Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085707 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18308: Oct 22, 2014 10:40:16 pm
      I have not said Pascoe is the defence coach anywhere on this forum, i said that we need to replace him with a defence coach.

Pascoe was a midfielder as a player so he wouldn't be much use as a defence coach.
      He might be handy for making the tea , When i think of the great bootroom we had and to the scutter we have now it makes me sad .

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #18309: Oct 22, 2014 10:41:14 pm
      Who compares him to Shankly?

You can back a manager and still be aware of his flaws.

Brendan's football isn't my cup of tea, I've said this many times but he gets my backing. I'd never compare him to our best, he has far to go to get in the same breath as them

Go look back at last season and see how many of our fans compared him to Shankly, it's silly to be honest.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18310: Oct 22, 2014 10:42:51 pm
      I really don't get our defence, the goals we are conceding are so bad it's comical. That's 3 times bt his season I've seen Lovren take a desperate lunge to try and cut out a through ball,  when staying on his feet and sliding in might have won the ball. He can't shoulder all the blame as everyone of our back line has fecked up at some point this season.
      I don't know how to stop the stupid mistakes,  I dont think Brendan can legislate for them,  but set pieces and corners is definitely something that can be worked on.
      Brendan clearly can't sort this on his own,  so he must bring someone in that specializes in this area.  That should be our next signing!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18311: Oct 22, 2014 10:43:35 pm
      Go look back at last season and see how many of our fans compared him to Shankly, it's silly to be honest.

People get carried away.. They shouldn't judge him to that standard last year but he shouldn't be written off by the start this year either.

I'm not sure what people want in all honesty? Would fans genuinely want him gone? Seriously? Bring utterly honest how many would prefer Rafa or A.N.other here instead? I'd be interested
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18312: Oct 22, 2014 10:50:52 pm
      People get carried away.. They shouldn't judge him to that standard last year but he shouldn't be written off by the start this year either.

I'm not sure what people want in all honesty? Would fans genuinely want him gone? Seriously? Bring utterly honest how many would prefer Rafa or A.N.other here instead? I'd be interested

no chance the last thing we need is a new manager no matter who it would be.
      For me he needs to lower his profile say less to the press and spend longer on the training ground.He should also kiss the feet of Jamie Carragher and ask him to come in and for some defensive coaching.He should reflect on how the F**k we signed Balotelli .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #18313: Oct 22, 2014 10:51:30 pm
      That's without question mate. Madrid were nearly asleep by the end of that game.

In fairness Luke - I think we lulled them into a false sense of insecurity....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18314: Oct 22, 2014 10:51:37 pm

Now is probably not the right time for me to answer that question but I do think that Rafa would have got a much better performance out of the same group of players than we saw tonight.

People were very happy to bring up the stats about Madrid vs us, well they took a serious dent tonight. When we go to the Bernabeu I can only see things being worse.

Mine and I think everyone's biggest is issue is now that we simply haven't solved our defensive problems from 2 1/2 years ago and no matter how much patience when something lasts that long and has had so much money thrown at it then Brendan needs to step up and sort it or his time here wont last until next in my opinion.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18315: Oct 22, 2014 10:54:01 pm
      Now is probably not the right time for me to answer that question but I do think that Rafa would have got a much better performance out of the same group of players than we saw tonight.

People were very happy to bring up the stats about Madrid vs us, well they took a serious dent tonight. When we go to the Bernabeu I can only see things being worse.

Mine and I think everyone's biggest is issue is now that we simply haven't solved our defensive problems from 2 1/2 years ago and no matter how much patience when something lasts that long and has had so much money thrown at it then Brendan needs to step up and sort it or his time here wont last until next in my opinion.

You can certainly say that the defensive issues were papered over to an extent last season Luke.

It's down to Brendan to look at what he has now and find a way out of it.. A change of approach may be the making or breaking of him
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18316: Oct 22, 2014 10:57:22 pm
      You can certainly say that the defensive issues were papered over to an extent last season Luke.

It's down to Brendan to look at what he has now and find a way out of it.. A change of approach may be the making or breaking of him

I remember the stick Rafa used to get over Zonal marking but his defensive record was very good.
      I am sure Jamie would be only to pleased to go to Melwood and put his boots on and do some defensive coaching.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #18317: Oct 22, 2014 11:03:22 pm
      I don't think it's unreasonable to say that we over-achieved last season and are under-achieving this season.

Manager gets "credit" for both.

If that's perceived as unfair so be it. I don't want to change him anytime soon - he's earned and deserves time. Oh and most importantly - it won't take us forward.

But, and this is the big but for me, let's stop pretending we haven't been figured out. We need variety. Quickly.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18318: Oct 22, 2014 11:06:01 pm
      Lets not write his epitaph lads come on now

Has he passed?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18319: Oct 22, 2014 11:06:32 pm
      I remember the stick Rafa used to get over Zonal marking but his defensive record was very good.
      I am sure Jamie would be only to pleased to go to Melwood and put his boots on and do some defensive coaching.

Do find it absolutely crazy he wasn't offered.

Used to watch him/Kenny/Gerrard talking when training the kids and it just looked such a natural progression to me. You can't buy that experience in the coaches these days and nor can those coaches command the respect a Carra/Gerrard would. Big disappointment for me seeing him become a pundit no matter how good of one he is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #18320: Oct 22, 2014 11:07:13 pm
      Got beat by possibly the strongest side in Europe right now.

Not going to sway me one way or the other on how I see the boss at the minute.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18321: Oct 22, 2014 11:08:51 pm
      Do find it absolutely crazy he wasn't offered.

Used to watch him/Kenny/Gerrard talking when training the kids and it just looked such a natural progression to me. You can't buy that experience in the coaches these days and nor can those coaches command the respect a Carra/Gerrard would. Big disappointment for me seeing him become a pundit no matter how good of one he is.

I am sure he could find time to sort them out.I would make them available any time Jamie could get there.I think anytime about now would do it.they have floodlights at Melwood
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #18322: Oct 22, 2014 11:11:01 pm

I haven't watched the game yet (don't know if I will have the stomach to either) but it sounds like it wasn't getting beat by a better side because they are better, but because we flat out sucked. If we weren't set up right then Brendan would have to take credit for at least some of it.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #18323: Oct 22, 2014 11:12:25 pm

Me either. We are also sitting 5th in a league, this season, where it looks like any team can beat you no matter who you are.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18324: Oct 22, 2014 11:15:03 pm
      I haven't watched the game yet (don't know if I will have the stomach to either) but it sounds like it wasn't getting beat by a better side because they are better, but because we flat out sucked. If we weren't set up right then Brendan would have to take credit for at least some of it.

the gulf in class was huge and the scoreline flattered us and RM could have found a lot more goals if they really wanted to.
      What seems to be missing is a sense of outrage from some posters they still think things will get better I don't.
      Last season when we were flying tonights game could have been a true classic.How can you invest so much into a club and take so many backward steps.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,945 posts | 287 
      Reply #18325: Oct 22, 2014 11:17:49 pm
      Get Hansen in. He knows a thing or 2 about set pieces.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18326: Oct 22, 2014 11:19:17 pm
      the gulf in class was huge and the scoreline flattered us and RM could have found a lot more goals if they really wanted to.
      What seems to be missing is a sense of outrage from some posters they still think things will get better I don't.
      Last season when we were flying tonights game could have been a true classic.How can you invest so much into a club and take so many backward steps.

It's the level of acceptance that's a bit depressing.

Before the game we're told don't vote that we'll lose, what kind of support is that etc etc.

Then after the game, of course we're just that bad and they're that good, we should expect it... it's one or the other lads.

I don't appreciate expecting my team to get coasted all over at home against anybody. I support my team by demanding better than the offering we had today and when Brendan comes out and says "we were outstanding in the 2nd half" by which time the game was over and Real Madrid had their feet up I find it a bit tough to swallow.

(for anyone that didn't see the game Madrid should still have won that 2nd half by a couple or more on the balance of chances)
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #18327: Oct 22, 2014 11:22:56 pm
      Gaffer certainly has his work cut out and hasn't he. I actually think that 2nd half isn't a bad little blue-print. No more passengers, get our best and most energetic players onto the pitch and see if we can recapture some of the movement and fluidity of last season. I'm more than happy to see Sterling play in that false 9 position. Neither Balotelli or Lambert suit our game, it's plainly and painfully obvious to everyone and there is no more time to learn how to adept to having them in the starting line-up. I'd look to play a little more defensively, sit Allen or Can in there with Gerrard and let Lallana, Hendo, Coutinho and Sterling make things happen further forward, on the break if necessary. I'd also change up the back four, Toure seems a good shout right now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18328: Oct 22, 2014 11:23:58 pm
      Gaffer certainly has his work cut out and hasn't he. I actually think that 2nd half isn't a bad little blue-print. No more passengers, get our best and most energetic players onto the pitch and see if we can recapture some of the movement and fluidity of last season. I'm more than happy to see Sterling play in that false 9 position. Neither Balotelli or Lambert suit our game, it's plainly and painfully obvious to everyone and there is no more time to learn how to adept to having them in the starting line-up. I'd look to play a little more defensively, sit Allen or Can in there with Gerrard and let Lallana, Hendo, Coutinho and Sterling make things happen further forward, on the break if necessary. I'd also change up the back four, Toure seems a good shout right now.

the second half line minus Johnson was the one I wanted to start with.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #18329: Oct 22, 2014 11:25:46 pm
      It's the level of acceptance that's a bit depressing.

Before the game we're told don't vote that we'll lose, what kind of support is that etc etc.

Then after the game, of course we're just that bad and they're that good, we should expect it... it's one or the other lads.

I don't appreciate expecting my team to get coasted all over at home against anybody. I support my team by demanding better than the offering we had today and when Brendan comes out and says "we were outstanding in the 2nd half" by which time the game was over and Real Madrid had their feet up I find it a bit tough to swallow.

(for anyone that didn't see the game Madrid should still have won that 2nd half by a couple or more on the balance of chances)

This. Ancelotti also said in his interview that the game was over 60th minute, which shows the level Madrid were playing at in the 2nd half and they were still in complete control.

Maybe it's expecting too much to harp back to how we performed in Europe under Rafa and expect the same, but we always competed, every team knew they were going to have to work extremely hard to beat us and we were never dominated. Madrid were resting players for the weekend half-way through that 2nd half, it was an absolute no contest.

It's a steep learning curve for Brendan, but he can't take the same approach to the Premier League into the Champions League, especially up against the likes of Real Madrid, you need to have a plan to exploit their weaknesses and when the moment comes execute that plan. We went into that game with the same approach that we do for all games.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #18330: Oct 22, 2014 11:29:14 pm

Absolutely, being beaten by the class that is Real Madrid, is no shame and I will back BR all the way.

However, what will put him under pressure from fans is the performances against Basel and Ludogorets. They were simply awful.

And let's not forget, we have been outplayed by West Ham, Villa, QPR, Man City and equalled by Everton, Middlesbrough and West Brom.
      It's results and performances like those that will ultimately be the downfall of Rodgers if he cannot sort our defence out.

Quick Reply