Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3059780 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17250: Aug 17, 2014 05:19:01 pm
      The obvious one was Can, but I would have liked to see Ibe rather than Lambert.  Allen actually did o.k. but I think Can would have been the better option. Lambert for me did nothing (maybe distracted someone once or twice:) ) whereas I think Ibe would not only have given us more pace in attack but might have relieved a bit of the pressure on Johnson.

We won so it all worked out in the end !

Classic case of treating the game like Football Manager.

Lambert did a great job of giving the Southampton defenders - and the crowd - a big problem to think about; not just because of his skills but the fact he was a Southampton legend for so long and this was the first match back playing against his team-mates.

The psychological aspect of team management can be just as important as playing the player with the best stats.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17251: Aug 17, 2014 05:27:39 pm
      Classic case of treating the game like Football Manager.

Lambert did a great job of giving the Southampton defenders - and the crowd - a big problem to think about; not just because of his skills but the fact he was a Southampton legend for so long and this was the first match back playing against his team-mates.

The psychological aspect of team management can be just as important as playing the player with the best stats.

Mate i don't think it was a psychological move, if it was beneficial it was only because of the physical threat Lambert posed, we could launch the ball up top with more effectiveness because of him and he was ok and i guess it allowed Sturridge more space.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17252: Aug 17, 2014 05:28:39 pm
      Thought Brendan did well.

Not so much with the starting line up, I hate Gerrard and Lucas as the holding players in a 4-2-3-1.
      I guess the fact Can had a knock saw that change.

Where he did well was in the changes, which ultimately won us the game.
      Already 3 points up on the games compared to last season.
      Still has his new midfield to come into play.

Looking forward to how it goes with Lallana, Markovic and Can.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17253: Aug 17, 2014 05:35:22 pm
      Good day at the office for Brendan. I think his hands were tied with the Can injury (I heard rumours that he had a hamstring strain) and didn't feel Allen could make the impact if he started from the beginning but could fully utilise his energy in a more tired environemnt. I think he had it in his mind that Allen would be his key sub and so it proved. Allen would have come on at 1-0 or 1-1 on the hour mark. I'm certain it was a tactical ploy. You tread a fine line by playing a match that is dependent on how your subs will play out later on but Brendan did just that and it payed off. Lambert offered a bit of much needed strength as we looked like we were getting outfought by Southampton who surprised me in their strength and energy. Well managed strategy from Brendan. Brought home the three points in my view.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #17254: Aug 17, 2014 06:10:42 pm
      https://vine.co/v/M3JzTQJrKUP

I feel you Boss :D

Decent start, onwards and upwards.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17255: Aug 17, 2014 06:12:04 pm

It will be a worrying day if Brendan stops celebrating in that manner! Love it!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17256: Aug 17, 2014 06:24:01 pm

I laughed so much at the bit where he goes from being a lunatic to just a casual clap :D. It reminded me of when you see somebody leg it for the bus and then they casually slow down as though they didn't want to get on it anyway ;D
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #17257: Aug 17, 2014 06:27:42 pm
      Yeah, starting Lucas and Gerrard as the two central midfielders didn't work, especially in a game with both teams playing high intensity football. The lack of mobility there was exposed - I thought Gerrard had a good start, his passing and distribution was good, but the game seemed to pass him by when we were on the backfoot.

Lucas was pretty abject to be fair - his passing and touch was poor, and there was a couple of occasions he gave away possession because of this, leaving us under threat. With a more commanding midfielder and one who can cope with the pace of the game, we could have taken more control of the game. Certainly when Allen came on, his presence pinned back the defence when we had that good spell, with Lambert creating more space too. Allen's usefulness was there for all to see today - if he hadn't come on, or Lambert, we wouldn't have won the game, so great tactical change from Brendan. Liverpool last year had the fewest amount of substitutions I heard, so that tells us that Brendan's game plan from the start is usually spot on. But it's encouraging to see his ability in rectifying any possible errors too, and without that intelligence, likewise we wouldn't have won the game.

With more training and more minutes under their belt, the team will go through the gears again. Today we were in first gear for most of it, but we'll get up to speed. But we got the three points importantly, and lets remind ourselves that a first day three pointer still seems like a luxury to Liverpool what with a pretty poor record on our opening match.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17258: Aug 17, 2014 08:35:17 pm
      I think we got lucky today and Rodgers response to the second goal showed it all. We set out leaving too much space in the middle. Lucas was not upto the task of playing in that formation. Not many of our fans would have picked him to start. Allen surprised me with a decent performance today but we could have won 2-0 or more if we'd set out better from the start. Against better opposition we won't  get away with such naivety. Rodgers does not need to play an almost diamond like formation. I'd rather a 4-3-3 or 4 2 3 1. I'd be brave and put Moreno in my first 11. I'd keep Manquillo on the other side.  I think he did alright today.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #17259: Aug 17, 2014 09:18:51 pm
      I think Brendan got away with it today. It doesn't happen very often but now and then we have a game where it is absolutely clear that things aren't working (the Villa game last season at Anfield jumps out) and he has had an opportunity to change it before we concede but he doesn't. Today was another such game and I hope lessons are learned in terms of our midfield. We lacked mobility, pace and the threat (or ability) to carry the ball and commit defenders thus freeing up our attacking players.

I liked the subs though, most bemoaned the introduction of Joe Allen but he came on and have us a bit of zip in the middle of the park and Rickie (despite looking like a statue up there) certainly gave Saints something different to think about and I think a bit of variety was needed at that point because they simply had us bottled up as an attacking force.

I was screaming for a bloody 3rd sub to come on and kill some time in added time though.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014 09:34:36 pm by Scottbot »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17260: Aug 17, 2014 09:59:01 pm
      I think Brendan got away with it today. It doesn't happen very often but now and then we have a game where it is absolutely clear that things aren't working (the Villa game last season at Anfield jumps out) and he has had an opportunity to change it before we concede but he doesn't. Today was another such game and I hope lessons are learned in terms of our midfield. We lacked mobility, pace and the threat (or ability) to carry the ball and commit defenders thus freeing up our attacking players.

I liked the subs though, most bemoaned the introduction of Joe Allen but he came on and have us a bit of zip in the middle of the park and Rickie (despite looking like a statue up there) certainly gave Saints something different to think about and I think a bit of variety was needed at that point because they simply had us bottled up as an attacking force.

I was screaming for a bloody 3rd sub to come on and kill some time in added time though.
      I can agree with all that but usually ref adds 30 seconds on for a sub regardless of when it's made anyway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,382 posts | 6404 
      Reply #17261: Aug 17, 2014 10:09:37 pm
      Thought he should have started Can over Lucas, but he did make some brave, inventive substitutions that paid off, that's why he gets good money for managing and I don't. ;D
      SyntaxError
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #17262: Aug 17, 2014 10:12:42 pm
      Must give him credit for his tactical adaptability near the end of the match, shuffling to the diamond formation was the key factor allowing us to pull through.

Hope he makes better selections for the starting 11 in the midfield though, especially with Man City coming up next. Gerrard+Lucas is a fast track to failure.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17263: Aug 18, 2014 06:33:32 am
      I think we got lucky today and Rodgers response to the second goal showed it all. We set out leaving too much space in the middle. Lucas was not upto the task of playing in that formation. Not many of our fans would have picked him to start. Allen surprised me with a decent performance today but we could have won 2-0 or more if we'd set out better from the start. Against better opposition we won't  get away with such naivety. Rodgers does not need to play an almost diamond like formation. I'd rather a 4-3-3 or 4 2 3 1. I'd be brave and put Moreno in my first 11. I'd keep Manquillo on the other side.  I think he did alright today.

Some valid points there Ribapuru, especially on Lucas, for me he was partly to blame for their goal
      Ithink the diamond suits us fine but only if  we play Gerrard as dm with Hendo, Allen/Can  and Coutinho /Lallana,  and leave Lucas on the bench,
      Not so much as being lucky today either I thought we took our foot of the gas and let them in, there was a spell where they looked like the home side as we sat back, I agree that Moreno should make his bow next week, never again do I want to see Johnson in our shirt, he is becoming a liability,once again he was sh*te, overall tho we were in first gear with some stand out performers like Sterling,Lovren, Henderson, Manquillo, Skrtel and Allen when he came on,oh and some brill saves from Mignolet too.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #17264: Aug 18, 2014 09:56:11 am
      Surprised at the starting line up, especially with Lucas, didn't see that at all, Allen should have started (yes I really did say that) with Can possibly coming on later. Felt for Lambert at the end being marooned up front on his own.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17265: Aug 18, 2014 06:37:06 pm
      Surprised at the starting line up, especially with Lucas, didn't see that at all

Same here, especially seeing as Can was used more during pre-season and started the game against Dortmund. Maybe he had a slight knock or not quite up to full fitness.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #17266: Aug 18, 2014 10:04:53 pm
      I think Can looked off the pace against Dortmund like he was carrying an injury. He certainly wasn't the beast that he had shown previously pre season so it was no wonder he was subbed at half time. Hope he is fit to play City as I rate him.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #17267: Aug 23, 2014 08:21:12 pm
      It's interesting to think that with brendan having only been at the club for just over 2 years, that he could now field a team that are entirely his signings.
      That is a remarkable turn over of playing personnel and support by our owners of the management.
      Can't think of any other Liverpool manager that has ever had that opportunity to develop a team of his own so quickly as Rodgers. 
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #17268: Aug 25, 2014 03:16:38 pm
      Interesting from the boss:

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ¡  4h
      #LFC boss also critical of Anfield playing surface. Reckons it's too slow. Says the Etihad tonight will suit his players much better

Also from the echo:

Rodgers is confident the Reds will raise the bar following their unconvincing opening weekend victory over Saints when they were indebted to Daniel Sturridge’s late winner.

The manager insists the Anfield playing surface was partly responsible for a display lacking tempo.

“Yes, maybe the fluency wasn’t there but we weren’t helped by the pitch,” he said.

“The pitch doesn’t help us at Anfield because the pitch is too slow. It’s not good at all. But there’s nothing we can do at this stage.

“The watering system is outdated so the speed of our game is sometimes slowed down compared to when we play on other pitches. The game was too slow for us.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #17269: Aug 25, 2014 03:18:18 pm
      Interesting from the boss:

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ¡  4h
      #LFC boss also critical of Anfield playing surface. Reckons it's too slow. Says the Etihad tonight will suit his players much better

Also from the echo:

Rodgers is confident the Reds will raise the bar following their unconvincing opening weekend victory over Saints when they were indebted to Daniel Sturridge’s late winner.

The manager insists the Anfield playing surface was partly responsible for a display lacking tempo.

“Yes, maybe the fluency wasn’t there but we weren’t helped by the pitch,” he said.

“The pitch doesn’t help us at Anfield because the pitch is too slow. It’s not good at all. But there’s nothing we can do at this stage.

“The watering system is outdated so the speed of our game is sometimes slowed down compared to when we play on other pitches. The game was too slow for us.

if that is true then its a major cockup by someone.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,382 posts | 6404 
      Reply #17270: Aug 25, 2014 03:22:37 pm

I'm going to have to go with the groundskeeper.

What do I win? ;D
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #17271: Aug 25, 2014 03:23:50 pm

Not heard him mention it before so possibly some problem over the summer.

Thinking about it in hindsight, the ball didn't seem to be zipping around like usual against Southampton.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #17272: Aug 25, 2014 04:41:12 pm
      Not heard him mention it before so possibly some problem over the summer.

Thinking about it in hindsight, the ball didn't seem to be zipping around like usual against Southampton.

I would have thought that like golf they would have a meter that measured the speed of the ball moving across the ground.

Quick Reply