Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057006 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18377: Oct 23, 2014 12:58:31 pm
      No doubt mate that a more defensive type coach would tighten them up

But does anyone actually see Brendan bringing someone in to do that? If you were to ask me my confidence level that something's going to be done about the defense I'd say I'm about 2% confident that there will be tangible change that produces positive results. I'm afraid that we're stuck with what we've got at this point.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18378: Oct 23, 2014 01:00:19 pm
      Problem is Walt, that we can't just add a Masch or Didi at this point in the season...we've got what we've got and if we don't turn things around come January it won't matter.

And I still think Brendan issued an ominous warning this past summer when he talked about how we won't be seeing spending sprees like that ever again...I think he blew his proverbial load and we'll be lucky to be seeing one player incoming in the next window.

I think Henderson could do it he has the legs too .We need to drop the Gerrard role as it does have an effect on the CB.s. Stick Henderson there  and put Stevie where he should be until his legs no longer allow him to play there then bench him. wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall today at Melwood for the debrief
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18379: Oct 23, 2014 01:02:18 pm
      How did his Swansea side do defensively?

They surely didn't ship in goals like we do.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18380: Oct 23, 2014 01:03:22 pm
      But does anyone actually see Brendan bringing someone in to do that? If you were to ask me my confidence level that something's going to be done about the defense I'd say I'm about 2% confident that there will be tangible change that produces positive results. I'm afraid that we're stuck with what we've got at this point.

Thats 2% more than me then mate.

I meant that a more defensive type manager could make those look a better unit, no doubt. But Brendan 100% wont bring anyone in and i cant see him changing his outlook on the game.

To be honest though in terms of the set peices the players have got to look at themselves as well, there is no leader there, not simply on the pitch but someone who will get the other lads to one side and say, look this isnt working, we need to sort this out.
      Take everything away, mark tight and win your header, if nothing else is worked on simply winning the ball would take away a lot of the errors and the players could do that themselves.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18381: Oct 23, 2014 01:04:48 pm
      I think he blew his proverbial load and we'll be lucky to be seeing one player incoming in the next window.
      So, that said (and the realisation that maybe the pervious defenders, we were told were in decline, weren't - just expensive.): I'm happy to reach the conclusion that...

If it's not personnel then it's coaching and that, if we will be lucky to see one player in January then that coaching better improve.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #18382: Oct 23, 2014 01:04:50 pm
      Thats 2% more than me then mate.

I meant that a more defensive type manager could make those look a better unit, no doubt. But Brendan 100% wont bring anyone in and i cant see him changing his outlook on the game.

To be honest though in terms of the set peices the players have got to look at themselves as well, there is no leader there, not simply on the pitch but someone who will get the other lads to one side and say, look this isnt working, we need to sort this out.
      Take everything away, mark tight and win your header, if nothing else is worked on simply winning the ball would take away a lot of the errors and the players could do that themselves.

Shouldn't that be the Captain's job? I understand during the run of play he's likely involved in other areas on the pitch but during set pieces he should be right there with them, coaching them on their assignments no?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #18383: Oct 23, 2014 01:06:45 pm
      Shouldn't that be the Captain's job? I understand during the run of play he's likely involved in other areas on the pitch but during set pieces he should be right there with them, coaching them on their assignments no?

If teh captain was in the back 4 maybe so. There was always stories from the old days that Hansen and the like would sort it out themselves at the back when it came to set peices. Tony Adams at Arsenal notoriously did the same as well.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #18384: Oct 23, 2014 01:07:57 pm
      So, that said (and the realisation that maybe the pervious defenders, we were told were in decline, weren't - just expensive.): I'm happy to reach the conclusion that...

If it's not personnel then it's coaching and that, if we will be lucky to see one player in January then that coaching better improve.

I don't know that it's not personnel at a level, but sure the coaching is obviously lacking in this area. Last year we could give up a couple goals because we were scoring 3 or 6.

Who knows what the answer is....the defenders we have "should" be able to get a job done and even with mediocre defensive coaching, they are veteran players and at this point in their careers they should understand defensive concepts...so why do they run around like headless chickens sometimes?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18385: Oct 23, 2014 01:09:39 pm

I believe that stuff starts with the gaffer on the training ground ready and drilled for 'in game' plays. Yes one or two need to be vocal in implementing it on the field of play but that's about it.

Ideally it would be a CB organising it not nessecerily a captain who is a midfielder.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18386: Oct 23, 2014 01:13:59 pm
      I watched the 2009 game at Anfield when be destroyed them. But although it was 5 years ago Skyrtel was still far too aggressive near and in the box and gave away silly free kicks he has learned nothing.
      Agger in front of Pepe had a lot of clean sheets it seems madness now that he couldn't have stayed and played when fit again is this to do with Brendan's Ego.
      At least we have a game against Hull to start to repair the damage of last night Brendans team selection will be interesting.Does he need reminding that Ricky Lambert is still here and waiting
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #18387: Oct 23, 2014 01:17:43 pm
      How did his Swansea side do defensively?

They surely didn't ship in goals like we do.
      So what changed? Is it the man himself?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18388: Oct 23, 2014 01:24:45 pm
      So what changed? Is it the man himself?

I was asking a genuine question. How did his side cope/get on with their defence. I have no idea as I didn't see them play.

Was there a coach there he didn't bring along?
      Was it a different system altogether ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #18389: Oct 23, 2014 01:29:05 pm
      Surely no1 is calling for his head, as some of the posts have suggested? Seriously?

I think some are on a round about way.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18390: Oct 23, 2014 01:30:14 pm
      http://youtu.be/gcQvL5Rxoe8

Whats all the Brendan face pulling "love in" with Ancellotti all about ?

Tele tubby big hug stuff.
      Scary

Did he work with him at Chelsea ?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18391: Oct 23, 2014 01:34:22 pm
      I don't know that it's not personnel at a level,
      Well, if we decide that it is, in fact, personnel then we must acknowledge that a) dismantling the original defence was a major mistake and b) Brendan has no 'eye' for a defender or goalkeeper.

Like I said - rock and a hard place.

In my opinion [conclusion I've now reached] - although a lot of folk have bought into the 'theory' that our defenders, past and present, were/are "sh*te" or 'in decline' - they weren't/aren't. And throwing more players at the problem won't solve it, where different coaching will.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18392: Oct 23, 2014 01:34:46 pm

I saw 1 but I am not sure how much medication he is on.
      There is absolutely no way we can afford to change manager now or even at the end of the season.I hope this is clear enough for anyone who thinks I want shut of Brendan . He just needs to lower his profile work hard and let his team do the talking.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18393: Oct 23, 2014 01:36:54 pm

Which "some" Si?

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #18394: Oct 23, 2014 01:55:05 pm
      I was asking a genuine question. How did his side cope/get on with their defence. I have no idea as I didn't see them play.

Was there a coach there he didn't bring along?
      Was it a different system altogether ?
      I'm trying to figure that out too mate. He got a side promoted. That side mustn't have done too badly. Comes over, implements his methods. But what's different that led to our defense doing so poorly? Ego? Mental? Weak tactics? Players? Training? Over analyzing? I am unable to put a handle to that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18395: Oct 23, 2014 02:04:33 pm
      I'm trying to figure that out too mate. He got a side promoted. That side mustn't have done too badly. Comes over, implements his methods. But what's different that led to our defense doing so poorly? Ego? Mental? Weak tactics? Players? Training? Over analyzing? I am unable to put a handle to that.

Exactly. His Swansea side stayed up and finished, what 10th? I don't know the GA but the ratio against would surely be lower there than what it is here.

If I were Rodgers, I'd seriously be reflecting on what worked at Swansea and would look to implement that here.

However, CB should be knocking clear 30 yard air balls into the 18 yard box. They're not even doing the bread and butter stuff. This side currently look worse than Evans' side with high balls into the box-and a compliment that is not.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18396: Oct 23, 2014 02:26:05 pm
      So, woke up to see a lot of the media attacking Balotelli. Yes, he didn't play well, but neither did the rest of the team. At the moment, I feel he is being made a scapegoat and over shadowing Rodgers' deficiencies.  It's typical British press though, majority of the time, always backing their own and scapegoating foreigners.

The real problem at the moment for me is Rodgers. You have to question why the defense wasn't thoroughly looked into, why we spent 16m on another target man player for him to become the main #9 and yet, trying to play the same style as last season. Infact, what is our style of football? We can't even play possession football, we struggle to play the counter attacking game due to our defensive abilities and Balotelli, how about pressing game? It's only Hendo that does it. 

Last season it was Keegan tactics, attack, attack and attack, but this season, I'm actually struggling to Identify what style of football Rodgers is wanting us to play, which begs the question, what is Rodgers trying to achieve?

I love his character and for me, there is no disputing his man management skills, but his tactical knowledge is less than impressive and it's becoming a worry :(

Also, why is it ok to heavily criticise Balotelli for changing shirts at half time yet fine for Rodgers to shake the hand of Ronaldo when he was subbed off?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #18397: Oct 23, 2014 02:34:48 pm

Don't have time to search back just at the minute Mouse but I did detect a general feel this some people wouldn't be too fussed if Brendan wasn't here.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18398: Oct 23, 2014 02:37:19 pm
      http://youtu.be/gcQvL5Rxoe8

Whats all the Brendan face pulling "love in" with Ancellotti all about ?

Tele tubby big hug stuff.
      Scary

Did he work with him at Chelsea ?

Saw that before the game mate, that is one crazy face Brendan pulls, clearly enjoying his first step into a big European game, bet he wasn't smiling so officiously on the post match hand-shake.

Brendan and our lads were given a lesson and he needs to bounce back in the next game against Real and show he's learned something from it. Last season, when we lost to Chelsea, he claimed it was something along the lines of easy to set up a team defensively and restrict chances for the opposition, he might want to try showing us just how easy that is because from my vantage point it looks bloody impossible for our team.

The signings is such an annoying debate because we don't know what restrictions FSG put on the budget, but we do know there are some and in the most crucial area which whether through Brendan or his successor needs to change if we actually want to "compete with anyone".

Since FSG bought us there has been a constant underwhelming nature to our signings, Dalglish/Commoli/Brendan have all come under fire, the money ball-bullshit has been floating around since their glorious takeover. Some have come out in defence of them quoting FFP and how close we're sailing to breaking the rules but you can ignore all that bullshit and simply look where we figure in the richest clubs in the world charts. We maintained our position without CL football, sponsors flocked to us, not because FSG are commercial wizards, because we are a sponsors dream! We get televised as much, if not more, than any club in the Premier League and we have a fan base that can rival anyone, blowing many of the 'richer' clubs out of the water. So it's time FSG changed their policy and pay the wages that can attract players rather than sponsors to our club.

I don't want to be a supporter of a feeder club, watching Suarez leave last season without being properly replaced is an insult to every person that buys anything associated with this club. You were short changed, you weren't respected like a loyal customer you were fleeced in my opinion. When I'm watching Sterling now I know he's a jackpot sign for FSG, he'll get farmed out just like the rest of our potential once they fulfill it. FSG aren't here to win, it's a con, if they were Cavani/Falcao/Reus/Fabregas/Costa would have arrived in the summer, no we got Balotelli and Lambert, they're here to sustain a CL position just like Arsenal. Winning doesn't matter to them, getting in the top 4 matters, they proved that when they sacked Kenny.

Honestly if I wasn't such a passionate and captive supporter I'd have given up on this club until real owners arrived, it feels like we're constantly beating ourselves up with frustration and disappointment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #18399: Oct 23, 2014 02:46:45 pm
      Well, if we decide that it is, in fact, personnel then we must acknowledge that a) dismantling the original defence was a major mistake and b) Brendan has no 'eye' for a defender or goalkeeper.

Like I said - rock and a hard place.

In my opinion [conclusion I've now reached] - although a lot of folk have bought into the 'theory' that our defenders, past and present, were/are "sh*te" or 'in decline' - they weren't/aren't. And throwing more players at the problem won't solve it, where different coaching will.

Unfortunately I don't think we are going to see any different coaching :(

Quick Reply