Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3086285 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #20493: Nov 21, 2014 05:58:38 pm
      We lost 6 games last season, win any of them and we won the league. Obviously the Chelsea game was the highest profile loss as it came at the end of a hard season but if we had beaten Hull or even Southampton at home (our first defeat of the season) we would have won the title.

38 Games to win the title, but just as we always remember the Arsenal game as the game when we lost the league back in 1989 some will remember the Chelsea game in similar fashion.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20494: Nov 21, 2014 06:05:03 pm

Rodgers seemingly has sunk to a new level : yours.

Stevie's slip to blame.

So when you wrote "sooner he is gone the better" were you calling for him to be sacked or not?

Come on Euro, I'm giving you the chance to back up your own posts here..
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20495: Nov 21, 2014 06:05:42 pm
      It's because no criticism can ever be levelled at Stevie because he is a local lad and can therefore do no wrong.

Ffs give it up fella, he slipped in one game and not the the 30 odd before it, your a F**kin disgrace the way your hounding Gerrard, one of the best ever players to wear the shirt,
      It's got f**k all to do with where he's from either or is it that you just hate scousers?

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20496: Nov 21, 2014 06:06:57 pm
      FL.

Its subtle.

Blaming the loss of the title on that one game..... and we all know what happened it that game dont we.

Sorry Skip it's not often we disagree but I'm with FL on this. 

It was a pivotal game at the sharp end of the season but swap it for any other of our defeats and that's the game we'd be discussing, the third from last game of the season. 

I think your recent conversation with another poster has clouded your judgement mate  ;)
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20497: Nov 21, 2014 06:16:53 pm

Ffs give it up fella, he slipped in one game and not the the 30 odd before it, your a F**kin disgrace the way your hounding Gerrard, one of the best ever players to wear the shirt,
      It's got f**k all to do with where he's from either or is it that you just hate scousers?

YNWA

Well both managers, the media, the vast majority of the fans in our club and the country and the player himself identify that game as the crucial match that lost us the title.

On the other side is Eurored who calls such a suggestion "ludicrous" and is implying (but hasn't yet had the backbone to explicitly state that) the manager should go because of it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say he is wrong on this one - sorry if thayt spoils your tea. If you have a reasoned argument otherwise feel free to post it; that's what we're all here for.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20498: Nov 21, 2014 06:20:06 pm
      I think he has a point in fairness, although in my opinion it was the whole team and manager to blame because there was simply no need for us to be chasing that game.
      If it was BR's plan to go after chelsea, I think senior players should have the balls to stand up and say that it wasn't needed, but even if they did or didn't, the plan was wrong.
      If it was the players on the pitch doing what had previously served them well, then I think the skipper has to hold his hand up because he should have been calming things down.

The slip itself was simple misfortune, and could have happened to anyone, but the question remains as to why we were chasing a game we didn't need to win.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing mate. If we had played for a point and then Chelsea had fluked a goal in the 92nd minute everyone would be asking why did we not stick to the style that had got us into that position in the first place.

At the time I wanted us to play for the draw, but I can understand a manager who doesn't want to change the style that had brought him success.

If we had torn Chelsea a new arsehole and won 4-0 everyone would be bouncing about how "brave Brendan" had stuck to his guns to win the title.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20499: Nov 21, 2014 06:46:06 pm
      Hindsight is a wonderful thing mate. If we had played for a point and then Chelsea had fluked a goal in the 92nd minute everyone would be asking why did we not stick to the style that had got us into that position in the first place.

At the time I wanted us to play for the draw, but I can understand a manager who doesn't want to change the style that had brought him success.

If we had torn Chelsea a new arsehole and won 4-0 everyone would be bouncing about how "brave Brendan" had stuck to his guns to win the title.

Of course mate, and I'll be the first to man up and say that hindsight is affecting the way I view that game, but what I'll also say is that at the time I was screaming "what the F**k are you doing, we only need a draw", and that was way before Gerrard slipped.

I'll also hold my hand up and say I was as guilty as anyone at playing armchair manager at that stage of the season, and all I can offer in my own defense is that I got carried away with the excitement.

But, the reason I was getting carried away is because we were in that position in the first place, and I believe we have BR to thank for that, as well as the players and staff of course.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #20500: Nov 21, 2014 06:48:30 pm
      I'm beginning to wonder if your human forms have been replaced by exaggerated caricatures of yourselves. Some downright laughable posting going on.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #20501: Nov 21, 2014 06:49:54 pm

Who's to say we were not playing for the draw, we were comfortably in control had Chelski pinned in their own half, no danger if them even trying to get a goal. What happened next and our frantic attempts to get a equaliser makes it seem we were going hell bent for the win.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20502: Nov 21, 2014 06:56:36 pm
      Who's to say we were not playing for the draw, we were comfortably in control had Chelski pinned in their own half, no danger if them even trying to get a goal. What happened next and our frantic attempts to get a equaliser makes it seem we were going hell bent for the win.

I saw it as them sitting back, not being arsed about anything except not getting beat rather than them being pegged in their own half, but no matter, we all see things differently.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20503: Nov 21, 2014 07:03:09 pm

With our defence that would be probably the best way to get a draw mate. I certainly wouldn't have fancied us sitting back and just defending.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      Reply #20504: Nov 21, 2014 07:26:44 pm

Well both managers, the media, the vast majority of the fans in our club and the country and the player himself identify that game as the crucial match that lost us the title.

On the other side is Eurored who calls such a suggestion "ludicrous" and is implying (but hasn't yet had the backbone to explicitly state that) the manager should go because of it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say he is wrong on this one - sorry if thayt spoils your tea. If you have a reasoned argument otherwise feel free to post it; that's what we're all here for.

I've said it before I'll say it again as have plenty of others, the season is won over 38 games not just one, the Chelsea game was desperately disappointing fair enough but to call it as the reason we lost the league is a step to far,  we lost to Saints,  to Hull f***in city, we drew with villa, had we picked more points up from  those fixtures we would not be having this discussion,

Look fella,  at the end of the day opinions obviously differ and that's fairy muff,  but what I don't like is your incessant hounding of Gerrard,  don't deny it cos your posts reflect that you do,  I thought supporters were supposed to admire and appreciate the players that represent the club, no matter what,  unless your John f***in Terry of course.?
      YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20505: Nov 21, 2014 07:34:38 pm

I've said it before I'll say it again as have plenty of others, the season is won over 38 games not just one, the Chelsea game was desperately disappointing fair enough but to call it as the reason we lost the league is a step to far,  we lost to Saints,  to Hull f***in city, we drew with villa, had we picked more points up from  those fixtures we would not be having this discussion,

Look fella,  at the end of the day opinions obviously differ and that's fairy muff,  but what I don't like is your incessant hounding of Gerrard,  don't deny it cos your posts reflect that you do,  I thought supporters were supposed to admire and appreciate the players that represent the club, no matter what,  unless your John f***in Terry of course.?
      YNWA

Would it be fair to say that as a season progresses, games become more important if you are fighting for the title though mate?
      I mean, if we were stuck in 8th, with nothing to play for, the chelsea game wouldn't have been important, but as we were fighting for the title, a game against a top side gained increased significance, and arguably every game at that stage was a kind of cup final, except we only needed to draw to win the trophy.

I understand your points mate, but I see it a bit differently.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      Reply #20506: Nov 21, 2014 07:59:06 pm
      Would it be fair to say that as a season progresses, games become more important if you are fighting for the title though mate?
      I mean, if we were stuck in 8th, with nothing to play for, the chelsea game wouldn't have been important, but as we were fighting for the title, a game against a top side gained increased significance, and arguably every game at that stage was a kind of cup final, except we only needed to draw to win the trophy.

I understand your points mate, but I see it a bit differently.

I can see the points your making Swab and I suppose if your up.there nearing the end of a campaign then games to play may hold more significance,  but every game is important whether that's the first or last, 3 points are 3 points or not as the case may be,

Had we won against Saints and hull the Chelsea result would have been irrelevant,

If I were to choose a result that was more defining it would be the palace match, you could argue our lads got complacent,  allowing palace back in after we dominated for the majority, 
      And similar to Milan in '05',  our heads and hearts suffered once palace equalised.?

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #20507: Nov 21, 2014 08:48:36 pm
      I can see the points your making Swab and I suppose if your up.there nearing the end of a campaign then games to play may hold more significance,  but every game is important whether that's the first or last, 3 points are 3 points or not as the case may be,

Had we won against Saints and hull the Chelsea result would have been irrelevant,

If I were to choose a result that was more defining it would be the palace match, you could argue our lads got complacent,  allowing palace back in after we dominated for the majority, 
      And similar to Milan in '05',  our heads and hearts suffered once palace equalised.?

YNWA

Even if we had won the Palace game we still would have lost the title on GD.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #20508: Nov 21, 2014 08:58:54 pm
      Even if we had won the Palace game we still would have lost the title on GD.

I blame the defensive set up.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #20509: Nov 21, 2014 09:10:12 pm
      I don't see how BR's 'tactics' were to blame for the Chelsea game. We completely dominated the game and the only chances Chelsea had were gifted to them by us.

It's not like their 1st goal came about as a result of us having too many players forward or being too 'gung-ho'. It came about as a result of a freak individual error from one of the finest players to ever wear the shirt during a spell when we were under minimal pressure. You just can't legislate for that.

In fact, I think BR got the set up spot on for the game. We completely dominated but our attacking players just didn't perform. Had we tried to do what Chelsea did, we would have ended up standing off them and there would have been every chance of us conceding that way from someone else's individual error. In fact, whenever we've tried to sit back and defend a lead over the past year or so, we've more often than not ended up conceding due to our comical defense (last season vs. Man City and Norwich and in the derby this season, for example), so, without the benefit of hindsight, that would not have been the better game plan.

Sh*t defending and sh*t attacking depth was what ultimately cost us the league, not BR and Stevie's performances on that day.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #20510: Nov 21, 2014 09:55:15 pm

Fair point buddy if we had let in less goals through the season ..........who knows
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #20511: Nov 21, 2014 09:57:51 pm

that gets overlooked so many times  but since his arrival here our defence has been poor.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20512: Nov 21, 2014 10:14:53 pm
      Don't see where Brendan blamed Gerrard at all! He pointed out that it was the Chelsea game that ended our title hopes, that all!

Glad to see posters finally being honest and admitting they want Brendan out.  Can't wait to to hear who their alternatives are!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20513: Nov 21, 2014 10:16:00 pm

YNWA

I can tell you that the captain isn't losing sleep due to our match against Southampton.

And at least try to be honest - if we had landed the title I have little doubt you would still be raving about his season-long performance to this day. We had every chance to win to win the title and we didn't. As far as I'm concerned the the reason why isn't due to chance. If he is big enough to take the credit he should be big enough to take the blame.

As far as I'm concerned the club is bigger than any one player. Gerrard has been one of the greatest players we have have but he has always played in a naive Roy of the Rovers, barnstorming style. That's great for cup competitions but doesn't win you the league and, as far as I'm concerned, means he is not in my top five LFC players in our history.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20514: Nov 21, 2014 10:19:02 pm
      Don't see where Brendan blamed Gerrard at all! He pointed out that it was the Chelsea game that ended our title hopes, that all!

Glad to see posters finally being honest and admitting they want Brendan out.  Can't wait to to hear who their alternatives are!

They're not saying they want Brendan out though - they're just taking snidey potshots because our results are bad at the moment.

That way they join in again if things pick up or say "I told you so" if they don't.

Utterly spineless behaviour in my opinion - I mean if you want him out then be man enough to say so and stick with the consequences. It's not that hard is it?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20515: Nov 21, 2014 10:35:42 pm
      F**k-in-hell, are we still "apportioning" blame for last season's title miss out?

Quick Reply