Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085903 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #1357: Jun 04, 2012 07:11:33 pm
      Cringed when i watched this on the official site.

Does this mean that Segura & Borrell are not doing the right job with the Academy?

Is this how LFC will play? (VIDEO)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/is-this-how-lfc-will-play-video
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1358: Jun 04, 2012 07:46:21 pm
      Nah Shabs,cant see Liverpool playing across the back like they did on that vid,we will see us containing the ball that's for sure but with a more aggressive style,
      i don't think Brendan will change that much because we already like to play the pass and move game, imo he will have certain players playing in a more intelligent way,ie;picking the right pass at the right time when possible,

if you look at the way Barca keep the ball with their little 5yard passes, alway's having a outlet to continue possession, and moving the ball forward, i'd like to think that is the way Brendan wants for us,

we're just going to have to wait and see, we might have an idea during the North American tour, if so we're certainly going to be entertained this coming season.

IBWT         YNWA
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1359: Jun 04, 2012 07:51:03 pm
      Cringed when i watched this on the official site.

Does this mean that Segura & Borrell are not doing the right job with the Academy?

Is this how LFC will play? (VIDEO)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/is-this-how-lfc-will-play-video

I think that is disrespectful to Borrell and Segura.

And also no offence intended to Swansea here but That reminded me more of Wengers "Sterile Domination". In that video it took them nearly a minute to get the ball into Liverpool's half and instantly played it back then under minimal pressure.It looked to me that the Liverpool team were set up to counter with pace there anyway and to just press in there own half.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1360: Jun 04, 2012 08:29:59 pm
      Quality Rush...

Being that you have been "Cyber sucking him" for the last few days...  ;D

I agree with the sentiment though.. Just made me smile mate..

What we could do with is a Liverpool fan based in Swansea who could give us a level headed veiw on Rodgers..Maybe give us local Swansea fans views.... Keep it all in perspective like...  :D

Ah stuff it, I was guilty of gushing about him, but stand by every word I said.

It just hit me that's all, that we've been placing him way up on a high place, and if he falls he's got a long way to go.

I'm just going to say I'm quietly confident going by what I've seen over the last few years.

As for perspective, he does seem to have trouble with the end product in the final third (or would that be final 8th!?). That's about it really. He plays pretty football, but like Arsenal did a few years ago, he needs to get some goals at the end of it all.

The rest is what we know already - that he's untested, that we don't know how he will fare with big bucks, that it's a massive gamble and all that.

Nothing really indicitive of him being a poor manager, just different circumstances we don't know how he'll cope with.

And we can't really blame him for that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1361: Jun 04, 2012 08:50:47 pm
      Liverpool Echo

Rodgers Still Keen On Ice Man Gylfi

Brendan Rodgers remains keen to sign Gylfi Sigurdsson if his proposed move to Swansea falls through.

Full story:- http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/04/liverpool-fc-brendan-rodgers-still-keen-on-gylfi-sigurdsson-if-swansea-deal-falls-through-100252-31107081/

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012 09:03:00 pm by stuey »
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1362: Jun 04, 2012 08:58:58 pm
      Saw on SSN that Rodgers is looking to loan young lfc players out to swansea for experience. This seems like a great idea to me as it will give them some premier league game time. Hope we see a few of them go out to swansea and shine.
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #1363: Jun 04, 2012 09:10:23 pm
      Agreed Alex, saw it too and I've always said there would be little point in sending some of our top youngsters to a kick and rush type of team to learn bad habits and halt their development.
      Swansea under BR did play good football and should that continue under their new manager it can only be a good thing for us and our youth.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1364: Jun 04, 2012 09:13:40 pm
      The likes of Blackpool and Swansea are great places for our players to develop. Wonder if Brendan will have some of the Uruguayan lads from Montevideo over for a trial.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1365: Jun 04, 2012 09:40:57 pm
      Spot the difference...

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1366: Jun 04, 2012 10:48:30 pm

Oh Jesus Christ!!

Hope people don't get on his back if we don't see "pretty football". Needs our support and he is going to have a tough job implementing his style. If what many fans believe to be true about certain players not sitting his style, we may be seeing a bit of an overhaul of the squad. That will the take time to jel, even if we don't bring many in. Those we currently have will have to get used to a new system. Important, however, to encourage the team as opposed to jumping on their backs when things don't go well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1367: Jun 04, 2012 10:55:49 pm
      It seems sort of surreal to think that Roy Hodgson was our manager,

What the F**k???
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1368: Jun 04, 2012 10:59:50 pm

What the f**k???

Well 'e was weally weally gwood at Fulwam.

;D

Sorry guys, that was poor!
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #1369: Jun 04, 2012 11:18:12 pm
      BR: ¨“I have the ultimate respect for Kenny and my door is always open for him. This is his home - he is the heart and soul of this club.

“He is the best player in the history of this club and his love for it is unrivalled. I am not here to win any race or competition, this guy is a legend in the game and here at Liverpool Football Club.”
       well said
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1370: Jun 04, 2012 11:19:47 pm
      One thing our team needs if we are going to play a Swansea style is a cutting edge. Barca without Messi and Alexis wouldn't be nearly as succesful. We need players to commit defenders and beat a man to open up space. Swansea had Dyer and Sinclair. We need some flair in the side otherwise we will be toothless.

Teams come to Anfield and defend the 18 yard line regardless of what style of football we play. We have to find a way to break these sides down.

Some thrust in a central position with Sigurdsson and 2 tricky players out wide I think we need. Downing is in my firing line as a player to be sold. I can't take another season of his sh*te.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #1371: Jun 04, 2012 11:28:04 pm
      Saw on SSN that Rodgers is looking to loan young lfc players out to swansea for experience. This seems like a great idea to me as it will give them some premier league game time. Hope we see a few of them go out to swansea and shine.

If, big IF there's any truth in that it could mean they've had dialogue and could pave the way for a couple of movers either way. Swansea know there's no legal way to enforce a gentlemans agreement to stop Brendan going for a Swans player so a compromise is the best option.

IF.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #1372: Jun 05, 2012 12:03:59 am

What the F**k???
      I think most of us have mentally blocked it out of our memories mate.

Like others on here,  I too thought KK should have been give at least one more season and was totally pissed off when he was sacked but, Brendan is saying the right things so I just hope he does the right things. My only concern is what do FSG do if he fails to deliver either this year or next. Do we keep playing musical managers?

Anyway, the guy has my full support.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1373: Jun 05, 2012 12:21:21 am
      Brendan Rodgers claims Kenny Dalglish is always welcome at Liverpool

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Monday 4 June 2012 22.31 BST

Brendan Rodgers has told Kenny Dalglish he is always welcome at Liverpool and believes the Scot's presence at Anfield would inspire his challenge of restoring the club's fortunes.

The new Liverpool manager claims an element of supporters would treat his appointment as Dalglish's successor with scepticism even if he ended the club's exhaustive wait for the Premier League title. But he has moved to avoid any possible rift with Dalglish personally by asking the Scot, sacked by Fenway Sports Group last month after winning the Carling Cup but finishing eighth in the league, not to keep his distance.

A previous Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson, felt Dalglish's presence as club ambassador undermined his brief spell in charge, with the Kop calling for the legend's return as Hodgson's tenure unravelled. But Rodgers said: "I have the ultimate respect for Kenny Dalglish. My door is always open for Kenny Dalglish. This is his home. He is the heart and soul of this club. His love for this club is unrivalled. He is the best player in the history of this club.

"I am not here to win any race or competition. This guy is a legend in the game and here at Liverpool Football Club. But what I know is history judges you as a manager and hopefully in time people will look back at what I have achieved here and I can walk beside these people. But there is no way I can try and overtake someone like Kenny Dalglish. All I can do is be myself. This is a prestigious club and this is a guy who has a wonderful history here and will continue to have a great future in terms of Liverpool. I can't worry about that. The only way you can overcome that is by winning."

Dalglish was sacked 12 months into a three-year contract despite ending Liverpool's six-year wait for a trophy and reaching the FA Cup final, but falling way short of expectations in the Premier League. Rodgers, however, denies Liverpool's owners lack perspective over the club's position.

"I've had real open and honest discussions with the owners," said Rodgers, who was powerless to prevent Dirk Kuyt leaving for Fenerbahce due to a £1m release clause in the Dutch international's contract. "They are beginning this cycle of realism as well. There is no doubt they want to be winners, because I do as manager, and so do the supporters and players. But in order to do that the cycle has to begin somewhere."

Liverpool's array of former players in the media, and at Anfield on match-days, have aggravated several former managers who have struggled to recreate the club's title-winning prowess. But Rodgers accepts criticism comes with the job description.

He said: "I respect every player who has played here and passed through the club's history. There are three types of supporters at every club. No1 is those who love their club and love their manager whoever it is because Liverpool is their life and their passion. The second group is supporters who will accept you but to earn their real respect you have to be successful. That's fine.

"The third group are the critics and you never change them ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win one league title you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never change them. I understand that not everybody will want me here. But that's part of the dance."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/04/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-kenny-dalglish

Nice one, Brendan.  :gt-happyup:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1374: Jun 05, 2012 01:03:40 am
      Brendan Rodgers claims Kenny Dalglish is always welcome at Liverpool

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Monday 4 June 2012 22.31 BST

Brendan Rodgers has told Kenny Dalglish he is always welcome at Liverpool and believes the Scot's presence at Anfield would inspire his challenge of restoring the club's fortunes.

The new Liverpool manager claims an element of supporters would treat his appointment as Dalglish's successor with scepticism even if he ended the club's exhaustive wait for the Premier League title. But he has moved to avoid any possible rift with Dalglish personally by asking the Scot, sacked by Fenway Sports Group last month after winning the Carling Cup but finishing eighth in the league, not to keep his distance.

A previous Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson, felt Dalglish's presence as club ambassador undermined his brief spell in charge, with the Kop calling for the legend's return as Hodgson's tenure unravelled. But Rodgers said: "I have the ultimate respect for Kenny Dalglish. My door is always open for Kenny Dalglish. This is his home. He is the heart and soul of this club. His love for this club is unrivalled. He is the best player in the history of this club.

"I am not here to win any race or competition. This guy is a legend in the game and here at Liverpool Football Club. But what I know is history judges you as a manager and hopefully in time people will look back at what I have achieved here and I can walk beside these people. But there is no way I can try and overtake someone like Kenny Dalglish. All I can do is be myself. This is a prestigious club and this is a guy who has a wonderful history here and will continue to have a great future in terms of Liverpool. I can't worry about that. The only way you can overcome that is by winning."

Dalglish was sacked 12 months into a three-year contract despite ending Liverpool's six-year wait for a trophy and reaching the FA Cup final, but falling way short of expectations in the Premier League. Rodgers, however, denies Liverpool's owners lack perspective over the club's position.

"I've had real open and honest discussions with the owners," said Rodgers, who was powerless to prevent Dirk Kuyt leaving for Fenerbahce due to a £1m release clause in the Dutch international's contract. "They are beginning this cycle of realism as well. There is no doubt they want to be winners, because I do as manager, and so do the supporters and players. But in order to do that the cycle has to begin somewhere."

Liverpool's array of former players in the media, and at Anfield on match-days, have aggravated several former managers who have struggled to recreate the club's title-winning prowess. But Rodgers accepts criticism comes with the job description.

He said: "I respect every player who has played here and passed through the club's history. There are three types of supporters at every club. No1 is those who love their club and love their manager whoever it is because Liverpool is their life and their passion. The second group is supporters who will accept you but to earn their real respect you have to be successful. That's fine.

"The third group are the critics and you never change them ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win one league title you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never change them. I understand that not everybody will want me here. But that's part of the dance."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/04/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-kenny-dalglish

Nice one, Brendan.  :gt-happyup:

Amazing read. At first i wasn't fully convinved even though his style of play is one i admire but i'm glad he is the club's manager and that it is somebody who fully understands the club and it's supporters inside out. Obviously this doesn't guarantee any cups or league titles but its certainly a much better start than that with Hodgson.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #1375: Jun 05, 2012 02:02:43 am
      Asked if this presence could prove to be a millstone, Rodgers said: "No, not really. I know there are three types of supporters at every club. Number one is those who, no matter who the manager is, they love their club and they will love their manager whoever it is, because Liverpool is their life and their passion and they love their club. The second group is supporters who will accept you, but to earn their real respect you will have to be successful. That's fine. The third group are the critics and you never change them, ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win the league you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never affect them. If you do a good job you are proving them right but they [won't acknowledge they've been] proved wrong so they will kill you even more. I only want to work with the people who love the club.

He can talk the talk !!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1376: Jun 05, 2012 03:18:24 am

One mustn't forget Hodgson being asked whether Anfield's atmosphere compared to any other place in the world and his response?

"Well, the San Siro maybe, or Old Trafford of course. But it’s certainly up there.”

No Roy. Just....no.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1377: Jun 05, 2012 04:26:45 am
      Its called thinking positive mate, you know, trying to get excited and get others excited by this new Liverpool and not having a good old, pessimistic moan.

Not having a pop so don't take this the wrong way but...

For me that train of thought is exactly what has left us behind at times. In the early 90's football began to evolve and the likes of Utd and Arsenal went with it.

We got Souness in and went backwards, we got Evans in and when that went tits up we still couldn't bring ourselves to sack him so we kept him as joint manager with our new French manager until that started going tits up.

Houllier then changed everything about our style of play, about our training methods, player diets and lifestyle and he implemented fresh ideas with regards to tactics.

Benitez then came in and again brought fresh, modern ideas in.

Last year, in the League, we reverted to type tactically in my opinion, all out attack or all out defend, and by very early 2012 we got found out by every manager and his dog. We failed to control games and unfortunately we were unable to halt the slide in form and heads rolled as it was quite obvious there were grave concerns with tactical knowledge and a decision was made to bring in somebody who seems to be up to speed on modern day football.

If it was that easy mate I would of applied for the job meself.

If you would have read any number of my 5000 posts you would see that I am not a moaner, nor am I being negative in any sense. I am eluding to the fact that people have their cocks out (sorry ladies) about a fancy football term that they think Brendan will wave a magic wand and will implemet at LFC and have us playing like Barcelona in a matter of weeks. That is not being negative but rather realistic and level headed, I have been on here far too long and have seen a number of posters raise and praise individuals at the club only to shoot them down to the abyss.

I am all for modern ideas and football and not in any sense backward I don't think we were found out by teams as you say, IMHO  we played some of the best football for quite some time but lacked the "rub of the green" and a true poacher to put them away had we signed one in January perhaps Comolli and Kenny would still be here. I guess you are going along with that old Sky Sports adage "Kenny has been away from the game for too long" which is utter bollocks. Arsene Wenger is often touted as some sort of a football revolutionist and alot has been accredited to him for improvising and improving the game even down to nutrition, but 7 years without a trophy is not acceptable in anyones books.

As stated earlier in my correspondance with Racer I have no problem with Rodgers implementing his ideas and style I am a bit shitty though at the fact that people are screaming from the rooftops that we have our saviour without him even managing a single game for us, or making a single signing.

To add to this tika fukn taka complexity model Xavi sums it perfectly " I get the ball, I pass X5"

Very very simple.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #1378: Jun 05, 2012 08:39:22 am
      The third group are the critics and you never change them ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win the league you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never affect them.

So F**k you, Jaime Kanwar!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1379: Jun 05, 2012 08:55:12 am
      Saw this yesterday and it just did my F***ing head in, so much so that I could not put together a comment.
      Well after a night's sleep and nightmares about the owl faced one..... things haven't improved.

Are Roy's mouth and his brain connected at all??

Quick Reply