005, but Eufa buckled to the pressure and then changed the rules. 

I would feel better with us aiming for 1st and then seeing were we came.  Its a bit defeatist if we are not even looking at first.

If we come 4th next season, given how competitive it is now for the top 4, it would show the team have improved a lot and the following season we could realistically aim for 1st, with the right signings. 

Realistically aiming for 1st next season from 8th would require well over £100m of investment.

NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #49: May 22, 2012 07:17:21 pm
      Good to see the positive attitude on here.

Hope the owners are reading this, no need to spend so much of there money now.

Sound like Everton now, as long as we finish above Liverpool its a good season.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #50: May 22, 2012 07:18:33 pm
      Good to see the positive attitude on here.

Hope the owners are reading this, no need to spend so much of there money now.

Sound like Everton now, as long as we finish above Liverpool its a good season.

I am positive we can win the league in the next 3 years. Thinking we can do it next season without massive investment is just fantasy.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #51: May 22, 2012 07:20:57 pm
      Until we know what investment we are getting and who we are going to get as a manager, and then what players we are going to buy and sell.

I still beleive in 1st.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #52: May 22, 2012 07:22:35 pm
      How many times has that ever happened to a team that came 4th????  Spurs were just INCREDIBLY unlucky this season.

4th will get you into the CL qualifier next season.

Think we should always be aiming for 1st and whatever happens happens. We can talk about how much city or chelsea spend but lets look at our worst campaign in 50 years, including cups here:

Arsenal  1-1-0
      Spurs    0-1-1
      City       1-1-1
      United   1-1-1
      Chelsea 3-1-0

The premise is you want to at a minimum spilt with your peers (always going to be tough matches) and destroy the team below you. Our failures this year did not come from the matches against top sides (We always play well against our peers). Our issues were not being able to put away far lesser sides than our own, plain and simple.

We got up for the big matches and laid an egg against the small matches. The league position in fact is far more decided by cold nights at the brittania and lazy sunny days at wolves than it is the high profile matches.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #53: May 22, 2012 07:23:16 pm
      Until we know what investment we are getting and who we are going to get as a manager, and then what players we are going to buy and sell.

I still beleive in 1st.

I believe we could win the Champions League next season if we were in it, Nick. Because a cup competition gives the underdog a much greater chance of pulling off a shock.

Over a whole league season the better teams and squads always win out.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #54: May 22, 2012 07:30:44 pm
      Obviously!

We have been sh*t our last 3 seasons. 4th would be MASSIVE progress in the league!

I'd bite my arm off for 4th!
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #55: May 22, 2012 07:32:11 pm
      not a chance, why should we take 4th when with a bit of tweaking we could get 1st. we alll start on the same points so we all have a chance to win.
      if we dont get 1st then i will settle for 2nd,
      if we dont get 2nd then i will settle for 3rd
      and only if we dont get 3rd will i settle for 4th.
      i will never give in on the top spot and if we can keep improving on this our worst season then im happy.
      would like to win another trophy pref europa lge or fa cup this season but 1st is our main goal and then where evere we can get to !!!
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #56: May 22, 2012 07:34:48 pm
      I believe we could win the Champions League next season if we were in it, Nick. Because a cup competition gives the underdog a much greater chance of pulling off a shock.

Over a whole league season the better teams and squads always win out.

Underdog, i would hope we would be favourites.

As AzPatriot said, we play well against the big teams, if we get out of the mentality of losing against the lower teams then we can mount a serious challenge.  We need to beleive and make the players believe.  If its all down to money then we will never win it as the citehs and Rents will always win.

Liverpool have a habit of making the fans really work for the great times and if we can get that belief back then who knows.

Citeh only won the league cause the Scum bottled it, Tottenham came close and if Arsenal had not had the shitty start they had they couyld of also challenged.

So i will be dwon the bookies and putting a tenner on 1st (not fourth). 

How could i ever accept that its not about 1st.  I can imagine my little boy in years to come and me saying, dont worry about not coming 1st, 4th is good enough.  We do not want to get into that mentality of 4th being good enough, cause for a club like Liverpool it is not. 
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #57: May 22, 2012 07:35:19 pm
      If you are happy with 4th, then so be it, i want 1st and i will be disapointed if we dont.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #58: May 22, 2012 07:37:18 pm
      not a chance, why should we take 4th when with a bit of tweaking we could get 1st. we alll start on the same points so we all have a chance to win.
      if we dont get 1st then i will settle for 2nd,
      if we dont get 2nd then i will settle for 3rd
      and only if we dont get 3rd will i settle for 4th.
      i will never give in on the top spot and if we can keep improving on this our worst season then im happy.
      would like to win another trophy pref europa lge or fa cup this season but 1st is our main goal and then where evere we can get to !!!

Get your head out of your arse!

We are absolutely nowhere near 1st. We have been sh*t for 3 years now. We have been nowhere near 4th for three years.

4th would be massive progress. Progress I don't expect to see next season even!

City and United are miles ahead of us. Arsenal and Chelsea are much better and Spurs and Newcastle are about par with us.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #59: May 22, 2012 07:38:39 pm
      If you are happy with 4th, then so be it, i want 1st and i will be disapointed if we dont.
      You could be disappointed for a long time so.

Us thinking we can win the league next season is like Everton thinking that. Or Fulham. Thats where we are right now.

Our name is Liverpool. Our squad matches upto Everton.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #60: May 22, 2012 07:40:07 pm

We are absolutely nowhere near 1st. We have been sh*t for 3 years now. We have been nowhere near 4th for three years.

City and United are miles ahead of us. Arsenal and Chelsea are much better and Spurs and Newcastle are about par with us.

May as well stop watching us next season.

Dont worry lads about that defeat, as long as you finish 4th, oh yeah theres your 50 grand a week.

I may try that in my job and see where it gets me.

NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #61: May 22, 2012 07:41:14 pm
      You could be disappointed for a long time so.

Us thinking we can win the league next season is like Everton thinking that. Or Fulham. Thats where we are right now.

Our name is Liverpool. Our squad matches upto Everton.

Brilliant i look forward to the next years of sh*t then.

May as well give my season ticket up now.  No point in watching them.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #62: May 22, 2012 07:41:46 pm
      Underdog, i would hope we would be favourites.

As AzPatriot said, we play well against the big teams, if we get out of the mentality of losing against the lower teams then we can mount a serious challenge.  We need to beleive and make the players believe.  If its all down to money then we will never win it as the citehs and Rents will always win.

Liverpool have a habit of making the fans really work for the great times and if we can get that belief back then who knows.

Citeh only won the league cause the Scum bottled it, Tottenham came close and if Arsenal had not had the shitty start they had they couyld of also challenged.

So i will be dwon the bookies and putting a tenner on 1st (not fourth). 

How could i ever accept that its not about 1st.  I can imagine my little boy in years to come and me saying, dont worry about not coming 1st, 4th is good enough.  We do not want to get into that mentality of 4th being good enough, cause for a club like Liverpool it is not.

4th is good enough NEXT SEASON.  That does't mean it will be good enough the season after that or season after that once we're back in the Champions League and can sign better players to aim for 1st.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #63: May 22, 2012 07:44:42 pm
      Brilliant i look forward to the next years of sh*t then.

May as well give my season ticket up now.  No point in watching them.
      No but talk realistically. I've heard the same sh*t for the last few seasons.

And I say the same thing. Our team no longer has Alonso, Mascherano, Torres and we are not good enough to get 1st, probably not 4th either!

Unless you are completely in denial you would understand that a jump from 8th to 1st is impossible especially when you look at City's squad.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #64: May 22, 2012 07:45:34 pm
      May as well stop watching us next season.

Dont worry lads about that defeat, as long as you finish 4th, oh yeah theres your 50 grand a week.

I may try that in my job and see where it gets me.

You really haven't a clue fella!
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #65: May 22, 2012 07:47:13 pm

who are you to tell me that i have my head up my arse, just coz i want something doesnt give you the right to pull it apart. i know we are a long way off but if you would have read my comment i said that i just would like an improvement you Knob
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #66: May 22, 2012 07:48:05 pm
      You really haven't a clue fella!

Yeah your right i dont have a clue, i am just some stupid fan who pays money to watch my team.

What do i know.

Signing off for tonight, doin my head in
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #67: May 22, 2012 08:01:18 pm
      A big f***in NO for me, i want us to be aiming for 1st, if we fail then 2nd, 3rd and 4th would be deemed success i suppose,but so would finishing 7th,6th or 5th,

i think we're all going to be contradictory with this one, at the start of next season as with any other i want us challenging for the title, if i seem to be over ambitious then so f***in what, i don't go into each season thinking 'oh we only finished 8th last time' if get 7th we moved on, thats bollox to me for a club of our standing,

it's a head scratcher Billy has posed and it's sure as sh*t going to split many posters opinions,but for me, next season is no different from last, we aim for the top every time, and whoever is in charge will have my backing %100.     YNWA
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #68: May 22, 2012 08:08:21 pm
      A big f***in NO for me, i want us to be aiming for 1st, if we fail then 2nd, 3rd and 4th would be deemed success i suppose,but so would finishing 7th,6th or 5th,

i think we're all going to be contradictory with this one, at the start of next season as with any other i want us challenging for the title, if i seem to be over ambitious then so f***in what, i don't go into each season thinking 'oh we only finished 8th last time' if get 7th we moved on, thats bollox to me for a club of our standing,

it's a head scratcher Billy has posed and it's sure as sh*t going to split many posters opinions,but for me, next season is no different from last, we aim for the top every time, and whoever is in charge will have my backing %100.     YNWA
      exactly mate, just how it should be

Quick Reply