Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3064478 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31671: May 31, 2015 09:44:17 pm
      BTW, I've no problem with people who have changed their minds since Xmas or whatever and feel that BR is no longer the man for them. Everyone has their tipping point.

But there are some who appear to have wanted him gone almost since day one, hate his guts, obviously have no respect for him, don't want to acknowledge anything he has done, seem to think that ANYONE would be an improvement.   What's that all about ...

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31672: May 31, 2015 09:45:24 pm
      So what are you saying you are in the 25% and must be wrong.

Sure, I could be wrong. Could you guys be wrong?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31673: May 31, 2015 09:52:55 pm
      You say that but if I were a neutral and a good football player and somebody said Liverpool were interested in me right now I would say no thanks, but if Pep Guardiola or Klopp was the manager saying he would rebuild the team I would think about it. Top managers can lure top players.

If your Grandad (who you love) offers you 10 grand to do a job, you say OK.

If another guy you don't really know offers you 20 grand to do a similar job ... unfortunately the next conversion is 'grandad, listen, this guy offered me..'
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31674: May 31, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Fair enough mate I expected nothing less than honesty off you. Just so I'm clear though and not putting any words in your mouth, what was the answer to the question?

Short term pain long term gain Mick.

Never would I ever want anything to do with our club to fail but a disastrous start may get the penny to drop.

May I just post something else ?

After the Stoke game came out the selfpity ..

" There is a lot that has happened here this season which has made the job difficult ". 

Like What ?

Â£100 million in transfer funds ?  Nine new players ? To kick on and move one place up the League ?
      I dont think so .
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31675: May 31, 2015 09:58:58 pm
      Short term pain long term gain Mick.

Never would I ever want anything to do with our club to fail but a disastrous start may get the penny to drop.

May I just post something else ?

After the Stoke game came out the selfpity ..

" There is a lot that has happened here this season which has made the job difficult ". 

Like What ?

Â£100 in million transfer funds ?  Nine new players ? To kick on and move one place up the League ?
      I dont think so .

That's why although we totally disagree Skip I've got the utmost respect for your stance (although like I say I totally disagree mate with just about every word you type). You've been honest from day one, "short term pain long term gain" is exactly what I meant. Thanks for being honest about it, my guess is not many others will join you.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,228 posts | 845 
      Reply #31676: May 31, 2015 10:02:17 pm
      Why is three years the cut off? Is it because Brendan said judge me in three years? Is it because the typical contract is three years?

I'm not sure why people can necessarily expect a three year turnaround given the constrictions FSG puts on the manager. If Rafa comes back will he be given three years by supporters or will he be given as much time as needed based on his prior success with us?

I still believe that while there are some that want Brendan gone for valid reasons, there is a large group that want him gone because they don't like him personally. So for that group it does t matter what he does, they put their own personal feelings above the club's best interest.

No, I'm not assuming on what Brendan said, I've always set 3 years to judge a manager. You can have a sense of how things are going and if he is the right man.

I was a strong critic of Rafa, I don't discuss much about him because he is gone and there is nothing to discuss, but I was one of the first ones who wanted him gone after we finished 7th, I thought we needed a change at that time. Any manager needs at least 3 seasons to show his true potential, to me that's the minimum, others might think 4 years, or 5, depends on each one in the end. That's why owners usually give contracts between 3-5 years and not more than that. Also, I don't buy that restrictions that FSG puts on a manager, to be honest we spend as much as we make and that's kind of fair.

I'm not one of them, frankly I have no personal grudges on Rodgers, I've never even met the guy! He doesn't even know I exist! I just look at how good he is as a coach and as a manager to know  if he is the right person for us, and to be honest he isn't.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31677: May 31, 2015 10:04:24 pm
      Why is three years the cut off? Is it because Brendan said judge me in three years? Is it because the typical contract is three years?
      I would say most managers of a top club get one year to prove themselves regardless of money, 3 years is quite a long time to not win anything and finish outside the top four in the third year, especially considering the money invested.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,321 posts | 4956 
      Reply #31678: May 31, 2015 10:18:19 pm
      Serious question. If Brendan DOES keep his job, would the guys that desperately want him out be hoping that we have a disasterous start to the season in order that FSG are put under serious pressure to get rid of him by Christmas, or would they rather we start pretty well and have a reasonable season perhaps even scraping into fourth, which would probably be enough for Brendan to keep his job again?

Honest answers only please. 

I'm not sure if you would class me as one who 'desperately wants him out' Mick but I am one who does think his time is up.

Having said that if he is to be the manager next season I once again hope he gets all the players he wants over the summer and he will have my support and I would love to be proven wrong and for Brendan to show the form from January time last season is the real Brendan Rodgers Liverpool.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #31679: May 31, 2015 10:19:07 pm
      Serious question. If Brendan DOES keep his job, would the guys that desperately want him out be hoping that we have a disasterous start to the season in order that FSG are put under serious pressure to get rid of him by Christmas, or would they rather we start pretty well and have a reasonable season perhaps even scraping into fourth, which would probably be enough for Brendan to keep his job again?

Honest answers only please.
      Impossible question to answer, a reasonable season and getting to fourth is about as good as we currently are, and therefore success, but I can't know that would happen and therefore there isn't a choice.  This season I think we could and should have achieved fourth. Next seasons expectations are only possible once I see how our top 4 rivals strengthen and of course us.

The question is essentially, IMO, who wants him gone now, and I guess the poll reflects that, I personally have very little faith in his ability to actually, step by step, get us to the title or do anything significant in Europe, (Champions league). The problem is we have fallen so far in the pecking order that options for replacement are very limited, I see the posts mention Guardiola/Ancelloti which embarrass me no end. I want him gone now, but we need someone better, and if he stays I STILL will not bi*ch and moan during the matches I attend. Venting opinion on here or with a group of friends over a pint is my choice.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31680: May 31, 2015 10:53:12 pm

That's why although we totally disagree Skip I've got the utmost respect for your stance (although like I say I totally disagree mate with just about every word you type). You've been honest from day one, "short term pain long term gain" is exactly what I meant. Thanks for being honest about it, my guess is not many others will join you.

Thanks Mick  as I respect your view and always have done .

I have supported every manager from Shankly onwards .
      I was critical of Souness and five years ago on this forum I felt that Rafa had gone stale. He was though under massive pressure behind the scenes but we all loved the guy and still hold him fondly in our hearts.
      Rafa achieved . He didnt try to be something or someone he wasnt.

Brendan surfed on Suarez's wave last season with a lamentable defence.

This year we had the reality. 6th place.  Where have we progressed in three years ? We haven't.

Didnt Brendan tell us after Swansea that we were going for second place ?  !

Its all crap.  5th place (6th actually) and two semi finals are apparently "PAR" for us. Liverpool Football Club.

Really ?  Shankly would turn.

We have the wrong guy Mick  .
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2015 09:32:12 am by eurored »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31681: May 31, 2015 11:00:28 pm
      Have to agree with Mick eurored. Although I don't share many of your views and have verbally jousted with you over them. I have respect for you, not only for standing by your convictions, but not hiding behind any thinly veiled attempts to be a snidey twunt.  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2015 07:19:23 am by Beerbelly »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31682: May 31, 2015 11:02:26 pm
      Have to agree with Mick eurored. Although I don't share many of your views and have verbally jousted with you over them, I have respect for you, standing by your convictions.

Thank you,

One of the 34 no less  BB  ;D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31683: May 31, 2015 11:03:58 pm

Got the wrong owners, scouts and upper management also so BR is not alone.

You can remove BR and bring in XYZ manager and we are still going to be lucky to squeak out a CL spot each year if nothing else changes.

Facht.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6418 
      Reply #31684: May 31, 2015 11:07:03 pm
      No, I'm not assuming on what Brendan said, I've always set 3 years to judge a manager. You can have a sense of how things are going and if he is the right man.

I was a strong critic of Rafa, I don't discuss much about him because he is gone and there is nothing to discuss, but I was one of the first ones who wanted him gone after we finished 7th, I thought we needed a change at that time. Any manager needs at least 3 seasons to show his true potential, to me that's the minimum, others might think 4 years, or 5, depends on each one in the end. That's why owners usually give contracts between 3-5 years and not more than that. Also, I don't buy that restrictions that FSG puts on a manager, to be honest we spend as much as we make and that's kind of fair.

I'm not one of them, frankly I have no personal grudges on Rodgers, I've never even met the guy! He doesn't even know I exist! I just look at how good he is as a coach and as a manager to know  if he is the right person for us, and to be honest he isn't.

That's fair, I've said before it's hard to mount a defense for Rodgers based on how this season has gone, my worries are just creating even more uncertainty by changing managers. It's enough for me to not be in favor of changing at this point.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31685: May 31, 2015 11:07:32 pm
      Thanks for being honest about it, my guess is not many others will join you.

99 at most  Mick. 

;D

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31686: May 31, 2015 11:18:30 pm
      Got the wrong owners, scouts and upper management also so BR is not alone.

You can remove BR and bring in XYZ manager and we are still going to be lucky to squeak out a CL spot each year if nothing else changes.

Facht.

I completely agree with this. For those who want Brendan out, they must equally protest the mismanagement of the club with no trace of a top experienced football man to guide things. I think it is something we can all agree on with that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31687: May 31, 2015 11:23:04 pm
      I completely agree with this. For those who want Brendan out, they must equally protest the mismanagement of the club with no trace of a top experienced football man to guide things. I think it is something we can all agree on with that.

We Can.

BTW :Anyone notice what Iago Aspas has been up to? Take a look.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6418 
      Reply #31688: May 31, 2015 11:24:57 pm
      We Can.

BTW :Anyone notice what Iago Aspas has been up to? Take a look.
      Is he practicing corners? Because he should be.....a lot.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31689: May 31, 2015 11:42:33 pm

Here is the honest truth no holds bar.

FSG is not going to listen to supporters anymore...in they're minds they tried it with Kenny and once was too many times; we all can pontificate and show outrage on an internet forum and it means f**k all to them.

You want change...you want to make a difference?...Go get about  1000-5000 of your closest friends, go make flags and banners of Standard Charter, Dunkin Donuts, New Balance and a few others. Take those flags and march hand in hand down Anfield Road, go to Stanley Park and start lighting them on fire....do this 1/2 dozen times and we might see some serious change.

Everything else is just talk...lots of talk..talk of protest and power.

Power means nothing if it is not show; until then its just talk.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31690: Jun 01, 2015 12:03:03 am
      Here is the honest truth no holds bar.

FSG is not going to listen to supporters anymore...in they're minds they tried it with Kenny and once was too many times; we all can pontificate and show outrage on an internet forum and it means f**k all to them.

You want change...you want to make a difference?...Go get about  1000-5000 of your closest friends, go make flags and banners of Standard Charter, Dunkin Donuts, New Balance and a few others. Take those flags and march hand in hand down Anfield Road, go to Stanley Park and start lighting them on fire....do this 1/2 dozen times and we might see some serious change.

Everything else is just talk...lots of talk..talk of protest and power.

Power means nothing if it is not show; until then its just talk.

It's not the commercial side of it that is the issue. They seem experts on that, and being fair, they have done a good job in getting us sponsors.

But it seems they just know diddly squat about football - how criminal is it that the man leading all football operations is a bloke called Mike Gordon from the United States?

There's no footballing brainiac up in senior management, and the closest we have got to there being one is Damian Commolli. DAMIAN COMMOLLI! By no means perfect as has been argued to death here, but at least he gave us Suarez! A bit like his time at Tottenham, he could unearth some real gems like Modric or Bale, and with us he gave us Suarez. There is absolutely no chance of this current structure ever providing us with a player of that standard ever again, especially if the best we can do is to employ, for example, a failed manager who got Rushden and Diamond relegated from the football league and failed ex-Man City scouts where nine times out of ten, all their signings have been utter pish, with inadequacies covered up by obvious quality like Silva, Toure and Aguero.

Honestly, three years ago, I really do wish we had hired someone like Van Gaal to become DOF and would have seemed a perfect fit for Rodgers style of play (barring the long ball phases at United, Van Gaal has a proven track record of producing Dutch pass and move teams). At least he has continental knowledge and experience of working with top clubs so would have been able to give recommendations to the structure.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31691: Jun 01, 2015 12:10:43 am
      It's not the commercial side of it that is the issue. They seem experts on that, and being fair, they have done a good job in getting us sponsors.

But it seems they just know diddly squat about football - how criminal is it that the man leading all football operations is a bloke called Mike Gordon from the United States?

There's no footballing brainiac up in senior management, and the closest we have got to there being one is Damian Commolli. DAMIAN COMMOLLI! By no means perfect as has been argued to death here, but at least he gave us Suarez! A bit like his time at Tottenham, he could unearth some real gems like Modric or Bale, and with us he gave us Suarez. There is absolutely no chance of this current structure ever providing us with a player of that standard ever again, especially if the best we can do is to employ, for example, a failed manager who got Rushden and Diamond relegated from the football league and failed ex-Man City scouts where nine times out of ten, all their signings have been utter pish, with inadequacies covered up by obvious quality like Silva, Toure and Aguero.

Honestly, three years ago, I really do wish we had hired someone like Van Gaal to become DOF and would have seemed a perfect fit for Rodgers style of play (barring the long ball phases at United, Van Gaal has a proven track record of producing Dutch pass and move teams). At least he has continental knowledge and experience of working with top clubs so would have been able to give recommendations to the structure.

Your not going to force change on the footballing side SoaG without hitting them on the commercial side; God's honest truth.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31692: Jun 01, 2015 06:30:44 am
      I wonder will Klopp be given 3 seasons by fans to prove himself, since that's the gauge we're using. The majority opinion seems to be that if Klopp had been in charge with these players, we would be in the top 4 and have won a cup, so what happens if he comes in, and we only finish 5th?
      I would personally see what he's up against, with our rivals strengthening their squads with top players, and having his hands tied with regards to our policy, and give him time to get it right.

If Klopp does come in, we have to realize he's not a miracle worker, and the premier league is one of the toughest in the world.
      I still believe under Rodgers we will improve next season, and if he's still in charge he'll have my full support.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4844 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31693: Jun 01, 2015 07:43:38 am
      Werner flying in today apparently. We should hear something by this time tomorrow.

Whoever is the manager I just hope that we aren't signing Benteke for £30 million because if we do, no matter what, the transfer committed is carrying on regardless which in itself is very worrying.

Quick Reply