Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3085523 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31579: May 30, 2015 11:58:21 pm
      Yes but his wages will be much lower than another top target, so FSG think it will balance out over the long term.

More like Rodgers has no idea of who are the likes of Lacazette, Vietto, Higuain, Icardi etc

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #31580: May 31, 2015 12:16:32 am
      Serious question skip - and for all those who want the manager sacked.

Would you sack Brendan with Klopp and Ancelotti unavailable? Or hold out under such a scenario?
      If I may anwser your question, No

Say we can not get a manager in of the caliber we need the FSG will bring in a "Yes" man, or leave us rudderless until someone for the ilk becomes available, Or give it to Jamie C short term which for me will ruin his chance of every managing Liverpool in future, He will be there to take all the blame  and not rewarded for any success

We wait until we have a cast iron replacement
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #31581: May 31, 2015 12:17:05 am
      More like Rodgers has no idea of who are the likes of Lacazette, Vietto, Higuain, Icardi etc

Yea, like Sanchez and Falcao
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31582: May 31, 2015 12:20:52 am

I'd rather have those players of course, but perhaps they are out of bounds with the wage restriction? If so, the tight arse of FSG strikes again.
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2015 01:42:47 am by Son Of A Gun »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31583: May 31, 2015 12:54:24 am
      restrictions?

like paying 32m for Benteke? that's a restriction?

When exactly did we do that? The restrictions are mostly wage related, of course when it comes to buying world class players, there is a stone wall block.
      There is a serious restriction on the calibre of player the club goes after, players not yet at their peak, or players that won't command a crazy wage.
      Moneyball speaks for itself, sacrifice success now for success in the future with more profit!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31584: May 31, 2015 01:51:14 am
      When exactly did we do that? The restrictions are mostly wage related, of course when it comes to buying world class players, there is a stone wall block.
      There is a serious restriction on the calibre of player the club goes after, players not yet at their peak, or players that won't command a crazy wage.
      Moneyball speaks for itself, sacrifice success now for success in the future with more profit!

OK so what is our upper limit on wages? I'd love to know.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31585: May 31, 2015 01:58:00 am
      Poll Closed :  74.6 % vote for Rodgers to go.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31586: May 31, 2015 02:01:54 am

"Judge me after 3 years"

The fans have spoken:

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31587: May 31, 2015 02:10:53 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #31588: May 31, 2015 02:33:54 am
      Full article from The Times:

LIVERPOOL are exploring alternatives to Brendan Rodgers, adding to uncertainty about whether the manager will survive an end-of-season review.

He is to be appraised on his performance during 2014-15 in a process led by Mike Gordon, the executive from Fenway Sports Group with most responsibility for day-to-day business at Anfield.

Rodgers and Gordon have a good rapport and the manager remains appreciated by others in Liverpool’s hierarchy, but that has not stopped other options being explored.

A process is under way of examining the availability and credentials of other candidates, such as Jürgen Klopp, whose reign at Borussia Dortmund ended last night after the German Cup final, which Dortmund lost 3-1 to Wolfsburg. Klopp has indicated he would consider the Liverpool job – despite initially saying he planned a sabbatical when his time at Dortmund was over.

*It is thought Rodgers still has a very significant chance of remaining in charge, provided he can satisfy FSG that a disappointing 2014-15 campaign – where Liverpool finished sixth in the Premier League and performed badly in Europe – was a blip. Inside the club, the expectation is Rodgers will still be manager when next season begins.*

Embarrassing defeats in Liverpool’s final two games, a 3-1 home loss to Crystal Palace and 6-1 humiliation at Stoke, have increased the pressure on Rodgers. *However, Liverpool are pressing ahead with attempts to sign Christian Benteke, Nathaniel Clyne, James Milner and Danny Ings – all targets favoured by Rodgers.*

*Gordon is due to meet Rodgers, who is on holiday in Spain, in the next fortnight.* An American, he is FSG’s second largest shareholder after John W Henry, sits on Liverpool’s board of directors, and spends significant periods  in Merseyside.

Rafael Benitez, whose name a number of supporters chanted during the 6-1 defeat at Stoke, will be unveiled as Real Madrid’s new  manager on Wednesday.

*Klopp, who led Dortmund to two German titles and a Champions League final during seven years in charge, is favourite to be offered the job if Liverpool decide to make a change. More than just the manager’s position will be scrutinised in Gordon’s review, with changes considered in Liverpool’s medical department and recruitment structure.*
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31589: May 31, 2015 02:45:43 am

I demand a recount.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31590: May 31, 2015 02:51:01 am
      In all seriousness, never has one match ever swayed a fanbase so much. I'm thinking it might have leant in Rodgers favour prior to the Stoke match?

I just honestly still believe he has a lot to give, but I would be highly deluded if I believed compromises shouldn't be made.

For a start, yes - a world class defensive coach is needed. And hire top top coaches, not three inexperienced blokes from the Championship. And perhaps Brendan is just too hands on - most great managers delegate to their staff to translate their ideals. I fundamentally agree with the principles of Rodgers philosophy. I know it's a word people hate on here, but I love a grand plan that is based on super clubs of the likes of Ajax and Barca.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #31591: May 31, 2015 03:46:26 am
      Oh come on BigMick, these constraints are not quite as severe as everyone says we are after all the 5th biggest spenders in the league only just behind Arsenal. Just look at Athletico in Spain who I'm fairly sure are 3rd or even lower in terms of transfer fees/salaries yet with a great team spirit and very competent manager are able to shake things up in Spain and really compete and win. Another good example of this would of course be Borussia Dortmund ;-)

And yet they are back clinging on to 3rd spot again this season I see. I suspect it will be another 19 years till they win their next la ligament title.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #31592: May 31, 2015 03:50:22 am
      In all seriousness, never has one match ever swayed a fanbase so much. I'm thinking it might have leant in Rodgers favour prior to the Stoke match?

I just honestly still believe he has a lot to give, but I would be highly deluded if I believed compromises shouldn't be made.

For a start, yes - a world class defensive coach is needed. And hire top top coaches, not three inexperienced blokes from the Championship. And perhaps Brendan is just too hands on - most great managers delegate to their staff to translate their ideals. I fundamentally agree with the principles of Rodgers philosophy. I know it's a word people hate on here, but I love a grand plan that is based on super clubs of the likes of Ajax and Barca.

I don't think it's just the Stoke game mate, the run in was really poor and I suspect the abject performances against the likes of Hull and Palace are factored in. I've benn pretty supportive of Brendan but it did seem as if the players simply jacked it in the moment the champs league looked gone
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #31593: May 31, 2015 07:11:28 am
      1. Failure, went out of the CL tamely and got humiliated along the way
      2. Failure, exited the EL in a humiliating manner
      3. Failure in the League Cup
      3. Stumbled big time in the FA Cup semi-final and also in a very embarrassing manner
      4. Stumbled in the final 8 games from a 3rd spot contender to an also ran
      5. Humiliated big time by Stoke

I hope I haven't missed any. If he had enter a cup final or a 4th placing finish, his head will be spared the chopping block, as it is now I find it difficult.

I'm asking myself an honest question, are these failures and stumbles defendable, I struggle to find reasons to defend BR. There you are BR, your report card. He is just too sentimental, playing the game he used to know forgetting that this is LFC and not SFC while backroom staff are nothing but jesters, inspite of us spending 120 mil on players. IF BR is around next season we'll be seeing almost the same thing or worst. I live in fear now for the club. Never in my 41 years supporting this club that I feel so depressed.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31594: May 31, 2015 08:55:06 am
      1. Failure, went out of the CL tamely and got humiliated along the way
      2. Failure, exited the EL in a humiliating manner
      3. Failure in the League Cup
      3. Stumbled big time in the FA Cup semi-final and also in a very embarrassing manner
      4. Stumbled in the final 8 games from a 3rd spot contender to an also ran
      5. Humiliated big time by Stoke

I hope I haven't missed any. If he had enter a cup final or a 4th placing finish, his head will be spared the chopping block, as it is now I find it difficult.

I'm asking myself an honest question, are these failures and stumbles defendable, I struggle to find reasons to defend BR. There you are BR, your report card. He is just too sentimental, playing the game he used to know forgetting that this is LFC and not SFC while backroom staff are nothing but jesters, inspite of us spending 120 mil on players. IF BR is around next season we'll be seeing almost the same thing or worst. I live in fear now for the club. Never in my 41 years supporting this club that I feel so depressed.

Dead right redkop 63,, nobody could dispute your report,the accuracy is 100% correct.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #31595: May 31, 2015 09:36:26 am
      I think this post hits on the fundamental root of this discussion. There's been a lot of mitigating circumstances to where we are now, but I believe (from watching the reds under Rodgers) that our defensive prospects will never live up to what we expect at LFC. And in turn, limited success - if any, in a footballing sense - is something we'll have to get used to if he continues as manager.

There seems to be a good philosophy about attacking football with Rodgers. Last season we saw that. But without the meat on the bones - in regards to getting proven quality players on the pitch and not relying on 'potential' (for example having a Suarez available..) - then there's more pressure on our defence.

Since Rodgers has been manager, I've been unimpressed about the defensive philosophy. Because there doesn't seem to be one. Set pieces don't look like they're being worked on, at all. There's far too much ball watching that goes on when the ball is in or around the box. And we seem to give full backs a miss if they're fundamentally good at defending, with preference for players who might be able to provide a bit of pace down the wing. Our defence has not improved and in fact it seems to look more fragile these days.  This will only lead one way. Down the league table.

Attacking football is great. Teams playing at Anfield knowing they can score a goal, is not. I think Rodgers has tried to cover the defensive problems with attacking football and that's the only way he'll ever work. It's common knowledge that this will never work to win cups or league titles.

It might keep you hanging around 4th or 5th spot though. Good enough for the owners? Maybe. Good enough for Liverpool fans? No way!

This all day long. We've shipped 141 goals in the 114 league games Brendan has managed us in. Whereas we'd shipped 119 goals in the 114 league games preceding Brendan so defensively it's taken a noticeable turn for the worst since he's come in.

And to emphasise the importance of having a sturdy defence our rivals (in the same time period) have conceded
      114 goals (Arsenal), 98 goals (Chelsea), 108 goals (Manchester City), 123 goals (Scum). So in Brendan's time we've shipped 18 goals more than the second most vulnerable team defensively and that 18 goals makes a massive difference had we scored 18 more or (somehow) conceded 18 less this season we would have finished in the Top 4.

Cheers for that chat, do you know other managers on the list?

Here's my thought: they should be assessing Rodgers, but they should also be assessing his backroom staff and whether they are up to the quality required. Likewise, backroom staff of other prospective candidates should be assessed.

I would like to see Rodgers with the addition of top quality coaches with continental experience.

I guess we will know a lot more now that Klopp is fully available to talk.

But the coaches we have here are the ones Brendan himself chose. We had a top quality #2 with plenty of experience in European competition in Steve Clarke and Brendan showed him the door in favour of his mate Pascoe. We had an experienced first team coach in Kevin Keen who Brendan replaced with Mike Marsh because he's a local. The rest of the staff are either people he brought with him from Swansea or people he deemed fit to keep here. We'd have to impose new coaches on Brendan and if we did so then isn't that an indictment on how weak or compliant Brendan supposedly is? Brendan and his coaching staff aren't mutually exclusive you can't say they're not good enough yet he supposedly is. Unless Brendan himself wants a change they aren't going anywhere.

I would like to see Brendan stay with the addition of top continental coaches - that is my preference, I'm just not sure of the likes of Pascoe and Marsh have the experience and knowledge to instil Brendan's ideals - of which I am in favour of.

Two questions.

#1: Which top continental coaches are readily available Because the top coaches on the continent are either tied up with the best national teams or the best club teams in Europe and why would any of them want to leave a Juventus or a Bayern Munich or even a Benfica in order to work under Brendan Rodgers of all people?

#2: So Marsh and Pascoe aren't experienced or knowledgeable enough to implement Brendan's ideas but Brendan himself is? Even though he failed to do so (miserably) at Reading and Watford and coincidentally the only club he's been able to implement them at was the club who'd already played that way for years before Brendan had even walked through the door there and who have continued to do so almost effortlessly since he left. Hell they've even won more silverware than us in that time.

Does anyone remember this article?

www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-barca-and-tiki-taka

In the three years he's been here have we implemented ANY of the stuff he spoke about here. Granted it sounds great and all but after 3 years surely Brendan should have been able to implement what he supposedly implemented at Swansea in 2 years... With the same coaches.

Klopp on the other hand relies on his coaches and delegates in a way that Ferguson did, he's actually less hands on than Brendan. Perhaps Brendan has to be less hands on in some training matters by hiring and delegating to top quality coaches. That does not undermine managers - it's actually what all the most successful managers do.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Delegation is the way to go. But does Brendan realise it?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #31596: May 31, 2015 10:14:39 am
      And yet they are back clinging on to 3rd spot again this season I see. I suspect it will be another 19 years till they win their next la ligament title.

Not quite 26 years and still counting then...

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #31597: May 31, 2015 10:23:17 am
      OK so what is our upper limit on wages? I'd love to know.

Look at the squad

How many top earners in the game have we brought in under FSG? How many of the signings under their tenure been say over 100k a week? How many on that figure have left during the same period?

Sometimes you don't need something written down or explaining specifically but simply look at what's happening in front of you

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #31598: May 31, 2015 10:31:33 am
      I personally think top players will steer clear if Rodgers is the manager next season... Even if I was in the second or third bracket of talent I'd think twice after watching where last summers players have been placed on the pitch.

I can just imagine the phone call...

Hi, is that you Benteke. It's brendan rodgers here.

Listen son, we'd like you to join the group at Liverpool...

We're moving young Emre into midfield next year so there is a spot at right back available if you're up for it.

Oh and if you see that Nathanial fella from Southampton tell him to give me a call we've got a few positions available up front.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #31599: May 31, 2015 10:56:48 am
      Look at the squad

How many top earners in the game have we brought in under FSG? How many of the signings under their tenure been say over 100k a week? How many on that figure have left during the same period?

Sometimes you don't need something written down or explaining specifically but simply look at what's happening in front of you

It's when you pause and think mate - as I occasionally do - we aren't seriously, substantively linked with many top level stars. There's lots of rumour and speculation but underneath it all we just aren't getting beyond the first agent conversation......: -

"Hi it's Iain Ayre here - we've had permission to speak to abc player and we like to talk to him about the plans BR has for this group and what role we see him playing in that"

Agent: "Excellent - he thinks Liverpool are a great club but he is hungry for the Champions League. What sort of numbers are we talking?"

"Very competitive package - performance related increments and bonuses"

Agent: "Performance related.........I'm looking at six figures per week basic Iain, guaranteed......is that do-able?"

"Sorry must go that's JWH on the Skype for me....must've heard the six figures thing...." Hangs up.

"Boss - can't believe it that's another one got away. Yep preferred London again. Unbelievable job I'm doing here in the circumstances - like missionary work really"

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015 11:23:30 am by Scotia »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31600: May 31, 2015 11:40:59 am
      However, Liverpool are pressing ahead with attempts to sign Christian Benteke, Nathaniel Clyne, James Milner and Danny Ings – all targets favoured by Rodgers.*

That is scary.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #31601: May 31, 2015 11:43:50 am
      However, Liverpool are pressing ahead with attempts to sign Christian Benteke, Nathaniel Clyne, James Milner and Danny Ings – all targets favoured by Rodgers.*

That is scary.
      Source please?

Quick Reply