Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057975 times
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18515: Oct 24, 2014 08:56:10 pm
      If you're gonna slag off the 2nd half of Kenny's 2nd time in charge I hope you're gonna include Brendan's first half of his first season which was just as f**king dire!!

To be fair he did take over the side still stuck in the mindset of  kennys  second half in charge, Brendan's plays a totally different style.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,005 posts | 224 
      Reply #18516: Oct 24, 2014 09:06:58 pm
      he needs to see what we have out on loan and start bringing some back
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #18517: Oct 24, 2014 09:20:07 pm
      If you're gonna slag off the 2nd half of Kenny's 2nd time in charge I hope you're gonna include Brendan's first half of his first season which was just as f**king dire!!

Behave after what we've just spunked in the summer, I can't see us buying another striking option in the january window.

Rodgers inherited a team in dire straits, and had to be given time to implement his philosophy. It would take a magician to instantly change the fortunes of the team.

Yes, the philosophy is - very broadly - similar to Kenny's by playing football on the ground, but that's the only thing that's similar. Everything else had to take time. The argument that 'oh Dalglish played the same style as Rodgers, so the 'Rodgers philosophy' is non-existant' is futile.

Rodgers had ideas of high pressing and playing out from back, and in addition to rejecting the idea of wide play and crossing the ball, he also wanted his players to cut inside from one another. These are ideas that Dalglish didn't implement, and although the idea of quick interplay between players was an idea from Dalglish too, it too often failed as players more often than not had their backs to goal and passed backwards (I think Downing had an appalling stat where 90% or something of his passing was backwards). Rodgers style emphasised players to make more forward runs - it got a bit too static and predictable during the second half of Kenny's reign. Sadly, a lot of the blame had to be on the likes of new players at the time like Downing and co who made the team worse - the likes of Meireles and Rodriguez were far far superior than, say, Downing and Adam.

If the money was spent wiser, Kenny would probably have stayed. But the team was stuck in a rut and the coaching staff didn't know what to do. That rut continued into Rodgers first half of the season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18518: Oct 24, 2014 09:30:55 pm
      Kenny didn't have the Suarez Brendan had or Sturridge a huge difference.
      Kenny gave the fans 3 trips to Wembley and a trophy the first for 6 years.As for money being spent wiser           Â£210 mil spent in 3 years and we cant put out a decent striker.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #18519: Oct 24, 2014 09:38:54 pm
      Kenny gave the fans 3 trips to Wembley and a trophy the first for 6 years.As for money being spent wiser           Â£210 mil spent in 3 years and we cant put out a decent striker.

Did he have Christian Suarez from Ecuador  ;D

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18520: Oct 24, 2014 09:47:12 pm
      Did he have Christian Suarez from Ecuador  ;D

If you check out Luis's stats from Kenny's era he couldn't hit a barn door what he did hit was the wood work a lot.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18521: Oct 24, 2014 10:16:06 pm
      instead of spending 100 mil + on hummels, khedira and di maria/reus to improve the team, we spent the same amount on 6+ players, destroying the chemistry that was built through the last season, but everyone keeps bragging about how we dare to challenge brendan's authority like he won 10 titles with us so far and just has 1 bad season, f**k off
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #18522: Oct 24, 2014 10:19:01 pm
      instead of spending 100 mil + on hummels, khedira and di maria/reus to improve the team, we spent the same amount on 7+ players, destroying the chemistry that was built through the last season, but everyone keeps bragging about how we dare to challenge brendan's authority like he won 10 titles with us so far and just has 1 bad season, f**k off

Evening George you back from from the pub For your daily rant!

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18523: Oct 24, 2014 10:28:17 pm
      instead of spending 100 mil + on hummels, khedira and di maria/reus to improve the team, we spent the same amount on 6+ players, destroying the chemistry that was built through the last season, but everyone keeps bragging about how we dare to challenge brendan's authority like he won 10 titles with us so far and just has 1 bad season, f**k off
      Have a read through the owners thread, and you'll see why those type of players were not signed! I'll give you a big clue, TRANSFER FEES and Wages!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18524: Oct 24, 2014 10:31:18 pm
      Evening George you back from from the pub For your daily rant!

evening mate, everytime i see this thread i get bitter =))

@orchard red i don't think they will demand high wages, especially hummels and reus ... di maria and khedira yes, and if we really wanted to battle for the title, and ucl, we should have made an effort and pay those fees and wages for some quality players ...
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18525: Oct 24, 2014 10:36:36 pm
      Reus is one of the most sought after players in Europe, Hummels is on Arsenal and Utd's radar, it will take big wages to get either to come here.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #18526: Oct 24, 2014 11:03:17 pm

Up to the manager to coach them then. Don't think the turn around in fortune of Henderson is a fluke either.

You might not rate him as a manager/tactician, but he is undoubtedly a top coach.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18527: Oct 24, 2014 11:12:46 pm
      He built the team around Suarez last season, he'll do it again this season around Sturridge when he's fit. It's very hard to find an end product to an attack when there's no one to get on the end of it.

Lallana and Coutinho are more than capable of unlocking defences  with killer balls, when someone makes a run for them,  Sturridge will be that man.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18528: Oct 24, 2014 11:17:55 pm
      Another Echo interview for those who haven't read it:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-rodgers-confident-all-7996812

He built the team around Suarez last season, he'll do it again this season around Sturridge when he's fit. It's very hard to find an end product to an attack when there's no one to get on the end of it.

Lallana and Coutinho are more than capable of unlocking defences  with killer balls, when someone makes a run for them,  Sturridge will be that man.

Building the team around an injury prone player isn't wise. Even if you want to take the gamble, he had the chance in the Summer and chose not to buy players that compliment Sturridge.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18529: Oct 25, 2014 01:50:10 am
      he's starting to become the paranoid control freak Houllier and Rafa ended up as.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18530: Oct 25, 2014 02:02:47 am
      Still with you Brendan, fans obsessed with the past; not the now.

He's doing better than Houliier, Benitez and Evans, truth be told.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2014 02:15:45 am by fishpie »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #18531: Oct 25, 2014 02:38:32 am
      Still with you Brendan, fans obsessed with the past; not the now.

He's doing better than Houliier, Benitez and Evans, truth be told.

Dodgy transfers aside in the last year or so, apart from Benitez who I think was affected badly and exasperated by Hicks and Gillett, there is absolutely no case whatsoever of any manager from the past being allowed another crack at the job.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,377 posts | 6403 
      Reply #18532: Oct 25, 2014 02:39:21 am

Building the team around an injury prone player isn't wise. Even if you want to take the gamble, he had the chance in the Summer and chose not to buy players that compliment Sturridge.

That's actually a decent interview. We still do have everything in front of us and I sure wouldn't want my manager to be doom and gloom, he needs to be confident of righting the ship.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18533: Oct 25, 2014 02:53:16 am
      Dodgy transfers aside in the last year or so, apart from Benitez who I think was affected badly and exasperated by Hicks and Gillett, there is absolutely no case whatsoever of any manager from the past being allowed another crack at the job.
      Our past owners I've heard why Rafa left beause of that...
      One thing that frustated me with Benitez was it seemed to me- everyone was on a part time deal.
      He had more contacts in Spain and he was clever tactically but I saw too many players come and go.
      I couldn't keep up with the comings and goings.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18534: Oct 25, 2014 02:59:27 am
      I'm still on Brendans side 100 percent, when I turn I will turn badly, he deserves more of a chance, I don't like turning on the manager. The worst thing is not having given managers their full contract to turn things around.
      I question his appointed staff in Pascoe and Marsh more than him right now.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18535: Oct 25, 2014 03:16:56 am
      I'm disspaointed this season and I see all the errors, but I still think the problems stem from the managers coaching staff and not him himself necessarily , like I didn't think sammy Lee was amazing, who the F**k am I to know what goes on though?
      Don't lose faith, we are still up there at the moment.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18536: Oct 25, 2014 06:40:13 am

I disagree, I believe he bought exactly the type of players that looked like they would compliment Sturridge, in Lallana and Markovic, add the fact we have Sterling and Coutinho, all these guys are capable of unlocking defences.

You should know by now that Brendan has a limit of what he can spend on individual players,  so the type of player (world class) that would have made a huge difference up front,  was out of our reach.

I don't think BR knew Suarez was going to leave,  FSG certainly did!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #18537: Oct 25, 2014 07:54:46 am
      I disagree, I believe he bought exactly the type of players that looked like they would compliment Sturridge, in Lallana and Markovic, add the fact we have Sterling and Coutinho, all these guys are capable of unlocking defences.

You should know by now that Brendan has a limit of what he can spend on individual players,  so the type of player (world class) that would have made a huge difference up front,  was out of our reach.

I don't think BR knew Suarez was going to leave,  FSG certainly did!

I think the problem is that we prioritized every area apart from the one that needed it most. To finish a transfer window with one player we didn't want (Borini), one player who was told he wouldn't be starting games (Lambert) and one player who was brought in as a calculated risk because of a lack of other options (Balotelli), to me shows a lack of genuine foresight.

We spent too much money trying to strengthen the squad to enable us to compete across the board and not enough on strengthening the team to enable us to win games.

The lack of a genuine 3rd striker has cost us dearly in my opinion as we have been forced to play with a single striker since Sturridge's injury when if we had a third striker of reasonable quality he could have stepped in and at least given us some semblance of an attacking threat whilst hopefully bringing a little more out of Balotelli than we have seen so far.

I predicted before the season that I expected we would score around 75 goals this season without Suarez... at the moment that looks a pretty optimistic prediction as we are on course to finish with around 65 goals at the moment ....while conceding around 60!

Quick Reply