Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085801 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17595: Sep 28, 2014 10:51:59 am
      George ?

Now where have we heard that name before ?   

Keep posting and I'm sure we'll find out.

I don't think it's George Lucas Skip if that's who you're thinking of.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17596: Sep 28, 2014 10:56:05 am
      I don't think it's George Lucas Skip if that's who you're thinking of.

Thats the one.   Mr Skywalker himself.   
      Pity.   
      I miss the vitriol.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #17597: Sep 28, 2014 11:42:29 am
      Thats the one.   Mr Skywalker himself.   
      Pity.   
      I miss the vitriol.

We're awash with them here Skip, don't wish that on us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17598: Sep 28, 2014 02:01:54 pm
      We're awash with them here Skip, don't wish that on us.

Yes but I'm back and up for it Stu.   ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17599: Sep 28, 2014 02:06:05 pm
      George (Lucas) wasn't a bad lad.... just very argumentative. We have worse on here now.   
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17600: Sep 28, 2014 02:15:23 pm
      George (Lucas) wasn't a bad lad.... just very argumentative. We have worse on here now.   

His posting rate some days Saint was a blur. Mozart of the keyboard with the mentality of Hitler.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17601: Sep 28, 2014 02:22:36 pm
      His posting rate some days Saint was a blur. Mozart of the keyboard with the mentality of Hitler.

:D

I'm not saying he was perfect  :D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17602: Sep 28, 2014 02:26:11 pm
      :D

I'm not saying he was perfect  :D

Nor was Hitler.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #17603: Sep 28, 2014 02:39:39 pm
      Pushing out Reina & Agger may haunt us this season as their experience was vital for our League & European campaigns.

for me its simple business acumen. We sold Agger and Pepe for a combined total of £9mil or so however we bought Lovren and Simon for over £30mil and who will argue that they are better certainly not me.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #17604: Sep 28, 2014 04:00:51 pm
      I remember Bill Clinton saying a key component of great leadership is accepting the things you are not so great at and taking the advice of experts in that field. Even Alex Ferguson accepted he wasn't a tactical genius and got Carlon Queroz in to improve the team tactically in Europe.

Rodgers needs to be big enough to accept he isn't a very good coach defensively. If he doesn't, he'll end up another Kevin Keegan type manager who played nice football but won nothing because his team couldn't keep clean sheets.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #17605: Sep 28, 2014 04:03:00 pm
      I remember Bill Clinton saying a key component of great leadership is accepting the things you are not so great at and taking the advice of in experts in that field. Even Alex Ferguson accepted he wasn't a tactical genius and got Carlon Queroz in to improve the team tactically in Europe.

Rodgers needs to be big enough to accept he isn't a very good coach defensively. If he doesn't, he'll end up another Kevin Keegan type manager who played nice football but won nothing because his team couldn't keep clean sheets.

I bet his new bird doesn't moan at him about that!!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #17606: Sep 28, 2014 04:04:33 pm
      I bet his new bird doesn't moan at him about that!!

Maybe she has taken his eyes of the ball.  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17607: Sep 28, 2014 06:09:49 pm
      for me its simple business acumen. We sold Agger and Pepe for a combined total of £9mil or so however we bought Lovren and Simon for over £30mil and who will argue that they are better certainly not me.

I'd argue combined they're worse mate and I hate to break it to you but the figures are closer to £4m in and £34m out, so a £30m loss for younger versions.

Brendan is facing a real tough task at the moment, but it's not without his own creation. Last year he had the tools to create his type of football, he could rely on the attack compensating for the defence. This year he needs to add emphasis to the defence and frankly he's a little lost doing that, has been since he came in.

The point Barnes10 raises is a good one, sometimes we all have to accept what we're not good at and seek help in those areas. I don't think Brendan will though and honestly can't see our defence improving throughout the season and ultimately that will probably cost us dearly.

At the moment it seems so many are expecting Studge to come in with a magic wand and solve all our woes, he'll most certainly improve us but there's games when he goes missing, there's games when he will be injured and we need more. After spending over £100m it's ominous that I believe the best answer to our problems is more players but of higher calibre. January can't come soon enough as far as we're concerned.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17608: Sep 28, 2014 06:36:53 pm
      I think things are far more rosy than it appears most of the forum do. I think we played pretty well on Saturday for instance, and I thought the defending was very good on the whole. Lallana looks to me like he might be a proper player, and while I'm not expecting Sturridge to solve all our problems, he will sort out a few of them.

I don't know how many games we played last season without either Sturridge or Suarez, but my guess is it wasn't many and we weren't that impressive. Once we have a natural goalscorer in the team, if we play as well as we did on Saturday we'll win most games. Also, I was pleased to see Brendan had another look at the position the captain takes up and when we give him the ball. I was a little surprised people felt Everton "didn't mark" the captain, they certainly would of if he'd sat in the pocket as we have become accustomed to. As it was he switched with Henderson while we were building from the back, making himself very difficult to just drop someone onto. This problem will be solved for a while now I think.

Up top I agree with BBB that Balotelli isn't doing us any favours at the moment. When Sturridge returns, the Italian would perhaps benefit from a period of reflection on the bench I feel. I think he's trying hard and I'm still glad we bought him, but he is a longish way away still from where he and we need him to be IMHO.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #17609: Sep 28, 2014 08:32:14 pm
      First task accomplished, let's see what the future holds under the guide of the "great" brendan

Yeah let's F***ing wait lad, rather than jumping for the knife and slitting our wrists.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #17610: Sep 28, 2014 08:42:19 pm
      Can't wait for the Boss to pick up Big Ears for the 6th time :D

YWA to some Boss.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #17611: Sep 29, 2014 02:19:41 am
      Can't wait for the Boss to pick up Big Ears for the 6th time :D

YWA to some Boss.

I'm his biggest fan but not a chance in hell. You need to me tactically and defensively astute to win the CL (or be Madrid/Barca and have a clutch of the best players in the world). We have neither
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17612: Sep 29, 2014 02:29:57 am
      I'm his biggest fan but not a chance in hell. You need to me tactically and defensively astute to win the CL (or be Madrid/Barca and have a clutch of the best players in the world). We have neither

How many "world class players" have Dortmund and Atletico had?  2 finalists in 3 seasons who came in with a whisker, both had managers who believed in their philosophy.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #17613: Sep 29, 2014 05:56:38 am
      How many "world class players" have Dortmund and Atletico had?  2 finalists in 3 seasons who came in with a whisker, both had managers who believed in their philosophy.

They had none, but Rodgers is neither Klopp not Simeone. That's the difference. Klopp is a tactical mastermind and Simeone is a defense wizard.

When everything was good last season, Brendan was praised as a God. Now it's his chance to prove that he deserves that praise.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17614: Sep 29, 2014 06:32:52 am
      They had none, but Rodgers is neither Klopp not Simeone. That's the difference. Klopp is a tactical mastermind and Simeone is a defense wizard.

When everything was good last season, Brendan was praised as a God. Now it's his chance to prove that he deserves that praise.

Brendan took a team that finished 7th the previous season to within 2 points of winning the title. I guess though he is no "mastermind" or "wizard" and last year was a fluke or it was all because of Suarez right?

Suarez will tell you himself Brendan improved him both as a player and person so give credit where credit is due, rather than lurke in the shadows and come out to kick a man when he is down.

To add to that the "mastermind" was outclassed merely a month ago at Anfield by the inferior Rodgers or do you have selective memory soft lad?

asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #17615: Sep 29, 2014 07:13:28 am
      Brendan took a team that finished 7th the previous season to within 2 points of winning the title. I guess though he is no "mastermind" or "wizard" and last year was a fluke or it was all because of Suarez right?

Suarez will tell you himself Brendan improved him both as a player and person so give credit where credit is due, rather than lurke in the shadows and come out to kick a man when he is down.

To add to that the "mastermind" was outclassed merely a month ago at Anfield by the inferior Rodgers or do you have selective memory soft lad?
      Pre season game?  ???

Its upto BR now to prove that he was more inspirational than Suarez last season.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17616: Sep 29, 2014 07:42:57 am
      Pre season game?  ???

Its upto BR now to prove that he was more inspirational than Suarez last season.

He was more than inspirational last season so much so he inspired Luis to stay one more season and play his best football. 

Not taking anythign away from the excellent season Luis had but the team were coached in a certain manner and way to bring the best out of him and absolutely put teams to the sword with some of the best football neutrals have seen in a long time. The coaching was done by BR and nobody else.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #17617: Sep 29, 2014 07:50:19 am

Are you serious??? You tell me that we won Dortmund in a pre-season friendly???

It's not only the Suarez leaving. In fact this is the minor reason. The major reason for our bad start this year is the lack of the element of surprise. Everyone knows you...everyone knows that our defense is weak as hell. And the most outrageous is that EVERY-F***ing-ONE knows that they can score at Anfield. 8 games into the season (inc. ChL and LeagueCup) and only 1 damn clean sheet against the Spurs, because they did the same mistake as last year where they were all up to press us....

1 clean sheet and our defenders still laugh at training photos....

So if Brendan wants to be amongst the elite of our managers now it's the time to do something. One good year may be good for teams like Aston Villa and Everton...Liverpool cannot stay in one good season. Liverpool means trophies and exceptional performances. Something that we saw last season but not so far in this season. And yes, when the team is not performing well the manager should get a blame. And so far the blame goes to Brendan since he made the player choices this year.

Quick Reply