Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085382 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #20079: Nov 13, 2014 11:56:49 am
      Paisleydalglish's post is the best I've read on here in ages. I'm similarly bemused by our inability and unwillingness as a fan base to support the team and manager in difficult moments myself. At the ground, on the forums and on the phone-ins we certainly aren't behaving as if there is anything special about us as supporters at all. Aside from leaving early when we are losing, there is no difference in the way we are carrying on to other fans of clubs nowhere near so illustrious.

There are supporters of other big teams who are struggling who could put us to shame right now, it's very sad.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #20080: Nov 13, 2014 12:02:01 pm
      Since Division Two : 1962.

Uno Dos  Tres . ;D

Hahaha sound like the other fella off Only Fools and Horses there Skip.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20081: Nov 13, 2014 12:07:20 pm
      Paisleydalglish's post is the best I've read on here in ages. I'm similarly bemused by our inability and unwillingness as a fan base to support the team and manager in difficult moments myself. At the ground, on the forums and on the phone-ins we certainly aren't behaving as if there is anything special about us as supporters at all. Aside from leaving early when we are losing, there is no difference in the way we are carrying on to other fans of clubs nowhere near so illustrious.

There are supporters of other big teams who are struggling who could put us to shame right now, it's very sad.

Mick.

PD's post is spot on and very true.
      Its what we all want.

You and I have been at different ends of our appraisal of Brendan but we have at least respected the other's right to say what we feel.
      The one thing I will say is that I had a greater degree of expectation of the choice of someone fresh than I did when Hodgson was appointed.

I have taken bucket loads of stick over my doubts re Brendan.

At least I have the freedom and right to say how I feel and why I have said it.

I'm sure we will continue this in the not to distant future in SW19    ;D.

All the best.
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014 12:18:20 pm by eurored »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20082: Nov 13, 2014 12:13:16 pm
      I agree that Paisleydalglish's post is a cracking post, but I also understand that you can't force yourself to believe in someone, you either do or you don't (or you sit on the fence perhaps :) )

I still have faith in Brendan, but I can also understand those that have seen the shambles we have become this season, seen our transfer window blow up in our faces and who have lost that faith.

I was happy under Kenny, simply because I knew (or believed if you prefer) that eventually Kenny would get it right. I honestly don't have that same strength of belief with Brendan even after our last season heroics.

I think there will be a lot of changing views as the season goes on, if we start to win more games some of the doubters will jump back on board, if we continue to play terrible and our results are the same, a lot of those same people questioning others support will be jumping overboard to join them.

For the moment Brendan has my support and backing, but it is not unquestioning support and I don't guarantee if the season goes down the plughole that it will stay the same, but I think we will improve, I think Brendan will turn things around and therein lies my hope but not belief. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #20083: Nov 13, 2014 12:28:31 pm
      It boils down to expectations & after last seasons exploits on field this season so far has been nothing short of disappointing added with our recruitment programme in the summer, it also does not help when the team selection from the gaffer leaves some of us baffled.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20084: Nov 13, 2014 12:28:34 pm
      I agree that Paisleydalglish's post is a cracking post, but I also understand that you can't force yourself to believe in someone, you either do or you don't (or you sit on the fence perhaps :) )

I still have faith in Brendan, but I can also understand those that have seen the shambles we have become this season, seen our transfer window blow up in our faces and who have lost that faith.

I was happy under Kenny, simply because I knew (or believed if you prefer) that eventually Kenny would get it right. I honestly don't have that same strength of belief with Brendan even after our last season heroics.

I think there will be a lot of changing views as the season goes on, if we start to win more games some of the doubters will jump back on board, if we continue to play terrible and our results are the same, a lot of those same people questioning others support will be jumping overboard to join them.

For the moment Brendan has my support and backing, but it is not unquestioning support and I don't guarantee if the season goes down the plughole that it will stay the same, but I think we will improve, I think Brendan will turn things around and therein lies my hope but not belief.

I think maybe it's the nature of some of the comments about BR that people find hard to accept.
      Pull his tactics to bits by all means, but the personal stuff leaves me truly puzzled.
      It's like x-factor for football managers at times.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #20085: Nov 13, 2014 12:33:33 pm
      The same components are in situ now that distorted KD's return, subsequent exit and eventual recall to his beloved LFC.
      Those errors stand every chance of being repeated in a managerial or general context while the agents referred to are unwilling to genuinely immerse themselves in the institution that is Liverpool Football Club.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20086: Nov 13, 2014 12:34:10 pm
      I think maybe it's the nature of some of the comments about BR that people find hard to accept.
      Pull his tactics to bits by all means, but the personal stuff leaves me truly puzzled.
      It's like x-factor for football managers at times.

I agree mate.

Trust you to bring "nature" into it :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,682 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20087: Nov 13, 2014 12:49:59 pm
      The biggest question I have, and I'm not sure if it will ever be truly answered, is why the change of position on transfers?

Both Brendan and Stevie had come out stating that we needed "men" and that "one or two" to improve the team was needed.

Given that we then invested in the "Group" rather than one or two key positions are we to presume that Brendan was somewhat overruled or did everyone involved in Liverpool's transfers just get it wrong in the summer?

Brendan and Stevie's original statements would lead us to believe one or two quality players would come in.
      Once again though the cost was spread across the squad.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20088: Nov 13, 2014 01:00:12 pm

Tin Hat time.

Facht not Fiction ; Stats Dont Lie

Two and a Half Years  + Luis The Crazy Diamond +  Millions of pounds in new players     v     The Chosen One.

Plenty of Liverpool fans are divided at the moment over the future of Brendan Rodgers, with one group calling for him to be sacked, while another says that sort of talk is rubbish.

But the  stat shows exactly why Rodgers is under pressure at Anfield.

His win percentage is actually worse than "The Chosen One"’ at Manchester United, which is pretty fascinating considering Moyes was considered a huge flop.

Plus Rodgers has had much more time to put together his squad and played more matches – so you would expect that win percentage to be quite a bit higher.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/11/this-stat-shows-exactly-why-brendan-rodgers-is-under-pressure-at-liverpool-4944139/
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014 01:32:18 pm by eurored »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #20089: Nov 13, 2014 01:57:51 pm
      It is a complete myth to suggest that Liverpool fans always back their manager 100% all of the time.
      During Shankly's reign there was plenty of discussion about players over staying there welcome and don't forget he went from 1966 to 1973 without a trophy he did come close but he couldn't get over the line. He also admitted he kept his teams together in the early days for far too long.
      We support the team on the pitch when they are 3=0 down because they are clearly fighting if they don't fight they don't get the support. We support players who give 100%.
      Being mid table doesn't mean the team gets extra support if something is wrong it needs sorting and after nearly 2 season our defence has been sh*te and it has not improved so if people get pissed of by the same mistakes being made game after game when then maybe they have a point
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20090: Nov 13, 2014 02:02:04 pm
      So let me get this straight, it was Stevie's fault for not changing the tactics? Tactics that had served the team so damn brilliantly the entire season, why should he lose faith in those tactics right then and there?

No – the tactics were never to ”relentlessly attack at the exclusion of everything else and with no regard to what was happening in the game”.  Yes we played a (very) attacking brand of football but the point of the players actually being on the pitch is to make decisions about how to apply those tactics to the match. That’s why experience is required to be a captain otherwise what’s the point of the position.
      The truth is that a manager has relatively little influence on the team once it crosses that white line – nearly all of his influence comes in the preparation off the pitch. Using that preparation, the manager gave our team the opportunity to win the league – which is all any player could reasonably ask.
      We ended up not winning it because we weren’t canny enough against Chelsea – stupidly chasing the goal just before half time then panicking when we went a goal behind hitting stupid crosses and long shots instead of playing Suarez in. Then we ballsed up a three goal lead against Crystal Palace and were lucky to escape with a draw – again, absolutely naïve stupidity letting them run through us when we didn’t have to.
      Eurored is right in one thing – it’s almost impossible to win the league conceding more than 50 goals a season. If you want to look at goals conceded per game, the statistic takes a sharp upward turn every time Stevie is played in the middle of the pitch – the problem being that it is hard to know where else to accommodate him without him sinking into a huge sulk for being a bit-part player.
      You yourself think he needs “dropping this year” but I could throw all the arguments back at you that you have written above.  Stevie plays  – and always has  played -  like Roy of the Rovers – that’s his mentality, just as Skrtel backs off or Suarez hassles the referee. It’s great for winning knockout competitions but history has shown us, that; snot the consistent and patient style that is needed for a league campaign.

Secondly the slip happening 18 yards out or 50 yards out would have made no difference the chance would have still been a goal scoring opportunity. I've heard this argument before but why would the outcome be any different than a one on one? Our CB's always split wide, not narrow so the difference would have only been the distance Ba had to run, the chance presented would, in fact, probably have been easier as Mignolet would have less time to narrow the angle.
      Absolute nonsense.
      If you’re going to play a suicidally high line you are leaving yourself open to the break against a pacy forward. That’s why every team defends deep against pace – it’s utterly basic footballing logic so please don’t say it made no difference  defending on the halfway line and pushing all our players into their half.
      They weren’t even TRYING to win – they had nothing to play for. If we were on our 18 yard line their team wouldn’t have been pushed up straining for a goal – even if Ba had broken onto the ball, Mignolet, or a lateral player would have more time to close him down and put him under pressure.
      In fact Mourinho WANTED us to win ahead of Pellegrini – with whom he has a long running feud. Amazingly though, we managed to balls it up. Put the blame on the manager if you like but as you point out – thos etactics got us into the position in the first place.
      If you’re really saying pushing high  up the pitch makes no difference I will be interested to see your reaction to games this season when we are trying to hold on to a result.
      http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2133961/chelsea-boss-jose-mourinho-says-steven-gerrard-slip-cost-liverpool-title
      "It gave the title to City, as simple as that," Mourinho told reporters on Friday. "Liverpool, with a point in that match, would have been champions. Without it, they lost the title."
      Chelsea had gone into the match with no real prospect of winning the league after a shock 2-1 loss at home to Sunderland the previous weekend, and Mourinho added: "It meant nothing to us.
      "After our defeat against Sunderland, our position was the sub-position. That match, for us, meant just professional pride. You have to go for every game and try to win, but we were not in the race. It was just a match that gave the title to Man City."

"Stevie for all his attacking prowess has never been the most intelligent or ruthless." What kind of a statement is that? You're happy to take all the fantastic assists and goals he produced but you're going to hang him out to dry on the defensive side of the game? That was tactics, last season we sacrificed defensive security for the 101 goals we scored. We played in a cavalier fashion, it was the best football I've seen our club produce in an absolute age and yet here you are ripping it to shreds because we failed at the final hurdles.

Im not ripping it to shreds – I loved our tactics last season – as I said the manager did everything that could be asked of him. I’m saying Stevie blew those chances to win the league not because of the slip but because of his naïve approach to the game.
      The person “ripping things to shreds” is Eurored who is moaning about the manager going about things the wrong way because he didn’t “build from the back”. If he had “built from the back” Stevies would not be at the club as he would have quit by now rather than playing 20 minute cameos.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20091: Nov 13, 2014 02:04:26 pm
      It is a complete myth to suggest that Liverpool fans always back their manager 100% all of the time.
      During Shankly's reign there was plenty of discussion about players over staying there welcome and don't forget he went from 1966 to 1973 without a trophy he did come close but he couldn't get over the line. He also admitted he kept his teams together in the early days for far too long.
      We support the team on the pitch when they are 3=0 down because they are clearly fighting if they don't fight they don't get the support. We support players who give 100%.
      Being mid table doesn't mean the team gets extra support if something is wrong it needs sorting and after nearly 2 season our defence has been sh*te and it has not improved so if people get pissed of by the same mistakes being made game after game when then maybe they have a point

I don't think anyone gets annoyed when people criticise the fact the defence is still dodgy. Everyone can see that it's dodgy, and as you say we've had a couple of seasons to sort it out and it's not good enough, no problem with that. Equally, to be 11th after almost winning it last season is a poor start and nobody could have issues with it being pointed out.

Speaking personally, the bits that annoy me are when fans get hung up about some harmless phraseology in an interview, or talk about Brendan being on dodgy ground as far as his job is concerned when it's not even December. The journalists and gossip mongers feed off such stuff, and I think it doesn't become us. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20092: Nov 13, 2014 02:06:17 pm
      The biggest question I have, and I'm not sure if it will ever be truly answered, is why the change of position on transfers?

Both Brendan and Stevie had come out stating that we needed "men" and that "one or two" to improve the team was needed.

Given that we then invested in the "Group" rather than one or two key positions are we to presume that Brendan was somewhat overruled or did everyone involved in Liverpool's transfers just get it wrong in the summer?

Brendan and Stevie's original statements would lead us to believe one or two quality players would come in.
      Once again though the cost was spread across the squad.

From what I've read, the reason is that those players don't want to come to Liverpool (the city).
      Maybe they want more money to live up north, cos they've heard it's grim, than they want to live down "that London".

I don't have a clue to be honest.
      There's a lot of conflicting reports, BR says one thing, then something else happens, then there's the rumour about wages with some saying we won't pay them, and then BR saying we will for the right players. The we have the incentivised wage packages, but apparently that contradicts what BR says.
      It's a great big incoherent mess at the moment, and because we aren't winning every little thing is being thrown at BR and the owners with people looking to blame someone for the fact the team aren't performing on the field.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #20093: Nov 13, 2014 02:07:20 pm
      I don't think anyone gets annoyed when people criticise the fact the defence is still dodgy. Everyone can see that it's dodgy, and as you say we've had a couple of seasons to sort it out and it's not good enough, no problem with that. Equally, to be 11th after almost winning it last season is a poor start and nobody could have issues with it being pointed out.

Speaking personally, the bits that annoy me are when fans get hung up about some harmless phraseology in an interview, or talk about Brendan being on dodgy ground as far as his job is concerned when it's not even December. The journalists and gossip mongers feed off such stuff, and I think it doesn't become us. 

I think Brendan could help himself an awful lot by backing away a bit form telling the Journos every thought he has in his head.He probably talks to the Journos about tactics etc more than any other Liverpool manager and I don't think it helps him because these bas**rds will be the first to stick the knife in.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,789 posts | 7188 
      Reply #20094: Nov 13, 2014 02:10:38 pm
      From what I've read, the reason is that those players don't want to come to Liverpool (the city).
      Maybe they want more money to live up north, cos they've heard it's grim than they want to live down "that London".

I don't have a clue to be honest.
      There's a lot of conflicting reports, BR says one thing, then something else happens, then there's the rumour about wages with some saying we won't pay them, and then BR saying we will for the right players. The we have the incentivised wage packages, but apparently that contradicts what BR says.
      It's a great big incoherent mess at the moment, and because we aren't winning every little thing is being thrown at BR and the owners with people looking to blame someone for the fact the team aren't performing on the field.

Its such a terrible place to live that's why Rafa still lives here  when he can and his family are still living in Caldy.Its why so many ex players never leave the area so I just  don't get the area being an issue its all about the money end of story.Footballers are mercenary bas**rds these day
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #20095: Nov 13, 2014 02:11:07 pm
      I don't think his philosophy is poor, I agree with it, but its impossible and pointless if we can't control it, so we need the RIGHT players for this type of game.

Gerrard isn't the answer, and neither is Henderson worryingly.

But even if it isn't tiki taka (Brendan seems more intent on the 'gegenpressing' style of Dortmund now), ball control is ESSENTIAL for us to succeed. And I'm sorry, but I just don't think many of the English players are well embedded with that quality - they've been brought up on a diet of 'F***ing CLEAR IT' and hitting them long like its a grenade, rather than caressing it like a paint brush.

This is where I disagree with Brendan on one thing - I don't think the English players can play like this. I think you can coach the English youth players to develop into one of these players, but it's not happening with established English players who by the time they've reached their 20s, are well stuck in their ways.

You have a point here.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #20096: Nov 13, 2014 02:13:49 pm
      It's absolutely dire to watch, mid to lower end standard crap. One thing that irks me most is the amount of times Gerrard drops deep, splitting the center backs to receive the ball. Why does this happen a lot? because Gerrard's inability to pass short and keep the ball ticking, so Rodgers is wanting to get the best out of Gerrard allowing him utilise his trademark hollywood balls.

It worked a treat last season with Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge, but this season, it hasn't looked right, even in pre season and when Sturridge was fit. Teams know how to stop Gerrard, they simply press him which results in our mundane negative passing.

I'm not asking us to play tika taka, I just want us to be more positive in our passing and moving, I want to see our midfielders move into an advanced positions rather than negative(dropping deep), and once they receive it, don't be scared to turn and pass or dribble the ball forward.

Players like Lucas & Coutinho, ball players who keep the ball ticking positively, accompanied by positive attacking players, likes of Sterling or Lallana. I feel this approach would be 1 huge step to taking us out of this slump. We still have the players to finish top 4, but I believe the tactics are letting us down atm :(

Same thoughts here, quality players but wrong tactics and not playing to the players strengths.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20097: Nov 13, 2014 02:19:55 pm
      Its such a terrible place to live that's why Rafa still lives here  when he can and his family are still living in Caldy.Its why so many ex players never leave the area so I just  don't get the area being an issue its all about the money end of story.Footballers are mercenary bas**rds these day

Just going off what KK's lad said.
      Someone posted the quote, or paraphrased it, along the lines of "These top players don't want to live in Liverpool", or something along those lines.
      I don't get it personally,
      Cheshire, one of the most desirable areas in the country is just a stones throw away.
      I don't like the teams, but as a city, Manchester is great, not as great as Liverpool but we all know that ;)
      Shopping, nightlife, good golf courses, lovely places to live, great houses and apartments, great urban renewal, waterfront apartments, the suburbs of both cities have always had really top quality houses.
      What's not to like?
      city and utd don't seem to have a problem getting players to live in the north west, so maybe you're right and it simply comes down to what we are prepared to pay.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #20098: Nov 13, 2014 02:20:09 pm
      Same thoughts here, quality players but wrong tactics and not playing to the players strengths.

I'm not sure Brendan knows what our players strengths are anymore......and who could blame him because I'm not sure I know what our player's strengths are  :f_doh:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20099: Nov 13, 2014 02:28:34 pm
      I'm not sure Brendan knows what our players strengths are anymore......and who could blame him because I'm not sure I know what our player's strengths are  :f_doh:

I think maybe BR was a little naive in thinking his signings could just slot straight into the team, and that it would be a relatively seamless transition from the loss of Suarez.
      I'm convinced Markovic is a cracking player, most are happy with Can, Lallana has shown his pedigree but is in and out of the team.
      Lovren looks at sixes and sevens and seems confused.
      Manquillo and Moreno both look great going forwards, but not so great defensively, but we always knew he was going to opt for FB's whose main strength is attacking.

If we go off what Suarez said about BR's coaching style, then perhaps BR needs to change because he no longer has the luxury of all that extra time to prepare for games.

I might get slated for this, but he could do worse than having a chat with Rafa about time management.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20100: Nov 13, 2014 02:43:40 pm
      I think maybe BR was a little naive in thinking his signings could just slot straight into the team , and that it would be a relatively seamless transition from the loss of Suarez.
      I'm convinced Markovic is a cracking player, most are happy with Can, Lallana has shown his pedigree but is in and out of the team.
      Lovren looks at sixes and sevens and seems confused.
      Manquillo and Moreno both look great going forwards, but not so great defensively, but we always knew he was going to opt for FB's whose main strength is attacking.

If we go off what Suarez said about BR's coaching style, then perhaps BR needs to change because he no longer has the luxury of all that extra time to prepare for games.

I might get slated for this, but he could do worse than having a chat with Rafa about time management.

In fairness we could have signed Messi, Bale and Ronaldo (OK maybe not those three but you get my drift) and if our established players had been as poor as they have, they'd have struggled. ALL of our established players have been extremely poor, aside from Sterling in the first few games and Mignolet in the last few IMHO. It's these f*ckers who are letting us down more than the signings IMHO. Put Markovic into a bit part role for Chelsea and he'd probably look like a world-beater. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #20101: Nov 13, 2014 02:48:56 pm

Which is why he needs an experienced head to come in to be able to see what he and quite clearly Colin cannot see.

Quick Reply