Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3060414 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #21022: Nov 26, 2014 11:02:23 pm
      We also didn't spunk 120m in that window either.

We sold Alonso, Arbeloa and Leto for 37m.

Brought in Aquilani, Johnson, Mavinga and Kyrgiakos for 38.5m.

Do remember that the Aquilani deal was not a straight 20m rather some complicated instalment transfer deal split into 4 x 5m instalments.

We didn't spunk 120 million in this window did we? I thought we sold a player too?

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21023: Nov 26, 2014 11:05:46 pm
      Of course it doesn't, no. The point is though that the season isn't over yet, our destiny is still in our own hands and Brendan has an opportunity to do much better.

He does and I pray he will. Hopefully his eyes have opened and he will start playing the right team to stop the rot. But I fear we'll see Lovren, Johnson, Stevie and Balotelli back in the starting line up soon.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #21024: Nov 26, 2014 11:07:32 pm
      We didn't spunk 120 million in this window did we? I thought we sold a player too?

Ok, let's say our net spend then is 55m this season deducting what we got for Suarez.

Most disheartening thing about it that it looks like we may need at least another 120m to look like a team.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21025: Nov 26, 2014 11:09:45 pm
      He does and I pray he will. Hopefully his eyes have opened and he will start playing the right team to stop the rot. But I fear we'll see Lovren, Johnson, Stevie and Balotelli back in the starting line up soon.

Hmmm. So we were "awful" tonight, but hopefully that's "opened his eyes" and we should keep the same team? Equally, "Stevie and Johnson" will be "back in the starting line up soon", although they were in it tonight. I'm not sure I understand what you're advocating mate so I can't really argue.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21026: Nov 26, 2014 11:11:12 pm
      Ok, let's say our net spend then is 55m this season deducting what we got for Suarez.

Most disheartening thing about it that it looks like we may need at least another 120m to look like a team.

Didn't we claim to have got 75 mill for Suarez? I suppose w'll have to wait for the accounts to get the truth.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21027: Nov 26, 2014 11:15:05 pm

We had a huge amount of cash to spend this summer mate. Top priority should have been to make every effort to replace Luis with a similar style player knowing well in advance he was leaving. We signed two strikers who are like chalk and cheese to Suarez. We spent £20 million on a left sided centre back when we already had two. We spend £20 million on a supposed top top young talent who looks scared of the ball. And we spent £25 million on a player who had one very good PL season. That's £85 million spunked for the most part IMO. The other £35 million spent on four young players who all look decent prospects so can't complain there. But we did spunk most of our budget.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21028: Nov 26, 2014 11:17:48 pm
      We had a huge amount of cash to spend this summer mate. Top priority should have been to make every effort to replace Luis with a similar style player knowing well in advance he was leaving. We signed two strikers who are like chalk and cheese to Suarez. We spent £20 million on a left sided centre back when we already had two. We spend £20 million on a supposed top top young talent who looks scared of the ball. And we spent £25 million on a player who had one very good PL season. That's £85 million spunked for the most part IMO. The other £35 million spent on four young players who all look decent prospects so can't complain there. But we did spunk most of our budget.

So Markovic and Lallana come into the "spunked" category? I'm not so sure yet Baz. I'm pretty sure that Lovren will prove to be a good buy too, but bviously it's just my view.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #21029: Nov 26, 2014 11:18:25 pm
      Didn't we claim to have got 75 mill for Suarez? I suppose w'll have to wait for the accounts to get the truth.

Even if it is 30, 40, 45 it does not stack up so well to 1.5m does it now?

That is not so relevant now though what is, is the fact we look like we need a further 120m this January to have a team capable of cracking the top 4.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,626 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21030: Nov 26, 2014 11:18:43 pm
      Has a big call to make.
      Would have done it last season with fringe players.
      Needs to do it now.

Subs change games and not bringing on two more cost us the win.

Stop playing Gerrard for 90 minutes.
      Can and Lallana there to be brought on.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6965 
      Reply #21031: Nov 26, 2014 11:21:00 pm
      But we did spunk most of our budget.

Brendan Rodgers has got a lot of problems.  The fact he has wasted a large part of £220M is probably, worryingly, quite low down on that list.

Until the owners come and ask him about the money he should be more worried about 1 win in 8 and 3 clean sheets in the last 28 games.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21032: Nov 26, 2014 11:22:27 pm
      Thing was with Woy , is that he ended his term with us  bigging up the opposition and how tough it was , after every single match.
      See a trend ?

Shankly would have turned in his grave.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,214 posts | 4409 
      Reply #21033: Nov 26, 2014 11:22:53 pm
      All this money spunked on sh*te players is nonsense. They are not all sh*te players we as a team are in a massive spiral of loss of confidence esp the senior players. As soon as we break out of that you will see our players are better than the Hammers, Saints etc.

It's just a massive hangover from having been so close last year.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21034: Nov 26, 2014 11:23:45 pm
      Hmmm. So we were "awful" tonight, but hopefully that's "opened his eyes" and we should keep the same team? Equally, "Stevie and Johnson" will be "back in the starting line up soon", although they were in it tonight. I'm not sure I understand what you're advocating mate so I can't really argue.

I'm not sure you know what I'm saying here. We were poor tonight and lucky to draw. Rodgers picked the wrong team again. He dropped Lovren alright and Balotelli was injured so he couldn't pick him thank god but Johnson and Gerrard should have been nowhere near that team. Moreno and Can or Lallana should have started. If he cops on and opens his eyes he will realise this and keep Lovren, Stevie, Johnson and Balotelli on the bench against Stoke at the weekend.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #21035: Nov 26, 2014 11:24:15 pm
      Brendan Rodgers has got a lot of problems.  The fact he has wasted a large part of £220M is probably, worryingly, quite low down on that list.

Until the owners come and ask him about the money he should be more worried about 1 win in 8 and 3 clean sheets in the last 28 games.

Amen.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21036: Nov 26, 2014 11:25:04 pm
      All this money spunked on sh*te players is nonsense. They are not all sh*te players we as a team are in a massive spiral of loss of confidence esp the senior players. As soon as we break out of that you will see our players are better than the Hammers, Saints etc.

It's just a massive hangover from having been so close last year.

Ok fine. But where do the goals come from without Sturridge? I'm at a loss.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21037: Nov 26, 2014 11:29:39 pm
      Brendan's subs tonight were a bit of let down again. We probably could have used fresh legs in midfield (Can for either Allen or Henderson) and either Lallana or Coutinho for Gerrard, who looked done at about the 60th minute mark. It was all Ludogorets from about the 70-75th minute without us making subs.

As for subbing Sterling, that's a toss up. He wasn't as good as some say in the match thread and he wasn't as bad either. Ideally, Markovic would have been on the bench to replace him and we'd have seen the game out.

Also, as for comments made in a post-match interview: Do we still really care about that? Managers always talk sh*t in them and it's almost always to deflect negative attention away. Rafa did it. Kenny did it. Brendan does it. Maybe Roy was a bit too honest about how he felt at times and we killed him for it.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21038: Nov 26, 2014 11:31:12 pm
      So Markovic and Lallana come into the "spunked" category? I'm not so sure yet Baz. I'm pretty sure that Lovren will prove to be a good buy too, but bviously it's just my view.

I rate Lallana but £25 million was an excessive fee. I hope Markovic comes good but being honest he isn't looking like a great buy for that money. My main problem is that Suarez wasn't replaced with a proven goal scorer or a player with similar attributes. We should have dedicated a third of the funds available to ensure this happened.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #21039: Nov 26, 2014 11:46:05 pm
      You are manager of the mighty Liverpool Football Club.
      You have all the blarney , the control , new staff , 25 new players , £200 million spent  and all the answers.

Proud of yourself are you ?
      Another £ 100k hitting your bank for a weeks work.

Remember when you joined LFC the three names in an envelope trick you lifted from Fergie ?

Whose name will be in there this year ?

Rodgers uses old Fergie envelope trick by claiming he knows three Reds will let Liverpool down

By Sportsmail Reporter

Published: 09:44, 12 October 2012 | Updated: 11:04, 12 October 2012

Brendan Rodgers copied a Sir Alex Ferguson mind game used almost 20 years ago - and it backfired as Liverpool went down 3-0 on the first day of the season.

The Reds boss had shown his team three envelopes and said inside were the names of three players who will 'let us down this year'.

Ferguson had done this in 1993 to ensure his squad did not let their first title success in two decades go to their heads - however he later revealed the envelopes had been empty.

Rodgers said to his team: 'When I arrived here, the first few days were analysing the group, the staff, the players.

'I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything. And I have written them down already.

'Now my point to you as players — and staff — is make sure you are not the one in the envelope, because you are so important.

'If we are going to achieve, to be the best we can, we need to be together. But I think there’s three, maximum, who will let us down.
      Make sure you’re not the one.'

The manager's talk did not seem to win over Steven Gerrard, who watched on with his head propped up by his arms.

Rodgers' trick will be shown on the latest episode of 'Being: Liverpool', screened on Channel 5 on Friday night.

It has not been revealed who was named inside the envelopes although there is speculation.

The Liverpool players look a bit underwhelmed by the idea

'It was designed to motivate, to make players determined not to be in that envelope, ensuring they are focused and "plugged in" all season.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2216654/Brendan-Rodgers-envelope-trick-Liverpool-boss-picks-players-let-team-down.html#ixzz3KDU38n3h
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He is gonna have more envelopes than the post mans got in his bag this year.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21040: Nov 26, 2014 11:55:00 pm
      In all honesty I just do not see that we will improve much until either Sturridge comes back or we buy a striker more suitable to our style of football.

Just won't happen. We may grind out results, we may even have the odd flash back moment when we put a good move together, but that's about as good as it will get until we get some pace and movement up front.

Most important thing in the meantime is to shore up the defence, get the team playing with more confidence and hang on till Christmas.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #21041: Nov 26, 2014 11:56:48 pm
      Well Brendan can start building a new foundation now that Balotelli is out of the first team. Balotelli has only played in slow playing teams like Inter, Man City (under Mancini) and Milan.

I've made up my mind - Liverpool is completely the wrong team for him I can't see him ever adapting to our style of play. Lambert on the other hand - under Adkins and Pochettino, he played a similar brand of football and was a star player for the Saints. He's well in tune with our tactics then. At least we have something to build upon there for the meantime. Building a team on Balotelli's attacking 'prowess' (what prowess?) is like building a skyscraper on sand - it's bound to fail, it has failed, so we MUST not go back to it ever again. I'd personally cut our losses on the man and sell him in January.

If Balotelli comes back ahead of Lambert, I will be infuriated.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21042: Nov 27, 2014 01:18:46 am
      3 clean sheets in the last 28 games.

And not even all 3 of them were wins!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21043: Nov 27, 2014 01:36:41 am
      Sad to say but his transfer dealings last summer were disappointing to say the least.

I guess Suarez and Sturridge show last season masked the problems we have within the team.

Don't understand how poorly performing or non contributing players get first eleven starts game after game whereas those who have tried, don't get a look at.

Big mistake of letting go two of our adopted scousers in Agger and Reina go for more expensive but inferior replacements as well.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21044: Nov 27, 2014 01:37:04 am
      Team selections are worrying (understatement).
      Plus, we are trying to revert back to pass it sideways and back, the players bomb forward then the ball ends up back with our cb's. Only for someone to hit a long ball to no one, possession just for the sake of it and no real intent
      I don't know the solution but the answer is one I'd hope our manager can see with his own eyes, my guess would be don't make the mistake of thinking we're Barcelona.
      Everything good we did last year, not giving the other team time to use the ball and moving forward at pace has been reverted back to his original blueprint and cowardly tactics of tiki nik-nak taka football.
      His subs are increasingly odd.
      I do realise I'm not a professional tactician or coach but they seem like a blatantly mad mixture of choices for a man I thought was a bit of a visionary.

Quick Reply